X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frets5150
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Fuck EVH And AVH To Hell!!!

As you’ve almost certainly heard, later this month the reunited Van Halen is hitting the road for an extensive tour with David Lee Roth out front. But something is missing. Original bassist Michael Anthony — whose distinctive backing vocals are crucial to classics like “Running With the Devil” and “Panama” — has been fired and replaced by Eddie Van Halen’s sixteen-year-old son Wolfgang. Many outraged fans are pledging to stay home, while others will be showing up with “Where Is Michael Anthony?” T-shirts. Last week Anthony got on the phone with RS to explain what happened.

When was the last time you saw Eddie Van Halen?
    The last time I actually spoke or saw him in person was right after we walked offstage in 2004, the last show of the tour.

How were things then?
    It really didn’t end in total peace and harmony within the band, for whatever reasons. I’m not going to finger-point at anyone, but the tour, after eighty shows, just couldn’t go on at that point.

How did you find out they were going to do this upcoming tour without you?
    Probably like everybody else, I found out on the Internet and through word of mouth. I can understand that he wants his kid to play with him. If I had a kid like that, I’d like to have him perform with me, too. It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion.”

(Keep reading for Anthony’s take on the 2004 tour, the doctored album covers that appeared online after the band’s recent reunion announcement, his sixteen-year-old replacement and more.)

So they never called you?
    No, nobody ever contacted me about anything. I just kind of found out with everyone else.

Is it true they tried to keep you off the 2004 tour?
    Yeah. Ed didn’t really want me on that tour.

Do you know why?
    He was always put off that I was going out and playing with Sammy [Hagar] when we weren’t doing anything. It wasn’t like I was doing it to spite anybody. I was just tired of sitting at home and doing nothing. Sammy asked me one day if I would like to come out and maybe make an appearance at one or two of [his] shows and have some fun, and I said, “Yeah, great.” It kind of snowballed into me coming out and doing a few songs with him here and there.

Didn’t they make you sign something to participate in the last tour?
    You’re putting all the dirt in this one, huh? I gave up a lot to do [the last Van Halen] tour, as far as my percentage of what everyone was being paid. I did have to sign something at the end of the tour, that I was relinquishing any rights or claims that I had to anything that had to do with Van Halen. The reason I did the tour was: I didn’t need the money, but I kind of figured if it was the last time Van Halen ever went out, I’d be kicking myself if I didn’t go out onstage one last time for the fans. So I kind of sucked it up a bit.

But that didn’t affect your royalties or anything?
    No.

Do you regret doing that?
    There’s always things that you look at in hindsight that you could have done differently or whatever, or tried to make it better. I don’t regret going out, because I did enjoy going out and playing for the fans. I kind of regret the way that it turned out, because it should have been a tour that possibly went on for at least a year, and toured all over the world, and it just wasn’t meant to be. And that’s pretty sad, in my eyes.
    Some fans are saying that this current tour is not the real Van Halen. How do you respond to that?
    I had a post on my blog the other week stating that it is what it is, and I’m not going to sit here and go, “Hey, those a-holes, going out and doing this without me.” I even told the fans, “Don’t judge his son, Wolfgang, too hard, because he’s the innocent guy in this whole thing.” I’m sure he’ll do fine. But as far as it being a full reunion, well, it’s not. There’s no reason for me to sit there and cry over it or whine over it. Life goes on.

Do you think Wolfgang is too young to be taking on such a huge task?
    I really can’t say, because I’m not around the guy a lot. He came out and did some shows in 2004, came out onstage when his dad was playing a solo, and played a little bit. Being thrown right out into big arenas, a sixteen-year-old kid, I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of possible overwhelming things that are thrown at him in that kind of a situation, plus, when they get onstage, who knows how the fans are going to react to him? Hopefully, he’ll be able to work through all that.

Your backing vocals were an important part of the sound.
    Mm-hmm. I guess it will be interesting. I don’t know, I’m not to say how they’re going to pull that one off, but I’m sure they’ve thought of something.

Dave and Ed were smiling and shaking hands at the press conference — do you think it’s genuine?
    [Laughs] There again, I really can’t tell you, because I’m not around them or know what’s going on. I can speculate, but that wouldn’t really mean anything here or there. I guess the proof will be once they get out and start playing. Because once Dave gets onstage, he becomes Diamond Dave.

Did you see that they removed your image from Van Halen’s first album on their Web site?
    Yes, I did. And that was the one thing that kind of saddened me a bit, when I was pointed to that, to see that my pictures were removed off of the first album. With Women and Children First, they took the picture off completely. I couldn’t figure out what they were trying to do except for brainwash the fans into thinking I was never in the band. That bummed me out quite a bit. I’m proud of all my history with Van Halen, and maybe they feel otherwise.
    You seem to be taking the high road with all this.
    I’m not a spiteful person. At this point in my life, I don’t need the drama. I went through that when I was in my twenties, and I don’t feel like going through it again in my fifties. I just want to have fun, be able to go out onstage and play and have a good time.

