X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianjayy
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jun 2004

Why Isn't Ed Going Cordless?

I've noticed that on most pics I've seen of Ed onstage this tour, he's using a guitar cord. Is he chained to his rig like this the whole show, or have I just not seen the pictures of him using a guitar with a wireless pack? Observations?
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...rofileGood.jpg
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Well...as much as I'm sick of threads dissecting every single minor aspect of this tour (my favorite is "why is the stage shaped like an "S" and not a "V?"), I do have to say that I asked myself that same question about Ed and his apparent adversity to wireless.

Ed's been hardwired for at least several tours now. I know he was during Hagar-Palooza in 2004, and it was just something else for his inebriated ass to trip over. He wrestled with that cord like Steve Irwin used to wrestle crocs.

Wolfgang is wireless, but Ed is not. Maybe he just finds it unreliable? Maybe he doesn't like the pack stuck on what little clothing he's choosing to wear?

Too much interference from all the cell phones in the crowds over the last 10 to 15 years?

Who knows??
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• rocknrolldork
      Foot Soldier
      • Jun 2004

Older interviews with Ed and Matt state that the wireless system takes away from the tone. I think that would only be true if one were to use super pricey high end cables and even then the difference live would be nominal, but then again maybe that's why I'm not in Van Halen. lol.

Comment

• naturochem
        Head Fluffer
        • May 2004

Ed refuses to compromise the instant response one gets when hard-wired, for the signal loss that comes with cordless rig's -- however so slight it may be!! Always the consumate "tone & sound chaser"....

Hey, if he was playin' a cordless, some of these fuckin' BOZO'S would just be bitching more about the delays & shit!!!

It would be great if he were more mobile on stage tho'...
        CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• brianjayy
          Full On Cocktard
          • Jun 2004

Ed's mobility was the primary thing I was curious about. I understand the concepts of tone loss and radio interference, but this is a guy who not only could get the absolute best wireless unit available, he could probably build the thing himself. But, obviously he has his reasons. I just thought maybe someone who knew a lot about Ed and his rig would have a definitive answer. I just know he was wireless from, geez, since Ace Frehley was shocked in Florida and KISS made wireless units popular. I'm sure Ed jumped in around then, the late 70's, when they started touring arenas. And he was wireless when I last saw VH in the 90's.

I suppose only Ed and his posse know for sure. I was gonna say only Ed and his hairdresser know for sure, but he's obviously eliminated that position...
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...rofileGood.jpg

Comment

• BrownSound1
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Mar 2003

Ed had a custom made Sony Wireless for years that no one else on Earth had, but he still hated the tone given by a wireless system. I tend to agree with EVH on this, as I can hear the tone difference even on the best of wireless systems as compared to a cable.

Anyway, this was the answer he gave back when he switched to a cable on the VDIII tour. I'd do the same.

Comment

• naturochem
              Head Fluffer
              • May 2004

I used to use the same Sony Diversity UHF wireless (yeah, Ed's unit was surely tricked out..), which was fine for the minor gig's we played...

From the player's perspective (in pure consideration of "tone" alone..), I'd side with BrownSound, but from the fan's view, (as much of a sound purist as I am -- much prefer the EL34 vs 6L6 sound..) I'd much rather have him able to run wherever the fuck he wanted to without worrying about that fuckin' cable!!!

Being the historically "temperate" dude that he is though, it's probably worth the sacrafice in order to keep him happier...
              CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                Ed had a custom made Sony Wireless for years that no one else on Earth had, but he still hated the tone given by a wireless system. I tend to agree with EVH on this, as I can hear the tone difference even on the best of wireless systems as compared to a cable.

Anyway, this was the answer he gave back when he switched to a cable on the VDIII tour. I'd do the same.
                Ed started playing the old VH classics on the VH3 tour because Gary was willing to sing them and yes he started using a chord on that tour but he had more of a raw sound.

Ed's Van Hagar guitar tone was really processed and yeah he had that cool Sony wireless unit that he wore like a belt and then plugged into the guitar.

I'm sure the fans would love to have Eddie come out on that cat walk and toss some picks out into the crowd. Who knows, maybe he's got a wireless ready to go for that when the band gets more used to jamming live together.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...