PDA

View Full Version : Germanium, Tubes, and LSD

Nitro Express
10-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Paul McCartney reciently said he liked the old analog equipment of the 60's and early 70's better than today's digital wonders because the old stuff was in sir Paul's own words was "More Fuckupable".

Here we are in 2007 and we are trying to get those old sounds out of modern digital equipment but the problem is the interface, experience, and sound is a far cry from flying high on a LSD trip tweaking knobs that you don't even know what they do until you are fucking the green bitch from Star Trek while riding a purple zebra.

What I'm getting at is we have lost something. I think we are a more druggie society now that we ever were in the 60's so it isn't so much the drugs but the creativity some of those drugs induced.

I think our digital age in some cases has sucked out the mystery. I still have no idea what the knobs on my flager really do. LOL! I just fuck with it until I get the sound. I like how my Fuzzface sounds like shit in a cold room and it has to be warm to sound good. Why does an old Marshall sound good when you turn all the knobs to 10? People are still trying to figure that one out and replicate it 40 some odd years later.

Somehow a Line 6 POD isn't the same. I don't see the Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, or Iron Butterfly doing much with one on LSD. You make a selection from a menu. The mystery of turning knobs is gone.

The old shit was like sex. You really didn't know what you were doing and you really didn't know what you were going to get. But if you tweaked the knobs and buttons right, oh God, it was like a good orgasm! :D

Maybe that's why we pay the big bucks for the old shit today.

Maybe that's why today's music has all the satisfaction of fucking a Fleshlight or a plastic doll. Not that I know what that's really like. :D

Coyote
10-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Maybe that's why today's music has all the satisfaction of fucking a Fleshlight or a plastic doll. Not that I know what that's really like. :D

Suure ya don't... :D

Nitro Express
10-28-2007, 10:17 AM
:D:D:D

BrownSound1
10-28-2007, 11:25 PM
You're right Nitro, there is no discovery anymore. I remember spending hours turning knobs trying to get different tones, but now you just hit a preset. It definitely takes a lot of the fun out of it for me...which is one reason why I'm being stubborn and avoiding as much of that as I can.

VanHalener
10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

But Rock and Roll Ain't what She used to be, baby!

But it still makes good, good sense...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/biMGUTpISFo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/biMGUTpISFo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

jhale667
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
...which is one reason why I'm being stubborn and avoiding as much of that as I can.

Ditto, though that may not be practical for much longer...:(

Nitro Express
10-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
Ditto, though that may not be practical for much longer...:(

The fall of the Soviet Union brought us inexpensive vaccume tubes and the classic renessance began. Now you can build a cool vintage type amp from a kit or buy a cool reissue.

As long as someone is making affordable vaccume tubes, the vintage fun will continue. Maybe we have discovered there's a niche for the old fire bottles.