Are you touring with Sammy Hagar this summer?
    Yeah, we’re actually going out late October, and we’ll be touring on and off until next summer. It stems from around March, when Sammy Hagar did this cruise thing with Carnival Cruise lines, where they cruise down to Cabo San Lucas. His fans pay an extra premium and his band goes on the ship, and they asked me if I wanted to come and perform one night. I didn’t want to just get up with his band and do Hagar stuff, so I put this thing together and I said, “Let’s just do some old Van Halen stuff and have some fun with it and do maybe a couple other covers that we all grew up to, like some Zep or Cream.” So we call it the Mad Anthony Express, and we did about two hours on this ship, and the fans loved it. I said, “Hey, this is pretty cool.”

Do you see a day in the future where the four original Van Halen members could possibly share a stage again?
    At this point, I really don’t know, because I think they’ve chosen their path. They would be the ones to really ask. As far as myself, I think if the situation was right and everything was on the up and up I’d be interested in doing it. It would definitely have to be on those terms.

Source Rolling Stone

Nothin against DLR and Wolfpuck they had noting to do with this but
    EVH AND AVH are Bastards
  • Sarge's Little Helper
    Commando
    • Mar 2003

As you’ve almost certainly heard, later this month the reunited Van Halen is hitting the road for an extensive tour with David Lee Roth out front. But something is missing. Original bassist Michael Anthony — whose distinctive backing vocals are crucial to classics like “Running With the Devil” and “Panama” — has been fired and replaced by Eddie Van Halen’s sixteen-year-old son Wolfgang. Many outraged fans are pledging to stay home, while others will be showing up with “Where Is Michael Anthony?” T-shirts. Last week Anthony got on the phone with RS to explain what happened.

The last time I actually spoke or saw him in person was right after we walked offstage in 2004, the last show of the tour.

How were things then?
    It really didn’t end in total peace and harmony within the band, for whatever reasons. I’m not going to finger-point at anyone, but the tour, after eighty shows, just couldn’t go on at that point.

Probably like everybody else, I found out on the Internet and through word of mouth. I can understand that he wants his kid to play with him. If I had a kid like that, I’d like to have him perform with me, too. It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion.”

(Keep reading for Anthony’s take on the 2004 tour, the doctored album covers that appeared online after the band’s recent reunion announcement, his sixteen-year-old replacement and more.)

No, nobody ever contacted me about anything. I just kind of found out with everyone else.

Do you know why?
    He was always put off that I was going out and playing with Sammy [Hagar] when we weren’t doing anything. It wasn’t like I was doing it to spite anybody. I was just tired of sitting at home and doing nothing. Sammy asked me one day if I would like to come out and maybe make an appearance at one or two of [his] shows and have some fun, and I said, “Yeah, great.” It kind of snowballed into me coming out and doing a few songs with him here and there.

You’re putting all the dirt in this one, huh? I gave up a lot to do [the last Van Halen] tour, as far as my percentage of what everyone was being paid. I did have to sign something at the end of the tour, that I was relinquishing any rights or claims that I had to anything that had to do with Van Halen. The reason I did the tour was: I didn’t need the money, but I kind of figured if it was the last time Van Halen ever went out, I’d be kicking myself if I didn’t go out onstage one last time for the fans. So I kind of sucked it up a bit.

No.

There’s always things that you look at in hindsight that you could have done differently or whatever, or tried to make it better. I don’t regret going out, because I did enjoy going out and playing for the fans. I kind of regret the way that it turned out, because it should have been a tour that possibly went on for at least a year, and toured all over the world, and it just wasn’t meant to be. And that’s pretty sad, in my eyes.
    Some fans are saying that this current tour is not the real Van Halen. How do you respond to that?
    I had a post on my blog the other week stating that it is what it is, and I’m not going to sit here and go, “Hey, those a-holes, going out and doing this without me.” I even told the fans, “Don’t judge his son, Wolfgang, too hard, because he’s the innocent guy in this whole thing.” I’m sure he’ll do fine. But as far as it being a full reunion, well, it’s not. There’s no reason for me to sit there and cry over it or whine over it. Life goes on.

I really can’t say, because I’m not around the guy a lot. He came out and did some shows in 2004, came out onstage when his dad was playing a solo, and played a little bit. Being thrown right out into big arenas, a sixteen-year-old kid, I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of possible overwhelming things that are thrown at him in that kind of a situation, plus, when they get onstage, who knows how the fans are going to react to him? Hopefully, he’ll be able to work through all that.

