PDA

View Full Version : favorite producers

Steve Savicki
09-24-2007, 11:24 PM
So following the Metallica/Rubin thread, I was wondering who people liked as producers.

For me, Dieter Dierks comes immediately to mind. Most know him as work with the Scorps, but I personally liked Twisted Sister's "Come Out And Play."
Jay Jay French had mentioned on the old Dee site that it was the most advanced work they ever did and Dee in Metal Edge claimed it didn't sell because of releasing the first single as the remake of "Leader of the Pack." It should've been something much heavier.

So feel free to discuss any more of Dieter's works or other favorite producers.

binnie
09-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Andy Sneap would be high on my list.

FORD
09-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Rick Rubin's gotta be at the top of the current list. He's proved he can work with damn near anyone, from any musical genre, with great results.

Ted Templeman. If I need to explain that one, you're on the wrong website.

Mutt Lange - until his head got too damn big and he ruined Def Leppard and made shit like Foreigner 4 (and anything after that) But there's no question that Highway to Hell, Back in Black, and High and Dry are three albums that other bands of the 80's tried to live up to.

Jimmy Miller - Producer (and part time drummer) of the Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones. What else needs to be said?

Steve Lillywhite - For U2's first three albums

Eno/Lanois - For most of their other albums

Jimmy Iovine - for Under a Blood Red Sky and Rattle and Hum. And for the early Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers records.

George Martin - The real 5th Beatle, at least in the studio.

Seshmeister
09-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Rick Rubin's gotta be at the top of the current list. He's proved he can work with damn near anyone, from any musical genre, with great results.

He completely fucked up the debut album and ruined the career of a band I knew, Wolvesbane.

Steve Savicki
09-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Ted Templeman. If I need to explain that one, you're on the wrong website.
Even though he let Sammy get away with everything, according to Ed in some magazine interview?

Hardrock69
09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Martin Birch

Mr Badguy
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Just a few:

Terry Brown: Perfect for those early Rush albums.

Peter Collins: Good stuff with Rush and Queensryche.

Trevor Horn: Pop genius and Yes "90125" still sounds amazing.

Martin Birch: Maiden, Rainbow, Purple, Whitesnake, Sabbath etc.

Jimmy Page: Pioneer in rock production (listen to the difference between Zeppelin`s debut and all of their contemporaries).

Steve Savicki
09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Trevor Horn: Pop genius and Yes "90125" still sounds amazing.

Don't forget Art of Noise and Grace Jones' "Slave to the Rhythm."

Coyote
09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Bob Ezrin. Worked with Alice Cooper, Kiss...

Roy Thomas Baker. Worked with Queen until "Jazz", I think.

Eddie Kramer. Hendrix, Kiss.

Jimmy Page. :D

Steve Savicki
09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Roy Thomas Baker.
Great production with Cheap Trick as well.

FORD
09-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Even though he let Sammy get away with everything, according to Ed in some magazine interview?

Templeman only worked on one Van Hagar album, and it had the lowest cheese factor of the four, so I'm not sure what Ted would have "let Sammy get away with".

Warham
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
My favorite producers:

Brian Wilson
George Martin
Phil Spector
Brendan O'Brian
Ted Templeman
Sam Phillips
Chips Moman
Tom Lord-Alge

cMb
09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Roy Thomas Baker. Worked with Queen until "Jazz", I think.

& The Cars classic albums, too.

Terry Date has produced some amazing albums, particularly w/ Pantera & Prong.

Rubin is definitely at the top as far as modern music goes, though.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
09-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Steven Wilson
Dan Swanö

DrMaddVibe
09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I'd add Kramer to Ford's list and call it a day.

If an artist couldn't make an impressionable hit with them...they need to start painting houses or digging ditches. Those producers KNOW talent and how to pick it out of an artist. Some can even spot something hidden in a band and make them take a new direction that runs them into Hitsville.

Mr Badguy
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I think George Martin should get a mention.

He invented a lot of stuff while he was working with The Beatles and those records still sound great.

SparkieD
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
He completely fucked up the debut album and ruined the career of a band I knew, Wolvesbane.

Wolfsbane were an awesome band and yes, Rick Rubin fucked them pretty bad. Still, it was an incredible album that could've, should've been huge.

Sesh, did ya know Wolsbane reunited earlier this month? It wasn't permanent, but it wasn't a one-off either. They will be doing at least one gig a year. The show went over extremely well! I'll post video in the Sleaze metal thread.

Back to topic...Sneap is probably my fave producer only right after Martin Birch. Roy Thomas Baker comes to mind as well.

Steve Savicki
09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by WAR
Brendan O'Brian

Ahh, The Black Crowes debut...

Which Van Hagar album did Temple produce again?

Matt White
09-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Tom Dowd...The Master

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/%A5Artist%20GIF%20Images/Tom-Dowd.jpg

ODShowtime
09-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Jimmy Page is #1.

Brendan OBrien has made some kickass albums, most notably Stone Temple Pilots Purple. The guitar and drum tones on that album are incredible. He's who I would hire if I had the dough.

Jimmy Miller, who FORD noted... made the best sounding Stones albums by far.

Sir George Martin of course.

Ted Templeman was excellent too. After hearing all the demos they had back in 78 or earlier, I love how he whipped the first album into shape. Eddie helped him out with the Brown Sound already all set up.

I can't think of anyone else right now.

ppg960
10-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Hmmmm,

Sure Ted Templeman
Martin Birch
Andy Johns
Mutt Lange-Not for Shania
Jimmy Page
Garth Richardson

fe_lung
10-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Dan Lanois all the way - he always brings out the best in whomever he works with - and his own albums are great too.

Trent Reznor about 95 or so. Broken, Spiral, and Antichrist Superstar are all amazing.

Flood

Eno - the Bowie 3 (heroes, lodger, low) are all amazing.

Steve Savicki
10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Is Flood mostly known for Depeche Mode?

Vanessa
10-08-2007, 11:29 AM
mike clink- Appetite For Destruction

blackie lawless- The Last Command & The Headless Children (great albums)