09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/border.security/

Report: Security on U.S.-Canada border fails terror test

Unmanned points make for easy border crossings, report says

Three times agents crossed border with fake radioactive material

Nearly 1,000 agents on northern border, 12,000 on U.S.-Mexican border
From Kevin Bohn
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A terrorist wanting to smuggle radioactive material from Canada into the United States probably would find it easy to do, a new report from congressional investigators said.

A clearing through the forest marks the U.S.-Canada border near Beecher Falls, Vermont.

Government investigators were able to cross from Canada into the United States carrying a duffle bag with contents that looked like radioactive material and never encountered a law enforcement official, according to a report released Thursday by investigators from the Government Accountability Office.

"Our work clearly shows substantial vulnerabilities in the northern border to terrorist or criminals entering the United States undetected," the GAO's Greg Kutz testified Thursday at a Senate Finance Committee hearing on the topic.

"Although the southern border appears to be substantially more secure, we did identify several vulnerabilities on federally managed lands where there was no CBP [Customs and Border Protection] control."

The investigators made crossings from Canada into the United States three times in fall 2006, the report said. Watch GAO video of a man with a gym bag easily crossing into the U.S. from Canada »

In one of those instances, the GAO said, the Customs and Border Protection agency reported an alert citizen notified authorities of the suspicious activity of the undercover investigators and described their vehicle.

However, the report said the Border Patrol was not able to locate the rental vehicle.

The GAO's task was to perform what it called a "limited security assessment to identify vulnerable border areas." The focus was on border ports where the U.S. government does not maintain a manned presence 24 hours a day and has no apparent monitoring equipment in place. The study was meant to simulate how easy it would be to cross the border with radioactive material or similar items.

Senators voiced concern about the report's findings during Thursday's hearing.

"There may not be an awful lot of crossings across the northern border, but the vulnerability is obvious. ... Are you going to reassess it and redeploy personnel based upon the vulnerability of the northern border?" Sen. Max Baucus, D-Montana, chairman of the Finance Committee, pointedly asked Ronald Colburn, national deputy chief of the Border Patrol.

"We already knew this, senator," Colburn answered. "This is not a surprise report to us."

He defended the priorities set by the Border Patrol, pointing out that a vast majority of the traffic coming into the United States comes across the southern border, not the northern one.

He also testified that federal authorities are making progress toward getting operational control of both borders.

"We are getting there," Colburn said. "We are bringing manpower. We are bringing ... unmanned aerial vehicles. We are bringing aircrafts. We are bringing boats, and we are bringing more manpower and sensing systems."

Investigators also noted several ports of entry have posted daytime hours and are not manned overnight.

In addition, the GAO investigators identified a security vulnerability regarding federally managed land adjacent to the U.S.-Mexico border.

"These areas did not appear to be monitored or have a manned [Border Patrol] presence during the time our investigators visited the sites," the report said.

While the U.S.-Mexican border has received much of the national attention lately with the recent debate over illegal immigration, the report pointed out the dramatic disparity in the law enforcement presence at crossings there versus ones between the United States and Canada.

As of May, the U.S. government had 972 Border Patrol agents on the northern border but almost 12,000 on the southern one. The United States and Canada share more than 5,000 miles of border, while the U.S. and Mexico share 1,900 miles.

The border report was the second in two days to show how terrorists might find ways to strike the United States.

CNN reported on Wednesday that the U.S. electrical grid could be vulnerable to a cyber attack that would make generators self-destruct. E-mail to a friend

Warham
09-27-2007, 03:58 PM
They should close the border to keep knuckleheads like BoF from visiting the country.

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by WAR
They should close the border to keep knuckleheads like BoF from visiting the country.

You're assuming he has bus fare.....

FORD
09-27-2007, 04:03 PM
The BCE wants to close the border to keep 18 year old Americans IN when they attack Iran and have to reinstate the draft.

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Seriously, WAR...

Are we any safer now than in 2001?

TSA is a joke

DHS is a joke

Food is at risk

Water is at risk

Bush failed to follow experts on cyber-terror

Our ports aren't secure

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The BCE wants to close the border to keep 18 year old Americans IN when they attack Iran and have to reinstate the draft.

Hey, let's draft Canadians....

Trick 'em by saying it's a beer garden

WACF
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Did someone mention Beer?

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Well you need somebody to fix your incompetency..........

And I agree. We should close the border. And while we're at it we'll stop selling electricity to you Yanks.........

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by WAR

Don't worry. Any desire to visit your once-great nation ended in about 2000.

I wonder what happened then?

Oh yeah. DUMBASSES like you voted in Bush. Twice.

WACF
09-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Honestly though...it is just easier to point North and blame the border.
Keep people distracted from the real threats.

For a few years after 911 people on this board would mention that the dirt bags came over the border from here...never happened but it made for good press.

Warham
09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Seriously, WAR...

Are we any safer now than in 2001?

TSA is a joke

DHS is a joke

Food is at risk

Water is at risk

Bush failed to follow experts on cyber-terror

Our ports aren't secure

Yeah, I actually do think we are safer.

You can't get through airport security like you could pre-9/11. That's a GOOD thing.

Warham
09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
Don't worry. Any desire to visit your once-great nation ended in about 2000.

I wonder what happened then?

...I think the answering machine picked up again...

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Honestly though...it is just easier to point North and blame the border.
Keep people distracted from the real threats.

For a few years after 911 people on this board would mention that the dirt bags came over the border from here...never happened but it made for good press.

