X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocknrolldork
    Foot Soldier
    • Jun 2004

Musicians and music fans with kids.

Are you passing the musical torch to your kids?

I've been playing since 5th grade which is about 30 years. My mom says I was dancing in my crib to the Moody Blues and the Beatles since I was born. Though my parents didn't have good taste in music, my dad's brother did. I totally got it when my uncle played the old Who, Springsteen, Hendrix, Led Zep, Dylan, etc... for me.

I have 2 girls. One is 15 and the other is 3. It's amazing to see what kind of stuff they both like and listen to. Now I know some people may have a problem with some of the stuff I let my kids listen to but I come from the same school as my parents in that regard........ Bring the child up to know the difference between right and wrong and the kid will be alright. Of course there is also a little parental censorship but really not very much.

I checked out what my 15 y.o. has downloaded recently and it was Akon, Metallica (from Kill em All & AJFA), Breaking Benjamin, My Chemical Romance, Nirvana, The Ramones, Depeche Mode, Rob Zombie, Lil' John, Fergie and some other booty shaking stuff.

All I have to go by with my 3 y.o. is what she asks to turn up or play over and over. So far my 3 y.o. is digging CVH, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Marley, Christina, Beyonce, Earth Wind and Fire, Grateful Dead, Akon (I don't get it but whatever), Led Zep and various other stuff with a heavy back beat.

My 15 y.o. remembers me being on the road a lot when she was younger so her form of rebellion is not playing any instruments. That sucks so bad. My 3 y.o. isn't ready for lessons on anything yet but she is always messing with my keys, drums, guitars, kazoo's, or whatever she can get her little paws on. I really hope she picks something up. It would be great if my 15 y.o. would see the light and start because I know she'd be great.
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

A 3 year old who digs The Dead Kennedys? Cool!
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• rocknrolldork
      Foot Soldier
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      A 3 year old who digs The Dead Kennedys? Cool!
      Everytime I put them on she wants me to turn it up. Usually louder than I want to hear it when I'm driving. At home I'll crank it though.

Hopefully she'll be rocking faces off coast to coast when she's older.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Oct 2004

That might not be a good thing...

Most kids "grow out" of what they like at 3 years old.

If this wasn't the case I'd still watch Power Rangers religiously and dance to cheesey pop records.
        Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• rocknrolldork
          Foot Soldier
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
          That might not be a good thing...

Most kids "grow out" of what they like at 3 years old.

If this wasn't the case I'd still watch Power Rangers religiously and dance to cheesey pop records.
          Not that there is anything wrong with an adult doing that. lol.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

I know...just look at my uncle Alan.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...