Mm-hmm. I guess it will be interesting. I don’t know, I’m not to say how they’re going to pull that one off, but I’m sure they’ve thought of something.

Dave and Ed were smiling and shaking hands at the press conference — do you think it’s genuine?
    [Laughs] There again, I really can’t tell you, because I’m not around them or know what’s going on. I can speculate, but that wouldn’t really mean anything here or there. I guess the proof will be once they get out and start playing. Because once Dave gets onstage, he becomes Diamond Dave.

Did you see that they removed your image from Van Halen’s first album on their Web site?
    Yes, I did. And that was the one thing that kind of saddened me a bit, when I was pointed to that, to see that my pictures were removed off of the first album. With Women and Children First, they took the picture off completely. I couldn’t figure out what they were trying to do except for brainwash the fans into thinking I was never in the band. That bummed me out quite a bit. I’m proud of all my history with Van Halen, and maybe they feel otherwise.
    I’m not a spiteful person. At this point in my life, I don’t need the drama. I went through that when I was in my twenties, and I don’t feel like going through it again in my fifties. I just want to have fun, be able to go out onstage and play and have a good time.

Yeah, we’re actually going out late October, and we’ll be touring on and off until next summer. It stems from around March, when Sammy Hagar did this cruise thing with Carnival Cruise lines, where they cruise down to Cabo San Lucas. His fans pay an extra premium and his band goes on the ship, and they asked me if I wanted to come and perform one night. I didn’t want to just get up with his band and do Hagar stuff, so I put this thing together and I said, “Let’s just do some old Van Halen stuff and have some fun with it and do maybe a couple other covers that we all grew up to, like some Zep or Cream.” So we call it the Mad Anthony Express, and we did about two hours on this ship, and the fans loved it. I said, “Hey, this is pretty cool.”

Do you see a day in the future where the four original Van Halen members could possibly share a stage again?
    At this point, I really don’t know, because I think they’ve chosen their path. They would be the ones to really ask. As far as myself, I think if the situation was right and everything was on the up and up I’d be interested in doing it. It would definitely have to be on those terms.

Source Rolling Stone

EVH AND AVH are Bastards
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I guess the proof will be once they get out and start playing. Because once Dave gets onstage, he becomes Diamond Dave.
      while your ass-licking-capri-pants-wearing-spambo-buddy becomes a gay waterballoon on speed...

and that's why we are here! with thousands of our closest friends...motherfucker
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• thome
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Mar 2005

GODDAMN MIKE GET A LIFE!!!!

your cool we know you are........................... SH!T!

Comment

• TVGUY
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2007

Damn Frets... thanks for the manifesto!
          Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Its funny how Mike claims he was found out he was 'fired' on the Net.

BULLSHIT!!

He fulfilled contractual obligations for the 04 tour.

After the tour was done THAT WAS IT.

And he's sitting there thinking he was still in the band??? Naive can you say?

And this is even after he and Hagar publicly voiced how disapointed they were in Eddie and how things turned rotten after the tour was done.

And he expected to still be in the band??
            =V V=
            ole No.1 The finest
            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Redballjets88
              Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by frets5150

How were things then?

Do you know why?

No.

Source Rolling Stone

EVH AND AVH are Bastards
              are you gunna cry?
              R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Pasadena Bunnie
                Head Fluffer
                • Jul 2006

And need we remind MA and his friends and fans, for the sake of the interview he gave.....this VH tour is NOT a "REUNION". He must have done this prior to the Official Press Conference in which Dave plainly stated "This is NOT a REUNION...THIS IS A NEW BAND!"

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Pasadena Bunnie
                  And need we remind MA and his friends and fans, for the sake of the interview he gave.....this VH tour is NOT a "REUNION". He must have done this prior to the Official Press Conference in which Dave plainly stated "This is NOT a REUNION...THIS IS A NEW BAND!"
                  I doubt he did this interview BEFORE the press conference because he even comments on the Dave-Ed embrace at the event.

Guess MA forgot to hear Dave say in crystal clarity that "This is NOT a Reunion". Though I never thought Mike was a very bright individual to begin with.
                  =V V=
                  ole No.1 The finest
                  EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Pasadena Bunnie
                    "This is NOT a REUNION...THIS IS A NEW BAND!"
                    Then add it onto the budget bin with

Van Roth
                    Van Hagar
                    Van Cherone
                    Van Wolfgang

sigpic

Comment

• ziggysmalls
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Dec 2006

Here is my problem with Mike. While I would much rather have him at these shows, IMO he does not want it bad enough.

