PDA

View Full Version : Can VH continue selling out arenas if they stay together, after the novelty wears off

dave_is_vh
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Can VH continue selling out arenas if they stay together, after the novelty wears off?

This is the first tour in 23 years so it is no surprise it is selling out or close to it on every show.

But what happens if VH stays together and continues to record and tour?

Will they still sell out arenas if a VH tour becomes a regular occurance every two years or so?

Anonymous
10-21-2007, 01:14 PM
IF they capitalize on the success of the tour, release a new album with proper label support, advertising it EVERYWHERE as the hottest album for 2008 AND getting major play on the radio, yes indeed.

We may even witness the rebirth of guitar heroes and feel-good rock n' roll.

In other words, no.

Cheers! :bottle:

Nickdfresh
10-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Nostalgia tours don't last forever...

Only if they put out a viable album, and stop making retarded decisions like airbrushing the memory of Michael Anthony out of the band's history...

Such acts make them about a viable in the long term as Spinal Tap in the real world, and is the clear symptom of a much greater problem..

Warham
10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Was that part of Anthony signing off his rights; that he could be airbrushed off of any Van Halen album covers?

Northern Girl
10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Can VH continue selling out arenas if they stay together, after the novelty wears off?

No. That is why you better go see them now while you have the chance.

I predict new music from them would suck donkey balls, sorry to say!

binnie
10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
If Poison can, Van Halen can....

chi-town324
10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
this is a one time shot...new music is a must for any other sucess

vh rides again
10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
vanhalen has always sold out their concerts, i would have to say that now all the people who tryed to log on to ticket masters website at 9:30 am to buy tickets and couldnt get one will be able to buy one on the next tours.

of course they will still sell out, its vanhalen.

it will be outdoor stadiums next summer.

chi-town324
10-21-2007, 03:39 PM
with new music we hope huh Sean...

SNIPER
10-21-2007, 04:03 PM
You are forgetting the MA Van Halen reunion tour in a couple years. Ed's new brother comming back. That should be good for another sellout tour.

Terry
10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Standing room only in outdoor stadiums as in football-sized?

Nope. Not even if MA were in the band right now AND a killer new album had preceeded the tour.

This current incarnation would be good for another round of sellouts in arenas a second time around (am presuming the "current first time" around is gonna include another leg or two in 2008), perhaps even a third, without any new music forthcoming...although said new music seems less crucial in today's market than it did a decade ago; not necessarily slamming the current version of Van Halen here, but (to expand on Binnie's example) if a half-assed bunch of eternal Van Halen pretenders like Poison can continue to draw large crowds to various 10,000 seat + venues around the nation, would it be folly to expect less from Van Halen? Concert goers these days show more than a willingness to shell out bucks to watch nostalgia excercises, and considering the contemporary acts out there, who the fuck can blame them?

Am sure the crowd capacities would dwindle SOMEWHAT after the initial 'novelty' wore off, but doubt you'd see them reduced to, say, headlining the House of Blues 3 years from now.

chi-town324
10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SNIPER
You are forgetting the MA Van Halen reunion tour in a couple years. Ed's new brother comming back. That should be good for another sellout tour. dont think that will happen

SNIPER
10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
dont think that will happen

YA THINK!?

LoungeMachine
10-21-2007, 07:49 PM
One of 3 things will happen....

a] Flush from the success of the tour, they decide to hit other markets like Europe, etc.... Burning out and flogging the dead horse

b] They make the right move, go into the studio, and make new music while the momentum is there...

c] End up the trainwreck alot of people were predicting.....and never go any further than spED producing The Wolf Band

Happy trails, to you....

:gulp:

dave_is_vh
10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Keep in mind that there are tons of great songs that are not being played on the current tour. A big change in the set list could be all it would take to make an "old" reunion "new" again.

jharp84
10-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
Keep in mind that there are tons of great songs that are not being played on the current tour. A big change in the set list could be all it would take to make an "old" reunion "new" again.

Yes! AND WITH A NEW ALBUM TO TOUR! 2008/2009 AFTER they SAVE EUROPE/JAPAN/AUSTRALIA? FUCK Anywhere that will have em! They can do this at least one more time WITH A NEW CD!! AND GIVE US THE LIVE SHIT IN THE MEANTIME! WE PAID THE FUCKIN CASH! :alien:

ace diamond
10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
HELL FUCKIN' YEAH

Diamondjimi
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
One of 3 things will happen....

a] Flush from the success of the tour, they decide to hit other markets like Europe, etc.... Burning out and flogging the dead horse

b] They make the right move, go into the studio, and make new music while the momentum is there...

c] End up the trainwreck alot of people were predicting.....and never go any further than spED producing The Wolf Band

Happy trails, to you....

:gulp:

If left to Dave's devices "B" would be the logical move.

