PDA

View Full Version : College

Redballjets88
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Alright I staerted college last week, and it isn't bad at all. In my government, history, and composition classes that it. But when it comes to doing math I might be mentally retarded. College algebra is kicking the shit out of me. Anybody know of a good way to learn this shit for someone who doesn't get it at all and is not interested in what the factor of x^2b^3(cr) is. its bullshit. im a history major i dont need math.

Nickdfresh
09-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Get a tutor in the academic skills dept., or whatever their equivalent is...

Redballjets88
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
yeah i probably should, Im going to see how my test goes tomorrow and depending on that I'll probably check that out. who knows maybe the tutor will be a hott chick and ill then enjoy tutoring

Shaun Ponsonby
09-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Never understood why its so important to do those stupid algebra equations. I aked a maths teacher exactly WHY we need to do them, what profession could we possibly use the for except scientist? Her reply was "painter and decorator". Yes. Of course.

Redballjets88
09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Never understood why its so important to do those stupid algebra equations. I aked a maths teacher exactly WHY we need to do them, what profession could we possibly use the for except scientist? Her reply was "painter and decorator". Yes. Of course.

thats so fucking true. the best math class i took in highschool was math models (its pretty much math for retards, or slackers during senior year) the entire thing was business related math it was the only shit that was applicable to real life. I got an A in it because when it comes to that kind of math its easy because it is used and logical. algebra is retarded.

Jimmy Jingles
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Just remember...

2+2 = BEER

Redballjets88
09-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
Just remember...

2+2 = BEER

if only that was the utter truth. I'd be a mathmetician

Vanessa
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
Alright I staerted college last week, and it isn't bad at all. In my government, history, and composition classes that it. But when it comes to doing math I might be mentally retarded. College algebra is kicking the shit out of me. Anybody know of a good way to learn this shit for someone who doesn't get it at all and is not interested in what the factor of x^2b^3(cr) is. its bullshit. im a history major i dont need math.

yeah true i've taken the same math class twice and failed and it's only arithmetic and it's the lowest level math class you can take :D

ALinChainz
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Lots of websites on the net that can help with procedures and formulas dude.

Lots of them.

Nitro Express
09-06-2007, 11:43 PM

Drop the class if you don't get it. Most colleges teach a basic math course that's pre algebra. Take it. Your major might be history but you have no idea what jobs you will be working in after you graduate. I had three jobs I had to take a math test to get. One was just to deliver bottled gas to customers but I needed basic algebra skills to pass the test.

Everyone should be able to pass college algebra with an A if they have a good instructor and have their basic math skills down. One problem is our schools are horrible at teaching math. Absolutely HORRIBLE! My 8 year old had to show her teacher how to do long division. The teachers don't know the shit. So the results is full basic math classes in college.

Get some good basic instruction and you might find you don't suck at math as bad as you thought. It's a hard, detailed subject so a good instructor is a must!

I got good at math in high school. We had a hardcore Iranian math instructor who made us work the problems out on the board and if you were lost, public ridicule! To his credit he was available during study period, lunch, and after school by appointment. I was under pressure because my brother was a former student of his and he was a mathemetical geniouse that went to Stanford on a Bosch and Lomb scholorship and I was just an average student that didn't particularly care for math. I got through college calculus with all A's but I worked my ass off to get those grades.

Nitro Express
09-06-2007, 11:52 PM
You can't jump halway into math and do well. Can you add and subtract without counting everything out? Do you know your times tables? Can you do long division problems? If you are having a difficult time here and many adults do, it's time to learn basic math.

College is assuming you have mastered that level already. I once had to use alegebra to convert a formula to mix a cold weather fuel for snowmobiles. It was so fucking cold the computer wouldn't work so I did the conversions with a piece of paper. A calculator was useless because they don't work well in sub zero tempuratures.

blonddgirl777
09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
... College algebra is kicking the shit out of me. Anybody know of a good way to learn this shit for someone who doesn't get it at all and is not interested in what the factor of x^2b^3(cr) is...

Cheating at exams!
I've written those formulas on my arms and thighs (but I know you won't wear a skirt)...
Also, back in my college years, we where allowed to go to the bathroom during exams... so I once hid a little peace of paper that I went to refer to...

But don't get cought doing this... get a tutor...
It's not THAT hard to understand (you can do it)!

