PDA

View Full Version : Will Van Halen Release A Live 2007-Tour DVD

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
And if they do, would you be satisfied?

Would you be pissed if they didn't release any live material from 1974-1984?

Certainly there are cameras present for the live screens. But is there any way of telling if the cameras are filming the tour for a live film release?

dave_is_vh
10-07-2007, 03:38 PM
They better fucking release a DVD.

They should release tons of DVDs. It is easy money.

Hummarstra
10-07-2007, 04:07 PM
NickDFresh, can I hijack your thread? ;) I hope they release a DVD and include Oakland '81 on it.

So, everybody listen up.
Should we mount a internet campaign or petition to get Dave and Ed to release Oakland? It seems we should seize the opportunity now and get our voices heard. Whaddya think?

Jérôme Frenchise
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Live stuff on the view would be one more reason why Dave takes so much care of his vocals...
It's very plausible that they'll release onstage recordings IMO. :cool:

philouze
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm in

jharp84
10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
What about 1980 Invasion film that was never released! As well!

chi-town324
10-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
What about 1980 Invasion film that was never released! As well! now your talkin

jharp84
10-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Rams - almost!! Fuck the cubs/bears! I still hate the Pack though!

Nickdfresh
10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
NickDFresh, can I hijack your thread? ;) I hope they release a DVD and include Oakland '81 on it.

So, everybody listen up.
Should we mount a internet campaign or petition to get Dave and Ed to release Oakland? It seems we should seize the opportunity now and get our voices heard. Whaddya think?

Been done, use the search function or go through Dave PA Rentals threads...

(but somehow I'm getting the feeling that you already knew that...)

Terry
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Will they?

Who knows.

They should, though, and not a case of 2007 OR the old stuff as a choice, either.

Release as much of it as they can (1978-1984, AND 2007) on a two or three disc set.

More than a few people are out there waiting for them to do it...more than few people are waiting to give them hard-earned coin for it, so if they don't it's a loss all the way around.

This band is way fucking overdue for some serious CVH box-set style releases. And the Hagar period has been MORE than represented in terms of both live stuff AND promo vids for official releases.

Dave's WITH the band again; time for all those fuckers to give themselves their due for the CVH stuff, rather than just using it to bolster sales of a coupple of BEST OF combo-era releases, neither of which would have sold SHIT had the Roth stuff not been on them.

light 'em up!
10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Will Van Halen Release A Live 2007-Tour DVD

Now that Dave is back in, I would bet on it!

Ra Power
10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Does a bear shit in the woods? :p
Of course they will, the brothers Van Halen never pass on a quick buck.
BTW, stories I've heard make Al an even bigger asshole than Ed, don't know how much truth there is to that. It's my understanding that most of the tension in CVH was between Al and Dave, not Ed and Dave.

Va Beach VH Fan
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I was at the Kiss show here in Va Beach in '04 that they taped for the "Rock the Nation" tour DVD (my son and I have a close-up during "I Was Made For Loving You", BTW)....

There were many more cameras than the few that are usually present for the local video screens.... Kiss had several guys walking around with small handheld models....

I did not see anything more than the norm at the Greensboro show...

Ra Power
10-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I was at the Kiss show here in Va Beach in '04 that they taped for the "Rock the Nation" tour DVD (my son and I have a close-up during "I Was Made For Loving You", BTW)....

There were many more cameras than the few that are usually present for the local video screens.... Kiss had several guys walking around with small handheld models....

I did not see anything more than the norm at the Greensboro show...

Yeah, but wouldn't you think they'd wait till later in the tour, when it was a little more finely honed? Rush had bocuop cams here, big, expensive HD models, I wonder if the next concert DVD isn't going to be from here.

JohnnyRapid
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Why havnt they released oakland 81?

You would think with all the cameras thay have going on this tour, someones recording it

dave_is_vh
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Ra Power
Does a bear shit in the woods? :p
Of course they will, the brothers Van Halen never pass on a quick buck.
BTW, stories I've heard make Al an even bigger asshole than Ed, don't know how much truth there is to that. It's my understanding that most of the tension in CVH was between Al and Dave, not Ed and Dave.

If the Van Halen's never pass on a quick buck they would have reunited with Roth a long time ago and released some Dave era DVDs. The DVDs are such easy money I can't believe they haven't done it.

I had always heard that Al was a bigger asshole than Ed. Then I started hanging out on these boards and I have been lead to believe Ed is the bigger asshole. But I remember when the band broke up everything I read pointed to it being more of a Al vs Dave thing than a Ed vs Dave thing. What I heard is that it boiled down to Dave deciding he want to do a movie, Ed didn't care either way, and Al vetoed the movie. And that was the end of Van Halen. What the hell does Al have against a movie? Led Zep, Beatles, the Who and other great rock bands have all done movies. No big woop. And all Al is is the fucking drummer...

Ra Power
10-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
If the Van Halen's never pass on a quick buck they would have reunited with Roth a long time ago and released some Dave era DVDs. The DVDs are such easy money I can't believe they haven't done it.

I had always heard that Al was a bigger asshole than Ed. Then I started hanging out on these boards and I have been lead to believe Ed is the bigger asshole. But I remember when the band broke up everything I read pointed to it being more of a Al vs Dave thing than a Ed vs Dave thing. What I heard is that it boiled down to Dave deciding he want to do a movie, Ed didn't care either way, and Al vetoed the movie. And that was the end of Van Halen. What the hell does Al have against a movie? Led Zep, Beatles, the Who and other great rock bands have all done movies. No big woop. And all Al is is the fucking drummer...

