PDA

View Full Version : So Apparently Wolfsbane's Back...

bueno bob
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
It is now confirmed that Blaze Bayley (vocals; ex-IRON MAIDEN), Jason Edwards (guitar), Jeff Hateley (bass) and Steve "Danger" Ellett (drums) will reform the mighty WOLFSBANE for their first UK tour in 13 years when they take to the stage as very special guests for THE WILDHEARTS on their forthcoming UK dates in December. Dates with openers DAMONE are as follows:

Dec. 17 - Wolverhampton, UK - Civic
Dec. 18 - Newcastle, UK - Academy 1
Dec. 19 - Manchester, UK - Academy 1
Dec. 20 - Glasgow, UK - Academy
Dec. 21 - London, UK - Astoria

As previously reported, Blaze Bayley will headline the Cliveaid event on October 27 at Bar Monsta in Camden, London, England. Also appearing on the bill are CONSPIRATORS (featuring Robin Guy) and BEHOLDER.

Cliveaid is the organization which was set up in 2004 as a fund-raising event for original IRON MAIDEN drummer Clive Burr.

To all my friends in the local area...I'm expecting a recording...

http://www.blazetr.com/wolfsbane/1/wolf.jpg

Seshmeister
10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm amazed you've heard of them over there.

I would go if they were headlining hmm need to think about it.

binnie
10-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I might very well go to the Manchester gig, I'm a huge Wildhearts fan as well so it makes sense.....

Note to Tiki: this would probably be a very nice Christmas present for Sparkie!

SparkieD
10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Blaze's wife told me that this is not permanent. However, last month saw a reunion gig that went over extremely well. I asked her if it was a one-off or whatever. She told me it was probably something they would do once a year or maybe a couple of times. Now it's five more this year.

Blaze has been very busy lately. He's been doing a lot of acoustic shows with his guitarist, Rich Newport. One of these shows was supporting Kip Winger:rolleyes: Somehow, that doesn't make much sense, but whatever. He's also resolved some visa issues so his other guitarist and bassist, who are from Columbia, could get to England for rehearsals and to record the very long-awaited album, which is due late this winter.

Blaze's DVD "Alive in Poland" was recently released and is excellent if you are able to get past the terrible drummer, who is now out.

I absolutely love Wolfsbane, but I'm just not all that excited about this reunion. I think it's a step backward. I guess I'm just afraid that it could mean the end of Blaze Bayley the band, which would be devastating to fans such as myself. I think solo, he has so much more untapped potential whereas Wolfsbane have contributed all they can without being redundant. I do, however, think a few shows here and there are a fantastic idea. They will certainly generate a buzz for the members' other projects.

Now, none of that means I wouldn't love to be there to see it.

Bob, I'll get a recording and see to it that you do too:)

Bin, don't get too excited yet, but there is a small campaign over in the UK to get The Almighty on that gig. Supposedly, Ricky's all for it.

Seshmeister
10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Reunion gig?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fpCrDWXDk8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fpCrDWXDk8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hellish sound unfortunately.

I saw them a couple of times before and after they got signed, nice guys.

To be honest I preferred their demo that got them signed to pretty much everything that came after. Lost the tape about 10 years ago.

My fave song was called 'Dance Dirty' which actually kind of had a CVH thing going on but they stopped playing it for some reason.

SparkieD
10-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Reunion gig?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fpCrDWXDk8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fpCrDWXDk8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hellish sound unfortunately.

I saw them a couple of times before and after they got signed, nice guys.

To be honest I preferred their demo that got them signed to pretty much everything that came after. Lost the tape about 10 years ago.

My fave song was called 'Dance Dirty' which actually kind of had a CVH thing going on but they stopped playing it for some reason.

I was gonna post that but the sound is so bad that I didn't bother. There should be more video of that gig surfacing. I'm surprised that it hasn't already.

I have that demo. It's pretty fucking good. I'm glad someone besides me notices the CVH influence.

bueno bob
10-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Sweet news!

I've been a howling mad shithead for years now...big fan of the old Wolfsbane material, although I had HELLACIOUS problems running down copies of the Massive Noise Injection and S/T albums (only recently won them a few months ago, to tell the truth).

I'm very preferential to "Live Fast, Die Fast"; honestly, if that album would have had the production quality of "All Hell's Breaking Loose...", I think it would have been one of the best albums of the year, if not the best...hell, it's still up in my top 10, anyway. Massively underrated and full of piss 'n' vinegar, just the way I like it...

THANK YOU SPARKIE!!

SparkieD
10-11-2007, 01:30 AM
MNI is probably the best live album ever recorded. People who were there say it was a legendary event. Man, what I would give to have been there and seen Blaze in his heyday.

binnie
10-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by SparkieD

Bin, don't get too excited yet, but there is a small campaign over in the UK to get The Almighty on that gig. Supposedly, Ricky's all for it.

That would be amazing!

SparkieD
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
My buddy Nigel got these the other night. Aparently, it was a fucking fantastic night! The video quality ain't great, but it sounds pretty good! They don't look like they used to, but they sound as good as they did in '89!

Bob, from one Howling Mad Shithead to another....enjoy!

Manhunt!!!!!!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddqFb1QFFVI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddqFb1QFFVI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I Like It Hot (......yeah, Blaze! I do, too)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOXwvAN9B3I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOXwvAN9B3I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Where Blaze says "You with the glasses..." he's talkin' to Nige. Lucky bastard!

bueno bob
12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Damn!! Jase's put some weight on over the years...