Nitro Express
09-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Cheating at exams!
I've written those formulas on my arms and thighs (but I know you won't wear a skirt)...
Also, back in my college years, we where allowed to go to the bathroom during exams... so I once hid a little peace of paper that I went to refer to...

But don't get cought doing this... get a tutor...
It's not THAT hard to understand (you can do it)!

You don't dare cheat when your instructor is a hardcore muslim! He probably had a sword in his office to behead you if you go caught! That man scared me into straight A's.

blonddgirl777
09-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
You don't dare cheat when your instructor is a hardcore muslim! He probably had a sword in his office to behead you if you go caught! That man scared me into straight A's.

I was a smart cheater... never got cought!
I could be very hypocrit, putting that "angel face"...

College was fun... beleive it or not, we where allower to smoke in class!

Those where the days...

binnie
09-07-2007, 02:25 AM
The only way to understand something that you find difficult is perseverence...

It''ll be more rewarding too.

Finding someone in your class who understands it would be a good idea too, maybe they can explain it better than the teacher...

Dan
09-07-2007, 02:39 AM
No Pain,No Gain.:)

Redballjets88
09-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Drop the class if you don't get it. Most colleges teach a basic math course that's pre algebra. Take it. Your major might be history but you have no idea what jobs you will be working in after you graduate. I had three jobs I had to take a math test to get. One was just to deliver bottled gas to customers but I needed basic algebra skills to pass the test.

Everyone should be able to pass college algebra with an A if they have a good instructor and have their basic math skills down. One problem is our schools are horrible at teaching math. Absolutely HORRIBLE! My 8 year old had to show her teacher how to do long division. The teachers don't know the shit. So the results is full basic math classes in college.

Get some good basic instruction and you might find you don't suck at math as bad as you thought. It's a hard, detailed subject so a good instructor is a must!

I got good at math in high school. We had a hardcore Iranian math instructor who made us work the problems out on the board and if you were lost, public ridicule! To his credit he was available during study period, lunch, and after school by appointment. I was under pressure because my brother was a former student of his and he was a mathemetical geniouse that went to Stanford on a Bosch and Lomb scholorship and I was just an average student that didn't particularly care for math. I got through college calculus with all A's but I worked my ass off to get those grades.

im good at basic math. and im in intermediate algebra, aka pre-algebra. Took the test today, had no idea how to do it. I got a few answers via cheating so that was good. The professor is a cunt because she explains nothing and feels we should al already know it. But if the class already knew it no one would be in her bullshit class.

Nitro Express
09-08-2007, 03:45 AM
im good at basic math. and im in intermediate algebra, aka pre-algebra. Took the test today, had no idea how to do it. I got a few answers via cheating so that was good. The professor is a cunt because she explains nothing and feels we should al already know it. But if the class already knew it no one would be in her bullshit class.

Math is all the teacher. I would drop the class because you are better off getting a good grade later than a lousey one now. I think getting good math grades is important no matter what your major is because they are considered in some graduate programs. Why handicap yourself?

You need to find a good instructor. I lucked out in my Calculus I class. The instructor was a grad student I was fucking at the time! I always made sure she had a good orgasm before a test day. LOL!

NATEDOG001976
09-12-2007, 01:04 AM

Just do it. Yes it sucks, I know. On the weekends go drink lots of beer, go to frat parties, make out with a bunch of chicks, then get laid. It worked wonders for my grades when I did it.

jharp84
09-12-2007, 01:16 AM
fUCK THA MATH! DO THE METH!! just kiddin my man! HANG TOUGH!! WE WILL OVERCOME!!

jharp84
09-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
Just remember...

2+2 = BEER

JJ - my new hero!!

jharp84
09-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Wiat til ya get to accounting/statistics/finance!! SEE VH 2007 Don't worry Bout notin!! Juice Trust me - I been dare!! If I can make it? You will FLOURISH!!!

NATEDOG001976
09-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
Wiat til ya get to accounting/statistics/finance!! SEE VH 2007 Don't worry Bout notin!! Juice Trust me - I been dare!! If I can make it? You will FLOURISH!!!

God, I hated accounting! I threw my book so many times!

jharp84
09-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Finance was my DEATH!!

Redballjets88
09-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by jharp84

see thats the thing, Im good at that kind of math, My senior year of highschool I took business math instead of calculus and made an A after making C's in my algebra and geometry classes.