PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen is a pop band

indeedido
10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I was watching the new AC/DC Plug me in dvd yesterday, and in one of the interview clips they were playing the Castle Donnington festival in England in 1984. They asked him if it was a competition with Van Halen since both were big bands. He said no, not really. Van Halen is mroe of a pop band, and we're a rock and roll band. Th ey then cut to a 3 second clip of Dave saying what sounded like it was a little bit of a competition thing.

WTF?????? Pop band???

FORD
10-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Well...... Jump certainly wasn't a rock song.

Diamondjimi
10-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Van Halen IS Rock and Roll.

No disrespect to DC , but they've been making the same album for 30 fuckin years. But in the same breath ,I would'nt want them to change.

TVGUY
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I've seen that clip too.. Pissed me off a bit also but you have to realize that the interviewer was pushing those kind of questions at them to get some sort of sound byte feud going. That being said, you have to admit that Jump was a pop song for the most part. But any Van Halen fan will tell you that 99% of the songs were kick you in the balls rock'n roll hits... Then we got Van Hagar and it was all down hill from there.

Shaun Ponsonby
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
No...what he said was

"Van Halen are more of a pop band COMPARED TO US"

He's right...I can imagine more CVH songs on the radio than I can AC/DC songs...CVH's hooks are catchier..."Jump", "I'll Wait", "Dance The Night Away"?

Not a pop band, but certainly more so than AC/DC.

binnie
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
No...what he said was

He's right...I can imagine more CVH songs on the radio than I can AC/DC songs...CVH's hooks are catchier..."Jump", "I'll Wait", "Dance The Night Away"?

Not a pop band, but certainly more so than AC/DC.

Yup, that makes sense. It's all relative...

chi-town324
10-25-2007, 06:25 PM
" Shook me all night long " is not a pop song?....huh

Padre Atilio
10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
old story but here ya go:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufo0mLPEm38&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ufo0mLPEm38&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

and angus is a dork ;)

eddie78
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Angus must have been psychic, seeing the Hagar years on the horizon.

Plug me in kicks ass, btw.
DC never pedaled shit like "Love walks in."

ThrillsNSpills
10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
The Castle Donnington 84 video of Hot for Teacher is mindblowing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-xqhWFtOQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-xqhWFtOQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

jharp84
10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
"ROCK AND ROLL IS A CONTACT SPORT" !!!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by diamondjimi
Van Halen IS Rock and Roll.

No disrespect to DC , but they've been making the same album for 30 fuckin years. But in the same breath ,I would'nt want them to change.

NAILED IT!! 1st "Rothie" goes to DJ!!! :D

VanHalener
10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
What are you doing reading this.

Watch that video again.

Got it bad

Got it bad

Got it bad

Holy Freakin' Kimchee listen to Eddie shred that lettuce, man!

Sing it Dave
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-xqhWFtOQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_G-xqhWFtOQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yeah right, a pop band!http://i4.tinypic.com/4i1nokp.png

NATEDOG001976
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry Angus "Anus" but you can't hold a candle to Eddie or VH!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Disagree again! Comparing joints to coke! 2 diiferent entities/atmosphere/attitude! Angus KICKS ASS! But EDWARD IS THE KING!

eddie78
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Ed always gave Angus & DC props, too.
He loves Bon Scott & he always says Angus is a very underated blues/rock player.
He even listed "Down Payment Blues" as one of his favorite tunes in the Guitar World 60 minute section.
Angus is great, but he & Mal seem a bit stuck on the purity of rock 'n roll. I guess no fingertapping is allowed!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by eddie78
Ed always gave Angus & DC props, too.
He loves Bon Scott & he always says Angus is a very underated blues/rock player.
He even listed "Down Payment Blues" as one of his favorite tunes in the Guitar World 60 minute section.
Angus is great, but he & Mal seem a bit stuck on the purity of rock 'n roll. I guess no fingertapping is allowed!

You know your shit! :cool: They are the old school chuck berry goes metal! Et., I hope this last "new" album will go out with a "BANG"!!

Freewheelin
10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I dont know about the rest of you but for me Van Halen epitomized the best raunchy hard rock that the US had to offer. Brian Johnson lives here in my town and my old guitarist actually got to jam with him at open mike night at a local watering hole. He is a very nice guy but wtf does he know anyway ? They been living on 3 chords for a long time , I mean dont get me wrong I love the band tho I prefer the Bon Scott records .

jharp84
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
BON WAS UN-REPLACEABLE! But that would mean no more DOWN/DIRTY RIFFS from DOWN UNDER! No one can deny "Back in Black"! Too bad radio FUCKED up the GAME with that one!

eddie78
10-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by jharp84
You know your shit! :cool: They are the old school chuck berry goes metal! Et., I hope this last "new" album will go out with a "BANG"!!

