PDA

View Full Version : When Dave & Ed Met in NYC Circa 1994

Nickdfresh
10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I read this a few weeks ago in the newest incarnation of outsider Van Halen biographies by Ian Christie: "Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga." (http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Wants-Some-Halen-Saga/dp/0470039108/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2443663-3934038?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191881833&sr=1-1)

Christie relates an event I was unaware of - that in around 1994, while Roth was recording "Your Filthy Little Mouth" and Ed and Valerie were in NYC for some project she was working on, they had a chance meeting in the street in which Dave walked right by them, apparently oblivious. Ed caught his eye at the last moment, but Dave kept walking. Ed called out and spun around and ran two blocks back to Dave, extended his hand and wished Roth well. Roth shook his hand, but only returned a look of shock and horror. Dave was supposedly so dumbfounded that he said nothing, only staring at Ed with eyes as wide as quarters. Christie goes on to say something to the effect that Dave was not good in life's more unscripted moments like chance meetings with friends 'gone bad."

I wonder what would have happened had Dave been more congenial? What if he had invited Ed to jam on his album or something?

Would 1996 have gone to shit as it did?

Would Cherone ever have been in the band after Sammy was given the boot?

I think Dave choked big time if this is true...

ace diamond
10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
dave spoke of this is his book "crazy from the heat"

Grant
10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I love the way Dave tells this story in CFTH - he puts it something to the effect of, "Someone was calling my name out behind me...I turn round and see this fat guy waving his hands at me" then realising it was Eddie with a few added kilos. That imagery just cracks me up!

Ed's account of this meeting - slightly different compared to Dave's version - was that Dave was fairly quiet the whole time and was indeed shocked when Ed shaked his hand and wished him well.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-08-2007, 07:11 PM
The truth is probably somewhere in between...

topjim2y
10-08-2007, 08:11 PM
dave sucked ed's cock

Shaun Ponsonby
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Yea, well, you sucked your uncle Ted's cock...so who are you to pass judgement?

Chong Li
10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I think Ed likes Dave because Dave DOES take charge. And as much as Ed would never say it, he is a follower who needs to be told what to do.

jharp84
10-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by topjim2y
dave sucked ed's cock

NO! HE FUCKED ED'S GIRLFRIEND!~ THEN YOUR MOTHER/SISTER/COUSIN etc.etc. :eek:

Warham
10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
It points out the fact that Ed has never hated Dave.

He said once that he always loved him. I suspect that the real trouble was between Al and Dave, for creative control of the band.

dave_is_vh
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Al you fucking useless prick.

ALMOSTsaved
10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
In that old "Redbook" (yes, the woman's mag) interview, Val was quoted as saying "Ed is far more forgiving of Dave than I would be." Or something along those lines.

jharp84
10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
BUT DAVE DID!! FUCK AL'S WIFE!! HUH!! YES!!! 1984!!

jharp84
10-08-2007, 08:46 PM
MAYBE 1983! I have had a few DRINKS!!

chi-town324
10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
i read the book...but can you really see Ed running 2 blocks after Dave just to say good luck...complete bullshit

ace diamond
10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
MAYBE 1983! I have had a few DRINKS!!

ME TOO!!!I NEED MORE, JUST RAN OUT........TIME NOW TO FETCH A FRESH BOTTLE OF JACK DANIELS!!!

jharp84
10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
In that old "Redbook" (yes, the woman's mag) interview, Val was quoted as saying "Ed is far more forgiving of Dave than I would be." Or something along those lines.

It figures! Fuck you CUNT! CONTROLLING-? I don't think so! ED never quit the bottle for ya ass bitch!! FUCK YOU! Who's ON TOP NOW!!

jharp84
10-08-2007, 08:58 PM
AND I DIDN'T QUIT THE BOTTLE FOR MY FUCKED UP WIFE(2 internet dates - one day!) JFC! NO self-respecting bitch on this site would ever do that! SO FUCK YOU TOO!!

