PDA

View Full Version : After watching & listening to these shows/Likes & Dislikes

LOS35
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
One thing I noticed is that some of the songs flow right into each other like a mix.

What happened to the free styling at the beginning of "So this is Love"?....

Hardrock69
10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Who the fuck cares?

Yes some of the songs do fit together really well.

I heard Ed make some goofs during the first show, and Wolfie
was a bit off-key on some of the backup vox, but aside from that, I have NOTHING to complain about, except for the fact I was not there lol.

Listening to the second show right now.

svrwthr
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Dave walking around like he is still doing his BlueGrass stint. But who fucking cares?!!!! Dave is back is all that matters. I wouldn't care if he was walking around the stage with a walker.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by LOS35
One thing I noticed is that some of the songs flow right into each other like a mix.

What happened to the free styling at the beginning of "So this is Love"?....

Just curious, are you going to either of the Philly shows ??

TongueNGroove
10-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I think I would have to add the fact that Ed's guitar is terribly out of tune on the half the songs I have heard so far. So out of tune they are unlistenable in fact.

Hummarstra
10-03-2007, 05:49 AM
The "mix" like quality of the show maybe due to the way the light show is programmed for each song in the set list. Just a guess. It wasn't like that in the old days.

Ellyllions
10-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Dave said, "This ain't rockers with walkers".

The show blends because it's meant to be a full-on assault of music. 24 songs in 2 hours? What other band their age can or will do that?

They've designed the show so that it hits you hard repeatedly and you don't have time to sit down.

...and they do it well...

cman
10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
DITCH THE FUCKING SOLO'S ALREADY!!!!!!! every knows they could play....maybe do an extended guitar/drum solo within a song for a minute or two but that's it. basically, add a few more songs and get rid of those damn solo's.

Matt White
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
LIKES?!?

The fact thet DAVID LEE ROTH is fronting VAN HALEN in 2007....

DISLIKES?!?

People crying like school girls over the slightest imperfection....

Ellyllions
10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
My little mom used to say, "If you had a golden ass you'd complain cause it had a crack in it..."

cman
10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
actually the solos give me a chance to go take a piss or grab a burger.

Hardrock69
10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Damn, both the Charlotte AND Greensboro shows, Ed's high E and B strings are way out of tune with each other during "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love".

Aside from that, I have not heard any other major tuning problems.

Unlistenable?

Bullshit.
:rolleyes:

flub
10-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I'll just say this - I went to the 10/1 show in Philly and then I watched the youtubes, and I've got to say, the youtubes don't do the show any justice. You've got to see this show. The youtubes don't give you any idea whatsoever how great the show is. I can't speak for the NC shows, but the show in Philly sounded and looked mindblowing!

Ellyllions
10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Going to the second show was a real toss-up for me.

I didn't want to endure the tweaking which has to happen when you're moving equipment and have new staff.

BUT, I didn't want to miss my chance to see the show. Because I literally had doubts that it would even finish the published dates. Can't deny the turmoil that has been Van Halen.

It's personal choice. You can take a magnifying glass and dissect details until you're convinced that you've been let down, or you can relax and understand that this is just entertainment and enjoy what you're buying.

BITEYOASS
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
LIKES?!?

DISLIKES?!?

Fuck yeah! What is it with these assholes? They should either drink before the concert or stay at home and listen to the albums. Maybe they are part of the redrocker revolution, trying to purposely post bad reviews, I haven't a fuckin clue.

And another thing, what the fuck is the deal with no camera/video/audio? It's not like we're gonna sell any of this shit! Don't the promoters realize that the bootlegs being posted on youtube is selling more tickets? Now if it's some jackass with a Pentax, Panavision video camera and some giant piece of recording equipment, taser them for all I care. But if it's some tiny mp3 recorder or a cheap camera, who gives a fuck! Cause if =VH= releases a live HD DVD, it's gonna sell BIG TIME no matter how many bootlegs are on the internet.

frankfasteddie
10-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Going to the second show was a real toss-up for me.

I didn't want to endure the tweaking which has to happen when you're moving equipment and have new staff.

BUT, I didn't want to miss my chance to see the show. Because I literally had doubts that it would even finish the published dates. Can't deny the turmoil that has been Van Halen.

It's personal choice. You can take a magnifying glass and dissect details until you're convinced that you've been let down, or you can relax and understand that this is just entertainment and enjoy what you're buying.

Would have to agree with you here, I have listened to multiple recordings of these shows and I am pretty sure that it will get better as the tour goes on, there is a 16 year old playing bass and playing it very well but this is the first time he and his father have played in front of 20,000 people. Face the facts Eddie is late in and sometimes playing catch up on the way out. What made EVH the GOD of guitar playing was he always knew where he was going and he always got there. Could be he is playing with his son and needs just a little more time jelling. Could be he is a meth crack head who burnt up to many brain cells and his brain can't connect the dots. Roth is smoking by all accounts in fact he is singing better then he did other then on VH1 and VH2 tours. IMO Ed will get better and from show to show 'technically speaking' its already getting better but if you are looking for perfection or even close to it has to come from Eddie. Pick up your bootlegs from 78 and listen to the songs played live back then. Yes he has a different set up now which allows for him to carry notes a little longer but I don't think we will get that type of guitar sound this early in the tour if ever. By all other accounts its live and I like it played different from show to show and from what most people have wrote its looks like it is fucking amazing.

jgdrag
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
LIKES?!?