I hope so, brother.

I wonder why the '78 Glascow footage was never released as a whole DVD, as it's shown on part of Plug me in.
That particular performance defined one of the greatest live records ever (If you want blood).
I had no idea they filmed it as well, until i saw this.

chi-town324
10-25-2007, 09:01 PM
didnt Eddie say he turned Wolfie on to AC/DC at the press conference?

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by chi-town324
didnt Eddie say he turned Wolfie on to AC/DC at the press conference?

Good Ears Homie! ;)

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I hope so, brother.

I wonder why the '78 Glascow footage was never released as a whole DVD, as it's shown on part of Plug me in.
That particular performance defined one of the greatest live records ever (If you want blood).
I had no idea they filmed it as well, until i saw this.

That is my fave live album! Back in 1980/1981 Me and my Bud used to sit in my back porch fall/winter wearin coats, each with our own Fat Joint , play If you want blood( I used to picture the band jammin in my head on stage! And then we had to play back in black/highway! But the FUCKIN FAVE was "IF YOU WANT BLOOD"! Why they did not release this full show is beyond me! :mad:

Terry
10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
The Castle Donnington 84 video of Hot for Teacher is mindblowing.

That WAS a great performance, no doubt.

eddie78
10-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Powerage, If you want blood, back in black...

Those records are timeless, man.
I started with ACDC & Aero, then i was full on VH.
VH is far more complex, yet ACDC just nails the simplicity & balls of hard rock. It's in Malcom's right hand, and Angus bends.
The way Bon delivered those lyrics with humor & intelligence.

The early performance on 'Plug me in' of (it's a) long way to the top, is classic Bon, just those facial expressions.
I also loved the blonde in green, dead center, dancing behind them.
Hot mid 70's tart!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Powerage, If you want blood, back in black...

Those records are timeless, man.

I also loved the blonde in green, dead center, dancing behind them.
Hot mid 70's tart!

Yes! Yes! Be careful! That was me MUM!! ;)

Terry
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I'll buy into the belief that Van Halen was more pop oriented than AC/DC as a whole. Van Halen was certainly more diverse than AC?DC, as well (am talking strictly CVH here, as Van Hagar, with a FEW exceptions had two modes: pop-forty schmaltz and lumbering, second rate hard rock - not a ton of diversity).

With AC/DC, I prefer the Bon stuff, but agreed there is no denying that Back In Black is a monster fucking album. For Those About To Rock is a worthy follow up. By the time Flick Of The Switch rolled around, the band began sinking into self-parody; yes, there were a few decent tracks to be found from Fly On The Wall up to and including The Razor's Edge, but after the latter album I had no more use for their output.

vh rides again
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
eddie once refered to angus as the 3 chord wonder, he has no respect for him.

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Terry
[B)
With AC/DC, I prefer the Bon stuff, but agreed there is no denying that Back In Black is a monster fucking album. For Those About To Rock is a worthy follow up. By the time Flick Of The Switch rolled around, the band began sinking into self-parody; yes, there were a few decent tracks to be found from Fly On The Wall up to and including The Razor's Edge, but after the latter album I had no more use for their output. [/B]

Exactly! Flick SUCKED! 2 words! Shit Sandwich! I think they were attempting to get back to the sound of the "old" Vanda Young produced albums! No Bon Scott! No Going back?? I also enjoyed "Fly on the Wall" Have a rare 2cd fly on the wall soundboard! Let m know! Anyone! AND! What really SUX! They have a 3/4 length Flick show on the bonus dvd! Fly on the wall show would have been perfect! :rolleyes:

Terry
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Exactly! Flick SUCKED! 2 words! Shit Sandwich! I think they were attempting to get back to the sound of the "old" Vanda Young produced albums! No Bon Scott! No Going back?? I also enjoyed "Fly on the Wall" Have a rare 2cd fly on the wall soundboard! Let m know! Anyone! AND! What really SUX! They have a 3/4 length Flick show on the bonus dvd! Fly on the wall show would have been perfect! :rolleyes:

Dunno about Flick sucking so much as it was just rehashing the first two Brian albums...too much of a been there-heard it done before (and better) feel. Think it was actually the Who Made Who album and title track single that the band started to run short of creative juice for me...but shit, they put out a lot of decent material from 1974 to 1991 (even if their heyday was from about 1976 to 1982) - that's just shy of two decades of decent output overall...most bands are lucky if they have HALF as many years of coming up with REALLY PRODUCTIVE material (as opposed to, say, the Strolling Bones, who haven't had a decent start-to-finish record in OVER a quarter century).

