PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Issues W/ Frankenstrats??

steve
10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I am a mediocre guitar player at best (OK, make that piss poor), but it's apparent that Eddie's guitar goes out of wack at the end of Little guitars here:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKVIOpEK9Zk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKVIOpEK9Zk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dave sounds GREAT, but the guitar at the end is nausiating and you can hear certain strings went out...seems like this has happened many times.

Should Ed ditch the Frankies and stick with the Peavy WG (or whatever other guitars he is using, which sound FANTASTIC (ie: on I'm the one, etc)) ??

hain23x
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
if that's from the Rosemont show, there's a moment in there where he's looking over at the tech with this half smile of "i'm going to kill you"

ace diamond
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
wrong forum........move to gear street.

Diamondjimi
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
The neck most likely shifted during one of his jumps.....

steve
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
This isn't a gear street thread, IMHO. This is just a layman's "damn...the Frankie goes out of tune every time Ed jumps" thread. methinks it shoudl stay where guitar-dummies like me will actually read it.

ace diamond
10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
ok.....now that you put it that way.......cheers steve!

jhale667
10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
The neck most likely shifted during one of his jumps.....

Bingo. ;)

Considering (for the uninitated)since the other guitars he's playing have the exact same bridge system installed, it's not "the Frankenstrats" - one is no more or less vulnerable to shifts than the other.

And the new WGs are Fenders.

jhale667
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Totally just pushed this thread over the "Gear Street" cliff, huh? :lol:
Oopsie! :rolleyes:

naturochem
10-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
Bingo. ;)

Considering (for the uninitated)since the other guitars he's playing have the exact same bridge system installed, it's not "the Frankenstrats" - one is no more or less vulnerable to shifts than the other.

And the new WGs are Fenders.
Totally just pushed this thread over the "Gear Street" cliff, huh?
Well, since we've jumped...

I'm not near the gear-head I used to be, & thus haven't followed all of Ed's guitar detail like I used to....but it does seem, from the few "off" clip's I've caught, that the Frankie's seem a bit more unstable than the WG's(?)

Could this be attributable to a neck/truss rod issue w/ the Frankie's, in lieu of a bridge problem which would be evident in both? Or is it just coincidence that the Frank's seem to be more problematic thus far??

Diamondjimi
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by naturochem
but it does seem, from the few "off" clip's I've caught, that the Frankie's seem a bit more unstable than the WG's(?)

Could this be attributable to a neck/truss rod issue w/ the Frankie's, in lieu of a bridge problem which would be evident in both? Or is it just coincidence that the Frank's seem to be more problematic thus far??

The Frankie he uses for Little Guitars is a 3/4 scale version. Being a smaller guitar and having a bolt on neck+Floyd Rose coupled with the fact that the chords he's playing are in the first position (when jumping up and down) is a stong formula for a neck to shift.

Back on the Diver Down tour he used a mini Les Paul with a set neck and no Floyd. No issues from jumping.

I personally hate seeing him play WG models onstage with Dave.

Anything but those ugly fuckers!

And yeah , ship this fucker to Gear Street...........

Diamondjimi
10-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by steve
This isn't a gear street thread, IMHO. This is just a layman's "damn...the Frankie goes out of tune every time Ed jumps" thread. methinks it shoudl stay where guitar-dummies like me will actually read it.

Well how 'bout we have someone call you when it gets there !:rolleyes:

jhale667
10-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi

Back on the Diver Down tour he used a mini Les Paul with a set neck and no Floyd. No issues from jumping.

Exactly. What happened to the "little" guitar in that pic from his guitar rack at rehearsals? :confused:

I personally hate seeing him play WG models onstage with Dave.

Anything but those ugly fuckers!

And yeah , ship this fucker to Gear Street...........

Same here. That body style (apart from my personal distaste for it) reminds me of the Spam days...just does. :rolleyes:
I think of Eddie playing CVH tunes, I wanna see him playing a Strat body...:D

jhale667
10-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by naturochem
Well, since we've jumped...

....but it does seem, from the few "off" clip's I've caught, that the Frankie's seem a bit more unstable than the WG's(?)

Theoretically, they're all bolt-on necked instruments with Floyd Rose bridges. Assuming the necks are all 4-bolt assemblies, they should all be equally stable.

Who's his new tech, anyway?

And oh yeah, is it 100% certainty that the neck on the mini-LP was set?
I've seen many a mini-bolt-on neck version, but never a set neck one.
Also the mini LP had a trapeze-style bridge, not a locking trem.
Just something else to consider...

naturochem
10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Ya' know, I saw the '82 DD tour two times (back-to-back in SF), & although I wouldn't give odd's, I'd swear that mini-Paul also had a bolt-on...

