PDA

View Full Version : Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 02:08 AM
I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?

letsrock
10-10-2007, 02:15 AM
He should be able to pull something.

ELVIS
10-10-2007, 02:19 AM
I have plenty of doubt...

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

:elvis:

PSYCHOVHFAN
10-10-2007, 02:25 AM
I think this tour will result in an album. In 2-3 months these guys will be so ready to capture the magic they have pulled out for these shows, and put it down on tape. I have no doubt Edward has many tricks left up his sleeve and this union is just the perfect thing to reinvigorate he and the others. Wolf is the glue, so if he is up for it, it will happen.

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by PSYCHOVHFAN
Wolf is the glue,
Did you hear that Elvis? :D

ELVIS
10-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah...I heard it...

I've said before that without Wolf this whole "reunion" thing would not be happening...

But as far as live, Van Halen needs a little more "glue"...

binnie
10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

I think that about sums it up. If Ed's prepared to put in the effort, I'm sure that he can still make decent music.

naturochem
10-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Hummarstra
I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?

I for one, am fairly skeptical regarding the viability, or even probability of new tracks from this line up. Assuming the tour remains a continued success, I'm certain that they'll have no trouble getting on board with a new major label.... but will said tracks have long term vitality?? Hopefully they'll be able to duplicate what Mariah Carey & Universal (please pardon the fucked-up analogy..) were able to do after she was dumped by EMI.

In regards to Ed's practicing regularly, I don't think there have been many days EVER, when he hasn't jammed for several hours minimum*, daily... He's never been a social person, and is obviously introverted to a somewhat troublesome degree. Ed's said many times that he communicates much better with an instrument than he does with people... Drunk, sober, stoned or loaded... the guy play's the fuck out of the guitar...

*As fucked up as he was at Fender's NAMM show in January, he answered a friend of mine's (who happened to attended..) question about how often he played - Ed said there hasn't been a day in recent memory that he hasn't played for at least a few hours -- most more than that, and I certainly believe him. Even as drunk as he was a number of times, the fucker still clipped all the correct harmonics!! I know he fucked up sometimes as well, but just check out the NAMM video -- he's obviously fairly inebriated here......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 06:21 AM
I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.

naturochem
10-10-2007, 06:35 AM
And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record.

Could very well fuckin be (?)
Note that he said there hadn't been a day in *recent memory* that he hasn't played...
Given his condition at the time, & his recent chemically altered status, "recent memory" could certainly be a losely defined term....

Why do you find it so hard to believe that he practices much any more?

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 06:46 AM
His picking technique is still lagging. You know you never really lose the tapping chops.

But, this thread is really about whether he can deliver the song writing goods. And, on that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.

vh rides again
10-10-2007, 07:00 AM
theres hundreds of songs they did way back when that never made it to recording, david lee roth has said many times, theres tons of songs
that were put on the backburner.
ill bet they could do 5 albums, its eddie vanhalens life, you dont think he can come up with a new album? come on.

vh rides again
10-10-2007, 07:01 AM
hes tearing up arenas, and you still doubt him.
give it a rest already.

naturochem
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.

Ya mean that last songs we "heard"... You're dead on about that one, bro... VH3 blew some serious dong!!

I truly hope some of the stuff from the closet -- that's not released yet -- will be worthy...

groetman
10-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Ed says in the VH book that he has enough songs written for the next 100 years.

Chong Li
10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I think he probably has a lot of music already on tape. I am sure Dave can write some cool lyrics and melodies.

DavidLeeNatra
10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by groetman
Ed says in the VH book that he has enough songs written for the next 100 years.

oh..ed says...I see

if anything ed said was true, he'd be playing tuba right now...

bueno bob
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I never did subscribe to the idea that Ed has "14 albums in the can ready to go"...didn't believe it then - don't believe it now.

On a personal level, I'd be shocked as shit if anything from the studio comes after this tour. 95% likely that David won't be a part of anything beyond this, and that's not just pessimism speaking, that's experience...

NATEDOG001976
10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Hopefully they will put out a kick-ass new CD in 08!

DavidLeeNatra
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I never did subscribe to the idea that Ed has "14 albums in the can ready to go"...didn't believe it then - don't believe it now.

On a personal level, I'd be shocked as shit if anything from the studio comes after this tour. 95% likely that David won't be a part of anything beyond this, and that's not just pessimism speaking, that's experience...

you say it...as CVH and roth fans we learned from the worst teacher going...experience...

at least I expect a killer-live DVD...and that's it, I guess...

they are on that project since last october and could not put together just ONE new song...but maybe there is a plan behind it...

why putting out a new record without a major company in the back...VH was not in the position to negotiate a good contract...but after the tour with that success and that hell of a party...who knows...