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
AMEN! I was a little too harsh on flick maybe! I did enjoy Stones Steel Wheels though nothing close to the masterpieces!

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM

JUICE.......i want a copy of that soundboard.
i liked that one. the one i didn't care for was fly on the wall.

from flick of the switch i liked rising power, as well as the title track.
who made who was a cool movie soundtrack for steven king's maximum overdrive film.
fly on the wall just plain sucked although sink the pink was ok.

blow up your video was a really good record.

nonetheless, i still prefer the bon scott albums.

eddie78
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree with both Harp & Terry here.

Having said that, i was one of the very few that liked "Flick."
I got into stuff like 'Landslide' and 'Bedlam in Belgium.'
I even liked 'Guns for hire.'
That was it for me though, regarding AC/DC.

After that i was stuck in a serious metallica, mercyful fate phase.

Later i got way back into the classic stuff, though.

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Now your talkin Ace's language! Mercyfull Fate's Melissa - CLASSIC!

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
hell yeah!!!!!!!

hey, i have a soundboard of metallica with dave mustaine from 1982 in san francisco.............wanna trade juice?

jharp84
10-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Done Deal! Let's stick with the new live VH's first as I am so behind I have about 10-15 concerts to burn and get out in the mail!

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
you got it,brother!

cMb
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
AC/DC was touring for Flick Of The Switch in 1984.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M047J7AZL._AA240_.jpg http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/78/0c/649d729fd7a0f622216dd010._AA240_.L.jpg

Angus was just speaking the truth for that particular time. Hell, this was right after Diver Down, too...

Flick Of The Switch is prolly their most under-rated album, along with For Those About To Rock...

Angus may not have 're-invented' the way guitar was played, but he sure does sound good when he's playin' :cool:

Cmon, Terry! Give Stiff Upper Lip another spin.

Safe In NY City, Cant Stand Still, Satellite Blues, Hold Me Back... There is some great songs on that album!

eddie78
10-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Yes!!!

Melissa is a masterpiece (into the coven, Evil, Satan's fall, etc.)
That one hooked me big time.

As much as i loved the hardcore metal stuff, i still secretly listened to Ratt & Dokken for the guitar solos!

Terry
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
AMEN! I was a little too harsh on flick maybe! I did enjoy Stones Steel Wheels though nothing close to the masterpieces!

Bought Steel Wheels at the time, mostly because I was going to see one of the shows in 1989 (when many, myself included, thought it would be the last Stones tour, and just the fact that Mick and Keef were getting back together AT ALL after several years of slinging shit at each other in the press was something akin to Roth and Eddie sharing the stage again).

While I liked the album as a whole back then, it really hasn't stood the test of time well. I still enjoy Terrifying, Slipping Away and Almost Hear You Sigh - and Rock In A Hard Place is solid enough - the rest of the album has no resonance to me these days.

Flick isn't terrible, but it's far from the best DC ever did - maybe slightly above average.

eddie78
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Angus is amazing because he can play solos that actually make sense, while completely thrashing all over the stage.
He is just manic!
It;s funny with this new DVD set because by the end of disc 2, he's sort of politely stamping his feet & bobbing his head a bit.
He still sounds great, though!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Yes!!!

Melissa is a masterpiece (into the coven, Evil, Satan's fall, etc.)
That one hooked me big time.

As much as i loved the hardcore metal stuff, i still secretly listened to Ratt & Dokken for the guitar solos!

I love Early Ratt and Dokken! :guitar:

jharp84
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Bought Steel Wheels at the time, mostly because I was going to see one of the shows in 1989 (when many, myself included, thought it would be the last Stones tour, and just the fact that Mick and Keef were getting back together AT ALL after several years of slinging shit at each other in the press was something akin to Roth and Eddie sharing the stage again).

While I liked the album as a whole back then, it really hasn't stood the test of time well. I still enjoy Terrifying, Slipping Away and Almost Hear You Sigh - and Rock In A Hard Place is solid enough - the rest of the album has no resonance to me these days.

Flick isn't terrible, but it's far from the best DC ever did - maybe slightly above average.

