X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Veteran
    • Feb 2006

Ny Times Review

Solid piece of journalism, this guy knows his stuff.

RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Sammy Hagar "made Van Halen even more popular," WHAT WHAT WUT???

LOL He don't know his stuff.

Comment

• Figs
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

Thanks for the link.

At least it was a positive review.

But of couse there was this:

"The bassist Michael Anthony has stayed with Sammy Hagar, the singer who replaced Mr. Roth (and made Van Halen even more popular, though less amusing, in the 1980s and 1990s). "

More popular? Certainly not by album sales....

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Veteran
        • Feb 2006

More popular can simply refer to that Van hagar hit the #1 spot, something that Van Roth never did. It could also refer to he brought in a whole new audience, which he did. The Celine Dion/Bryan Adams/rock that your mom could like crowd, a group - however large - that Dave consciously designed CVH never to find attractive or be attactive to.

Van Hagar was a commercial venture, CVH was an inspired group of Cali kids hungry to prove to the world that they were the baddest motherfuckers on earth. There's the difference.
        Last edited by EAT MY ASSHOLE; 10-05-2007, 05:08 PM.
        RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
          Commando
          • Apr 2006

More popular with little boys still questioning their sexuality.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

A Joyful Reunion, Full of Wide Smiles and High Kicks

* Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
            * Print
            o Del.icio.us
            o Digg
            o Facebook
            o Newsvine
            o Permalink

By JON PARELES
            Published: October 5, 2007

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 3 — Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth both had big, open-mouthed grins throughout Van Halen’s set at the Wachovia Center here on Wednesday night. And why not? Reunited for their first tour together since the band fired Mr. Roth in 1985, and despite countless rancorous exchanges since then, they can still sing, play and strut around arena stages with their shirts off.
            Skip to next paragraph
            Enlarge This Image
            Jessica Kourkounis for The New York Times

Wolfgang Van Halen, left, and Eddie Van Halen on Wednesday.

Mr. Van Halen’s grin belonged to someone who has happily rebounded. He was reportedly in rehab on the night earlier this year when Van Halen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While he no longer looks boyish, he is still toned enough to go skipping around the stage while he unleashes the wailing high notes and hyperfast runs that made him one of rock’s most influential guitarists. Mr. Roth’s grin may have held a little astonishment; at 53, he still gets to romp and leer and bask in applause. On stage, Mr. Roth repeatedly embraced Mr. Van Halen and traded high-fives during the band’s 2 ½-hour set. With many fans paying hundreds of dollars a seat, they have a stake in keeping up the old camaraderie.

It’s not a full Van Halen reunion, although Alex Van Halen, Eddie’s older brother, is still on drums. The bassist Michael Anthony has stayed with Sammy Hagar, the singer who replaced Mr. Roth (and made Van Halen even more popular, though less amusing, in the 1980s and 1990s). Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, has taken over the bass. But the band still sounds like its old self, which is now a doubly convoluted feat. During Van Halen’s years with Mr. Roth, it was a group of guys in their late 20s and early 30s who were, with a streak of trouper’s irony from Mr. Roth, amping up the teenage hormonal urges of songs like “Hot for Teacher.” Now they are guys in their 50s reviving the heyday of guys in their 20s who were thinking like teenagers.

Then and now, it’s done with virtuosity. Eddie Van Halen’s guitar style took the hard rock he inherited from Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Who and revved it up with something akin to attention deficit disorder and Tourette’s syndrome. To the old power chords and blues-rock solos, he added startling outbursts of untamed noise and precisely articulated runs — some created by tapping with both hands on the guitar’s fretboard, or hitting strings with a finger to create bell-toned harmonics. Those eruptions continually buttonholed a listener; they also mirrored the volatility of adolescent moods.

A video screen showed giant close-ups of Mr. Van Halen’s hands — scraping a palm or a pick along the strings, shaking notes or chords with the guitar’s vibrato bar, making harmonics ping with a flicked forefinger — doubtless to the delight of guitar players in the crowd. Mr. Roth is in an unusual position for a lead singer, never entirely the center of attention, but he good-naturedly twirled his mike stand and did some head-high kicks as he shared the spotlight and audio foreground with the guitarist.

Unlike progressive rockers, Van Halen didn’t tie its virtuosity to highbrow literary ambition. Its songs — even the ones that get away with odd chord progressions and unconventional structures — laugh their way through thoughts of the most basic lusts. The pleasure of this tour is that even as grown-ups, complete with wrinkles and grudges, Van Halen still hurls zinger after zinger.
            Next Article in Arts (10 of 15) »

Comment

• Hummarstra
              Commando
              • Feb 2004

Roth was fired? Think the Times will issue a correction?

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

sounds like the reader would never have heard of Dave or Ed..or Ed technique?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  More popular can simply refer to that Van hagar hit the #1 spot, something that Van Roth never did. It could also refer to he brought in a whole new audience, which he did....
                  We can semantically argue the "facts" of in his writings all day, it is relative and they're "defensible" I suppose.

But it ain't "good" journalism...

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    More popular can simply refer to that Van hagar hit the #1 spot, something that Van Roth never did. It could also refer to he brought in a whole new audience, which he did. The Celine Dion/Bryan Adams/rock that your mom could like crowd, a group - however large - that Dave consciously designed CVH never to find attractive or be attactive to.

Van Hagar was a commercial venture, CVH was an inspired group of Cali kids hungry to prove to the world that they were the baddest motherfuckers on earth. There's the difference.
                    cvh did hit #1 with jump.
                    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• chi-town324
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Feb 2007

if they release new material, then we can talk about who sold more

Comment

• light 'em up!
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2004

"Van Halen still hurls zinger after zinger"

I love it!

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                          if they release new material, then we can talk about who sold more
                          Even if they don't - I hope they do, but last time I checked (used to work in music distribution), the CVH catalog has STILL outsold the Spam years handily....
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                            Sniper
                            • Apr 2004

I bet VHI and 1984 have vastly outsold all of the Van Hagar stuff combined.

Also Jump was Van Halen's only #1 single. Van Hagar never had a #1 single.
                            "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

LOL @ Dave being fired.

Ed JUST got over the fact that Dave walked out on him 22 years ago.
                              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

Working...