• Switch84
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Michael Vick Takes Guilty Plea!!

Save | Email this Article E-mail | Print this Article Print

clock Aug 20, 2007 2:25 pm US/Eastern
    Michael Vick To Enter Guilty Plea
    CBS News Interactive: Sports Scandals

(AP) RICHMOND, Va. The Virginia Pilot newspaper is reporting that Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal with a likely prison sentence, to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case, according to one of his attorneys.

A grand jury is scheduled to convene on Monday in the federal court where Vick and three co-defendants were indicted on dogfighting charges last month.

There's no indication whether the grand jury will take up further allegations against Vick, although federal prosecutors have said they plan to seek a superseding indictment in the case.

That would mean more charges against Vick, the lone defendant who has not been convicted now that all three of his co-defendants have reached plea deals.

Vick's attorneys were negotiating with federal prosecutors last week, hoping to strike a deal on a plea agreement.

Prosecutors have declined to comment outside court on negotiations with Vick's attorneys. Collins Spencer III, a spokesman for Vick's defense team, said on Sunday there was nothing new to report.

Vick's last two co-defendants pleaded guilty on Friday and said he bankrolled gambling on dogfights at Vick's property in rural Surry County, not far from his hometown of Newport News. Tony Taylor struck a similar deal last month.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Sentencings are set for November and December.

The gambling allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban against Vick under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

(© 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. )
    "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
    Blackflag on DLR
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Vick = Done

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

CFL?

Comment

• Switch84
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

Prison Football League (think "The Longest Yard").
        "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
        Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

I find it somewhat amazing that it boils down to what 1 man decides to do to another.
          Who is the judge that gives the sentence? I am hearing that 5 years is the max punishment. Big difference over 18 months.
          I think Vick could return if he does 2 years or less...the guy will become even a bigger draw to the fans. He will probably get a suspension from the NFL for a year or 2...and get signed by an owner that needs to sell some tickets shortly after.

Comment

• chi-town324
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Feb 2007

he could and probably will get a lifetime ban from the NFL for funding and gambling on the fights on his property. I would be shocked if he ever plays in the NFL again.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
              I find it somewhat amazing that it boils down to what 1 man decides to do to another.
              Who is the judge that gives the sentence? I am hearing that 5 years is the max punishment. Big difference over 18 months.
              I think Vick could return if he does 2 years or less...the guy will become even a bigger draw to the fans. He will probably get a suspension from the NFL for a year or 2...and get signed by an owner that needs to sell some tickets shortly after.
              Talking Feds though. And this judge Hudson is tough and an outdoorsman, which doesn't bode well.

If he were to go to trial and be convicted by a jury, he would be looking at the 5 years. This plea agreement will put him somewhere between 1 and 2 years. The gambling this is huge, he was the money man behind it all, financed an illegal activity with cruelty to animals on top of it all.

Those other guys participated, and have records, which Mike doesn't, but he has had his name thrown around with the water bottle incident and the "Ron Mexico" deal where he gave some women the herpes.

So he does his time, that shoots 2007 and 2008 basically and then the commish of the NFL hands down probably a year. You're looking at Vick trying to comeback in 2010. And then what team wants that hassle? Is he the same QB at 31? Out of the game for 3 seasons?

I'm truly thinking CFL, and not joking.

Comment

• Viking
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

He used to do AirTran radio commercials for some of the local AM stations in the Atlanta area. He might be a good quarterback, but he's otherwise a semi-literate, semi-coherent sack of jock shit that'll be broke, on the dole, and a fixture on the 11 O'Clock Police Report a year after he gets parole and the NFL declares him persona non grata. Think Mike Tyson with cleats. Or The Surreal Life: Locker Room Edition.

Watch.

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2006

I have heard this same argument from a few of my friends. Sell tickets? I would think that it would hinder ticket sales. IMO

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                    Commando
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by chi-town324
                    he could and probably will get a lifetime ban from the NFL for funding and gambling on the fights on his property. I would be shocked if he ever plays in the NFL again.
                    Driving back from Pa today, my wife and I heard the latest news, and I said the exact same thing.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz

So he does his time, that shoots 2007 and 2008 basically and then the commish of the NFL hands down probably a year. You're looking at Vick trying to comeback in 2010. And then what team wants that hassle? Is he the same QB at 31? Out of the game for 3 seasons?

I'm truly thinking CFL, and not joking.
                      I would imagine he will come out of prison in reasonably good shape..31 isn't that old...Granted the guy isnt a pocket passer..and would need another full year to get in the groove, making him 32..
                      I think the guy is too big of a draw not to make it back into the NFL somewhere

Comment

• Fairwrning
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TAKIN WHISKEY
                        I have heard this same argument from a few of my friends. Sell tickets? I would think that it would hinder ticket sales. IMO
                        No way it hinders ticket sales..look at Barry Bonds..
                        the guy is the biggest draw in baseball..and he is the most frowned upon as well
                        Last edited by Fairwrning; 08-20-2007, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2006

No way it hinders ticket sales..look at Barry Bonds..
                          the guy is the biggest draw in baseball..and he is the most frowned upon as well
                          Maybe people are more forgiving with steroids than dog fighting? I can see your point. It would just cause so much outrage amongst the NFL and I don't think Vick is even good enough to ruin an image of a team/franchise/community over. But, this is America. LOL

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                            Sniper
                            • Feb 2007

I think the guy is too big of a draw not to make it back into the NFL somewhere
                            I could be wrong, but Roger Goodell seems like the real deal. I really think he wants to clean up the NFL. I hope he does, this thug life crap has gotten out of hand. I've posted this video before, but I love the message it brings, so I'll post it again. WARNING! This video might be offensive to some. Mike Vick and people like him, must pay!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWyz9WAIakQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWyz9WAIakQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                            https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I cant watch that video..refuse to..I saw the Real Sports HBO report on dogfighting..sickening.
                              I am not condoning what the dumbass did..and the new Commish is a kick-ass..no mercy kinda guy..
                              Vick could be done..but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw him in the NFL again.

Comment

Working...