I hope the best is yet to caome...and hope springs eternal...

binnie
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
Hopefully they will put out a kick-ass new CD in 08!

Well, here's to hope!

TVGUY
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Don't forget about those two little winners Ed wrote with Spammula on the last best of CD... Of course those songs were put together with Clown boy in mind... And not to mention that Dave's lyrics are light years ahead of Chia pets. I think my point is that VHIII might have not stunk so much if it were Dave at the helm. He keeps Ed in check and prevents shit like "How many Say I". I Have lot os hope for the future of VH.

WACF
10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Not really.

He peaked a long time ago...I doubt he could do something now that would put the music world on notice.

The best I think he can do is relive the past...perhaps write a few songs in the "Classic" sense...but I would not expect much.

All he has really proven since the mid eighties is that he can write and play decent pop songs...radio fodder.

VAiN
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

I disagree with you here.. the bulk of the tracks, minus the vocals, on VHIII were pretty damn good and raw sounding. The solos were fantastic and everything had a darker sound to it. If DLR had been in the drivers seat for that album, it would have put it over the edge creatively and we would have had a real winner on our hands.

I'm sure others will, and should, disagree with you about Ed's playing in 98 - it was fucking great and he dusted off a bunch of songs from the CVH days to boot.

Back on topic - Yes, I think EVH & DLR have what it takes to 'bring it' one more time.

TAKIN WHISKEY
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob

I agree about the 14 albums worth or even half that amount, but one would have to think that after all this time with no new album that there has to be some stuff ready to go.

How could Edward expect to call anything Van Halen from this point on without Dave? I can't believe that there would be anyone willing to accept a 4th lead singer. Especially after VH came back with such a successful tour with Dave.

WACF
10-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by VAiN
I disagree with you here.. the bulk of the tracks, minus the vocals, on VHIII were pretty damn good and raw sounding. The solos were fantastic and everything had a darker sound to it. If DLR had been in the drivers seat for that album, it would have put it over the edge creatively and we would have had a real winner on our hands.

I'm sure others will, and should, disagree with you about Ed's playing in 98 - it was fucking great and he dusted off a bunch of songs from the CVH days to boot.

Back on topic - Yes, I think EVH & DLR have what it takes to 'bring it' one more time.

Thing is those were written 10 years ago...alot has changed in the music world.
Eddie has also killed off alot more cells since then.

It has been so long since I have heard that disc I do not really remember much about it as far as positives go.

schwing
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
They could record/release the best of the old stuff tht never made it onto albums: Big Trouble, Vodoo Queen, Babe Don't Leave Me Alone, Down in Flames, Bullethead, etc. and round off with some newbies. I'd buy that over this "Best of" stuff that comes out with one or two new tracks.

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 04:09 PM

A thousand DLR's from 1981 couldn't have saved that turd.

We'll just have to have a gentleman's disagreement on this one.:)

schwing
10-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Well, I still long for the days when he could shred like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CXbCt_1mrak"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CXbCt_1mrak" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hummarstra
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by schwing
They could record/release the best of the old stuff tht never made it onto albums: Big Trouble, Vodoo Queen, Babe Don't Leave Me Alone, Down in Flames, Bullethead, etc. and round off with some newbies. I'd buy that over this "Best of" stuff that comes out with one or two new tracks. I'd buy it, too. But, that'll never happen.

OK, we're all taking this too seriously. How 'bouts a nice set of tits.

http://www.bigtits-roundasses.info/images/big-tits.jpg

schwing
10-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I'd buy it, too. But, that'll never happen.

OK, we're all taking this too seriously. How 'bouts a nice set of tits.

http://www.bigtits-roundasses.info/images/big-tits.jpg

I'd buy that too.

lztom
10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
If he really put his mind to it, he probably could but, much improved as he is since 2004, there still seems to be a certain sterility to his playing on this tour, like he's just doing facsimiles of his classic stuff.

Regarding new material, I think a really important factor for Eddie is having a strong producer to get him on track and pull songs together. Obviously the stuff with Templeman goes without saying but once Ted was gone, aside from the fact Spudnuts ruined the chemistry of the band, Eddie increasingly started just putting out garbage guitar tracks on those Van Hagar records and the hole brown sound was flushed down the toilet.

