• Show
Clear All
  • scamper
    Commando
    • May 2005

The top 10 languages spoken in the world

10. French
    Number of speakers: 129 million

Often called the most romantic language in the world, French is spoken in tons of countries, including Belgium, Canada, Rwanda, Cameroon, and Haiti. Oh, and France too. We're actually very lucky that French is so popular, because without it, we might have been stuck with Dutch Toast, Dutch Fries, and Dutch kissing (ew!).
    To say "hello" in French, say "Bonjour" (bone-JOOR).

9. Malay (Indonesian)
    Number of speakers: 159 million

Malay-Indonesian is spoken - surprise - in Malaysia and Indonesia. Actually, we kinda fudged the numbers on this one because there are many dialects of Malay, the most popular of which is Indonesian. But they're all pretty much based on the same root language, which makes it the ninth most-spoken in the world.Indonesia is a fascinating place; a nation made up of over 13,000 islands it is the sixth most populated country in the world. Malaysia borders on two of the larger parts of Indonesia (including the island of Borneo), and is mostly known for its capital city of Kuala Lumpur.
    To say "hello" in Indonesian, say "Selamat pagi" (se-LA-maht PA-gee).

8. Portuguese
    Number of speakers: 191 million

Think of Portuguese as the little language that could. In the 12th Century, Portugal won its independence from Spain and expanded all over the world with the help of its famous explorers like Vasco da Gama and Prince Henry the Navigator. (Good thing Henry became a navigator . . . could you imagine if a guy named "Prince Henry the Navigator" became a florist?) Because Portugal got in so early on the exploring game, the language established itself all over the world, especially in Brazil (where it's the national language), Macau, Angola, Venezuela, and Mozambique.
    To say "hello" in Portuguese, say "Bom dia" (bohn DEE-ah).

7. Bengali
    Number of speakers: 211 million

In Bangladesh, a country of 120+ million people, just about everybody speaks Bengali. And because Bangladesh is virtually surrounded by India (where the population is growing so fast, just breathing the air can get you pregnant), the number of Bengali speakers in the world is much higher than most people would expect.
    To say "hello" in Bengali, say "Ei Je" (EYE-jay).

6. Arabic
    Number of speakers: 246 million

Arabic, one of the world's oldest languages, is spoken in the Middle East, with speakers found in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt. Furthermore, because Arabic is the language of the Koran, millions of Moslems in other countries speak Arabic as well. So many people have a working knowledge of Arabic, in fact, that in 1974 it was made the sixth official language of the United Nations.
    To say "hello" in Arabic, say "Al salaam a'alaykum" (Ahl sah-LAHM ah ah-LAY-koom).

5. Russian
    Number of speakers: 277 million

Mikhail Gorbachev, Boris Yeltsin, and Yakov Smirnoff are among the millions of Russian speakers out there. Sure, we used to think of them as our Commie enemies. Now we think of them as our Commie friends. One of the six languages in the UN, Russian is spoken not only in the Mother Country, but also in Belarus, Kazakhstan, and the U.S. (to name just a few places).
    To say "hello" in Russian, say "Zdravstvuite" (ZDRAST-vet- yah).

4. Spanish
    Number of speakers: 392 million

Aside from all of those kids who take it in high school, Spanish is spoken in just about every South American and Central American country, not to mention Spain, Cuba, and the U.S. There is a particular interest in Spanish in the U.S., as many English words are borrowed from the language, including: tornado, bonanza, patio, quesadilla, enchilada, and taco grande supreme.
    To say "hello" in Spanish, say "Hola" (OH-la).

3. Hindustani
    Number of speakers: 497 million

Hindustani is the primary language of India's crowded population, and it encompasses a huge number of dialects (of which the most commonly spoken is Hindi). While many predict that the population of India will soon surpass that of China, the prominence of English in India prevents Hindustani from surpassing the most popular language in the world. If you're interested in learning a little Hindi, there's a very easy way: rent an Indian movie. The film industry in India is the most prolific in the world, making thousands of action/romance/ musicals every year.
    To say "hello" in Hindustani, say "Namaste" (Nah-MAH-stay).

