X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Kisw Fm 99.9

Pretty cool..they used CVH and DLR in their promos!

Historical station IDs

Through the 1980s, KISW’s trademark station ID included the opening power-chord slam from the Thin Lizzy song “Jail Break”, followed immediately by the voice of Van Halen singer David Lee Roth naming the call letters K-I-S-W, and the station’s slogan, “Seattle’s Best Rock”. Another ID featured all four member of Van Halen yelling the call letters with David Lee Roth over the end with the slogan. This was acceptable to the FCC as a legal ID, required at the top of each hour, because the call letters were said directly before the city.

Audio Files:

* KISW ID #1 *
    * KISW ID #2 *

Anyone know how to convert an ogg file into like an mp3 or something...That would be much appreciated!
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team
  • Wawazat
    ROCKSTAR

• Jul 2005

Re: Kisw Fm 99.9

Originally posted by Unchainme

Anyone know how to convert an ogg file into like an mp3 or something...That would be much appreciated!
    Here are the 2 files in mp3:

4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!

4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!
    Day-dreaming's gone commercial

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

God damn, I hadn't heard those promos in over 20 years. Great find, grasshopper. It's too bad they don't have links to the live in studio appearances that Van HALEN made back in 1978-79. If only I had a tape recorder that was worth a shit back then

KISW was one of the, if not THE best radio station in America back in those days. Now it's a half assed talk radio station overnight, and plays that nu-metal shit that passes for "rock" during the day. The DJ's who made the station great (Steve Slaton, Gary Crow and the Bob Rivers crew) have all moved on to KZOK. Which still plays Van HALEN, but obviously can't use the old station ID's.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

I remember that...

Now FORD, how can you say that was the best radio station in America ??

I agree, it kicked major ass and it's possible you're correct, but had you heard every radio station in America at the time ??

I remember 1979-80 Panama City Florida had a really killer rock station where I heard Beautiful Girls and DOA back to back for the first time...

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Just yankin' yer chain, brothah!

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

KISW was great back then, because they had a diverse playlist and weren't afraid to take chances. Not only were they the first radio station outside of LA to play Van HALEN, but they were also the first station in America to play Ac/Dc (heard them in 1977) and were also very early in playing bands like Blondie, The Clash, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Ramones, The Knack, etc. All of which would be mixed in with the Stones, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd which dominated FM rock radio at the time.

The old morning show bits (even before Bob Rivers) were genius. The Leave it to Beaver stuff, Mr. Bruce's Neighborhood... that shit was funny as Hell.

And long before I was a member of the Roth Army, I was enlisted in the KISW Rock n Roll Air Force. Still have that card somewhere too. They came up with that at the height of the disco backlash, around the time that Slaton was doing the "Disco Destruction" bit (blowing up Bee Gees records on the air, taking chainsaws to the Village People, etc.)

As I said, I just wished I had taped all that shit. And that Epic Rock album sold out in about 5 minutes. They never pressed any more copies either, the bastards.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

That sux...

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Yeah when I was there in 1978, I listened to them religiously.

Driving up to the Black Sabbath/VH show on the 29th of September, VH was in the studio, and I almost pissed myself laughing at their schtick.

They were a fucking riot!

Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love was on the radio all the time, and about a month earlier, I saw AC/DC, Cheap Trick and Ted Nugent. KISW was playing AC/DC a lot, and I was not impressed too much by what I heard.

But then I saw them live, and realized the error of my ways.

KISW kicked fucking ass!!

That was the station who used to play Roy Buchanan's tune "You're Not Alone" a lot as well.

Another song that gives me a time warp is the Gerry Rafferty song "Baker Street", because they played that a lot that summer as well.....so whenever I hear it these days, it takes me right back to that summer.

THAT was the summer I always recall with great fondness.
                And of course I got to revisit some of that stuff last year when I went up there for vacation.

KISW RULES.

Though I did not even listen to them once while I was up there on vacation....I was too busy doing other things lol.
                Last edited by Hardrock69; 09-07-2007, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

My DLR quote regarding the handicapped came directly from a live CVH interview with Steve Slayton on KISW

KISW pretty much blows chunks now....
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Unchainme
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                    My DLR quote regarding the handicapped came directly from a live CVH interview with Steve Slayton on KISW

KISW pretty much blows chunks now....
                    Hey! I made your sig!

On related radio notes...We had a similiar thing happen to WMMS out here...Great music got played there and the station kicked ass! but now, they have some tool named maxwell who talks the whole afternoon with NO MUSIC...And Theres to much aforementioned shitty nu metal..
                    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• jero
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Wawazat, you ugly son of a bitch,
                      THANX for sharing those files! Never heard them before....

Comment

• lance watts
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Mar 2007

[i]Originally posted by FO
                        The old morning show bits (even before Bob Rivers) were genius. The Leave it to Beaver stuff, Mr. Bruce's Neighborhood... that shit was funny as Hell. [/B]
                        I still have some of those bits on tape. Funny stuff, indeed.

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Yeah man, KISW rocks! ...

Had me talking to ReedWacker a couple years back talking bout me stripping my Wolfie n' shit ... still wishin' I had that soundbite because his shtick was "read between the lines" with reedwacker ...

Any word on tickets for the Key yet? ... anyone ... anyone ...
                          Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

Working...