While Balance is nothing great, to me it's by far the most listenable Van Hagar record and has some decent songs (if you judge them by pop rock standards) and great guitar playing from Eddie; the record also has an overall coherence in terms of the presentation. I can't help thinking Bruce Fairbairn was a huge factor in this and kicking Eddie out of his comfort zone- look at how he got Eddie out of the 5150 bunker and upto Canada for some of the sessions.

Then look at the two new Roth tracks. Just incredible, with MWM probably being the rock track of the 90s. Again, big producer in there who can pull rank and get Eddie in line, Glenn Ballard.

Eddie goes self produced right after that and puts VH3 out. If you check out VH3, there's some great riffs on there etc (Fire In The Hole springs to mind) but there was no one there pulling the threads together and keeping Eddie in check and on course.

So, to come back to the point, if they could get this band in the studio in that context with a big name producer who can be on a footing with the band, then original and good (great?) music is very feasible. I just don't see Eddie being willing to put himself in that position. My guess is he'll want to produce a record of Wolfgang's noodling on bass and he'd be presenting it as the greatest thing since Mozart started writing operas as a kid.

WACF
10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I know I am in the minority but I really do not care for MWM...

CGTSNM...now that one I dig.

indeedido
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I have doubts. Not heard much good come from Ed in a while. He has the VH III shit out of his system, perhaps. Only time will tell. And if he ditches that fucking wah

DirtyDeeds
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.

That's not what I got out of that interview... This was when he was noodling arounf on a cello a lot... I don't think that it took TOO much away from guitar playing, he was just having fun with cello as well.

Here's the quote:

Guitar World: How much guitar have you played over the last six years? (This was written before the 2004 Van Hagar tour)

Eddie Van Halen: A lot, but I played more cello and piano. I only sleep about three or four hours a day, because there are so many things to deal with. I've learned to manage my time a little better.

Somebody recently turned me on to the classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma. I don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, but I can play whatever he does because I just let it be. I'm not practicing, I'm just playing. I've never practiced a day in my life. Even if I have to relearn one of my old songs for a tour, I don't call it "practicing."

chi-town324
10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
It will all depend on Wolf....if he begs dad to release some thing it will happen...if they all are one big happy family after the tour, they really have nowhere else to go besides call it quits again. I wont pay to see another best of tour. This is a one time shot for all of us with the current material.

jharp84
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Agree w/"the king"! TAKIN WHISKEY, VH RIDES AGAIN! AM I GONNA SEE BODE A YA"S AT SHOLESS JOES TUESDAY?? Let me know - por fa vor! Juice

chi-town324
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
tuesday..oh yea!

jharp84
10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
tuesday..oh yea!

Bro Rob! One more time: OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :D

cMb
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Do you have faith in Ed's ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Definitely not by himself.

Rick Rubin behind the boards, maybe?

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:36 PM

FULLY SUPPORT!! ED WILL BRING THA SHIT!! 22 YEARS WAITING! HE'LL BRING IT!!!

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Rick Rubin - COOL! I personally feel they can "get it done" w/out anyone of anyone! Meaning the music is there! You don't need to direct this gang!!

jharp84
10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by WACF
I know I am in the minority but I really do not care for MWM...

CGTSNM...now that one I dig.

Diff of opins! Make the world go round! But not around, around!! :rolleyes:

DlocRoth
10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Rick Rubin would be a mistake...

He aint right......

But for the topic......

I'm a firm believer that they WILL write new music........

I have no inside sources to back it up, it's just my gut feeling......

Dave won't get duped again.......

Will it be good? Yep.

Will it be MTV material? Nah....

They don't do rock anymore.

Anyhow, we'll see a new album.....and that will only open the doors for the unreleased shit.

Which is what we all want to see anyway.

jharp84
10-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Rick Rubin would be a mistake...

He aint right......

But for the topic......

I'm a firm believer that they WILL write new music........

I have no inside sources to back it up, it's just my gut feeling......

Dave won't get duped again.......

Will it be good? Yep.

Will it be MTV material? Nah....

They don't do rock anymore.

Anyhow, we'll see a new album.....and that will only open the doors for the unreleased shit.

Which is what we all want to see anyway.

My bad for not sendin' you 5 in the past! better late than never!

naturochem
10-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by cMb
Definitely not by himself.
Rick Rubin behind the boards, maybe?