2. English
    Number of speakers: 508 million

While English doesn't have the most speakers, it is the official language of more countries than any other language. Its speakers hail from all around the world, including the U.S., Australia, England, Zimbabwe, the Caribbean, Hong Kong, South Africa, and Canada. We'd tell you more about English, but you probably feel pretty comfortable with the language already. Let's just move on to the most popular language in the world.
    To say "hello" in English, say "What's up, freak?" (watz-UP-freek).

1. Mandarin
    Number of speakers: 1 billion+

Surprise, surprise, the most widely spoken language on the planet is based in the most populated country on the planet, China. Beating second-place English by a 2 to 1 ratio, but don't let that lull you into thinking that Mandarin is easy to learn. Speaking Mandarin can be really tough, because each word can be pronounced in four ways (or "tones"), and a beginner will invariably have trouble distinguishing one tone from another. But if over a billion people could do it, so could you. Try saying hello!
    To say "hello" in Mandarin, say "Ni hao" (Nee HaOW). ("Hao" is pronounced as one syllable, but the tone requires that you let your voice drop midway, and then raise it again at the end.)

• Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The most descriptive language is German. You can really describe the details of anything. Heaven forbid Mandarin Chinese ever replaces English. The Chinese don't even understand each other with all their dialects. The language is vague and primitive and sounds nasty.

French and Spanish sound sexy. I would rather speak them than nasty sounding Chinese.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      The most descriptive language is German. You can really describe the details of anything.
      Like words like Gemütlichkeit (the feeling you get when you're in a warm, cozy place with a lot of your friends).

I also love the compound nouns in German!

Todesmetallkäse = Death metal cheese!

And Spanish to me is absolutely disgusting. I wish I had learned something beautiful, like Swedish, or had devoted more time in Russian.

Comment

• WhoCares?
        Full On Cocktard
        • Jun 2007

This is the United States

Speak Spanish!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          The most descriptive language is German. You can really describe the details of anything. Heaven forbid Mandarin Chinese ever replaces English. The Chinese don't even understand each other with all their dialects. The language is vague and primitive and sounds nasty.

French and Spanish sound sexy. I would rather speak them than nasty sounding Chinese.
          The English language vocabulary is much larger actually. It's not even close...

Comment

• naturochem
            Head Fluffer
            • May 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
            Chinese is not "nasty-sounding." Although mainland Chinese people might not understand all the different dialects, they can speak and understand the official language of the country which is Mandarin.

Do all English speakers understand each other? My English teacher played a documentary in class about something in England, somewhere in the mountains. You could hardly understand the interviewee with his accent. How about down south right here in the U.S.? I have trouble understanding southerners, but I'm sure they feel the same way about my Brooklyn drawl.
            Sorry Chan, I have to agree w/ Nitro... having spent time in Guangzhou, Shanghai & Beijing, I can say that hearing Chinise all the time from every direction was a traumatic (well...'nasty' sounding..) experience!

Hey, it DOES sound better than Tagalog, though!!
            CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• DirtyDeeds
              Roadie
              • Mar 2007

I'm going to quite happily stay with English. Looks like plenty of people speak it! If I ever go to China (doubtful) I'll be with a tour group looking at a really big privacy fence, or maybe taking a baby out of a shithole and back to the land of the free.

Comment

• naturochem
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2004

I've been to all those places you mentioned. I admit when I was over in Shanghai and Beijing, I felt alienated hearing the locals talk among themselves because I couldn't understand a word they were saying, and at times it seems that they were arguing among themselves even though they were not.

