X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Carvin Legacy Amp can get a pretty good EVH classic tone

I've never played a Carvin Legacy until last night. I liked it and the high gain channel was really nice for classic rock tones and the EQ quite versitile. It really could do a nice EVH classic tone with the right guitar. With some delay it would be close to the sound Ed got in the old days. I was impressed. You can run EL-34 or 6L6 tubes and there's a half power switch. Great glassy cleans and nice Marshally cruch. What more could you want. No ultra high gain though. This was a nicely voiced classic amp. I liked it.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I checked one out once, was not all that impressed. I had an X-100 rig as a kid...
    didn't think it sounded much better (or different) than that....cool clean tones, as Carvins tube amps are known for, but not so much for gain, even a mid-level grit...
    Actually, what I ended up doing with that was putting a 1 rack-space sized Chandler Tube Driver in front of it in the clean channel...sounded kick-ass!
    I got a Boogie and never looked back, but in hindsight wish I'd held on to the Chandler...(sold it off in the early 90s..dumb) sounded glorious in front of any amp, especially an old Marshall or something...probably would sound cool in front of a Legacy too...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2007

Re: The Carvin Legacy Amp can get a pretty good EVH classic tone

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      I've never played a Carvin Legacy until last night. I liked it and the high gain channel was really nice for classic rock tones and the EQ quite versitile. It really could do a nice EVH classic tone with the right guitar. With some delay it would be close to the sound Ed got in the old days. I was impressed. You can run EL-34 or 6L6 tubes and there's a half power switch. Great glassy cleans and nice Marshally cruch. What more could you want. No ultra high gain though. This was a nicely voiced classic amp. I liked it.
      How about this???

Those Carvin's are probably pretty decent amps I've never tried one before. I'm just strictly in that one Vintage Marshall/Fender Twin Reverb tone.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

A Carvin sounds like a Carvin...

Not my cup of tea...

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          A Carvin sounds like a Carvin...

Not my cup of tea...

Nor mine, but I was a kid on a budget once.
          The Carvins sound pedestrian (to my ears, at least), while a good Marshall or Boogie sounds like it might possibly destroy your neighborhood...

That JMP looks cool..how's it sound, EB?
          I soo want to build a Plexi clone...
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jhale667
            Nor mine, but I was a kid on a budget once.
            The Carvins sound pedestrian (to my ears, at least), while a good Marshall or Boogie sounds like it might possibly destroy your neighborhood...

That JMP looks cool..how's it sound, EB?
            I soo want to build a Plexi clone...
            Those JMP's rock, simple as that. Yngwie uses them. Also Michael Schenker used them back in the 70's when he was in UFO.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
              How about this???

Those Carvin's are probably pretty decent amps I've never tried one before. I'm just strictly in that one Vintage Marshall/Fender Twin Reverb tone.

I hear ya. I'm an old Marshall/Fender junkie. I don't know, a lot of things come into play speaker cabs, guitars, how the amp is biased, tubes. I was getting a good tone out of my friend's Legacy.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Marshalls are very tweakable. It's easier if it's the old peg board instead of circuit board but anything from a JTM 45 up to a JCM 800 can be revoiced the way you like.

It's just that collectors have driven the prices up. I have a Metro 67 kit and it's a decent amp. Building amps is fun but if you can get somebody that knows how to lay the wiring out neat to help you, that's a big plus.

Comment

Working...