• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

10 Steps To Restore Democracy To America

Thom Hartmann's Ten Steps To Restore Democracy To America

A Declaration of Rights for the 21st Century

1. Human rights are for humans. Corporations are not persons. We must update the 14th Amendment to insert "natural" before the word "persons" so corporations can no longer claim the "right to lie," the "right to hide their crimes," the "right to buy politicians and influence elections," and "the right to force themselves on communities that don't want them." Corporate charter laws should be amended on a state-by-state basis to reinstate the spirit of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act by again outlawing the ownership of one corporation by another, to limit the term of a corporation, to insert Corporate Code-like language requiring a corporation to place the needs of its community above its desire for profits, and, as Teddy Roosevelt so strongly urged us, to ban corporations from political activity of any sort. Similarly, corporations are not nations and shouldn't stand on an equal footing with nations. The United States should withdraw from support of treaties and agreements such as NAFTA, GATT, WTO, and its support of The World Bank.

2. We own our government and our commons. "Drowning government in a bathtub" as the neo-cons recommend may have been a good idea in the Soviet Union, but the United States is a constitutional representative democratic republic where our government is, literally, us. It was designed to work for us, be owned by us, exist solely by virtue of our ongoing approval, and must answer to us. Government functions must be transparent, and that transparency must also apply to corporations hired by government, particularly any who handle our votes. The shared commons of our nation - including our air, water, transportation routes, airwaves and cable networks, communication systems, military, police, prisons, fire services, health care infrastructure, and courts must be held either by locally-controlled non-profit corporations or by government responsive to its citizens. Because our federal legislators represent us, any benefits, rights, and privileges they have voted for themselves must apply to all of us. Similarly, just as we must balance our budgets every year except when in a crisis, so must our governments. Finally, government must not be a stepping-stone to private profiteering. We must re-institute laws against "revolving doors," particularly with regulatory agencies and the military and those they regulate or who provide military supplies.

3. In a democratic republic, government must represent the will of the majority of the citizens while protecting the rights of the minorities. To make American government more democratic, we must join the rest of the world's modern democracies and institute either proportional representation or Instant Runoff Voting systems at local, state, and federal levels. Similarly, human rights movements defending minorities and women against exploitation by corporate power structures or harm from paranoids, homophobes, and racists must be recognized, and the Equal Rights Amendment passed.

4. A strong middle class is vital to democracy. In 1792, James Madison defined government's role in promoting an American middle class, "By the silent operation of the laws, which, without violating the rights of property, reduce extreme wealth towards a state of mediocrity, and raise extreme indigence toward a state of comfort." To say that somebody who earns millions a year by arbitrage "works that much harder" than a middle-class wage earner is simple nonsense. We recommend restoring inflation-indexed income tax and inheritance tax rates to those that were extant from the 1930s to the 1960s - during the golden era of the American middle class. We also recommend that government become the "employer of last resort" by taking on public works projects and supporting the arts, as it did during that era, and establishing a truly livable minimum wage.

5. Building a civilization on liquefied fossils and then thinking it will last forever makes no sense. According to British Petroleum, world oil reserves are enough to sustain us only into our children's lifetimes, and then will run out. We must institute a Manhattan Project type of effort to create viable energy sources that are not dependent on fossil fuels, and, in the meantime, take immediate steps to reduce use of and preserve our precious stores before they're exhausted.

6. We are part of nature. The natural world - including our water and air - is our most vital and essential commons, and therefore must be protected from those who would despoil it for short-term profit. As we poison the world, we cause human cancer epidemics and degrade our own quality of life. We - through our representative government - must take immediate steps to protect the commons we share with all other life on planet Earth.

7. Education is a human right, regardless of station of birth. When Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia, his vision was to provide a free education to every person interested in and capable of participating. The Founders knew that classroom education is a right - and not a requirement - for life in a democracy. Therefore, university education should be free to all who academically qualify, and primary school education should not be compulsory but neither should it be provided by for-profit corporations..

8. Health care is a human right and necessary to sustain freedom in a democracy. America should join every other industrialized democracy in the world by instituting a single-payer health care system.

9. America is not a kingdom, and we don't elect kings. To turn back from the "imperial presidency" and return the executive branch to its position co-equal with the other two branches of government, we recommend disbanding the primary instrument of presidential power - the Office Of Homeland Security - and requiring the President to meet weekly in open and public discussion with all members of Congress, as is done in the United Kingdom (“Prime Minister’s Questions”) and most other modern democracies.

10. The US Government is an instrument of secular democracy, not a religious theocracy, and has no right in our churches, homes, or bedrooms. What we do in private, among consenting adults, is our business and our business only. Prostitution, drug abuse, alcoholism, and gambling addiction are medical problems, and thus should be handled by medical authorities, and all attempts to place these in the realm of the criminal justice system should be rescinded. Similarly, the government has no right or business using the language or beliefs of any one of our many religions, or to tell any of our religions what or how they should behave or believe.

