• Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Van Halen reunion really got 'em!

October 22, 2007

By James R. Chesna

Van Halen purists say it's not the real Van Halen. Van Halen pessimists say it's just another money grab. Van Halen fans thought it might never happen. After all, the last time it did happen, Mike Tyson was making his professional boxing debut.

Appropriate then, that when the long-awaited Van Halen reunion tour with original flamboyant frontman David Lee Roth arrived in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena on Saturday night, any bad blood between band members, fans or naysayers quickly evaporated when Roth strutted up center stage and declared: "Ladies and gentlemen, rise and smell the conquest!"

Yes, boys and girls, the (almost) original Van Halen is back, and the band is celebrating its vintage era as if it's throwing a big backyard frat party in arenas across the nation.

The band's current lineup is minus original bassist Michael Anthony, who's been replaced by guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang, but it's missing none of the fiery intensity that first propelled the group to stardom in the late '70s and early' 80s with party-hearty anthems like "Hot for Teacher," "Beautiful Girls," "Everybody Wants Some" and "Unchained."

Van Halen hit the stage to the familiar stuttering power chords of its famous cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" and proceeded to delight a packed house with nearly two hours of classic VH, including raucous platinum platters like "Runnin' with the Devil," "Panama," "Jamie's Cryin'" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," as well as more obscure, sassy gems like "I'm the One," "Atomic Punk," "Romeo Delight" and especially "Little Guitars."

The band's energy and spirit were impressive. Eddie and Dave were playful, smiling and, quite frankly, looking ripped for two guys in their 50s.

Roth was clearly pleased to be the center of attention again, soaking up fan adulation like lifeblood, but he balanced his big top game show host shtick (complete with a wide array of embroidered jacket and top hat costume changes) with a voice that was in fine form and more acrobatic cheerleader kicks than you'd expect possible at his age.

Van Halen himself managed several leaps into the air as older brother and drummer Alex Van Halen flailed octopus-like behind his kit.

And while young Wolfie wasn't prowling the stage quite like a seasoned veteran, his bass playing was nothing short of impressive, and he even managed to ably fill in the high notes on backing vocals once provided by Anthony.

Only sluggish "I'll Wait" and "Little Dreamer" slowed the pace of the otherwise high-energy hit parade, and the obligatory drum and guitar solo segments were a little too, well, obligatory this time. But by the time the band showered the crowd with confetti during the only encore, 1984's "Jump," the hiccups had been forgotten.

Show opener Ky-Mani Marley set an overall high standard for the night, too, melding traditional reggae bob-and-weave hooks with smart pop sensibilities in a too-short set that left many wanting to hear more.

But what mattered most of all was that fans finally got their wish. In a break during "Hot for Teacher" when Roth roared, "Hey, I heard ya missed us - we're back!" the crowd erupted in the affirmative.

Pessimists and purists may still argue whether it's the "real" Van Halen, but for fans, none of that mattered. Their patience finally paid off.

• jharp84
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

Got it bad!

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
      Veteran
      • Apr 2004

I'm hot for teacher!

1 day bitches!!!!!
      http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
      Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
      Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

"Pessimists and purists may still argue whether it's the "real" Van Halen, but for fans, none of that mattered. Their patience finally paid off."

That sums it all up rather nicely ! Great review

I'm pissed that Sammy's missus wont be banging the E string,
        but I know that particular emotion will diminish in approximately
        30 milliseconds when the lights come on, and Van Halen
        hits the first chord !!
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I feel the same way, Mark...

That still doesn't diminish how much i'd like to see Mike up there...

Comment

• jharp84
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

I'd been to the edge! Got no time to FUCK AROUND! MET ALOT FRIENDS HERE BABY! GOTTA SHARE THE WEALTH! YOU CAN GO SPIT THE SHIT BABY!!

Comment

• Dan
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Another Great Review.
              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Hummarstra
                Commando
                • Feb 2004

Looks like this guy doesn't care for "I'll Wait" either. They should replace it with "Hear About It Later." Oh yeah.

Comment

• BALLYJUNKIE
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Nov 2004

i agree ,i"ll wait isnt a bad song ,but from what iver heard ,it doesnt cut it live ,i kinds of drags on .... hear about it later would go over much better ,youve got to keep the crowd on thier feet ..... come guys change the set list ,just a little !!!

Comment

• SATAN BUSH
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2004

Re: Van Halen reunion really got 'em!

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    October 22, 2007

it's missing none of the fiery intensity that first propelled the group to stardom in the late '70s and early' 80s

Um, this is EXACTLY what the "new" Van Halen IS missing....the energy, the improvisation, "fiery intensity," that impulsive carefree wreckless-abandon attitude...if there is ONE MAJOR difference between the "new" Van Halen and the Van Halen of the late '70's and early '80's, it absolutely IS that elusive endless energy and completely engaging onstage personality. Watching Van Halen in the '70's and '80's is like a non-stop block party. Watching their new clips at times is like watching a bingo party at the home. That non-stop high energy rollercoaster atmosphere, from the stage set to Dave's "I'll just stand here" antics, is completely the opposite of the "old" Van Halen.

Anyone who can't see that is blind.

This reviewer is grossly guilty of hyperbole. He blatantly grasps for straws, and flat-out stating that they are "missing none of the fiery intensity that first propelled the group" is absolutely laughably incompetent.
                    Last edited by SATAN BUSH; 10-23-2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• SATAN BUSH
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2004

Re: Van Halen reunion really got 'em!

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      October 22, 2007

his bass playing was nothing short of impressive, and he even managed to ably fill in the high notes on backing vocals once provided by Anthony.

Um, yeah. Notice the reviewer didn't mention the "enhancements" and the pre-recorded tracks that make Wolfgang "impressive" or his ability to "ably fill in the high notes on backing vocals" being somewhat less than reality...ANYONE would be able to "ably" mimic anything such as vocals when they are piped in.

I hope the reviewer convinced himself.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                        Veteran
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SATAN BUSH
                        Um, yeah. Notice the reviewer didn't mention the "enhancements" and the pre-recorded tracks that make Wolfgang "impressive" or his ability to "ably fill in the high notes on backing vocals" being somewhat less than reality...ANYONE would be able to "ably" mimic anything such as vocals when they are piped in.

Spoken like a tick with it's head burrowed into the nutsack of the bass player which, incidentally is receiving a "reach around" from Spammy at this very moment...
                        I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• SATAN BUSH
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2004

Can't change facts.

And, of course, like clockwork, another fanboi sheep has to respond with yet another "gay" referenced response. Surprise, surprise!

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

I wonder when the negative reviews are going to start coming....lol...

Is it too early to call this tour a success?

(touch wood: I don't want to jinx it )
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• diamondD
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Van Halen reunion really got 'em!

Originally posted by SATAN BUSH

You seem convinced anyone gives a shit about this crap.

You'll never convince me I didn't have a great time in Charlotte. And I'm gonna have it again this Friday in Kansas City. Have fun crying.
                              Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Working...