PDA

View Full Version : "Jump" in C#

steve
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/jump-in-c-higher-key-for-dave-t40620.html

Damn, sorry for the link to "links", but it I ain't the only one that noticed.

The album version is in C, DLR has always played in in C, and it sounds better in C.

No complaints about the show (I road-tripped down to Greensboro with my brother...a friggin catharis - a God Damn brutal wall of sonic joy!), but this was very noticable. As a music fan, you prefer to hear the song in the original key when possible, ya know?

Plus, they always played Jump in C # with Ronald McMidler...leaves a sour, dour, cheesy taste in the hears.

:cool:

Lqskdiver
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Might be why Eddie was off key in that one video. His guitar was tuned differently to what they were playing. Makes you wonder...

Diamondjimi
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Cuntsidering the keys are probably run by a sequencer ,'ol Ed probably figured Dave'll never notice.

ThrillsNSpills
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
They're tuned to Eb like the old days except for I'll Wait and Jump which are in Dm and C.

jero
10-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Lqskdiver
Might be why Eddie was off key in that one video. His guitar was tuned differently to what they were playing. Makes you wonder...

Eddie was off key totally. But it looked like nobody noticed

Diamondjimi
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
It's seems that the one struggling/lacking in this "reunion" is Ed.

So far ...

steve
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Plus, say what you will about the song (I freaking love Jump, personally) but for the past number of years it has always been one of the songs Dave sang best. When played in C major, Dave can hit the pre-chorus (see what I meeeaaannn) in a full chest voice and it sounds damn good. When played in C # he needs to use more of a head/throat voice which is not his strongest singing range.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
It's seems that the one struggling/lacking in this "reunion" is Ed.

So far ...

I agree. I've listened to almost every recording and youtubes I could since the start, burnt the Charlotte show which I've been listening to at home and in my car for over a week, and I've been thinking of the same thing: Eddie delivers (which says a lot as far as he's concerned) most of the time, but there are parts in which he doesn't really sound into it - I mean, relatively, of course. Some "fillings" here and there aren't exactly what you expect, some notes are sometimes missing, like he doesn't have time enough to play them (unbelievable!...).
I just hope it was just because of the fact it was the first show when I'm listening to a boot from Philadelphia.

Al is the one who's already in top shape.

As far as Jump, two things bug me: first, the synth sounds like shit (I hate synths, so as long as there's some in the menu it's better for it not to sound shitty, isn't it?); secondly, I've got the horrible feeling that the current version is fucking close to that of Van Hagar... Even Dave's singing, to a certain extent, which is all the more incredible... :confused:

Too bad they close the show with "Jump", if they really "have" to play it that way... :(
The only bad point of the show IMO, it's a shame it happens to be the last song in the set. :cool:

PlexiBrown
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
When I think back to how fucked up Eddie's playing was earlier this year, it is good to see that he is playing as well as he is now and as long as he stays somewhat sober his playing will keep getting better as the tour goes on. His solos and fills live often differ from the studio versions. They always have with some exceptions.

Jérôme Frenchise
10-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown
When I think back to how fucked up Eddie's playing was earlier this year, it is good to see that he is playing as well as he is now and as long as he stays somewhat sober his playing will keep getting better as the tour goes on. His solos and fills live often differ from the studio versions. They always have with some exceptions.

I agree with you, but it sometimes sounds like he lacks time to nail the proper notes on a few songs.
His playing will improve as the tour goes on for sure, as the whole band themselves - I mean, it's already HUGE...
Eddie used to be so amazing on stage, and he doesn't exactly tally with his CVH stuff yet... Inevitably, it's the golden years we have in mind, we "have" to compare. :cool: