X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrtgman
    Full On Cocktard
    • Mar 2006

Charlotte review

Keep in mind that reviews are opinions and we all know what they say about opinions. So here’s mine...take a whiff!

First of all let’s put this to rest. Wolfie did great. He kept mostly on his side of the stage, did not move much, not really any stage presence but then again he is a 16 year old kid. He did look a little odd up there but that will probably just take some getting used to. Michael Anthony was not missed as far as vocals go. No bass solo. He did venture out onto the ramp once or twice but that was about it. Overall good job!

Roth was at his best! Vocals were strong. Attitude was great and remembered all the words (mostly anyway). Not much in terms of screams and NO jumps. Pretty much the same routine as his solo shows. Voice was top notch.

Eddie was honestly not the best I have heard him. His playing was rather weak considering he is Eddie Van Halen. I personally thought he played better in 04' when he was drinking. His solo seemed somewhat lacking and uninspired although he really seemed to be enjoying himself on stage and seemed to have a good repore going with Dave. Lots of "Eddie jumps" and improvised rhythm playing and solos. Looks worn out quite frankly but still the king without a doubt.

Alex was just kind of there. Nothing special. His solo was strong and he seemed to be happy playing with Roth. No neckbrace!

The band seemed to be getting lost during the first half of the show. The rhythm was way out of sync and it almost sounded like a garage band during rehearsal. You could not miss the fact that they were not playing tight. I personally was really surprised to hear them screw up so bad. I do not really know where to lay the blame for that. Maybe some of the musicians on the board who were there can help me out on this one.

Overall a great night with nothing but classic VH songs. T-shirts were $40 (ouch). Bought mine from a guy in the parking garage for $10! The opening act only played for about 1/2 hour. Vh took the stage around 8:30 so keep that in mind. They played for about 2 hours and no one looked tired. They are all in great shape. They did have two big black blimps that start flying around before the show starts. Pretty cool.

I am definitely glad I went and hope the mighty Van Halen will continue on. The fact they have not played together for 20 years shows but time will diminish that I'm sure!

You could definitely tell Ed was really happy playing on stage with his son. Hopefully that will inspire him to stay clean and bring us more great music in the future!
  • franksters
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

thanks for the review, I guess they were maybe nervous...still 23 yrs ago, if the feeling was there, that vh vibe , that's all that matter.
    SUMMER'S JUST
    AROUND
    THE CORNER!

[IMG]
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• DLR2007
      Roadie
      • Feb 2007

Good review. I'm sure they will have the rhythm part fixed by the time they get here to Anaheim, just a little rusty because it has been so long.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

By the time they get to MTL... they will be full on!!!

Dave will get all excited as his plane lands among us... French babes!
        I will be on my best behavior...
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
        Originally posted by Nitro Express
        ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
        Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
        Originally posted by VanHalener
        ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
        Originally posted by FORD
        ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• wmba
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Mar 2004

Holy crap! Were you at the same show I was?? I thought tonight's show was amazing!!! I was in awe for at least the first 30 minutes.. and I felt like I could barely breathe from the excitement! I thought Eddie sounded great, Wolfie was just fine... he moved around a little here and there... went up the ramp.... considering this is his first major concert.. I thought he was great. And Dave was just amazing!!

I was blown away, and everything was better than I had hoped it would be. Awesome show! And every single person I heard talking on the way out said the same thing.

I want to go see them again!!!

Comment

• Dan
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mrtgman
            Keep in mind that reviews are opinions and we all know what they say about opinions. So here’s mine...take a whiff!

First of all let’s put this to rest. Wolfie did great. He kept mostly on his side of the stage, did not move much, not really any stage presence but then again he is a 16 year old kid. He did look a little odd up there but that will probably just take some getting used to. Michael Anthony was not missed as far as vocals go. No bass solo. He did venture out onto the ramp once or twice but that was about it. Overall good job!