But say what you will about the Chinese. All I know is the Chinese can learn any foreign language, yet not many people of other nationalities can learn Chinese. When I hear native English speakers speaking fluent Chinese, be it Mandarin or Cantonese, I am in awe of them and feel a little ashamed of myself as I'm still struggling with the language. It makes me want to take classes! But I want to learn Spanish first. After all, this is the United States.
                Duìbuqǐ - just to clarify: I meant no disrespect to the Chinese people, & wouldn't be speaking negative about any particular race (except for maybe the fuckin French... (right Jerome?? heh!); it is the language -- particulary the enunciation of the language -- that I was, I suppose, insulting...

Come on...you have to admit it sounds at least a bit fucked up??
                Xièxiè, & zài jiàn!
                CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• naturochem
                  Head Fluffer
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by naturochem
                  Sorry Chan, I have to agree w/ Nitro... having spent time in Guangzhou, Shanghai & Beijing, I can say that hearing Chinise all the time from every direction was a traumatic (well...'nasty' sounding..) experience!

Hey, it DOES sound better than Tagalog, though!!
                  I must've taken spelling lessons from Cadaverdouche...

Comment

• MAPRamone
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jun 2006

Re: The top 10 languages spoken in the world

Originally posted by scamper
                    10. French
                    Number of speakers: 129 million

9. Malay (Indonesian)
                    Number of speakers: 159 million

8. Portuguese
                    Number of speakers: 191 million

7. Bengali
                    Number of speakers: 211 million

the number of Bengali speakers in the world is much higher than most people would expect.

6. Arabic
                    Number of speakers: 246 million

5. Russian
                    Number of speakers: 277 million

4. Spanish
                    Number of speakers: 392 million

3. Hindustani
                    Number of speakers: 497 million

2. English
                    Number of speakers: 508 million

1. Mandarin
                    Number of speakers: 1 billion+

http://www.wonderfulinfo.com/winfo/top10lang.htm
                    I knew that Mandarin was first and English second. I also knew French, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian, Hindi and Spanish were in the top 10 but not the order. Didn't know Bengali and Malay were in the top 10.
                    dm/dt=kA (Cs-C)

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Chinese is not "nasty-sounding." Although mainland Chinese people might not understand all the different dialects, they can speak and understand the official language of the country which is Mandarin.

Do all English speakers understand each other? My English teacher played a documentary in class about something in England, somewhere in the mountains. You could hardly understand the interviewee with his accent. How about down south right here in the U.S.? I have trouble understanding southerners, but I'm sure they feel the same way about my Brooklyn drawl.
                      I used to work in this call center several years back. One day I got this call from a woman in Kentucky and I swear to God, I couldn't understand 80% of what she was saying. Usually I don't have a problem with Southern accents at all, but this one I don't even know how to describe.

Luckily, I was working with a guy from Kentucky so I gave him the call. He later told me that the woman had this "backwoods dialect" that was different even from the rest of Kentucky, let alone the rest of the South.

As for Mandarin, I have friends who are trying to learn the language. They have adopted two kids from China, so they learned a few words before they went over there, and are still working at it, though the kids are obviously picking it up faster than they are.

What confuses me about Mandarin, and why I would probably fail at learning it myself, is how you could say waht sounds like the same word, but in a different tone, and have it mean something entirely different.

I want my Starfleet universal translator, damn it.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        I want my Starfleet universal translator, damn it.
                        Fuck that. I want my BABELFISH!

Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• bastardog
                          Commando
                          • Feb 2004

I will keep my spanish and english.
                          I can comunicate with the whole New World, and as a bonus a part of Europe (Spain), with those two and also Spain.

I will like to try French tough
                          Bastardog

Comment

• bastardog
                            Commando
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
                            ... Spanish to me is absolutely disgusting.
                            Thanks...
                            Bastardog

Comment

• franksters
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

IMO , French is the most colorful language, but everybody should speak english, it would make things much easier...

let's just say that fo every word in english there is at least 4 in french to choose from.
                              SUMMER'S JUST
                              AROUND
                              THE CORNER!

[IMG]
                              http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

Working...