PDA

View Full Version : Priest VS Maiden: Riff by riff

Mr Badguy
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
It`s an old arguement but here`s a different slant on it.

In my opinion Priest win hands down in a battle of riffs.

Maiden are a strange Metal band in that respect, they don`t really have that many classic riffs, perhaps because their main songwriter is a bass player.

Priest on the other hand, well, you can reel them off: "Living after midnight", "Victim of changes", "Delivering the goods", "Tyrant"..."Genocide" has about ten on it`s own.

Who has the best riffs: Priest!

Shaun Ponsonby
09-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Priest...for the same argument as...uh...argumented by Badguy...Maiden don't have that many instantly recognisable, classic riffs...were as Priest's list is seemingly endless.

binnie
09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Maiden are a strange Metal band in that respect, they don`t really have that many classic riffs, perhaps because their main songwriter is a bass player.

Priest on the other hand, well, you can reel them off: "Living after midnight", "Victim of changes", "Delivering the goods", "Tyrant"..."Genocide" has about ten on it`s own.

Hard to argue with that!

However, you missed "Beyond the Realms of Death" - understandably given the sheer amount of killer Priest riffs.

I suppose with Maiden its more about "riffage" than "riffs": the incessant chugging of guitars is where their real power lies.

Great idea for a thread though.

Mr Badguy
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
To be fair, Iron Maiden do have one of my all time favourites.

The intertwining twin riff of "Iron Maiden" is really nasty and how they came up with it was a work of genius as the two riffs are totally different but fit together perfectly.

Also a lot of Adrian Smith`s songs have good riffs: "22 Acacia Avenue", "Two Minutes To Midnight", "Stranger in a strange land" all have good ones.

Hardrock69
09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Priest has more of the easy riffs favored by listeners.

Maiden has more of the difficult riffs that are appreciated by musicians.

binnie
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM

The intertwining twin riff of "Iron Maiden" is really nasty and how they came up with it was a work of genius as the two riffs are totally different but fit together perfectly.

Also a lot of Adrian Smith`s songs have good riffs: "22 Acacia Avenue", "Two Minutes To Midnight", "Stranger in a strange land" all have good ones.

Good choices: I also love the riff in "Revelations" and "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg", both of which are simple but effective.

Priest win by consistency though: "Devils Child", "Bloodstone", "Metal Gods", "Grinder", "Metal Meltdown", "Dissident Aggressor", I could go on....

Mr Badguy
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by binnie
"Dissident Aggressor"

Yeah!

That riff is brutal.

Dave's Bitch
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Maiden

SparkieD
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Bingo! I was trying to think of the right words, and you nailed it. Priest is just too damn simplistic for these ears. Not saying that simple is necessarily a bad thing. I just prefer something with more substance I guess.

rustoffa
09-25-2007, 08:08 PM

British Steel alone could arguably win KK and Glenn the title. Lotsa good riffs on that one. "Rapid Fire" is a good riff to mess with. Slow it way down, with plenty of distortion? Fucking Master Of Reality territory....fuckers will come from blocks away and start smoking hash.
:D

Hardrock69
09-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
British Steel alone could arguably win KK and Glenn the title. Lotsa good riffs on that one. "Rapid Fire" is a good riff to mess with. Slow it way down, with plenty of distortion? Fucking Master Of Reality territory....fuckers will come from blocks away and start smoking hash.

LMFAO!!!

YES!

Man, I have not had any good hash in years!

Ah well.

Someday.

Mr Badguy
09-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Priest has a few difficult riffs.

Stuff like "The Sentinel", "Screaming for vengeance" and "Ram it down" would test any guitar partnership.

Mr Badguy
09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
LMFAO!!!

YES!

Man, I have not had any good hash in years!

Ah well.

Someday.

I get a real kick from listening to fast stuff while I`m stoned as well as the slow doomy stuff.

You feel the intensity better.

Shaun Ponsonby
09-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD
Bingo! I was trying to think of the right words, and you nailed it. Priest is just too damn simplistic for these ears. Not saying that simple is necessarily a bad thing. I just prefer something with more substance I guess.

I dunno...you know...I like riffs to be memorable.

To be memorable...its gotta be simple.

I like simple. Surprisingly more effective than complicated.

SparkieD
09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I dunno...you know...I like riffs to be memorable.

To be memorable...its gotta be simple.

I like simple. Surprisingly more effective than complicated.

I think Maiden's more complicated riffs are memorable. Are you sayin' you're simple or somethin'? .....sorry, had to say it :D

Matt White
09-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Maiden

Just plain better......

binnie
09-27-2007, 06:10 AM
If it was a choice betweeen who was the "better" band (whatever that might mean) I'd go Maiden, but in terms of riffs - memorable riffs - I just don't see that Maiden can compete with Priest.

binnie
09-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

A really good poll would be Priest vs Sabbath in a battle of the riffs!

size5dress
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
definitally judas priest!

indeedido
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
When you hear an Iron Maiden twin guitar lead line, you know who it is. I don't think Priest has as much of an identifyable sound as Maiden. They are less of a riff band and more of a lead line band. Intro to the Trooper comes to mind

indeedido
04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
When you hear an Iron Maiden twin guitar lead line, you know who it is. I don't think Priest has as much of an identifyable sound as Maiden. They are less of a riff band and more of a lead line band. Intro to the Trooper comes to mind

cadaverdog
04-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by indeedido

The Trooper , that's the first song that popped into my
head when I saw this thread.
Priest has a lot more main steam popularity .
Everybodies heard a butt load of Priest .
Iron Maiden only has a handful of tunes that got
any airplay.
Both bands kick ass.

cadaverdog
04-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by binnie
A really good poll would be Priest vs Sabbath in a battle of the riffs!

Sounds good.
How about a worthy opponent for Zeppelin in a battle of riffs.

Excuding V H ,it wouldn't be fair to compare them on this site.
Or a Zeppelin site.

Panamark
04-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Whilst I totally agree with Priest,
had to throw number of the beast into the mix..
Instantly recognizable..