Dave has said he calls up the Van Halens every year to see about reuniting. Of course he has had some failed attempts in 96 and 2000 most notably but he always held out hope that a tour would happen. On his radio show he still had the belief that they could get back together. Ed, Dave and Alex have said worse things in public than anything about Mike. Yet Dave kept on calling. He even tried to sue the guys but he kept on calling.

Sammy for his credit called up Alex in 2003 to shoot the shit. One thing led to another and a tour happened. Mike was not going to be involved but Sammy stood his ground. Mike was allowed to tour.

What has Mike done since he was pretty much booted from the band in 2002? He has waited for a phone call. The only reason why he got invited in 2004 was because of Sammy's insistance. He has stated with Rolling Stone that he has not spoken to Alex or Eddie since the end of the 2004 tour. Once he read the rumors of Wolfgang, he should have made a call. If that was too uncomfortable, then have your manager make a call to Janie. Have Sammy call Alex since they are on speaking terms. Do something. Yet Mike sat by his phone and it did finally ring. It was Sammy asking if he wanted to go out on tour.

To me Mike gave about 5 minutes thought to trying to make this work. Of course Eddie could have said "fuck off" and Mike could have reported that in the press. He reminds me of those guys who bitched they never got any girls yet they never asked on a date.

He did not want to go on tour. He is just using the free pub to build up the Other Half. The one thing that his interviews do prove is that he never called the guys on the death of their mother. She died after 2004 and Mike has not spoken to them since the end of the tour. Dave at least called.

Comment

• delta5150
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Oct 2005

I too would like to see Mikey in the band, but as said before, he just sat on his fat arse waiting for a call, just like the lonely kid waiting at home for his mates to call him to go out and play, fuck that, if he wanted it so bad he should of picked up the phone, time to grow up Mike and be a man like Dave.

Comment

• Pasadena Bunnie
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by ziggysmalls
                          Here is my problem with Mike. While I would much rather have him at these shows, IMO he does not want it bad enough.

Dave has said he calls up the Van Halens every year to see about reuniting. Of course he has had some failed attempts in 96 and 2000 most notably but he always held out hope that a tour would happen. On his radio show he still had the belief that they could get back together. Ed, Dave and Alex have said worse things in public than anything about Mike. Yet Dave kept on calling. He even tried to sue the guys but he kept on calling.

Sammy for his credit called up Alex in 2003 to shoot the shit. One thing led to another and a tour happened. Mike was not going to be involved but Sammy stood his ground. Mike was allowed to tour.

What has Mike done since he was pretty much booted from the band in 2002? He has waited for a phone call. The only reason why he got invited in 2004 was because of Sammy's insistance. He has stated with Rolling Stone that he has not spoken to Alex or Eddie since the end of the 2004 tour. Once he read the rumors of Wolfgang, he should have made a call. If that was too uncomfortable, then have your manager make a call to Janie. Have Sammy call Alex since they are on speaking terms. Do something. Yet Mike sat by his phone and it did finally ring. It was Sammy asking if he wanted to go out on tour.

To me Mike gave about 5 minutes thought to trying to make this work. Of course Eddie could have said "fuck off" and Mike could have reported that in the press. He reminds me of those guys who bitched they never got any girls yet they never asked on a date.

He did not want to go on tour. He is just using the free pub to build up the Other Half. The one thing that his interviews do prove is that he never called the guys on the death of their mother. She died after 2004 and Mike has not spoken to them since the end of the tour. Dave at least called.
                          Let's face it -

Bassplayer wants IN and he's putting the word out there that he'll take the call at the eleventh hour and will take the pay cut to play. He has no problem being considered "Plan B" and he's probably hoping that Wolfie can't handle it. :eek:

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2006

I used to think that Mike was a nice guy but now I think that he is one of the biggest gutless turds around. A total follower. Also, for someone who keeps claiming to take the "high road" he sure is doing a lot of whining.
                            And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by ziggysmalls

What has Mike done since he was pretty much booted from the band in 2002? He has waited for a phone call. The only reason why he got invited in 2004 was because of Sammy's insistance. He has stated with Rolling Stone that he has not spoken to Alex or Eddie since the end of the 2004 tour. Once he read the rumors of Wolfgang, he should have made a call.
                              Exactly.

I willing to bet things may have been different had Mike stayed with the Van Halens and at least stayed on talking terms with Ed --- if not Ed, at least Alex.

But no, he didn't. He moved on with Sammy. And when those two started calling themselves 'The Other Half', come on, did Mike think he was still gonna be in the band???

Horribly naive of Mike, imo.

And he should've called to extend his condolences on the passing of Ed and Al's mom. Dave did, so did Sam.

Heck, even at the height of the breakup betwen Roth and VH in '86, Dave STILL called Eddie and offered his condolences on the passing of Jan Van Halen.
                              Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM.
                              =V V=
                              ole No.1 The finest
                              EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...