(c) Copyright 1996-2005, Mythical Research, Inc. and Thom Hartmann
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

AMEN

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Kucinich/Hartmann 2008!!
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• WACF
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Very good peice.

The only problem I have is number 10 partially.

My thoughts are that when drug and or alchohol addiction, prostitution, gambling addicitons are sometimes much bigger than medical solutions.

For example...a pimp exploiting an underage prostitute and the John involved need to be dealt with in the justice stysem...there needs to be consequences in some cases.

The Prostitute...she needs medical and social programs to hopefully get her on the right track.

My feeling is that in some cases there will need to be some overlapping of the two...

Comment

• Blackflag
          Banned
          • Apr 2006

That's the kind of "I can tell you the problem, but I can't propose a good solution" rambling that ignorant people come up with.

For example: "outlawing the ownership of one corporation by another, to limit the term of a corporation, to insert Corporate Code-like language requiring a corporation to place the needs of its community above its desire for profits"

1. What problem is that supposed to address other than an immature "corporations are bad" attitude? 2. How would you enact any meaningful legislation to make that happen, and 3. What exactly is that supposed to accomplish even if you did?

There are plenty of articles on realistic and meaningful corporate reform proposals if this guy could put down his copy of Highlights long enough to read them. Fucking childish drivel.

Oh, and I like the "Corporate Code-like language" quote. You know, there are words we have to describe that "Code-like" stuff. Maybe the author should learn them. Ass.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe you should try listening to Hartmann's show, and learn something?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Blackflag
              Banned
              • Apr 2006

Yeah, he sounds pretty well-informed...kind of like a child who shits his own pants to try and get attention.

I wrote an article on this kind of reform a few years ago, but "Hartman" can probably school me on all that "corporate code type" of stuff and research efforts that are of the "Manhattan Project type."

Very articulate. We'll just draw analogies instead of stating what we mean - "type of thing." Kind of small-vocabulary type of thing.

Tell you what, I'll turn on the radio and listen to this asshat right after I listen to "Rush Limbaugh" type shows.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

I don't really know of Thom Hartmann but I sure like what I just read!
                http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
                Originally posted by Nitro Express
                ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
                http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
                Originally posted by VanHalener
                ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
                Originally posted by FORD
                ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Maybe you should try listening to Hartmann's show, and learn something?
                  I don't watch TV anymore but where and when is that on?
                  ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                  ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• Blackflag
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
                    I don't really know of Thom Hartmann but I sure like what I just read!
                    Me, too. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Watching Sesame Street makes me feel like that, too.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by blonddgirl777
                      I don't watch TV anymore but where and when is that on?
                      He's not on TV. He's on the radio, though maybe not in Canada.

But if you go to his website, you could look at the list of affiliates, and probably listen to an internet stream from one of them.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blackflag
                        ... It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...
                        I told you; Lay off the potato booze!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
                          Me, too. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Watching Sesame Street makes me feel like that, too.
                          All jokes aside, if you actually gave the guy a listen, I believe you'd change you mind.

He's quite the accomplished author as well.

Or you could just throw around your Limbaugh insults, which to those who know the difference, just shows you as ignorant of the facts.

But you've already dug in on your position, so I dont really expect you to listen and consider...

That wouldnt be the internet tough guy-know it all way.

But he's worth listening to. You'd realize how you mis-judged him, IMO

Comment

• Blackflag
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2006

I'm not trying to be a dick just for the sake of dickdom, but seriously... those are just little soundbytes to tug on everybody's heart strings without any substance behind them.

Like we need "proportional representation." Who can disagree with that? I love proportional representation, you love it, everybody loves it! Hooray Hartman!

But what does that actually mean? Is he saying get rid of the senate? Is he saying the House is not proportional enough? These are issues that were dealt with 220 yrs. ago...but whatever they did sucks, because Hartman wants "proportional representation," whatever the fuck that means.

I'm in favor of holding national referrendums on issues in Congress, similiar to other countries. That's a position. "Proportional representation" is a bumper sticker.

And I'm still stuck on the 'make corporations expire' bullshit. What the FUCK is that suppoed to accomplish? Nothing. But it would look cool on a bumper sticker.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Just give the guy a listen, look at his bibliography, and his background...

I'm telling you in all honesty, he's no Limbaugh.

Mike Malloy is to the Left, as Limbaugh is to the Right.

The guy is an incredible historian, economist, and political scholar...

I've got a pretty good handle on your politics in here, I believe, and I'm telling you you'd respect the guy.

Don't take a top 10 list and judge.

Comment

Working...