• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Marley's Kid as Opening Act

Marley Undaunted By Van Halen Opening Slot

Ky-Mani Marley

September 14, 2007, 10:15 AM ET

Wes Orshoski, N.Y.

The throngs of rock-loving Van Halen fans who show up early to the band's long-anticipated reunion tour this fall will be greeted with an unlikely opening act in reggae royalty Ky-Mani Marley. But those expecting to hear copycat versions of his father's "One Love" or "Exodus" are in for a surprise, he says.

With a seven-piece band in tow, Marley -- the 31-year-old son of the iconic Bob and one-time table tennis champion Anita Belnavis -- will be performing tracks from his forthcoming "Radio" disc," which he says is not a reggae album.

"It's really edgy, really urban. It's not reggae," he tells Billboard.com. "I don't want to call it hip-hop, and it's not R&B. I like to call it 'Ky-Mani.' I think I've created my own sound now, where you can identify me from everything else. I don't like to stick to one genre. And that's the reason I call it 'Radio,' because the radio is where all genres of music meet."

In fact, it was through America radio, and the music played by his mom, that he was exposed to music of Van Halen as a child. Born in Falmouth, Jamaica, he moved to Miami in the early 1980s, where he grew up listening primarily to rock and pop music.

"In Jamaica, we only had one radio station, so when I came to America, my mom bought me a boom box, and I switched it onto the first channel I heard and left it there, thinking that's all there was,¡± he says. ¡°It ended up being Y100. So in my early years, I'm listening to 'Love in an Elevator,' Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi. My favorite record growing up was George Michael¡¯s 'One More Try.'"

To be released Sept. 25 by the New York-based Vox Music Group, "Radio" is Marley's fourth disc, and the follow-up to 2001's Grammy-nominated "Many More Roads." It features appearances by Mya, Young Buck and rising Jamaican singer Tessanne Chin.

"It has an edgy feel to it," says Marley, who co-produced with Jason "J-Vibe" Famer, Ky Miller and Red Spyda. "It touches on a little bit of everything. You have the party song, the song that's a little more serious, the love songs for the ladies and the songs that touch the soul."

Marley, who also made strides as an actor in recent years, says he's not worried about the classic-rock audience he'll face on tour with Van Halen. "I'm not nervous because I'm not going there to play reggae,¡± he says.¡± I have music for everybody. There's definitely going to be some people surprised, I promise you. Of course, everybody's not going to like it, but everybody can't hate it. So my thing is, if I can capture one fan, then I've done my job."
    Last edited by LoungeMachine; 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Anybody seen this guy live or heard him?

urban?

hip-hop?

George Nichael fan?

Interesting choice to say the least.....

Comment

• diamondD
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

I'll be willing to give him a listen. Probably won't make his whole set, but if he's good I'll go check him out on my 2nd show. I'm glad he's not doing the "I'm a Marley and here's my reggae" thing.
      Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• svrwthr
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2006

Ra GAY
        here is his myspace site

Ky-Mani Marley's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...thr2/Roll1.gif

Comment

• chi-town324
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Feb 2007

i heard he may only open for some shows? Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• Jurak
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2005

Spark up the blunts, eveting Ire, mon.......!!

We be in fo' the rap/rock concert of da century, mon!

Now how about some nice "jerk pork" jamacian style....
            "Hear that O.F.? If old school Army gals with solid track records of contribution choose to bless us with their tits, ass, vagina, or just sexy eye shots, leave them be (at least until I've had a chance to rub one out)..."
            That is all.
            Icon.

"we've always known that van hagar fans are the stupidest people on the planet but my god! "

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

You know, if the crowds now were anything like the old VH crowds were, then this fella would get to experience a hostile audience. Opening acts never seemed to fair well on a Van Halen tour...at least at the shows I attended.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

VH was famous for taking out schmuck bands back in the day.......

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

I'll be making bets with people next to me on how long the opening act will last.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                    Not an Autograph fan, then?

Comment

• Figs
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                      Well ever since they blew Black Sabbath away both VH and BS never really booked decent opening acts. I can't even remember who VH had in 1981 when I saw them.....I think it was Wrabbit. (I did see Wrabbit open for someone......)

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                        Not an Autograph fan, then?

IN a word...NO

Though...MIKEY ANTHONY did add SMASHING background vocals to BLONDES IN BLACK CARS.......

The background vocals MAKE the tune.......

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Comment

• svrwthr
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by chi-town324
                          i heard he may only open for some shows? Can anyone confirm this?
                          Go to the ticket site (i forgot its name atm) and it shows all the shows they will be opening. And it is a lot of them.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...thr2/Roll1.gif

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2006

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvgeHTCfCg4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvgeHTCfCg4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpugpzsQgus"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpugpzsQgus" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                            And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

This is a really strange choice.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...