Bro,

When are you gonna learn? It's NEVER the fault of the Americans. It's always someone else's fault.

Don't you know the USA is the GREATEST nation on Earth? Notwithstanding the violence, corruption, hypocrisy, pending bankruptcy and violation of human rights. Those things don't matter.

What makes me disgusted even more than Nicky is that the Americans bitched about the alleged terrorists crossing from Canada into the USA.

They of course stopped short of realizing that THEIR border protection service was supposed to protect itself.

So let me guess: If a so-called terrorist arrives from France, it's the fault of the French? If he arrives from The Sudan, it's the fault of the Sudanese?

I guess all the rest of the World has to protect the United States, because it's too incompetent to take care of itself? Well, of course it is. The dumbasses voted in Bush. Twice.

Way to fucking go.

But no one ever accused the average American of being smart, so I'm not gonna tread there.

Warham
09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
We are still waiting for your wonderful solutions to our problems, BoF.

Get your ass in that thread, or shut your trap.

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by WAR

You can't get through airport security like you could pre-9/11. That's a GOOD thing.

You think the US is safer.....you haven't been paying attention.

But that's what I expected. You voted for Bush. Twice.

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by WAR
We are still waiting for your wonderful solutions to our problems, BoF.

Get your ass in that thread, or shut your trap.

Impeach Bush and Cheney. Period.

I never said I could fix your problems. I just like to mock you idiots who voted in Bush (twice) and who refuse to take responsibility for your actions.

Not to mention blame everyone else.....

Warham
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
You think the US is safer.....you haven't been paying attention.

...Damn thing won't shut off...

Warham
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Impeach Bush and Cheney. Period.

I never said I could fix your problems. I just like to mock you idiots who voted in Bush (twice) and who refuse to take responsibility for your actions.

Not to mention blame everyone else.....

Blah, blah, blah.

No clue.

WACF
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by WAR

Here is a strange one for you.

Back in June I was sent to Elko, Nevada to look at some mining equipment.

One of the guys in our group did not have a passport so we could not fly to the US(as per your rules) from Canada.

BUT....we could drive to Minot and jump on a plane to Minneapolis, then Utah then Elko.

Seemed that walking around the airports you could purchase any "havic causing" POS weapon and take it on your next flight if need be.

Baby's On Fire
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
He's never gonna understand WACF.

It's easier for him to blame everyone else and not respond with anything tangible.

Look at his responses: blah, blah, blah.

Exactly the mentality that elected his government, then continues to accept that government.

It's everyone else's fault. Never forget that.

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 07:55 PM

I never said I could fix your problems.

And I know WAY MORE about how yoru political system works (or is supposed to work) than you know. The fact that monkey was voted into power and still sits there proves it all about how sharp a knife you are.

:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
He's never gonna understand WACF.

It's easier for him to blame everyone else and not respond with anything tangible.

Look at his responses: blah, blah, blah.

Exactly the mentality that elected his government, then continues to accept that government.

It's everyone else's fault. Never forget that.

http://www.craphound.com/images/inettoughguy.jpg

blonddgirl777
09-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Holly shit!

Gotta hurry up loading up on shoes and PEAR Absolute before I get refused entry!

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
Holly shit!

Gotta hurry up loading up on shoes and PEAR Absolute before I get refused entry!

I'll vouche for you.

I'll even give you a personal exemption...

:gulp:

blonddgirl777
09-27-2007, 08:34 PM

Who's preaching FREEDOM now? :o

I said it to all of our Yankee friends and their friends and families...
My husband and I will help any American made captives to escape such a regime!

The offer still stands...

blonddgirl777
09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I'll vouche for you.

I'll even give you a personal exemption...

:gulp:

Ya, ya... you just want a chance to get the bigger couch!
L.O.L.

FORD
09-27-2007, 09:12 PM

If Hillary Clinton actually succeeds in stealing this nomination, I'm definitely considering moving north, because I can't take 8 more years of this shit.

BITEYOASS
09-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Sorry, but I plan doing what any good Michigander would do when the government fucks us and the country turns to shit, start a militia! :D I'll have the HQ in Louisiana where it will be highly fortified and use alternative energy scources. In order to fund this militia, we'll be growing corn, hemp and sweet-sticky-stinky cajun weed. We'll get money from the sale of joints and moonshine to mercenaries with low morale, then we'll kill em' and steal their weapons when we fight em' afterwards. Ok, I better not give away any more of my plans then. :D

LoungeMachine
09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
If Hillary Clinton actually succeeds in stealing this nomination, t.

Can you actually "steal" what is being handed to you on a silver platter?

She's being annointed. :mad:

I know Chris Matthews is a fucking worthless, chimp-sucking tool, but...

He can't even ask another Dem candidate a question without invoking her name or spining the question in here direction.

Next we'll see Darth doing stump speeches for her.

blonddgirl777
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
If Hillary Clinton actually succeeds in stealing this nomination, I'm definitely considering moving north, because I can't take 8 more years of this shit.

You and a lot of people I know... really!
Can't blame you... :o

Soon... all the good Americans will migrate here and the bad ones will stay there!

Warham
09-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Vote for Ron Paul!

scamper
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM

I just like to mock you idiots who voted in Bush (twice)

BITEYOASS
09-28-2007, 11:20 AM
You and a lot of people I know... really!
Can't blame you... :o

Soon... all the good Americans will migrate here and the bad ones will stay there!

I can't afford it! So I'll have to off the bad ones when the whole shithouse goes up in flames.