X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firebrand
    Roadie
    • Jun 2004

OK...I admit it...I was wrong....

Been a Halenite since '79. Played professionally (geetar) since '80. Kind of have a little clue as to what I speak of.

I posted on here months ago that the more the reunion thing evolved the more skeptical I was of it.

Well, folks, as they say here in South Georgia, the proof is in the pudding...and I, friends, was dead wrong - and I've never been prouder to be able to say that.

Based on the rehearsal vids that have been posted, what I am hearing is this: Wolfie is playing and singing to the point where MA simply isn't missed. And face it, who ever went to a VH show to watch MA other than his mom? Alex is as solid as ever, the most underrated rock drummer ever IMHO. Dave is dead on, paying attention to the lyrics, staying within himself, and not trying to over-do anything.

And sweet mother of mine...Eddie. Lord love a duck in water, son....welcome back, my man. Where has that...that...TONE been for the last 20 or so years, bro? Did you just have it hidden in the closet or something??! The chops are almost pristine, and it looks like you are enjoying it for the first time in a while

The chemistry, the ying and yang if you will, between EVH and DLR is simply magic. Nothing else like it.

If - IF - some shows can be added down here in Jawja and Florida, I'm there. Got to. Too many work and family commits to make the 10 hour drive up to NC to see it too hard to pull off....but hoping that in Jan/Feb, they'll make their way back down around these parts.

OK - for those who get joy out of a man humbling himself, go ahead and fire away...

Otherwise, let me just say I've only waited 23 years for this to happen, and it looks like the boys are going to do it right.

I'm anxious to hear the reviews of the early shows...should be something to see.
    Last edited by Firebrand; 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM.
    With a rebel yell, she cries "more more more!"...
  • Hummarstra
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

As a guitarist myself I'm surprised the you think Ed's "chops are almost pristine." They're OK. Roths vocals? Smoking has taken too much of a toll on his voice for my ears. I still love 'em, but not enough to pay $150.

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hummarstra
      As a guitarist myself I'm surprised the you think Ed's "chops are almost pristine." They're OK. Roths vocals? Smoking has taken too much of a toll on his voice for my ears. I still love 'em, but not enough to pay $150.
      It's Your Loss.
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• MCMLXXXIV
        Full On Cocktard
        • Feb 2007

Take it as a Fair Warning, Firebrand.

Never underestimate the power of Van Halen!

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Mick Jagger doesn't sing as well as he did in 1965, but that doesn't stop anybody from going to a Stones concert.

Give Dave a break.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
            Commando
            • Apr 2004

Hell, as much of a Stones junkie as I am, Mick never "sang" great technically... not even in '65.

Anybody hung up on that can go see Daryl Hall, I suppose...

Otherwise, it is clear that some people are in denial over how great this has all come together, plain and simple.
            Last edited by RogueHorseman; 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM.
            <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• MrSwede
              Full On Cocktard
              • Aug 2005

Dave never sounded perfect in a live concert.

People have been watching too much American Idol and all want to be the internet version of Paula, Simon and Randy.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

He sings better in those videos than he did in any of the 80s boots I have.

Comment

• VanHalener
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Damn Right you were wrong! Now get down and give me 20
                  <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMhIYzl2iuE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMhIYzl2iuE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

RECOVER!

Now play me some o dat geetar
                  ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• jero
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hummarstra
                    You're gonna regret it

Comment

• Hummarstra
                      Commando
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jero
                      You're gonna regret it
                      I really don't want to be a downer. I want everyone who goes to have a great time. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's reaction to the shows and seeing more youtubes of the shows. The best thing about all this for me is that it will get more young people to listen to the '78 - '84 era stuff. And that's nothing but positive.

Comment

• Firebrand
                        Roadie
                        • Jun 2004

ALMOST pristine...

...ain't totally pristine.

But it's the best I've heard Ed sound since 1986 or so. And that ain't bad.

I think I was in the Missouri camp on this whole thing - they were gonna have to show me. It could all fall apart in a week, but based on those rehearsal vids, it sounds about as good as it did on the 1984 tour. They've shown me that even though it ain't 1984 time-wise, they still kick the living crap out of anything else that is out there.

The thing I LOVE about Ed's guitar-ing is it is the FIRST time in I don't know how long he has said to hell with the Eventide Harmonizer and gone with that single slapback/MXR phase/every-now-and-then-flanger-from-hell-sound that redefined everything on VH-I. There was nothing even remotely like it before that record, and hasn't really been anything since (Ed really, REALLY altered his tone from VH-I to Women and Children first...way less gain and "oomph" overall).

As a geetarist, I've longed for the day when he'd get tired of the tone he had from Diver Down on and return to the sound that made Van Halen Van Halen.

You know, this might be a rare, almost unprecedented opportunity for Ed...go back where you started and perhaps redefine everything AGAIN in the process. Given the almost barren state of stellar players remaining and the almost non-existent young six-string slinging guitar gods, it is my hope that Ed's decision to rediscover and emphasize HIS and only HIS sound might inspire some kids - kinda like it did me 27 years ago.

There ain't nobody like Eddie when Eddie is Eddie. Period.
                        Last edited by Firebrand; 09-19-2007, 08:35 PM.
                        With a rebel yell, she cries "more more more!"...

Comment

• TVGUY
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2007

Come on guys.. It's not a studio recording where he got several takes to work the bugs out.. It's live rock n roll... It's not supose to be pristine. Ed sounded great and Dave did too... It's gonna be a kick ass show.. Those of you who are going won't be disapointed if you have realistic expectations.
                          Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• J Curling
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Mar 2004

Firebrand, very good points. I couldn't agree more. Saw the mighty VH 1984 and I think the new clips in many ways sound better than back in the day..

And I am very happy that someone brought up the Alex thing. He IS truly the one of the most underrated musicians/drummers of our time. His dynamics, cleverness, creativity and groove in the playing is unique. And he's sometimes jazzy and souly, but he's still got a hard rockin' attitude to it all. Love the guy's playing!
                            The Hammerguy

Comment

• kamaboko
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Nov 2006

Hmmmm.....well, having seen CVH five times i'm inclined to disagree with the original post.

wolfie...looks like dead weight on stage and instantly reminds me of talent night at a local high school. at least MA looked like he was rocking on stage.

dave...his stage presence looks suspiciously close to that time he did his blue grass hoe down wanky dank. not exactly what i had in mind for a VH reunion.

ed...still has the chops, but looks tired.

alex...pretty average imo. add some excitement behind those drums. they should get tommy lee. lol.

Comment

Working...