PDA

View Full Version : In Response To Ed's Tuning Issues

ALMOSTsaved
10-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Since I posted my Greensboro videos on YouTube there's been a lot of fucking people bitching and moaning about Ed's tuning in "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Jump." So in response to the negativity, I decided to post the Largo, '82 version of ATBL to show that even back then Ed would occasionally be out of tune and that the reasons for it now are not due to being fucked up or sloppy. Shit happens.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzhb42pX52o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzhb42pX52o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

dave_is_vh
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
The high price of being a whammy bar addict.

Terry
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
The whole "tuning debacle" is small potatoes.

Not that this was the intent of anyone here commenting on it, but if one is looking for ammo to shoot down the current reunion with and this is the best one can find, then you're firing a water pistol...sans water.

ALMOSTsaved
10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Actually my gripe was more for the people posting comments on my YouTube page...not really here. Oh, except for those starting the threads in regards to "Jump" in Greensboro. I just felt like posting my bitching here. :)

jharp84
10-21-2007, 05:18 PM
It's all good to me Bro!

Terry
10-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Actually my gripe was more for the people posting comments on my YouTube page...not really here. Oh, except for those starting the threads in regards to "Jump" in Greensboro. I just felt like posting my bitching here. :)

Agreed 100% on all counts.

jhale667
10-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh

Ain't it the truth. ;)

Locking trems are great, and will withstand most abuse, but when you do things like, say-
expose them to a rapid temperature shift, jump off a drum riser, etc., you may accidentally cause the neck to shift, and no locking system in the world will protect against that...
This is probably more appropriate for GEAR STREET, but I once teched for a band
where the guitarist (one of 2) had 6 guitars with locking trems, in 3 different tunings.
The stage was very close to an exit (The Viper Room in Hollyweird) and it was a winter evening. 100 degrees in the club, 40 outside.
Every time someone opened the door next to the guy's guitar rack, his necks would shift, and they would go slightly out of tune...I spent the whole gig retuning his shit....brutal...
Shoulda charged him double...:D

Diamondjimi
10-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Terry
The whole "tuning debacle" is small potatoes.

True. Regardless of Dave begging critics to judge the show harshly.

What boggles my mind is, why did'nt Ed and his kid just shift their positions a half step up ? After all , Ed claims to have perfect pitch..(or was that Yngwie?) Regardless he should've caught it and adapted...

I stiil think his brain is half pickled from substance abuse....

Terry
10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
True. Regardless of Dave begging critics to judge the show harshly.

What boggles my mind is, why did'nt Ed and his kid just shift their positions a half step up ? After all , Ed claims to have perfect pitch..(or was that Yngwie?) Regardless he should've caught it and adapted...

I stiil think his brain is half pickled from substance abuse....

Dunno...was it exactly a half step up?

I play, although I don't have perfect pitch, but maybe it wasn't a case of just going up one fret...maybe it was between a quarter and a half step up...one could hear Ed trying to manually bend up to the synth tuning a couple of times during the performance.

But longtime drinking certainly does fuck one up...

Perhaps Ed can double-check the synth backing tape speed for the next series of shows PRIOR to the performance...perhaps with the aid of a...tuba? Lesfunk, back me up, here!

Or Ed could just play the part LIVE on a synth...can't be THAT fucking hard to switch from that simple synth riff to the guitar solo and BACK to the synth solo (hint: I can barely play piano, but even I can pull off that tune. synth solo and all, and I didn't even WRITE the fucking thing!)

jhale667
10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Dunno...was it exactly a half step up?

Didn't sound that way to me...sounds like a half-step plus, or some weird semi-tone in bewteen...

If that were the case, shifting positions would have done absolutely no good...

Diamondjimi
10-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Didn't sound that way to me...sounds like a half-step plus, or some weird semi-tone in bewteen...

If that were the case, shifting positions would have done absolutely no good...

Maybe so but it still would make it easier compensating a quarter tone bend. The point is moot anyway , I'm sure they've rectified the problem.;)

ace diamond
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
II'm sure someone got their ass chewed out after the show that night!

HG012009
10-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm with you from the start.... Shit happens.

