• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Iranian Students Protest Ahmadinejad

October 9, 2007
    Students clash as President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad faces protest at campus speech

Kayvon Biouki in Tehran

Iranian students staged a noisy protest against President Ahmadinejad yesterday when he arrived at Tehran University to give a speech marking the start of the academic year.

In scenes rarely witnessed in Iran, scores of students chanted anti-Ahmadinejad slogans, clashed with pro-government militia and made public a highly critical letter addressed to the Iranian leader.

The authorities responded by firing teargas canisters into the campus, just as the Iranian leader was leaving.

“It looked like a boxing ring in there, but instead of two fighters there were 2,000 opponents on each side of the ring,” said a female student.

All entrances to Tehran University, a sprawling campus in the heart of the capital, were guarded by police and undercover security agents who kept out potential demonstrators.

The protesters gathered outside, with some chanting slogans comparing the Iranian leader to the late Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. “Ahmadinejad is Pinochet! Iran will not become Chile,” they cried. Others chanted: “Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is supporter of corruption and prejudice.”

Some made references to Mr Ahmadinejad’s speech last month at Columbia University in New York, where the Iranian leader said that people “should be free to speak their mind” at university.

“Why only in Columbia? We have questions too!” read one banner.

The demonstration was organised by Tahkim Vahdat, the student union organisation. Many of its leaders were arrested this year and three remain behind bars.

The group issued a letter to the Iranian leader with a list of 20 questions, challenging his rule and authority.

“We have given our letter of protest to the media last night and we have asked questions from Ahmadinejad that we think every Iranian would want to know the answer to,” said Nikoo Nesbati, a spokesman for the student union.

“By not letting us in the university, they achieved nothing because the conflict started even without us. We are not the only citizens of Iran, there are also another 70 million who need to have an answer,” he said.

The Iranian authorities made sure that the anti-government protesters were not the only voices heard yesterday. They were challenged by members of the Basij, a religious militia who countered with their own chants: “Shame on you hypocrites! Leave the university!”

When the two sides did clash punches were thrown but there were no serious injuries and the police and campus security officers took control.

State television reported Mr Ahmadinejad’s speech at the university, quoting him as saying that “students should feel responsible in the international arena . . . Today’s world needs them.”

But it made no mention of the hostile response that the Iranian head of state received from some students.

President’s words

“In a university environment we must allow people to speak their mind, to allow everyone to talk so that the truth is eventually revealed by all.”
    September 24, 2007, addressing Columbia University

“We believe that accurate dissemination of news and information is necessary for political growth and awareness as well as effective interaction among nations in today’s world.”
    January 17, 2006, on lifting a ban on CNN in Iran

“The United Nations must have the possibility to enable all governments, civil society organisations and NGOs from all over the world to freely travel to its headquarters without the selective hindrances of the host country.”
    September 14, 2005, at United Nations General Assembly

Contact our advertising team for advertising and sponsorship in Times Online, The Times and The Sunday Times.

© Copyright 2007 Times Newspapers Ltd.
  • Ra Power
    Roadie
    • Aug 2007

Shhh-wheat! We need to give the Iranian resistance all the guns, money and butter they need.
    ...I'm just skin 'n bones.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3...74largehi6.jpg
    http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9199/justfatwz4.jpg

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

The last thing anybody needs is a war in Iran. Of any kind.

Ahmadinejad is a figurehead. The mullahs still run Iran, and that's the power that future generations of Iranians will resist.
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
        The last thing anybody needs is a war in Iran. Of any kind.

Ahmadinejad is a figurehead. The mullahs still run Iran, and that's the power that future generations of Iranians will resist.
        I still think the John Wayne with the tight ass in the White House is going to bomb that country in the next three months. They want the mullah's gone and they are hoping the Iranian resistance will be cooperative. That's what they wanted in Iraq. No we are going after the ruling elite of Iran and soon. It will cost the US it's economy but Bush's owners want to ruin the US economy to usher in a North Atlantic Govt. System that will make them even richer and more powerful. There will be no US Constitution to debae over.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Iran is at least semi-democratic. Ahmadinejad was elected. The best solution is to support democratic reformers and forget about the military options...

Comment

• Ellyllions
            Veteran
            • Mar 2006

Naw, we ain't bombing Iran.

There are other things in the works that are more plausible.

I find it interesting that this protest happened, along with Israel talking of turning over some parts of Jerusalem to the Palestinians, and then the closure of the Al-Queda links within a very small time frame.

Something is changing. Whether they're all related, I dunno. But that's a lot of big action for a 36 hour time frame.
            "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Wonder if Ahmadinnerjacket is experiencing a little Deja Vu, all over again....

Mahmoud - I remember when we would storm embasseys, now that was a student protest.
              Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...