PDA

View Full Version : What it all means to me

Deklon
10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Now that 3 shows are in the book, there is a lot to say. Remember how we all felt? We always held out a little hope, but likely felt deep down that it would bever happen. But we still checked the message boards now and again, checkd MTV News (ok maybe that was 10 years ago) , and hoped against hope that some DJ would tell us that Van Halen was reuniting. Every time we heard old VH on the radio, our spark was reignited and we imagined how that would sund live again.

We were teased a few times...like at the VMA's when they shared a stage together for the first time in a decade. Then we got a coupleof new songs, one of which was excellent. Yet year after year went by, they toured with the other guy and it did not go well. Then the worst...no appearance at the HOF, cancellation of the tour and Ed goes to rehab.

Then, the announcement that the tour was on. We were cautious. The the rehearsal pics, footage, and video. Could it really be???

But not only has it happened, it has happened to the etent that the reviews from both fans and media are over the top. The boot of the FIRST show is notning short of phenominal. They are heavy, tight, and ear shattering loud. They are emotional like we are about the whole thing. Oh, and oWolfie for Mike has become a virtual non issue.

NOBODY coud have predicted how amazing this has turned out, especially the band itself.

As I sit here at the age of 41, grown up with a family and a career and all that, I actually feel like I've gone back 20 years in some ways. It all has seemed to come full circle in a way.

My first sow is Friday at Mohegan Sun, then Boston, then Worcester.

Tickets to see three shows - $425
Hotel at Mohegan Sun - $200
Hearing my 3 year old sing "Guhl, you weealy got me now, you got me so I non't know what I'm goin" - PRICELESS

Ra Power
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
You're not seriously taking a 3 year-old to a heavy metal concert.

Deklon
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM
No, he hears it around the house and the car.

Ra Power
10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Deklon
No, he hears it around the house and the car.
Oh, in that case, that's cool as hell! :)

light 'em up!
10-02-2007, 10:45 PM
It all has seemed to come full circle in a way.

I got the exact same feeling in Greensboro. Have fun up in New England!

flappo
10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Now that 3 shows are in the book, there is a lot to say. Remember how we all felt? We always held out a little hope, but likely felt deep down that it would bever happen. But we still checked the message boards now and again, checkd MTV News (ok maybe that was 10 years ago) , and hoped against hope that some DJ would tell us that Van Halen was reuniting. Every time we heard old VH on the radio, our spark was reignited and we imagined how that would sund live again.

We were teased a few times...like at the VMA's when they shared a stage together for the first time in a decade. Then we got a coupleof new songs, one of which was excellent. Yet year after year went by, they toured with the other guy and it did not go well. Then the worst...no appearance at the HOF, cancellation of the tour and Ed goes to rehab.

Then, the announcement that the tour was on. We were cautious. The the rehearsal pics, footage, and video. Could it really be???

But not only has it happened, it has happened to the etent that the reviews from both fans and media are over the top. The boot of the FIRST show is notning short of phenominal. They are heavy, tight, and ear shattering loud. They are emotional like we are about the whole thing. Oh, and oWolfie for Mike has become a virtual non issue.

NOBODY coud have predicted how amazing this has turned out, especially the band itself.

As I sit here at the age of 41, grown up with a family and a career and all that, I actually feel like I've gone back 20 years in some ways. It all has seemed to come full circle in a way.

My first sow is Friday at Mohegan Sun, then Boston, then Worcester.

Tickets to see three shows - $425
Hotel at Mohegan Sun - $200
Hearing my 3 year old sing "Guhl, you weealy got me now, you got me so I non't know what I'm goin" - PRICELESS

that's what it's ALL aboot

thank g-d dave's still here for us all to enjoy his genius

bon , freddie , they may have gone to that big stairway to heaven on high , but dave's here and for that alone

we all should be thankful

he's the last all time grate rock front man left imo

DirtyDeeds
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Axl Rose is the last. Dave's the second to last. That is, until I think of more.

TVGUY
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Good post.. I'm still working on my 3 year old to sing VH lyrics..

BrownSound1
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ra Power

Van Halen ain't Heavy Metal. :D

riggodrill44
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm 41, too. I have a 10 year old and a "regular job". And, this is probably the most important thing that has happened to me this year. Is that lame? Is that immature? Nope... it's the MIGHTY VAN HALEN... filling a hole that has gotten bigger and darker over the years.

The RRHoF was really the lowest point for me. It was a disgrace. It was embarrassing and those who know me and know I'm a big fan didn't hesitate to point it out.

But, Thursday and Saturday night... 180 degree difference. Yeah, it's different than 1980 Invasion or Hide Your Sheep. But, the attitude is still there. I love that they're not giving interviews. Let the music do the talking. I love that they're not ripping ex-members of the band.

They are smiling, having fun, getting the crowd involved and jamming. Rock n' Roll 101.

I don't get to see this live until November 1 in DC. But, I somehow (hee hee) got a version of the first show and have given it a thorough listen. Goosebumps came up on my arm several times. And that was just audio.

I've lurked on this board for a long time. I think it's been around since like 1999. I posted one time after I saw the Dave and Sam show summer of 2004. I am very happy to know that others feel as I do. I feel good for the guys who have run this board... what a commitment. And now, it's payback time. Enjoy it guys... you deserve to revel in it.

Just like Diamond Dave does.

I'm with you Deklon. Great post. I feel the same way.

ELVIS
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Van Halen ain't Heavy Metal.

They were in 1980!

Ra Power
10-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1

CVH is, not EVEN Van Hagar. They're not death metal, no, but I'd say "Metal Lite". :p

riggodrill44
10-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Correction... I think that Dave/Same tour was in summer 2002... not 2004. Jeez... time flies...

Steve Savicki
10-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Definitely not the Metallica sound. That's what I associate heavy metal with.
In a sense, part of me wants to believe Van Halen were a genre of their own. I don't even consider them classic rock.
A band's own genre comes from an old Guns N' Roses book written by Danny Sugarman. Slash complimented U2 about being their own class of music - not with New Wave and not with pop/rock - U2 had classified themselves into their own style of music. And that's what we want to try and do. And the only way you can do that is if you had the music.
I like to think Van Halen were just Van Halen... or just rock.

ace diamond
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ra Power
why not?
my mom took me to see kiss when I was 2.that was in 1979-the dynasty tour. cal jam 2 we went as a family in august of 1978.i was barely a year old then.that was my first concert ever.

FORD
10-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Heavy Metal is a meaningless media term which has changed over the years.

It's been applied to every band from Slayer to Poison, and those two bands don't play remotely the same type of music.

Van Halen was probably categorized as "Metal" in the early days, as was Ac/Dc because the media thought they had more in common with Black Sabbath and Judas Priest than with Pink Floyd or the Talking Heads, which is true enough, in and of itself.