X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

The Official Toronto 10/7 Meetup/Review Thread

Please use this thread to discuss any preshow meetups, show reviews, setlists, debauchery with farm animals, and anything else related to the first Toronto show.

Thanks,
    VA
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Bump....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• m_dixon1984
      Foot Soldier
      • Aug 2004

I'll try ths again...

I'll be downtown and ready for food and beer around 4pm on Sunday.

I'm willing to meet up anywhere within a 10 minute cab ride to the ACC. Or 10-15 minute walk.

If any of you locals are meeting up I'd be thrilled to join you. Tippin' a few back with Army members would be quite fitting on this momentous occasion.

M
      http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...rip10_full.jpg

Comment

• maxpower
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by m_dixon1984
        I'll try ths again...

I'll be downtown and ready for food and beer around 4pm on Sunday.

I'm willing to meet up anywhere within a 10 minute cab ride to the ACC. Or 10-15 minute walk.

If any of you locals are meeting up I'd be thrilled to join you. Tippin' a few back with Army members would be quite fitting on this momentous occasion.

M
        The last time I was in Toronto was for the 2004 VH tour and we went to a bar just across the street from the Fairmont Hotel. The place was packed full of Van Halen fans. I remember there was a radio station on site and it was a mix of Sammy and Dave fans. I had my "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" Tshrit on and had a lot of Dave fans come up to me and said how liked the shirt.

Unless there's a closer bar than this then you can count on me and a few of my buddies being there.

Not sure the name of the bar but if you're leaving the Fairmont looking towards Union Station then it's off to your right.

Cheers!
        Derrick

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Do they serve Molson Ex and Crown Royal ?
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jgdrag
            Sniper
            • Jul 2005

A bunch of us are going to The Irish Embassy, Corner of Welington and Yonge

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Stickied, T minus one week....

Comment

• maxpower
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by maxpower
                The last time I was in Toronto was for the 2004 VH tour and we went to a bar just across the street from the Fairmont Hotel. The place was packed full of Van Halen fans. I remember there was a radio station on site and it was a mix of Sammy and Dave fans. I had my "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" Tshrit on and had a lot of Dave fans come up to me and said how liked the shirt.

Unless there's a closer bar than this then you can count on me and a few of my buddies being there.

Not sure the name of the bar but if you're leaving the Fairmont looking towards Union Station then it's off to your right.

Cheers!
                Derrick
                Originally posted by diamondjimi
                Do they serve Molson Ex and Crown Royal ?
                Not sure.... I was only there that one time and that was 3 years ago. I'll probably head there again this year since it's only a 5 minute walk to the ACC.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I'll be at some bar, but not likely one close to the ACC. Going with a friend who's not part of this site. If we pass anyplace close and stop in for a beer, I'll search out any RothArmy shirts!!! One more day muthafuckas!!!!!!
                  Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• m_dixon1984
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Aug 2004

Since the Irish Embassy was mentioned and it's around 5 minutes from the ACC I think I'll be heading there. I Should be there between 4 and 5.

Yell for Matt and look for the big guy at the bar looking for who called his name.

You want more specific meet up info., PM me.

M
                    http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...rip10_full.jpg

Comment

• jgdrag
                      Sniper
                      • Jul 2005

Irish Embassy at 4:00

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Ok you mother fuckers, have a kick ass time!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Tee minus 4 hrs !

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• moose
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

Van fuckin TASTIC!

Get tickets and go to the show!!!

I'll post video and pics later!

Comment

• Jurak
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Mar 2005

This just in from Toronto....... good reviews......

Van Halen takes first Canadian city of new tour by storm

Gregory Bonnell, THE CANADIAN PRESS
                              TORONTO - The Van Halen jukebox of hits descended on the first Canadian city of its semi-reunion tour Sunday night, a relentless machine designed solely to whip fans into a frenzy through the high-octane delivery of David Lee Roth-era classics.