Grant
10-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by WAR

He said once that he always loved him. I suspect that the real trouble was between Al and Dave, for creative control of the band.

True.

I've always put it down to just purely different personalities that clash but that still nevertheless loved and respected one another - Dave's outrageous (yet lovable) behaviour always driving the ever insecure Edward constantly crazy. I believe Ed summed it with, "Dave is the kinda guy who just sucks the life outta me."

ELVIS
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Edward running two blocks without getting lost is proof that he was sober at the time...

I doubt he could do that now...

:elvis:

Little Lamont
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
BUT DAVE DID!! FUCK AL'S WIFE!! HUH!! YES!!! 1984!!

Do you know this a fact? I mean have you (or anyone reading this) actually read it in a reputable publication, 'cause we've all heard the rumor and I bet it's not true.

jharp84
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Why the FUCK - all the bullshit for years! Yes I have it on video!

chi-town324
10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
u tell em Juice

jharp84
10-08-2007, 09:56 PM
fuckin trolls! hey! hey! hey!

BALLYJUNKIE
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
YOU MEAN EDDIE WAS JUST WALKING DOWN THE STRRET AND BUMPED INTO DAVE ....UH ..... IVE WALKED DOWN MANY CITY STREETS ,NEVER SAW DAVE ,HOW COME HES SO LUCKY ?..... NEW YORK ,I GUESS

Grant
10-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
Do you know this a fact? I mean have you (or anyone reading this) actually read it in a reputable publication, 'cause we've all heard the rumor and I bet it's not true.

We don't know if it's true. But for what it's worth, that magazine (Kerrang?) at the time that initially reported it said that Eddie went to Dave, after reading that a "Valerie" got it on with Dave, thinking it was his Valerie and not Alex's (i.e. Valerie Kendall). Eddie broke his wrist supposedly after trying to start a fight with Dave, and he did miss a few shows on the Diver Down Tour - as a result of a broken wrist. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Alex said in an interview with The Inside regarding meeting Dave in the studio in 1996 after so many years, he quoted saying something to the effect, "Sorry for screwing your old lady" - a reference to his ongoing bitterness with Dave and what he (Dave) probably said to him at the time. I'd have to search through that one though.

jharp84
10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
DUDE! IF I didn't give ya a 5-er! already! I would know! And I was one of the first! to give LL 5-er! So WTF!!

firestarter
10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
dave states in his book when he saw ed with valerie on the streets of NYC, Dave said right before my eyes, ed how are you? and valerie said he's all right.

Nickdfresh
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I heard that Dave nailed her BEFORE she was Alex's wife, though...

Satan
10-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by WAR

How the HELL could Alex have creative control of the band when he didn't create shit?

tod
10-09-2007, 12:14 AM
The only one that choked was Gary Cherone on Edward's bone. Dave could've shit gold coins into Edward's hands and it wouldn't have changed '96 any.

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I wonder what would have happened had Dave been more congenial? What if he had invited Ed to jam on his album or something?

Would 1996 have gone to shit as it did?

Would Cherone ever have been in the band after Sammy was given the boot?

I think Dave choked big time if this is true... [/B]

Warham
10-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Satan
How the HELL could Alex have creative control of the band when he didn't create shit?

Ego, FORD, ego.

Nitro Express
10-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Grant
I love the way Dave tells this story in CFTH - he puts it something to the effect of, "Someone was calling my name out behind me...I turn round and see this fat guy waving his hands at me" then realising it was Eddie with a few added kilos. That imagery just cracks me up!

Ed's account of this meeting - slightly different compared to Dave's version - was that Dave was fairly quiet the whole time and was indeed shocked when Ed shaked his hand and wished him well.