Roth was at his best! Vocals were strong. Attitude was great and remembered all the words (mostly anyway). Not much in terms of screams and NO jumps. Pretty much the same routine as his solo shows. Voice was top notch.

Eddie was honestly not the best I have heard him. His playing was rather weak considering he is Eddie Van Halen. I personally thought he played better in 04' when he was drinking. His solo seemed somewhat lacking and uninspired although he really seemed to be enjoying himself on stage and seemed to have a good repore going with Dave. Lots of "Eddie jumps" and improvised rhythm playing and solos. Looks worn out quite frankly but still the king without a doubt.

Alex was just kind of there. Nothing special. His solo was strong and he seemed to be happy playing with Roth. No neckbrace!

The band seemed to be getting lost during the first half of the show. The rhythm was way out of sync and it almost sounded like a garage band during rehearsal. You could not miss the fact that they were not playing tight. I personally was really surprised to hear them screw up so bad. I do not really know where to lay the blame for that. Maybe some of the musicians on the board who were there can help me out on this one.

Overall a great night with nothing but classic VH songs. T-shirts were $40 (ouch). Bought mine from a guy in the parking garage for $10! The opening act only played for about 1/2 hour. Vh took the stage around 8:30 so keep that in mind. They played for about 2 hours and no one looked tired. They are all in great shape. They did have two big black blimps that start flying around before the show starts. Pretty cool.

I am definitely glad I went and hope the mighty Van Halen will continue on. The fact they have not played together for 20 years shows but time will diminish that I'm sure!

You could definitely tell Ed was really happy playing on stage with his son. Hopefully that will inspire him to stay clean and bring us more great music in the future!
            Thanks for Being Honest About The Show.
            First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• jharp84
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

Maybe you on drugs! He - straight! Just kiddin! FUCKIN A 5 - ers for both of ya's!! Juice

Comment

• jharp84
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Maybe you straight - He on drugs! Just Kiddin 5-er's for both of ya's! Juice

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Anyone with an actual setlist?
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• mrtgman
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dan
                    Thanks for Being Honest About The Show.
                    Your welcome. I really wanted to just be blown away tonite but it just didn't happen. It's probably just the first nite working out the kinks thing. I'm a major Vh fan and have been going to see this band for years. I've seen Eddie play all over the country! I truly believe they are one of the greatest bands in history. But tonite it just wasn't there. I was stone cold sober for the concert because I really wanted to remember everything about it.

Anyone who missed the major fuck ups in the first half has to be either tone deaf or was just so enthralled by seeing them together again that they allowed themselves to ignore the obvious. I'm sure by the 3rd or 4th show they be amazing and hopefully we'll all get a new alblum next year that will knock us out!

Comment

• Dan
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

You Really Got Me
                      I'm The One
                      RWTD
                      Romeo delight, with lasers
                      Dave harmonica solo...into SGMAD
                      Beautiful Girls
                      dance the night away
                      Atomic Punk
                      Everybody Wants Some
                      So This Is Love
                      Mean Street
                      Pretty Woman
                      Drum solo
                      Unchained
                      I'll Wait
                      And The Cradle Will Rock - new guitar, red and white stripes on black. Ed finished it with a little bit of "Smoke On The Water."
                      Hot For Teacher
                      Little Dreamer - Dave singing from up on top
                      Little Guitars
                      Jaime's Cryin
                      Dave's on the acoustic telling stories. "I come from the suburbs where they tear out the trees and name the streets for them."
                      Ice Cream Man
                      Panama
                      Guitar solo - "the bit from vh2, 316, Eruption, Cathedral"
                      Ain’t Talking ‘Bout Love

Encore:

Jump – with baton twirl and giant inflatable microphone

That’s it – 2 hours total
                      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Redballjets88
                        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                        Anyone with an actual setlist?
                        there was a setlist in one of the rehearsal photo threads
                        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Thanks for the review, copying it in the Charlotte thread...

Closing this one....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...