The two-hour show left nothing to be desired for Toronto fans who've been waiting more than two decades for Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth to share a stage and reprise the back catalogue.

The band delivered obscure treasures like "Little Guitars" alongside monster hits like "Panama."
                              Diamond Dave's voice was powerful, Eddie's guitar wizardry front and centre.

It was perfect, almost too perfect.

For all Roth's talk about this being a new band and a new beginning, they did not stray from the Van Halen canon of classics committed to vinyl between 1978 and 1984.

This was a nostalgic, hit-delivery machine and no one was complaining.

"Finally, they're together," Michael Campbell, 44, said of Roth rejoining the Van Halen brothers. "They should have done this 20 years ago."

For purists, the reunion has been somewhat marred. Original bassist Michael Anthony, who has logged far more hours in Van Halen than Roth, has been replaced by Eddie's son Wolfgang.

Still, the teenage Van Halen proved his worth Sunday night, taking on Anthony's high harmony parts and even eliciting fist pumps from the crowd as he hit the catwalk.

Alex Van Halen's drum solo allowed the other brother his moment, but the fans saved their fiercest howls of approval for Dave and Eddie.

"I heard you missed us, we're back," Roth, putting extra emphasis on the lyrics to "Hot For Teacher," barked to rapturous applause.

If the old antagonisms between the singer and his virtuoso guitarist still exist there were no visible signs Sunday. The two men embraced several times during the show.

Roth strutted like the proverbial cat that swallowed the canary. His permanent grin seemed to say every chance to sing the old songs was a guilty little pleasure he was willing to share with the world.

The onslaught of classic Van Halen material began with the show's opener, their 1978 cover of The Kinks "You Really Got Me."

"I'm The One" was followed by "Runnin' With The Devil," followed in turn by "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" - all staples of Van Halen's live show before Roth's acrimonious departure in 1985.

Roth-era Van Halen songs never sounded quite right from the mouths of subsequent singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone. Although strong singers both, Roth's delivery is all about personality and his performance Sunday made it clear there's only one Diamond Dave.

"I'm sitting on top of the world, yes I am," Roth sang with a wink and a nudge in "Beautiful Girls" that suggested he had found his way back to his true calling.

For fans, the feeling was mutual.

"Sammy Hagar was 'a' singer for Van Halen, but David Lee Roth is 'the' singer for Van Halen," said Rob Brayford, 41.

His friend Rob Vaillancourt concurred.

"Dave is the man, that's why everyone is here," said the 42-year old. "If they had a different singer, nobody would see it."

If there were any questions of whether three men in their 50s and a 16-year-old boy could gel and make decades old material spring to life, they were put to rest.

Roth has long lost the whistle-register squeals and yelps of days past, but his voice was strong nonetheless. The band delivered the material like fans remembered it and flaws were hard, if not impossible, to pick out.

Van Halen's signature Frankenstein guitar, the iconic red homemade job featuring random white and black stripes, was used sparingly - taking a back seat to his mainstay these days, a light-brown model of his own design.

It wouldn't have been a Van Halen show if the resident guitar hero didn't take the solo spotlight. Bits and pieces of "Eruption" and "Cathedral" were weaved into a blistering wall of guitar screeches and wails that bounced off the walls of the Air Canada Centre and pierced skulls.

Their shaggy manes may be gone, but Van Halen with Roth delivered every fan's dream - all hits and no filler. A monster machine aimed to please.

Their 1984 hit "Jump" provided the encore material - surely enough to hold the fans until they return Friday for a second sold out Toronto show.

The band returns to Canada before year's end for shows in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
                              "Hear that O.F.? If old school Army gals with solid track records of contribution choose to bless us with their tits, ass, vagina, or just sexy eye shots, leave them be (at least until I've had a chance to rub one out)..."
                              That is all.
                              Icon.

"we've always known that van hagar fans are the stupidest people on the planet but my god! "

Comment

Working...