Left to Ed "C" would be their path without a doubt ,based on his past decision making track record. The guy is hopeless with people and business decisions..

vh rides again
10-21-2007, 09:58 PM
ill just hope for the best, fuck it.

it wouldnt bother me to see vh come to my hometown civic center in a couple years, it holds 12k. every time aerosmith comes here they sell out, and i can see vh doing that for many years to come.

every time i ever seen vanhalen, it was in a smaller venue, like cedar rapids iowa, five flags center or the peoria civic center, but they did do smaller venues.

i really do think next summer we are going to see some big outdoor concerts, i may be wrong but i think thats what they had in mind before ed went into rehab.

instead of 2 nights in chicago it will be soldier field or alpine valley or some other big venue up there.

i dont think vh would have any problem at all pulling in 50-60 thousand in a big city, like new york, chicago, philly.

i would bet, if they did a concert here in bumbfuck where i live, they could do 60-70 k at an outdoor show.

go out on the streets and just ask people tomorrow if they seen vh ,and when they say no they will ask ,(how was the concert) oh man i wish i coulda went.

if vh can get along they will be around for a long time.

seeing vh thursday made me remember what the people are like at a vh concert, thats hard to duplicate.

its a different crowd, and hardcore vh lovers, most of them there have loved vh for decades.
and you cant change their minds and they basically agree that vh is the best band ever.

they will flock to these fucking shows like moths to a campfire every fucking year that they tour.

we are worse than deadheads. but we take showers.

jharp84
10-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by vh rides again

seeing vh thursday made me remember what the people are like at a vh concert, thats hard to duplicate.

its a different crowd, and hardcore vh lovers, most of them there have loved vh for decades.
and you cant change their minds and they basically agree that vh is the best band ever.

they will flock to these fucking shows like moths to a campfire every fucking year that they tour.

Listen up ya mutherfucker! yA i WAS THE ONE CARRYING THE DLR ARMY SIGN AROUND THE BAR W/ALL LOOKIN AT ME LIKE A JAG-OFF! EVEN THOUGH I AM! And you said right by the door, Who the fuck are you? I said JHARP84 motherfucker! I agree 100% Can't wait til we party agian ya FUCK! JUICE

dave_is_vh
10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
[i]we are worse than deadheads. but we take showers. [/B]

Speak for yourself.

Howlin' Wolf
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM
VH couldn't sellout St. Louis. That's motherfucking crystal pepsi clear.

ace diamond
10-22-2007, 03:06 AM

it wouldnt bother me to see vh come to my hometown civic center in a couple years, it holds 12k. every time aerosmith comes here they sell out, and i can see vh doing that for many years to come.

every time i ever seen vanhalen, it was in a smaller venue, like cedar rapids iowa, five flags center or the peoria civic center, but they did do smaller venues.

i really do think next summer we are going to see some big outdoor concerts, i may be wrong but i think thats what they had in mind before ed went into rehab.

instead of 2 nights in chicago it will be soldier field or alpine valley or some other big venue up there.

i dont think vh would have any problem at all pulling in 50-60 thousand in a big city, like new york, chicago, philly.

i would bet, if they did a concert here in bumbfuck where i live, they could do 60-70 k at an outdoor show.

go out on the streets and just ask people tomorrow if they seen vh ,and when they say no they will ask ,(how was the concert) oh man i wish i coulda went.

if vh can get along they will be around for a long time.

who said anything about showers?

maybe once a week.......depends on if i actually feel like being bothered with the whole bullshit ritual.

Nitro Express
10-22-2007, 03:33 AM
It's a different Van Halen because they are older with less energy but they are still great to watch and people want to hear the classics with Roth. I think if they can make some new good music that holds up, yeah, no reason as many people wouldn't want to see then again.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
10-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
and people want to hear the classics with Roth

People also want to hear said classics played in tune.

naturochem
10-22-2007, 06:10 AM
of course they will still sell out, its vanhalen.

it will be outdoor stadiums next summer.

Stadiums??

Yeah, if they open for the " '08 Led Zeppelin stadium tour..".

-or- maybe if they drop the tix prices to 10 bucks...

DirtyDeeds
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by naturochem
Stadiums??

I'd be more than ecstatic with either!

But really, what I think he meant was ampitheaters. Like PNC Bank Arts Center (formerly Garden State Arts Center before they sold out), Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek, etc.

Ellyllions
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
The way I see it, if the Rolling Stones can continue to be successful...

cMb
10-22-2007, 06:25 PM
If they play a bunch of 'deep tracks' that haven't been played live (dirty movies, drop dead legs, simple rhyme etc...) in addition to some solid new material, they could continue.

Everything hinges on Eddie keeping up his 'I'm a changed, sober man, now' personality tho...

