PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy

NATEDOG001976
11-03-2007, 04:56 AM
Ozzy Osbourne fans had better read the fine print on their VIP tickets from now on.

Last update: November 02, 2007 – 9:48

Ozzy Osbourne

More from Music
Concert review: Springsteen was his classic, rockin’ self
Don't miss M.I.A. (or Kanye or Dwight)
Concert review: A solid State of affairs for the Hold Steady
Two familiar Beethoven works
Chamber brothers
Ozzy Osbourne fans had better read the fine print on their VIP tickets from now on.
The heavy-metal legend is barking at a Fargo-area sheriff who set up a bogus VIP party before his Oct. 29 Fargodome concert to arrest 36 people with outstanding warrants.

Thinking they had won concert tickets compliments of "PDL Productions," the unsuspecting fans actually got a free trip to jail from Cass County Sheriff Paul Laney. The arrests were for such violations as ignoring court summons and failing to pay child support, including two warrants from Minnesota. The department went so far as to print up fake "I Crashed the Bash" T-shirts and offered a free souvenir photo -- a booking photo.

In a statement Friday, Osbourne bit back.

"It's insulting to me and to my audience, and it shows how lazy this particular sheriff is when it comes to doing his job," said the heavy-metal legend, who also gave an, um, arresting performance Wednesday in Minneapolis.

Laney said: "I stand by what we did as a creative way to serve our community. Many bars and businesses ... threw pre-concert events to advertise themselves. We just threw a different kind of party."

CHRIS RIEMENSCHNEIDER

http://www.startribune.com/music/story/1526128.html

Terry
11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Kind of a clever ruse on the part of law enforcement, actually.

Plus, anyone attending Ozzy shows these days is just enabling Oz to keep Sharon in furs, which in turn makes her keep flogging Ozzy back out on the road for these tours which are little more than picking at the carcass of a solo career that hasn't been of any use for twenty years. These ticket buying twats deserve a night in jail; with any luck, they'll find out why it's called the pokey.

Fuck Ozzy, fuck Sharon, fuck Zakk "hey, check out my 80 pinched harmonics per song" Wylde and fuck their current fanbase. RJD with Black Sabbath is twenty times the show poor ole OO could DREAM of pulling off these days.

Diamondjimi
11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Kind of a clever ruse on the part of law enforcement, actually.

Plus, anyone attending Ozzy shows these days is just enabling Oz to keep Sharon in furs, which in turn makes her keep flogging Ozzy back out on the road for these tours which are little more than picking at the carcass of a solo career that hasn't been of any use for twenty years. These ticket buying twats deserve a night in jail; with any luck, they'll find out why it's called the pokey.

Fuck Ozzy, fuck Sharon, fuck Zakk "hey, check out my 80 pinched harmonics per song" Wylde and fuck their current fanbase. RJD with Black Sabbath is twenty times the show poor ole OO could DREAM of pulling off these days.

Goddamn , 5 star post right there !

NATEDOG001976
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Zakk is a cock!

thome
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
What if I did the same thing Forged Documents.. Ticketmaster tickets to throw a party.

Then said it's all a hoax go home.

The Sheriff show be arrested and thrown in jail all who were arrested should get thier fines paid by the state.

I don't see how this is legal.

I do see it as illegal,criminal, what would the ACLU do if the roles were reversed.

Heads will roll mark my words.

binnie
11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Ozzy is a decdent guy, he's just lost all credibility as a result of Sharon's management in the last 5 years or so. He's still a legend, albeit a tarnished one, I always try and remember the Metal God I loved in the first place rather than the parody of himself that he has become.

Zakk's style has become old however: you're a talented guitar player, why do the same thing over and over? I've always been a fan, but even I'm getting bored.

Ozzy is still a hell of a performer, but his voice is absolutely shot to hell. Time to retire methinks.

Panamark
11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
I wonder if Ozzy still enjoys performing, or whether he
would prefer to be in Ozz nirvana on his arse at home,
5 litres of wine a day, drinking down the sunset..

I thought I witnessed his farewell tour many many
years ago now, and he was awesome. I'm too scared
to watch anything recent as I dont want the legend
destroyed..

Dio and Ozzy's band are kicking goals big time.
But their best, still isnt on the level of Diary and
Blizzard.. Some of the best Rock ever..

Or is there some H&H freaks here that reckon
Heaven and Hell was better than Ozzy/Randy/Daisley and Kerslake ??