The "Steel Wheels" tour , in my opinion! Best to see Since 1970's! At least we caught it!

Little Lamont
10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Isn't pop just short for popular music?
Who's more popular than Van Halen right now, motherfuckers!

jharp84
10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
Isn't pop just short for popular music?
Who's more popular than Van Halen right now, motherfuckers!

Double L! Good job gettin us back to business here! :baaa:

ace diamond
10-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Double L! Good job gettin us back to business here! :baaa:
amen brother!

ELVIS
10-26-2007, 12:39 AM

That's exactly right...

Much in the same way The Jimi Hendrix Experience was a pop band...

You can be heavy, hard rock and pop at the same time...

:elvis:

naturochem
10-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Fuckin-A right they are!

VH is once again the POP band it once was!!!

With Dave back, I'm sure somebody's sister is getting popped.... :D

jharp84
10-26-2007, 04:49 AM
I hope I am not goin to jail! Not for that! At least! TELL THE JUDGE 22 YEARS BRO-YID! DIG!

letsrock
10-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by cMb

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M047J7AZL._AA240_.jpg http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/78/0c/649d729fd7a0f622216dd010._AA240_.L.jpg

Angus was just speaking the truth for that particular time. Hell, this was right after Diver Down, too...

Flick Of The Switch is prolly their most under-rated album, along with For Those About To Rock...

Angus may not have 're-invented' the way guitar was played, but he sure does sound good when he's playin' :cool:

Safe In NY City, Cant Stand Still, Satellite Blues, Hold Me Back... There is some great songs on that album!

Fly on the Wall?????

thome
10-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I allways called VH -BIG ROCK -because the sound, the show and the writting were huge.

Not like arena............ big big like Alex's drumm kick Out in your face .

Nothing really to compare it to.

It stands alone.

Not that they didn't throw a swing, hip twisting in to the fray.

They really allways transfered rite on it, from the studio to the stage(live).

Even subtle nuances riding along side.

Unafraid to twist it yet, never deviate the basic, from what brung ya.

It's a rock show.

I wouldn't say POP.

Totally diff beat.

Mutha On!

Figs
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I have to admit, AC/DC did a better job of choosing a replacement singer.....

Terry
10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by cMb

Twice was enough. Can't bother with replaying it in hopes something will grow on me. AC/DC tunes, for me, are easy to judge BECAUSE of their very simplicity; either I like 'em or I don't.

Anyone digs Stiff Upper Lip, god bless. Not gonna try and shoot someone down because of it, or get into a "you're not a true AC/DC fan if you don't lap up every single note they ever recorded" bunch of bullshit. Can only say what works for me, and Stiff Upper Lip just plain don't.

ace diamond
10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Twice was enough. Can't bother with replaying it in hopes something will grow on me. AC/DC tunes, for me, are easy to judge BECAUSE of their very simplicity; either I like 'em or I don't.

Anyone digs Stiff Upper Lip, god bless. Not gonna try and shoot someone down because of it, or get into a "you're not a true AC/DC fan if you don't lap up every single note they ever recorded" bunch of bullshit. Can only say what works for me, and Stiff Upper Lip just plain don't.

YOU HAVE A FAIR AND VALID POINT. I AM ONE OF THE BIGGEST KISS FANS THERE IS, AND I WILL STILL TELL ANYONE THAT ASKS ME WHAT SONGS/ALBUM I LIKE AND WHAT ONES I THINK ARE TOTALLY SHIT.

chi-town324
10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Done Deal! Let's stick with the new live VH's first as I am so behind I have about 10-15 concerts to burn and get out in the mail! Its great quality ....trust me on that...still listening to it a week later:D

Steve Savicki
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Funny, I compared AC to EVH on the old DLR Army domain. Guess DC are also pop as well... both are oldies since some say the 80's are... and by that remark, I'm glad to listen to oldies that today's newest "hits."

LMAO, have a good weekend!

blueturk
10-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's exactly right...

Much in the same way The Jimi Hendrix Experience was a pop band...

You can be heavy, hard rock and pop at the same time...

:elvis:

Much in the same way you can be a Christian and a false idol worshipping pedophile at the same time?