Ed never was fat. He gained some wieght in the late 80's. Dave is a pretty private person and It's impossible to really know the guy unless you have lived around him for awhile. I don't know anybody here who hangs with Dave on a personal level so how in the hell do we know what that guy is really like?

tod
10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
You know..as people get older, their faces change. I'm guessing they probably were surprised to see each other not looking like they did in '85. Plus, it is probably a total mind screw when you're focused on an album and on a stroll then run into somebody whose bridge was burned with you but now they're being mature and cool with you. You know..its almost like being teased or mentally abused if you think about it. Dave was probably thinking to himself "This shit talker is bipolar or has amnesia" after thinking "nice to see someone I knew in my formative years".

Nickdfresh
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Ed never was fat. He gained some wieght in the late 80's. Dave is a pretty private person and It's impossible to really know the guy unless you have lived around him for awhile. I don't know anybody here who hangs with Dave on a personal level so how in the hell do we know what that guy is really like?

Ed actually looked better with the weight, at least he did in the mid-90s... IMO

I think he was working out...

bueno bob
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Interesting. First time I heard that story was right around the time it happened, I was reading an interview with EVH in Rolling Stone (I believe it was Rolling Stone anyway), and the story that he related about it was exactly the same. According to Ed, Dave was apparently flabergasted by the whole thing and seemingly didn't know how to react to it.

But yeah, I think that had Dave been a wee bit more congenial or responded differently...who knows...

DavidLeeNatra
10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
we were discussing that before and I sayit again...dave speechless? I don't buy it...

Warham
10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't think it would have changed 1996. That was all Ray Danniels.

thome
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I HAVE READ THIS WHOLE THREAD!!!!and near as I can tell someone is a Whore.

Or everybody is ........I just can't tell?:p

tod
10-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Hmm..I'll take "Who is riding Kirstey Alley's girdle strings" for $200, Alex....

Originally posted by thome
I HAVE READ THIS WHOLE THREAD!!!!and near as I can tell someone is a Whore.

Or everybody is ........I just can't tell?:p

jero
10-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
we were discussing that before and I sayit again...dave speechless? I don't buy it...

It would have been the first time......

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
THIS SHIT GOOD-AAA, AS THEY JOKE IN THE FUCKIN ALIEN/DAIRY PRODUCING STATE WHERE ALL THE PEEPS GO TO 4-WAY STOP SIGNS AND JUST SIT AND STARE AT EACH OTHER! WELL, I'M FROM THE CITY!! I GOT SHIT TO GET DONE! let us MOve NOw or my NEW DEATH-PROOF VEHICLE WILL TEACH YA'S ABOUT STOP SIGNS!!

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by tod
Hmm..I'll take "Who is riding Kirstey Alley's girdle strings" for $200, Alex....

i'LL TAKE KIRSTY ON WITH A 2-WEEK SUPPLY OF METH! Lose THA weight REEL QUICKIE! THEN LOTSA SEX!!! THEN MORE METH! THEN SEX!! ETC>ETC> :matrix:

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:51 PM
OH! OH! PRETTY WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDDIEVRULZ
10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
"and he did miss a few shows on the Diver Down Tour - as a result of a broken wrist. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong."

broken hand

jharp84
10-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by EDDIEVRULZ
"and he did miss a few shows on the Diver Down Tour - as a result of a broken wrist. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong."

broken hand

Slipped in shower on 1984! dON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT THAT IN 82! lET'S DISCUSS THIS AT SHOELESS JOES! :cool:

Little Lamont
10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Cool, harp. I'll take your word for it.

jharp84
10-13-2007, 10:40 PM
LL - No Prob! I was fuckin w/ya nothin personal! You come to the midwest and your "my guest" No shittin there bro! We will party!! JUICE!!

jharp84
10-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Ya know what! Who the fuck knows? Who the fuck Cares? They ARE BACK!! LL - you come to the midwest! I'll take care of ya my so cal brother! JHARP!! CHICAGO STYLE!! LIFE ID TO SHORT PEOPLE!

spmusicplyr
10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
brie!