Nobody is going to do business with 'wasted jerk-off' Eddie.

DirtyDeeds
10-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Out of an arena of 15,000 people, there are probably only 15 people that want to hear Dirty Movies, In a Simple Rhyme, etc. That has no part of it, really.

Hell, I bet only 100 people at any given arena know what the set list will be like.

These people are all us internet forum losers haha!

cMb
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I disagree.

But, my main point was that the setlist would need to be shuffled around.

jharp84
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I think some of the posters on this thread will change their minds after they see the show! NOT! That it is BE-ALL! END-ALL! Me - saw em 6 times w/Dave in old days! I was very satisfied(all things accounted for current tour)! And I will see em any other chance I get! If it is not sold out! No prob! Better FUCKIN seats at lower prices!

chi-town324
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Juice and i went to both shows in Chicago...we both want to see them again...we are the true fans!

jharp84
10-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cMb
I disagree.

But, my main point was that the setlist would need to be shuffled around.

cMb! U Bad ASS Mudda! I agree 200%!~ But as you see now the "gang"is starting to setlle down! Patience! I feel only UPWARD FOR EDWARD! DAVE -DON'T NEED NO UPWARD! IT'S BUILT-IN! "BIG AL" KICKIN BRA!! WOLFIE- Let the fucks on this site work that shit out!!!!!!!!!! :D

vh rides again
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by naturochem
Stadiums??

theres gonna be alot of dissapointed people at those shows.

now theres a band that is washed up, led zepplin would NEVER make the mistake of having vanhalen open for them, i think another band that were rock icons did that and it still huants them today, who the fuck was that band???????????? oh yeah, black sabbath.

there was been alot of talk around here about whether dave would be able to sing good on this tour and he did a good job thru song selection, but ill tell you right fucking now that robert plant was washed up as a heavy metal rock and roll singer 20 years ago, he cant even sing stairway anymore and frankly it would be an embarrassment to see him try it.
wait till you see the reviews for that piece of shit tour , talk about a money grab. im suprised zepplin would tarnish their image/legacy.

you guys just keep this thread in mind till next summer then ill slap ya in the face with it when the time comes.

fuck 3 months ago i was asking the best way to get a ticket and everyone here said, oh hell dont worry there will be plenty of tickets, they wont sell out in the big cities.
im glad i didnt sleep in till 9:30 that morning.

we will see what happens.

Terry
10-22-2007, 09:19 PM

now theres a band that is washed up, led zepplin would NEVER make the mistake of having vanhalen open for them, i think another band that were rock icons did that and it still huants them today, who the fuck was that band???????????? oh yeah, black sabbath.

there was been alot of talk around here about whether dave would be able to sing good on this tour and he did a good job thru song selection, but ill tell you right fucking now that robert plant was washed up as a heavy metal rock and roll singer 20 years ago, he cant even sing stairway anymore and frankly it would be an embarrassment to see him try it.
wait till you see the reviews for that piece of shit tour , talk about a money grab. im suprised zepplin would tarnish their image/legacy.

you guys just keep this thread in mind till next summer then ill slap ya in the face with it when the time comes.

fuck 3 months ago i was asking the best way to get a ticket and everyone here said, oh hell dont worry there will be plenty of tickets, they wont sell out in the big cities.
im glad i didnt sleep in till 9:30 that morning.

we will see what happens.

Not to be a dick, but are 'Zeppelin' actually touring, or is it just the one-off gig in England?

Plant's voice sure as shit ISN'T up to a tour of two-hour + sets per date singing Zep standards. Hasn't been for a LONG time. The stuff Plant and Page did in the mid 1990s was interesting live stuff, but it took a LOT of extra musicians to pull it off...and the proposed/rumored tour next year (from what I'm hearing so far) is gonna be a four-piece...fuck, even Plant to one side, I doubt even Page is up to it. He sounded decent with the Crowes, but there again he was augmented by a lot of musicians around him.

Virtually every 'Zep' one-off since Bonzo died has been, shall we say, far less than overwhelming (with the exception of Knebworth 1990). These guys should just leave it alone. I'd be a little taken aback should Page, Plant. Jones and Jason Bonham actually hit the road billed as Led Zeppelin. Mostly because Plant has been (overall) fairly wise as to how he approached that reunion stuff.

Anything short of shit-hot from those guys will be a letdown.

jharp84
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Fuck! I like bode a ya's I was going to say............... Fuck It! This is why all roth army members who can physically "meet-up" should do so!

cMb
10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
U Bad ASS Mudda! I agree 200%!~ :D

Juice, I'm at any DLR show within a hundred miles, dood.

I don't give a rats-ass if it's in an arena or at my local skank dive bar. Actually, I've seen a DLR show at my local skank bar!

Woot!