Admittidly though, those were some HIGHLY fucking unstable times....

ELVIS
10-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by steve

Dave sounds GREAT, but the guitar at the end is nausiating

Dave sounds about as bad as the guitar on that version...

Diamondjimi
10-25-2007, 01:32 AM
And oh yeah, is it 100% certainty that the neck on the mini-LP was set?

Definitely !;)

http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/modules/PNphpBB2/files/eddie_-_little_guitars_8_184.jpg

jhale667
10-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Sure looks that way from that photo..after I enlarged it a bit. ;)
Dammit, now I have to start watching boots of original-era "Little Guitars" clips to scan for a back shot....:rolleyes:

I must know! :lol:

Diamondjimi
10-25-2007, 02:10 AM
;)

:D

ELVIS
10-25-2007, 02:39 AM
Well...

I think it's all just attributable to Edward still being a bit rusty and maybe a little unfamiliar with the old Frankie...

Either that or he's still hittin' the sauce...:(

:elvis:

naturochem
10-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Sure looks that way from that photo..after I enlarged it a bit. ;)
Dammit, now I have to start watching boots of original-era "Little Guitars" clips to scan for a back shot....:rolleyes:

I must know! :lol:
Not a 'back shot', but it appears that the effects of illicit pharmaceuticals on the memory are far more damaging than I anticipated... (I know I remember seein' a neck plate on that little fucker..)

http://www.vhvault.com/mr5150/Drunken-Little-Guitar-800.jpg

letsrock
10-25-2007, 04:37 AM
First off if the neck shifted then someone needs a screwdriver.
second Ed does not use Frankie on little Guitars.
He uses a little guitar painted like Frankie.
SIZE MATTERS.

And smaller guitars always have tuning issues.

naturochem
10-25-2007, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by letsrock
second Ed does not use Frankie on little Guitars.
He uses a little guitar painted like Frankie.
SIZE MATTERS.

And smaller guitars always have tuning issues.
Thanks for the edification, Einstein....
You ever bother to read any of the fucking posts prior to offering such words of wisdom??

letsrock
10-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Why bother. Stupid thread started anyway.

jhale667
10-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Try a little experiment...tighten down your neck screws as tight as you can.
Now swing your guitar around the room by the headstock for a sec.
Out of tune, huh? But thanks for playing...:D

dave_is_vh
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
It is amazing that problems like this still occur. The locking tremlo was invented what 30 years ago?

jhale667
10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
It is amazing that problems like this still occur. The locking tremlo was invented what 30 years ago?

Yes, and again, if set up correctly, they (real ones, not licensed crap) work perfectly.
They are not, however, immune to neck shifts, due to sudden temperature variations, violence, whatever...:rolleyes:

indeedido
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
That looks like one of guitars they auction off on ebay, use once and sell. Perhaps the tech didn't lock the nut down. Not an everyday driver if you know what I mean

Terry
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Dave is clearly struggling for the high note during the chorus...

Almost sounds like Ed broke a string before the outro, but the neck shift sounds pretty viable, too.

But you know what? In spite of this AND that sped-up Jump synth cue, the youtubes I've seen display the band playing FAR better than I thought they would...or even COULD at this point.

Little Lamont
10-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Maybe Chip don't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

eddie78
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
The original "little guitar" never went outta tune!

Call Dave Petschulet, Ed. He'll build ya another.

Little Lamont
10-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Dave sounds about as bad as the guitar on that version...

Sounds like you're losing the faith, bro.

naturochem
10-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
Sounds like you're losing the faith, bro.
Much as it pains me to, I've got to side with E here...
HOWEVER, the faith ain't never been stronger!!!

Even though pitch problems abound....admittedly, LG ain't a walk in the park for Dave these days...and regardless, I'm still WAY happy the song is included in the set!!!

letsrock
10-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Try a little experiment...tighten down your neck screws as tight as you can.
Now swing your guitar around the room by the headstock for a sec.
Out of tune, huh? But thanks for playing...:D

My guitars arent toys or trash.
You can play with yours like that all you want.
But thanks for the support.

letsrock
10-26-2007, 06:26 AM
And just to humor you. my BC Rich didnt.

Diamondjimi
10-26-2007, 12:41 PM
ROKK ON!

http://www.kosakuworld.com/guitar/bcrich-warlock-snake.jpg

:lol:

eddie78
10-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Who is this guy?
Mick Mars?

jhale667
10-26-2007, 05:18 PM