DISLIKES?!?

Thanks Matt, completely agree! But I am sure one of these little school girls is gonna tell us it ain't really Van Halen. People wonder why Eddie doesn't like the internet?

Ellyllions
10-03-2007, 10:56 AM
It was amazing.
I'm still in a fog that I even got to see it.

It was my first time...after all the years since playing with my Barbie's outside my older cousin's closed bedroom door. (Somewhere around '79-'81) To actually standing in the same room with that band while they played to entertain me it's even an incredible thought.

And...I'll share something a little weird.
I ended up having to sit down for a minute to rest my back. It was so loud that Alex drums caused the seat to tremble beneath me.
Very cool...

frankfasteddie
10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
It was amazing.
I'm still in a fog that I even got to see it.

It was my first time...after all the years since playing with my Barbie's outside my older cousin's closed bedroom door. (Somewhere around '79-'81) To actually standing in the same room with that band while they played to entertain me it's even an incredible thought.

And...I'll share something a little weird.
I ended up having to sit down for a minute to rest my back. It was so loud that Alex drums caused the seat to tremble beneath me.
Very cool...

Awesome....... cant wait to see them I am flying in from Germany for the Indy and Chicago shows......I was too young to go in 84 and have waited 23 LONG years...I'm sure when they come out I will have tears in my eyes and yes I am man enough to say it

ULTRAMAN VH
10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I thought the Philly show was just amazing. Yeah Ed's guitar went out of tune for ATBL but he just finished his solo, so that was to be expected. Locking tremolos are nice but far from perfect. In the old days his guitar tech would toss him a freshly tuned guitar after his solo, guess he should do the same here. I really liked the tone that the Fender Frankenstein possessed. Wish he would have used that for the majority of the show. Like I said in a previous post, it was refreshing to here a few mistakes. It gave the show some realism, something that has been lacking in the modern day high tech, prerecorded world of music.

LOS35
10-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Just curious, are you going to either of the Philly shows ??

No I'm not, lunched on getting good tickets.

And to set things straight I really don't have any complaints! The way the set flows is AWESOME! Just wish they free styled in the beginning of So this is Love like they use too, that's all..

Nitro Express
10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by cman
actually the solos give me a chance to go take a piss or grab a burger.

Alex's drum solo actually gave me the chance to go puke and come back and not miss anything. :D

Nitro Express
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think Wolfie plays to his dad, he's pretty well in the groove with uncle Al. Alex is still in great form and keeps great time, if everybody has Al in their mix, there's no excuse to get the song out of time. If I can hear the drummer and the singer, I know where I should be. Those are the two key people you have to hear in the mix.

Nitro Express
10-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
I thought the Philly show was just amazing. Yeah Ed's guitar went out of tune for ATBL but he just finished his solo, so that was to be expected. Locking tremolos are nice but far from perfect. In the old days his guitar tech would toss him a freshly tuned guitar after his solo, guess he should do the same here. I really liked the tone that the Fender Frankenstein possessed. Wish he would have used that for the majority of the show. Like I said in a previous post, it was refreshing to here a few mistakes. It gave the show some realism, something that has been lacking in the modern day high tech, prerecorded world of music.

Even in the YouTube footage I could tell those Art Guitars sounded beefier and they are just cheap basswood bodies.

Baby's On Fire
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM

The show blends because it's meant to be a full-on assault of music. 24 songs in 2 hours? What other band their age can or will do that?

They've designed the show so that it hits you hard repeatedly and you don't have time to sit down.

The Stones and Aerosmith, both bands also considerably older.

And as much as I'm no Aerosmnith fan, Steven Tyler can still sing.....and he can sing live.

I love DLR, but his voice is long gone.

Baby's On Fire
10-03-2007, 07:27 PM

The Stones and Aerosmith, both bands also considerably older.

And as much as I'm no Aerosmnith fan, Steven Tyler can still sing.....and he can sing live.

diamondsgirl
10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
The Stones

how many people are on stage at a Stones show??

you probably can't count that high!

Jurak
10-06-2007, 02:52 PM
LIKES?!?

DISLIKES?!?

egg sac lee! :D

TVGUY
10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
My only dislike was that the show ended... I could have listened to them all night... It took a week for my fucking voice to recover from a two hour sing along. In fuckin Credible!!!

BALLYJUNKIE
10-09-2007, 06:31 AM
WHATS WITH THE STUPID RED FLAG DAVE WAVES ? DAVE DUMP THE FLAG AND WHEN THE SHOW STARTS ,GET OUT THERE IN THE CROWDS FACE AND SING YOUR ASS OFF!!!...........CHANGING UP THE SET LIST A LITTLE WOULD BE NICE TOO ..........

BALLYJUNKIE
10-09-2007, 06:40 AM
OH I GET IT .... THE RED FLAG MEANS GOODBYE RED ROCKER ,HELLO DIAMOND DAVE