Sounds great, though, wish I was there. Thanks for the clips, Sparkie!

binnie
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
There is a strong possibility that I will be catching one of these shows this week. All depends on work (fingers crossed.....)

Those clips are promising!

binnie
12-18-2007, 11:45 AM
There is a strong possibility that I will be catching one of these shows this week. All depends on work (fingers crossed.....)

Those clips are promising!

bueno bob
12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm really jealous, bin! I'd give my left leg to be able to catch Wolfsbane live...

You'd better make it, dude!

binnie
12-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Well (touch wood) hopefully I will do. Although it'll be great to see Wolfsbane, I'm really going to see The Wildhearts.

I can't imagine that Wolfsbane's set will be that long to be honest. Still, adds something special to the night I suppose.

SparkieD
12-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Here's the setlist:

Steel
Load Me Down
Loco
I Like it Hot
Kathy Wilson
Temple of Rock
Manhunt
Paint the Town Red

Now very long, but some of my very favorites there. Fuck, I'd love to be at one of these shows. I think the London show Friday night will be the best one yet.

bueno bob
12-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Well, if I had to pick an IDEAL set list...

Steel
Shakin'
Manhunt
Killing Machine
Protect and Survive
Black Lagoon
Lifestyles of the Broke & Obscure
Money to Burn
Paint the Town Red
Ezy
Wings
Die Again

-Encore-

Greasy
Load Me Down
I Like it Hot
Dead at Last

...Somebody pass that on to Blaze for me... :)

binnie
12-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Fuck me it was good!!!!!

My ears asre FUCKED today - I can't here a damn thing out of the left one.

It was almost one of those nights where the support band upstages the headliners - almost. Wolfsbane were THAT good. The setlist was the same as the one Sparkie posted above, with Kathy Wilson being the highlight. But the whole performance was great: tight, loud, belligerent and mean. Great guitar playing which never became indulgent, and a rhythm section that most metal bands would die for. The fact that the band has a fantastic, and very British, sense of humour only added to the occaision - Blaze wore a vest with "Filthy Sex" blazened across it!

What really stood out for me was Blaze's voice - he can REALLY sing when he wants to. He also owned the stage, and the crowd, doing "you with the classes, you're a cunt" bit, and wipping the whole room into a freny. I'd say that there were 500 people there and, judging by the vintage Tshirts on dsplay, a third had come for Wolfsbane. The band looked genuinely overwhelmed by the welcome, Blaze in particular. The fact that Blaze ended with "we'll see you NEXT time", twice, gives us all hope.

After the set, I picked up my jaw, and began to worry that The Wildhearts, one of my all time favourite bands, wouldn't be able to follow that. Similar concerns echoes around the room. They were unwarranted though, as the 'Hearts treated us to 1.5 hours of musical brilliance. They'd clearly upped their came and played riff heavy, big chorus un-adulturated rock n roll like you've never heard. One of the best performances I've ever seen, and it had to be to top Wolfsbane.

If I hadn't seen Metallica at Wembley in July, (no-one could best that performance) then I'd say this was my gig of the year. I've seen a lot of great performances in the past 12 months (Fu Manchu, Velvet Revolver, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Heaven and Hell, Ozzy, Black Label Society) but Wolfsbane and The Wildhearts topped the lot. What a way to start Christmas.

I just hope my hearing come back!

SparkieD
12-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Binnie, I hate you 'cuz you're one lucky bastard, but I love you 'cuz you are a bona fide sweetheart;)

What an excellent review. Yes, Blaze IS an excellent singer and frontman. People don't realize that because he was so out of his element in Maiden.

That 'Filthy Sex' shirt was Blaze's schtick way back in WB's heyday. Believe me, Sparkie has taken note of it on a multitude of occasions;););)

They are having a great time with this reunion thing, so I'm really thinking they will do more. However, Blaze is very busy with his solo work. It's a different vein than WB, but it is every bit as excellent.

Bob, I can pass your ideal setlist over, but you really should come to PlanetBlaze.com and sign up. We are desperately lacking in American fans over there. Bin, I would love to see you there, too. You guys' favorite Howling Mad Shithead is a mod;) I'm not Sparkie over there, but you'll recognize my avatar.

binnie
12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SparkieD

What an excellent review. Yes, Blaze IS an excellent singer and frontman. People don't realize that because he was so out of his element in Maiden.

Maiden is definately the issue. I was very impressed with how well Blaze's vocals cut through the guitars - really fuckin' powerful!

bueno bob
12-21-2007, 02:10 AM
I think I'll head on over and register. Bring the "American" slant a little more weight... :)

Wolfsbane was (and is) one of my favorite all time bands and Live Fast Die Fast...fuck, I literally wore out THREE FUCKIN' COPIES of that cassette back in the day. It was absolutely the kick in the ass that the rock world had been missing since...oh...1984 or so... ;)

I for one have to say two things:

1. Thank you, bin, for such an awesome review; and
2. I really hope they consider doing it again, because by all looks of things, they HAVE been missed.

See ya there, Sparkie...

binnie
12-21-2007, 03:38 AM
I might register there in the New Year too.

Not sure how much room there is in my life for another distraction, but what the hell....

SparkieD
12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Wonderful! It's not the monster forum that this one is, but it's okay. It's more family-friendly, no boob threads or anything like that, so I doubt you guys will find the site too distracting.

SparkieD
12-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Sound quality isn't as good on this one, but the video quality is much better. Not sure which show this one is from.

I Like It Hot

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Csz95tZu4Pw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Csz95tZu4Pw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>