• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Pilot Who Dropped Hiroshma Bomb Dies

U.S. pilot who dropped Hiroshima bomb dies:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the U.S. bomber that dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan on August 6, 1945, died on Thursday at age 92, a newspaper reported.

Tibbets, who died at his home in Columbus, Ohio, had suffered strokes and was ill from heart failure, the Columbus Dispatch said in its online edition.

An experienced pilot who had flown some of the first bombing missions over Germany during World War Two, Tibbets was a 30-year-old colonel commanding the Enola Gay, a B-29 Superfortress bomber named for his mother.

After a six-hour flight to Japan, Tibbets' crew dropped the bomb, code-named "Little Boy," over Hiroshima at 8:15 a.m.

"If Dante had been with us on the plane, he would have been terrified," Tibbets said later. "The city we had seen so clearly in the sunlight a few minutes before was now an ugly smudge. It had completely disappeared under this awful blanket of smoke and fire."

The bomb instantly killed about 78,000 people. By the end of 1945, the number of dead had reached about 140,000 out of an estimated population of 350,000.

Three days later the United States dropped an atomic bomb nicknamed "Fat Man" on Nagasaki. Japan surrendered on August 15, 1945, bringing World War Two to an end.

Tibbets said in interviews he did not regret the decision to drop the bomb.

He became a brigadier general before leaving the military in 1966. Later he was president of Executive Jet Aviation, a Columbus-based international air-taxi service, the newspaper said.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Heard he didnt want a funeral or grave marker...

Feared his critics would use it.

Comment

• Figs
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

good night funny man, good night.......

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Figs
        good night funny man, good night.......
        :confused:

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The crew that dropped this bomb probably filled their pants with shit when the shockwave hit the plane.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfoQsZa8F1c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FfoQsZa8F1c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Seriously, I can't be the only one....

Can you NOT put yourself in this guy's shoes for a moment?

Did he not go to bed EVERY night thinking about the 140,000 civilians he evaporated with his trigger finger?

Did he then fall asleep comforted in the fact we may have lost 3X as many of our Guys invading japan?

I just can't imagine what it was like in this guy's head for the last 60 years...

Unbelievable

Comment

• Blackflag
              Banned
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Did he not go to bed EVERY night thinking about the 140,000 civilians he evaporated with his trigger finger?

Did he then fall asleep comforted in the fact we may have lost 3X as many of our Guys invading japan?

I just can't imagine what it was like in this guy's head for the last 60 years...

Unbelievable
              I know a guy that worked in a silo...and they specifically picked him and others like him because that part of his brain just isn't working. When you ask him questions like that, it's like he's just fucking clueless.

It's possible this guy just thought nothing every night...who knows.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Any bomber pilots are trained to detach themselves from that human instinct...

The B-29 crews that firebombed Tokyo, causing a rare, but massively destructive "firestorm" effect actually killed more people than the A-bombs did. And they were told that they were, and I quote, "baby-killers" by there own commanders...

It's much easier to drop bombs and not see your victims, in which case I think one can block most of the horrors out...

The moral trade-off is that more Japanese, and American servicemen, would have died in an invasion of Japan codenamed "Operation Downfall" than did by the bombs. The casualty projections were upwards of over 1,000,000 men...And that's just the Amercians...
                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Blackflag
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2006

That Eddie/Hannibal video is fucking hilarious.

Comment

• thome
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Unbelievable
                    Were you there, Charlie?

Have you spoke with anyone who was.I have.

You post speaks not of concern but of a God-Like condemnation.

BAKUFU

Before you get started there are no civilians in a Imperialistic Society.

Comment

• thome
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Any bomber pilots are trained to detach themselves from that human instinct...

The B-29 crews that firebombed Tokyo, causing a rare, but massively destructive "firestorm" effect actually killed more people than the A-bombs did. And they were told that they were, and I quote, "baby-killers" by there own commanders...

It's much easier to drop bombs and not see your victims, in which case I think one can block most of the horrors out...

The moral trade-off is that more Japanese, and American servicemen, would have died in an invasion of Japan codenamed "Operation Downfall" than did by the bombs. The casualty projections were upwards of over 1,000,000 men...And that's just the Amercians...
                      MORAL TRADE................. OFFF OHH SH!TT!!!!

Were You there too?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by thome
                        MORAL TRADE................. OFFF OHH SH!TT!!!!

Were You there too?
                        No Thome, I just do that book readin' about stuff...

Comment

• thome
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          No Thome, I just do that book readin' about stuff...
                          Oh..... ok, that makes it all better.

Maybe the books will block a bullet headed towards you ,on the field of woe.

Perhaps you could read one to him about what he was thinking.

Comment

• matt19
                            Sniper
                            • Mar 2005

Were you there, Charlie?

Have you spoke with anyone who was.I have.

You post speaks not of concern but of a God-Like condemnation.

BAKUFU

Before you get started there are no civilians in a Imperialistic Society.

Are you serious? That is a perfectly logical question, you are just to fucking stupid to read a comprehensive thought.
                            Long Live Classic VH

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Oh..... ok, that makes it all better.

Maybe the books will block a bullet headed towards you ,on the field of woe.

Perhaps you could read one to him about what he was thinking.
                              Maybe you can get one with lots of pictures? or better yet, a pop-up one?

Comment

Working...