SNIPER
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Keyborad sample was set a little faster then was supposed to be so the pitch changed and made guitars sound flat. not out of tune

TVGUY
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Let me break out my microscope and overanalyze every song on the tour... WTF. It's rock and roll man!!!

jhale667
10-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by SNIPER
Keyborad sample was set a little faster then was supposed to be so the pitch changed and made guitars sound flat. not out of tune

The track was out of tune in relation to them, not the other way around....;)

And again, it's "Jump", who gives a toss? :D

PlexiBrown
10-22-2007, 01:57 AM
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/10/18/onstage-tech-disasters-van-halen-goes-microtonal/

sadaist
10-22-2007, 02:37 AM
What happens if a string breaks during a song? Just wing it or grab another guitar from the tech side stage quick like?

ace diamond
10-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
What happens if a string breaks during a song? Just wing it or grab another guitar from the tech side stage quick like?

when i break a string onstage i just keep on fucking playing. i adapt to make due without it until such time as i can replace it after the show. i only have 1 guitar anyway.

naturochem
10-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Maybe so but it still would make it easier compensating a quarter tone bend. The point is moot anyway , I'm sure they've rectified the problem.;)

I would think they quickly added some type of an octave generator to Ed's rig in case of a similar repeat of this debacle...

Diamondjimi
10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by naturochem
I would think they quickly added some type of an octave generator to Ed's rig in case of a similar repeat of this debacle...

An octave generator would still leave him & Wolf out of tune with the track (only an octave lower).

A pitch corrector on the board for the keys would be the right safeguard.. IMO

Or they could simply fix the problem by replacing that tired assed song with a great one like Hear About it Later or In a Simple Rhyme...

DirtyDeeds
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I was at Greensboro and didn't fucking notice because I was rocking out hard.

Youtube allows all sorts of losers to get off on their own self importance. What a great tool.

thome
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Jeez all those intense guitar /musical jeen - E -ouses can't even tell the whole synth trac is sped up a 1/5 .

Broken strings ASS........... like that would speed up the piano Excuse me while I go sh!t myself.

I don't even play and I can hear the faster piano trac.

Five of them say Sammy sounds like sh!t singing..lol

If Ed had a guitar that was out of tune (as some of these yahoos claim )he could probably tune it back to the correct tune in about 10 seconds.

I love people .:mad:

Eddie's Booze
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Since I posted my Greensboro videos on YouTube there's been a lot of fucking people bitching and moaning about Ed's tuning in "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Jump." So in response to the negativity, I decided to post the Largo, '82 version of ATBL to show that even back then Ed would occasionally be out of tune and that the reasons for it now are not due to being fucked up or sloppy. Shit happens.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzhb42pX52o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzhb42pX52o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Guitars go out of tune sometimes. BTW, It is a real asshole to try and tune a locking trem when you are in the middle of playing a fucking song.

:rolleyes:

ALMOSTsaved
10-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Well it seems my "Jump" video has gone global and was even mentioned on the Howard Stern show today. Ay yi yi.

jhale667
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by thome
Jeez all those intense guitar /musical jeen - E -ouses can't even tell the whole synth trac is sped up a 1/5 .

Broken strings ASS........... like that would speed up the piano Excuse me while I go sh!t myself.

I don't even play and I can hear the faster piano trac.

I love people .:mad:

Amazing, ain't it? :D

naturochem
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
An octave generator would still leave him & Wolf out of tune with the track (only an octave lower).

A pitch corrector on the board for the keys would be the right safeguard.. IMO

Good point, brah!! I stand corrected.

Eyes of the Night
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh

Right fucking on man ... DIV have some stars broham ...

BITEYOASS
10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
All I know about a guitar is that you hit the strings and it makes a sound. What goes on in between, I haven't a fuckin clue. :D

Eyes of the Night
10-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
All I know about a guitar is that you hit the strings and it makes a sound. What goes on in between, I haven't a fuckin clue. :D

Lmao!!!:D ...

My wolfgang is floated dropped D style yo ... and 60% of the time she stays in tune all the time!;) ... have some stars bya ...