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:04 PM
ROTH ON MY BRO!! SHIT YES!!

vh rides again
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Not to be a dick, but are 'Zeppelin' actually touring, or is it just the one-off gig in England?

Plant's voice sure as shit ISN'T up to a tour of two-hour + sets per date singing Zep standards. Hasn't been for a LONG time. The stuff Plant and Page did in the mid 1990s was interesting live stuff, but it took a LOT of extra musicians to pull it off...and the proposed/rumored tour next year (from what I'm hearing so far) is gonna be a four-piece...fuck, even Plant to one side, I doubt even Page is up to it. He sounded decent with the Crowes, but there again he was augmented by a lot of musicians around him.

Virtually every 'Zep' one-off since Bonzo died has been, shall we say, far less than overwhelming (with the exception of Knebworth 1990). These guys should just leave it alone. I'd be a little taken aback should Page, Plant. Jones and Jason Bonham actually hit the road billed as Led Zeppelin. Mostly because Plant has been (overall) fairly wise as to how he approached that reunion stuff.

Anything short of shit-hot from those guys will be a letdown. i dont know if they are planning a tour for real or not but there is talk of reunion type tour or something like that.

and with them being the icons they are, there is no doubt they would be doing stadiums, but they cant equal what vanhalen is doing as far as walking the walk.

i love zepplin and only wish they could do a reunion justice.

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by cMb
Juice, I'm at any DLR show within a hundred miles, dood.

I don't give a rats-ass if it's in an arena or at my local skank dive bar. Actually, I've seen a DLR show at my local skank bar!

Woot!

Send me your address in a pm! I got the Philly show 2-cd courtesy of BRU87! The fuckin "WIZARD" of the BOOTS! I send you the show! Juice! Anyone else want ot discuss the matter further? PM ME! I'm fuckin HAPPY!! 2 VH shows in 4 Days! Only 22 years! :smilieci:

vh rides again
10-22-2007, 10:10 PM
ROTH ON MY BRO!! SHIT YES!! you guys figure out how to get them pics up yet?

naturochem
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM

I happened to witness that '78 tour in person, along with seeing VH LIVE in their heyday an additional 11 times, and although I've no doubt that the current tour is producing immense energy from the crowd, and has certainly become a spectacle which has by far exceeded any true VH fan's wildest expectations, if you think that nostalgia has no part in said energy, you are smoking major crack!! And to compare Black Sabbath, icons or not, with a band that sold over 300 million albums worldwide -- over THREE times what Sabbath sold INCLUDING Dio's years -- is fuckin laughable...

Just as there is no way Zeppelin could duplicate the vibe and energy of one of their pre-80's performances, in spite of the kick-ass performances we've seen from pseudo-VH, the Van Halen of today is a far cry, and an entirely different animal than that which existed prior to the past several decades of aging, rehabs, divorces and broken bones...

And if Zeppelin wanted a money grab, why the fuck did they only schedule ONE fucking reunion gig???

I'm as excited as a motherfucker to witness my favorite (modified) LIVE band of all time hit the stage once again, but I am sober enough to realize that this will be a far cry from the day's of old when they ass-raped the competition, blindfolded...

Would I pay to see them headline a stadium gig in the future??
You bet your fuckin' life!!

Is there a fuckwit's chance in hell THAT will ever happen??
Yeah, when Kurt Cobain jumps out of the fuckin ground to join 'em!!

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
you guys figure out how to get them pics up yet?

dUDE! i GOT THE FUCKIN PICS! sEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDREES? i SEND PICS! i CAN'T POST EM HERE@ TOO FUCKIN - NON USER FRIENDLY! FOR A CUNT LIKE ME ! :spank:

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
OR pm chi-town! hE WAS GONNA GET EM POSTED! aND YOU ARE STILL SEMI-HUMAN! yA bald bad ass muddafuckaa!! i love ya! juice

vh rides again
10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
OR pm chi-town! hE WAS GONNA GET EM POSTED! aND YOU ARE STILL SEMI-HUMAN! yA bald bad ass muddafuckaa!! i love ya! juice

heh, your fucking nuts.LOL

check your pm

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
heh, your fucking nuts.LOL

FROM YOU! I take as a MAJOR FUCKIN COMPLIMENT! WE NEED TO PARTY AGAIN! SEAN!! :gun:

vh rides again
10-22-2007, 10:35 PM
FROM YOU! I take as a MAJOR FUCKIN COMPLIMENT! WE NEED TO PARTY AGAIN! SEAN!! :gun: oh im sure we will, maybe soldier field next summer.

jharp84
10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
fUCK YES! You have all I have right now1 iF i GET DVD1` which will fuckin happen! you geta copy! ya fuckin psycho! my kinda people! i will email pics asap! juice! welcome to the family!