DirtyDeeds
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
What I have found is that any AC/DC album featuring Phil Rudd on drums is good. I don't think it's really the drums that make it good or not... it's just a coincidence that the ones with Phil are the best. Simon Wright's drumming was close enough to Phil's that it didn't make a huge difference, but those albums sucked except for a few cuts. If I'm not mistaken, Fly on the Wall was self-produced, and they really learned their lesson that they can't produce. Chris Slade was cool. Good drummer, nice guy, shiny head... just not the right fit for AC/DC. I HATED how he played certain classic songs live, especially Whole Lotta Rosie and For Those About to Rock. They were WAY too fast. Too fast that it was impossible for Brian to sing them... he HAD to talk through them like a teenage girl... too fast and incomprehensible.

When Phil Rudd came back, it all got better again. I LOVE Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip. Ballbreaker is more of the classic AC/DC sound, but still somehow had a more modern feel, but Stiff Upper Lip was more bluesy, completely back-to-basics, but NEW for what AC/DC had done. I really think that one didn't sound like the other AC/DC albums, but still had the AC/DC feel. I quite enjoy it.

Terry
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ace diamond
YOU HAVE A FAIR AND VALID POINT. I AM ONE OF THE BIGGEST KISS FANS THERE IS, AND I WILL STILL TELL ANYONE THAT ASKS ME WHAT SONGS/ALBUM I LIKE AND WHAT ONES I THINK ARE TOTALLY SHIT.

I'll tell ya (and this may seem like sacrelidge to some) straight up that there are several CVH tunes and tracks that I'm not too fond of (all of which are found sprinkled throughout DD and 1984), either...CVH were one of those rare bands where even the tunes I wasn't crazy about had something going for them (be it a lyric or guitar part).

franksters
10-27-2007, 10:50 AM
if VH is the ''moto'' or would be the perfect example of how a pop band should be I would be glad! no more of these fuckin pop tart artist would be around, and the radio would sound much better...

chi-town324
10-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I'll tell ya (and this may seem like sacrelidge to some) straight up that there are several CVH tunes and tracks that I'm not too fond of (all of which are found sprinkled throughout DD and 1984), either...CVH were one of those rare bands where even the tunes I wasn't crazy about had something going for them (be it a lyric or guitar part). great point Terry

eddie78
10-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I think some of the magic was gone on 1984.
The direction towords a more radio friendly sound had been set.
Drop Dead Legs seems like it swaggers half-convincingly, unlike a 'Sinner's swing!'
'Top Jimmy' usually ends up wearing out it's welcome by the second verse.
The opening limp dick sucker punch of 1984 & Jump, always irritated me, as 'Hot for teacher' would have presented a far better introduction.
No complaints with the rest, though, especially the mind-blowing 'Girl gone Bad.'

Double D or Diverdown is more VH to me than the glossy 84.
Little guitars, Hang em high, full bug, secrets, intruder, cathedral, Goodtimes gone...all of them chesnuts in their coked-up glory.

VHI-FW represent the most potent of classic VH, though.
In my opinion, anyway.

Terry
10-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I think some of the magic was gone on 1984.
The direction towords a more radio friendly sound had been set.
Drop Dead Legs seems like it swaggers half-convincingly, unlike a 'Sinner's swing!'
'Top Jimmy' usually ends up wearing out it's welcome by the second verse.
The opening limp dick sucker punch of 1984 & Jump, always irritated me, as 'Hot for teacher' would have presented a far better introduction.
No complaints with the rest, though, especially the mind-blowing 'Girl gone Bad.'

Double D or Diverdown is more VH to me than the glossy 84.
Little guitars, Hang em high, full bug, secrets, intruder, cathedral, Goodtimes gone...all of them chesnuts in their coked-up glory.

VHI-FW represent the most potent of classic VH, though.
In my opinion, anyway.

When I listen to the rest of the 6-pack, it feels like the band was all in the same room playing when the tunes were recorded. Regardless of the truth of that, that's the vibe I get. 1984 didn't really give me that feel at all. Hell, two of my fave tracks on that album, Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain, have pretty sparse contributions from Roth in terms of what ended up on tape; couple of quick verses and choruses, followed by long, instrumental sections. The title track 1984 always worked better live. Agreed it and Jump were a pretty meek way to open the record. Hot For Teacher is probably the standout for me, although I've always dug Drop Dead Legs and the whole second side (save I'll Wait, which I just didn't like much). I still can't decide if I actually like Top Jimmy or not to this day.

Diver Down. Well, the best stuff (Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars and The Full Bug) I put right up there with the best in CVH's arsenal. Where Have All The Good Times Gone? just really didn't hit it out of the park for me. Pretty Woman and Dancing In The Streets seem like sincere novelty tracks. I actually like Big Bad Bill.

chi-town324
10-28-2007, 11:00 AM
House of pain is one of the old originals from the early 70's that Alex pushed to have on 1984...no one else wanted it on the album

chi-town324
10-28-2007, 11:01 AM
great tune though..