You do have a point, but then I heard they demanded a healhy sum for this "reunion", and if the stories are to be believed, both Dave and Ed had their heads up their own asses in '96. They did do concert videos, "Live Without A Net" comes to mind. Maybe they just couldn't work out the legalities of a Dave era DVD. They sure blamed everything else on "the lawyers".

dave_is_vh
10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ra Power
You do have a point, but then I heard they demanded a healhy sum for this "reunion", and if the stories are to be believed, both Dave and Ed had their heads up their own asses in '96. They did do concert videos, "Live Without A Net" comes to mind. Maybe they just couldn't work out the legalities of a Dave era DVD. They sure blamed everything else on "the lawyers".

When Ed "blames the lawyers" what that really means is that he tried to fuck Dave over with a crappy deal and Dave refused to be taken advantage of. I'm surprised more people don't realize that.

Hummarstra
10-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Well, if their gonna record this tour on video they're gonna wait until they're totally tight. Probably towards end of the tour.

gunnyhighway
10-08-2007, 03:25 AM
if the band, and the manager, aint perfect pricks, they will release new (and maybe old) live audio/video material. there's so much old stuff waiting to be released (oakland,largo,us fest, etc). even diamond dave never released any live stuff from his solo tours. so the bootleggers never had to compete with official releases cos there werent any. i hope this will change...

Shaun Ponsonby
10-08-2007, 04:30 AM
At first I thought...no...Ed won't give people what they want...

But then I thought...will Ed want to show off Wolfie?

I think it's more likely that Ed will release a DVD/live CD that has Wolfie on it.

binnie
10-08-2007, 04:58 AM
And if they do, would you be satisfied?

Would you be pissed if they didn't release any live material from 1974-1984?

Certainly there are cameras present for the live screens. But is there any way of telling if the cameras are filming the tour for a live film release?

Given the choice, I'd take rather have live stuff from '78-84. But a live DVD of this tour would also be very nice.

Fuck it, give us both!

gunnyhighway
10-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Given the choice, I'd take rather have live stuff from '78-84. But a live DVD of this tour would also be very nice.

Fuck it, give us both!

Once again, AMEN to that!

Nickdfresh
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm hoping this tour would make release of live stuff shot (even before their final record deal in 78') a sure deal....

It seems that Edwad now has a hard-on for punishing anything Mike-related, so who knows?

binnie
10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm hoping this tour would make release of live stuff shot (even before their final record deal in 78') a sure deal....

It seems that Edwad now has a hard-on for punishing anything Mike-related, so who knows?

i think that's the main concern: but Mike would make any money off those releases anyway though, right?

gunnyhighway
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
well, the songs written by VH have always been credited to the 4 members, innit? (although they were written by ed + the guy who sang them at the time). so the sauce guy should get his share from these songs...

binnie
10-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gunnyhighway
well, the songs written by VH have always been credited to the 4 members, innit? (although they were written by ed + the guy who sang them at the time). so the sauce guy should get his share from these songs...

Yes, but I think he signed away his rights to that share in 2004. I'm not too sure if that would extend to live performances however...

gunnyhighway
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
couldn't say, but, considering just the album sales, he must be well off anyway...

ZahZoo
10-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by binnie
i think that's the main concern: but Mike would make any money off those releases anyway though, right?

Yep Michael Anthony would have to be compensated if they released anything from 78-85. Same with anything from this tour since it's all material he's credited with writing with the exception of a couple of 1984 songs.

Unless Ed drops his MA spite... there won't be any DVD nor live recordings released from this tour.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Yep Michael Anthony would have to be compensated if they released anything from 78-85. Same with anything from this tour since it's all material he's credited with writing with the exception of a couple of 1984 songs.

Unless Ed drops his MA spite... there won't be any DVD nor live recordings released from this tour.

Maybe not, maybe not. When MA agreed to changes in his contract back in 04 (which included wiping his name from the writer credits on 1984 on, and being paid a salary as an employee for the 04 tour rather than being a full-partner in a joint venture), those alterations could well have included rights to any decisions in agreements for future releases.

Vanessa
10-08-2007, 11:47 AM
i hope they do, but i doubt it will be released

diamondD
10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Probably depends on how the tour ends. There's no reason they couldn't have cashed in on one for the 04 tour, and reports said they would releaase one, but it never happened.

Moneywise, it's too easy to pass up.

10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
There will certainly be a live dvd released of the current tour. Ed will not release any archive footage that includes MA. Ed is trying to promote the new look Van Halen, so i doubt there will be anything released from the archives, at this moment in time, that includes the 8 tracks from the 2000/2001 sessions.

ace diamond
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
They better fucking release a DVD.

They should release tons of DVDs. It is easy money.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
ROTH ON!

jharp84
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
If they don't(won't happen if Roth is still on board!) I will have enough QUALITY boots to say FUCK U EDDIE!! ALEX!!

ace diamond
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
NOT LIKE THERE WON'T BE PLENTY OF THEM READILY AVAILABLE

dave_is_vh
10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I think a live DVD and/or CD will be released because this is a way for Ed to put money in Wolfie's pocket. If they release something old Wolfie won't cash in. If they release something new Wolfie will build his cash pile.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
On a scale of 1-10. that's just what I was thinking

Dan
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Just Do It.;)

Hummarstra
10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I think a live DVD and/or CD will be released because this is a way for Ed to put money in Wolfie's pocket. If they release something old Wolfie won't cash in. If they release something new Wolfie will build his cash pile.
And Wolfie's money is Ed's money, which IMO is part in parcel why Ed wanted Mikey out. $$$$$$

dave_is_vh
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey Dan where is North Shore? Is that in Auckland?