PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen hit machine takes first Canadian city of new tour with Roth by storm!

ELVIS
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
TORONTO (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iG1GZuWK4OqfpRM7srXk_mMWwRMw) - The Van Halen jukebox of hits descended on the first Canadian city of its semi-reunion tour Sunday night, a relentless machine designed solely to whip fans into a frenzy through the high-octane delivery of David Lee Roth-era classics.

http://www.chartattack.com/pics/2007/10/l-vanhalen.jpg

The two-hour show left nothing to be desired for Toronto fans who've been waiting more than two decades for Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth to share a stage and reprise the back catalogue.

The band delivered obscure treasures like "Little Guitars" alongside monster hits like "Panama."

Diamond Dave's voice was powerful, Eddie's guitar wizardry front and centre.

It was perfect, almost too perfect.

For all Roth's talk about this being a new band and a new beginning, they did not stray from the Van Halen canon of classics committed to vinyl between 1978 and 1984.

This was a nostalgic, hit-delivery machine and no one was complaining.

"Finally, they're together," Michael Campbell, 44, said of Roth rejoining the Van Halen brothers. "They should have done this 20 years ago."

For purists, the reunion has been somewhat marred. Original bassist Michael Anthony, who has logged far more hours in Van Halen than Roth, has been replaced by Eddie's son Wolfgang.

Still, the teenage Van Halen proved his worth Sunday night, taking on Anthony's high harmony parts and even eliciting fist pumps from the crowd as he hit the catwalk.

Alex Van Halen's drum solo allowed the other brother his moment, but the fans saved their fiercest howls of approval for Dave and Eddie.

"I heard you missed us, we're back," Roth, putting extra emphasis on the lyrics to "Hot For Teacher," barked to rapturous applause.

If the old antagonisms between the singer and his virtuoso guitarist still exist there were no visible signs Sunday. The two men embraced several times during the show.

Roth strutted like the proverbial cat that swallowed the canary. His permanent grin seemed to say every chance to sing the old songs was a guilty little pleasure he was willing to share with the world.

The onslaught of classic Van Halen material began with the show's opener, their 1978 cover of The Kinks "You Really Got Me."

"I'm The One" was followed by "Runnin' With The Devil," followed in turn by "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" - all staples of Van Halen's live show before Roth's acrimonious departure in 1985.

Roth-era Van Halen songs never sounded quite right from the mouths of subsequent singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone. Although strong singers both, Roth's delivery is all about personality and his performance Sunday made it clear there's only one Diamond Dave.

"I'm sitting on top of the world, yes I am," Roth sang with a wink and a nudge in "Beautiful Girls" that suggested he had found his way back to his true calling.

For fans, the feeling was mutual.

"Sammy Hagar was 'a' singer for Van Halen, but David Lee Roth is 'the' singer for Van Halen," said Rob Brayford, 41.

His friend Rob Vaillancourt concurred.

"Dave is the man, that's why everyone is here," said the 42-year old. "If they had a different singer, nobody would see it."

If there were any questions of whether three men in their 50s and a 16-year-old boy could gel and make decades old material spring to life, they were put to rest.

Roth has long lost the whistle-register squeals and yelps of days past, but his voice was strong nonetheless. The band delivered the material like fans remembered it and flaws were hard, if not impossible, to pick out.

Van Halen's signature Frankenstein guitar, the iconic red homemade job featuring random white and black stripes, was used sparingly - taking a back seat to his mainstay these days, a light-brown model of his own design.

It wouldn't have been a Van Halen show if the resident guitar hero didn't take the solo spotlight. Bits and pieces of "Eruption" and "Cathedral" were weaved into a blistering wall of guitar screeches and wails that bounced off the walls of the Air Canada Centre and pierced skulls.

Their shaggy manes may be gone, but Van Halen with Roth delivered every fan's dream - all hits and no filler. A monster machine aimed to please.

Their 1984 hit "Jump" provided the encore material - surely enough to hold the fans until they return Friday for a second sold out Toronto show.

The band returns to Canada before year's end for shows in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

:elvis:

Diamondjimi
10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes ,it was a great night , fo sho !:D

BrownSound1
10-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Isn't it funny that after all these years the critics are LOVING classic VH? Dolemite Muthafucka!!!

VanHalener
10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Muthafreakin' RIGHTEOUS!
http://i21.tinypic.com/r7vwa0.jpg

Big Troubles
10-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Isn't it funny that after all these years the critics are LOVING classic VH? Dolemite Muthafucka!!!

The critics no longer look like Elvis Costello.

Dolemite Muthafucka!!! :p

ELVIS
10-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Dude, VanHalener, kill that giant signature...

VanHalener
10-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I killed it, I think? checking...

VanHalener
10-16-2007, 10:37 PM
On with the show...

Muthafreakin' RIGHTEOUS!
http://i21.tinypic.com/r7vwa0.jpghttp://i11.tinypic.com/623gdhc.jpg

ELVIS
10-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Coolness...:cool:

Dan
10-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Sweet.:)

jero
10-17-2007, 03:05 AM
A very cool read.

binnie
10-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Fucking great review, I was expecting the critics to get their claws out but so far I have been pleasantly surprised....

Hummarstra
10-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Somebody send that critic a bottle of champagne. That was awesome.

Panamark
10-17-2007, 04:58 AM
I keep sayin it, but compare this to the last Van Hagar
tour..

Was their even one review remotely as good as this ??

Nup...

We win...

Nyeh Nyeh !!

riggodrill44
10-17-2007, 05:39 AM
I loved this quote from a fan:

"Sammy Hagar was 'a' singer for Van Halen, but David Lee Roth is 'the' singer for Van Halen," said Rob Brayford, 41."

scamper
10-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by riggodrill44
I loved this quote from a fan:

"Sammy Hagar was 'a' singer for Van Halen, but David Lee Roth is 'the' singer for Van Halen," said Rob Brayford, 41."

That was classic

Hummarstra
10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
That quote is actually from Roth. He said it on the Stern E! show a few years ago. I still got that on tape some where.

Freewheelin
10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
We is Freewheelin now Spanky ! Every time I read these threads it just makes me so fookin happy to see Dave and Ed as it should be. A representative from LIve NAtion has said twice now that it appears that VH will hit Florida in late March or early April . I turn 40 April 5th ... I cant think of a better birthday present I will ever have in my life .

Big Troubles
10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Coolness...:cool:

look at the power you have!

wow.

:)