Shaun Ponsonby
10-28-2007, 12:15 PM
I actually like Big Bad Bill.

So do I...Classic Dave showing some humour.

Always like it when Dave strips stuff down..."Damn Good"..."Black Sand"...etc...

Anonymous
10-28-2007, 12:40 PM

I make "Stiff Upper Lip" to be Brian Johnson's "Powerage".

It's just that good.

Cheers! :bottle:

Anonymous
10-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Anyways, it seemed to me that the interviewer was tryng hard to get a rivalry going but neither band seemed very interested in it.

It was stupid. Dave & Angus - class acts. Brian Johnoson was really kewl too. Hell, even Al was pleasant to listen to.

The interviewer was just a wanker. then again, he probably was paid to stir up the rivalry.

Still a wanker.

Terry
10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Anyways, it seemed to me that the interviewer was tryng hard to get a rivalry going but neither band seemed very interested in it.

It was stupid. Dave & Angus - class acts. Brian Johnoson was really kewl too. Hell, even Al was pleasant to listen to.

The interviewer was just a wanker. then again, he probably was paid to stir up the rivalry.

Still a wanker.

That class act extends to how the rest of AC/DC and their new singer, Brian, never shied away from, talked trash about or pretended that the previous incarnation of the band (and Bon Scott) never existed.

An attitude that stood them well...although releasing a killer album such as Back and Black didn't hurt, either.

By contrast, the Van Halens and Hagar trashed their former lead singer, basically inferred that the new music was far superior than anything the band did up to that point, and released a weak album.

scottydabodi
10-28-2007, 04:30 PM
NEWSFLASH: Angus Young can say whatever the hell he wants and it will still rock. I cannot disagree with him for fear that he might smite me down, or rock me into OBLIVION.

naturochem
10-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I actually like Big Bad Bill.]

So do I...Classic Dave showing some humour.

Always thought the song was cool too -- I think the novelty of Ed's dad, Jan playing clarinet added something "extra" as well...

lafours
10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
It's really hard to ever disagree with AC/DC...pure rock and roll in it's simplest rawest, most swinging form! I have way more respect for the "dc" than Vh...

And DLR proboboly has more pop influence than alot of hard rock singers...he probobly wouldnt deny it.. ( pop , not top 40 bubblegum)

just listen to Crazy From the Heat if you want to see where Dave comes from...

Rat Salade
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
meh, no wonder i don't care for ac/dc......

scottydabodi
10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Rat Salade
meh, no wonder i don't care for ac/dc......

David Lee Roth is Van Halen,
everyone else in that band is just Rat Salade.....

jharp84
10-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Wha'''D I miss here?? GODDAMN!

Polk High
10-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Well all i know is that girls don't like AC/DC beyond you shook me all right long whereas many girls I know like several VH songs.

So here is the verdict:
VH Rock and Roll Band w/ some several pop/rock songs

AC/DC: Rock and Roll Band and a one hit wonder pop rock band.

Why does pop have such a bad connotation, doesn't it mean popular music? Meaning that many many people like it and recognize it. Yes VH has several songs that the casual fan of music will recognize from the first note and AC/Dc has 1 song like that.

VH 5 x better then AC/DC if you ask me.

jharp84
10-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Polk High
Well all i know is that girls don't like AC/DC beyond you shook me all right long whereas many girls I know like several VH songs.

So here is the verdict:
VH Rock and Roll Band w/ some several pop/rock songs

AC/DC: Rock and Roll Band and a one hit wonder pop rock band.

Why does pop have such a bad connotation, doesn't it mean popular music? Meaning that many many people like it and recognize it. Yes VH has several songs that the casual fan of music will recognize from the first note and AC/Dc has 1 song like that.

VH 5 x better then AC/DC if you ask me.

OK! Right on first count! VH - Numero FUCKIN UNO!

Number 2: GET ON YOUR FUCKIN KNEES! BITCH! :blow:

DirtyDeeds
10-30-2007, 07:23 AM
AC/DC in that case has several pop songs.

You Shook Me All Night Long
Hells Bells
Back in Black
Highway to Hell

at the least.

Probably For Those About to Rock, as well. Possibly Thunderstruck.

scottydabodi
10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Polk High
Well all i know is that girls don't like AC/DC beyond you shook me all right long...

You're hangin with the WRONG CHICKS, my friend...