When I was on Maui in May, I heard Dave had recently spent time there meeting with Bob Rock (the Cock..).:monekyr:

They'd be waaay better off with Rubin than jumpin' into another Rock overproduction!!! Although I'm sure he'd claim this statement was "hurtful for his children", like he did regarding the "AXE BOB ROCK" Metallica petition from their fans...

This gives a whole new meaning to the term "DOUCHEBAG!!"

jharp84
10-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Didn't Bob Rock "fuck -up" several "big-time albums in the last 2 decades?

jharp84
10-11-2007, 12:55 AM
They should do it themselves! Or Ted T! That's it or maybe a newcomer! Fresh outlook, ideas! I don't give a fuck! Just DO IT!! GODDAMN! Just LIKE FUCKIN CORPORATE AMERICA! EVERYTHING-OVERANALYZED! TESTED IN MARKET ANALYSIS! CANNOT FAIL OUR INVESTORS!! FUCKK YOUU!! GO W/THE GUT AND DO IT!!

Hummarstra
10-11-2007, 01:29 AM
WARF posted the "With Out You" video in his other thread. Check it out and ask yourself, could Roth have saved this shitty music?

jharp84
10-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Some of the tunes? Yes of course! Know why? Because it would have been DLR/EVH!! Somes tunes no! But most music would have been diif!

tod
10-11-2007, 01:56 AM
EVH can crank out guitar for an album just like Dave can whip out lyrics. Piece of cake. Those two collaborating make magic. Something tells me that anything new will have an added brilliant dynamic from Wolfgang that will blow people's minds.

naturochem
10-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
Didn't Bob Rock "fuck -up" several "big-time albums in the last 2 decades?

They should do it themselves! Or Ted T! That's it or maybe a newcomer!

Most of what Rock has done after Metallica's LIVE S&M album in '99 has biten the chorizo...

After over a decade of successes including "The Black Album", a virtual production masterpiece, Rock's self adulation has served as a road block & resulted in seriously fucking up some potential chart busters (e.g. St. Anger..)

If Ted T. were to come out of retirement (maybe Mo Ostin could motivate him??), I seriously doubt it would be to work with the sisters again... You know it was also Ted that introduced Spammy to Montrose, eh?? It's beyond me what the fuck that has to do with any of this, but a trivial note just the same...

However it's the music biz, & with serious dough on the table, who knows what the fuck is possible!!

Hey, maybe Mick Jones will return?? (THAT was a fuckin' joke...)

katie
10-11-2007, 05:33 AM
This version of VH has been together for 12 months now.

So I think that they will be recording again.

DrMaddVibe
10-11-2007, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing what Gil Norton could do for them if Ted isn't going to get a break.

chi-town324
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM
like i said they have no where else to go...they need something new after the tour

kamaboko
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by DirtyDeeds

Somebody recently turned me on to the classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma. I don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, but I can play whatever he does because I just let it be."

I see Ed is being a bit modest here. LOL. Ed is full of shit. Yo Yo would walk all over him playing the cello. Imagine Yo Yo saying, "yeah, I got something by this guy named Eddie Van Halen. I can play all his shit even though I've just recently picked up the guitar for the first time. I don't practice. I just let it be". Yo Yo would never say something so fucking stupid. Ed is a fucking idiot.

WACF
10-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I do not doubt he can play it...play it well though is the thing.

jharp84
10-13-2007, 09:58 PM
HE'S GONNA BRING IT! BIG TIME!

Hummarstra
10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by jharp84
HE'S GONNA BRING IT! BIG TIME! Thats the spirit!

I hope your right!!

DrMaddVibe
10-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by WACF
I do not doubt he can play it...play it well though is the thing.

So I guess he doesn't need the tuba lessons?:cool:

Panamark
10-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't understand anybody who doubts he could still
create a new song/riff ??

Like riding the old proverbial bicycle, once learned,
never forgotten..

Besides he has the glycerine to go with his nitro now !!!

janarak
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Thought that MWM and CGTSNM were great.
Am sure dave and ed still have the magic.
Though I do think that a strong producer would keep ego's down to a minimum.

jharp84
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
If that is what it take's Cool w/me! Get T.T out of retirement! Fuck! They could even film the documentary: T.T & VH in STUDIO! I'd pay just for that! Throw in some old clips and you got your "bonus" director's cut expanded cd and they fuckin add $12.00 to the original price!

janarak
10-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Bob Rock worked on alae and thats my fav Dave solo album .
Gil Norton would be an interesting choice.
But I would def stay away from the producing themselves.

jharp84
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Where the fuck is Donn Landee these days??