Sab with Dio was great, Gillan with Sab was great too..
Ozzy with Sabbath was the benchmark....

sadaist
11-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by binnie

his voice is absolutely shot to hell. Time to retire methinks.

Uh, what about Brian Johnson from AC/DC? Dude has been gargling with rusty nails & glass shards since Fly On The Wall.

Shaun Ponsonby
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Do you remember that episode of The Simpsons were Chief Wiggum sent out letters to people who had outstanding fines and told them they'd won a boat...?

DeadMan1984
11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
^^^ I actually diid think of that episode when I read this post. LOL

WACF
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I saw Ozzy just a week ago.

It was actually very good.

Zakk actually played pretty good...not overdone with the pinch harmonics at all...he must of toned it down.

Best line....I don't know where I am but you guys are fucking cool...

Terry
11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
I wonder if Ozzy still enjoys performing, or whether he
would prefer to be in Ozz nirvana on his arse at home,
5 litres of wine a day, drinking down the sunset..

I thought I witnessed his farewell tour many many
years ago now, and he was awesome. I'm too scared
to watch anything recent as I dont want the legend
destroyed..

Dio and Ozzy's band are kicking goals big time.
But their best, still isnt on the level of Diary and
Blizzard.. Some of the best Rock ever..

Or is there some H&H freaks here that reckon
Heaven and Hell was better than Ozzy/Randy/Daisley and Kerslake ??

Sab with Dio was great, Gillan with Sab was great too..
Ozzy with Sabbath was the benchmark....

No denying that Ozzy was the voice of those great "classic" Black Sabbath albums ('specially the first four, which are the only ones I bother with anymore) and those first two solo albums of his WERE killer.

RJD and Gillan can sing rings around him. Plus, 'Ozzy's' lyrics fall kinda flat without someone like Butler or Daisley around to write them for him.

What Ozzy WAS and what Ozzy IS are two different animals. As to if he still enjoys performing, I can't say. My take on him is he's just used to it, is a bit soft in the head these days, and will do whatever Sharon tells him to. Sure, the reality show and Ozzfest were clever ways to keeo the name alive and the money-making machine rolling, but one can be shrewd and clever without displaying much in the way of wisdom (just ask Karl Rove).

binnie
11-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
Uh, what about Brian Johnson from AC/DC? Dude has been gargling with rusty nails & glass shards since Fly On The Wall.

That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought about it that way....

Shaun Ponsonby
11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by sadaist

Yea...but he can still move onstage...

Plus, he's more likable...

His wife isn't a judge on a TV talent show...

His annoying kids aren't all over TV...

And he hasn't become an international joke...

Panamark
11-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll never forget tripping on shrooms and then
suddenly the clip for "Crazy Train" comes on TV.

You know the one, it has the live track from "Tribute"
with Randy, and Ozzy looks all freaked out in
black and white, then Randy's "V" flys along the
Railway track...

First time I saw the video, and I was in a
parallel dimension !

*THAT* was a spiritual experience :D

I always want to remember the Ozzman in that
vein, not the current day worn out Sharon puppet...

Panamark
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

RJD and Gillan can sing rings around him. Plus, 'Ozzy's' lyrics fall kinda flat without someone like Butler or Daisley around to write them for him.

Totally agree with you on the lyrics, and I also think that
DIO and Gillan are awesome singers, but I actually like
Ozzy's voice (or did) its a very unique style, Ive heard
singers that sound like DIO and Gillan, but not Ozzy..

monkeythe
11-05-2007, 10:54 PM
It is a common technique used by police to get criminals off the street. Ozzy is just using this as an opportunity to get back in the news because he has a new album coming out called Black Rain.
http://www.ozzy.com/news/black-rain-special-edition-in-stores-november-20th

I can't believe this post about the album is still up on his site about the album:

AGAIN???
Tue, 11/06/2007 - 03:43 — ozzygeezer

I think it is lame as hell to re-release a cd that just came out six months ago. I think it is even lamer that Japan already got most of the songs that are on the "extra" cd on the initial release so if you wanted them you had to get the Japan version on ebay or some other website that had it. Why don't you just release all the songs you have to everybody, THAT would stop tons of the illegal downloads.

Sirion
11-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Ozzy's solo career in my opinion died the moment he fired Jake E. Lee from the band. Nothing from Zakk-era have caught my ears.

I saw him earlier this year, and while he sang pretty decent live (everything taken into consideration), the band was faceless and Zakk sounded like a total hack. Their warm-up band, TNT, blew them off stage.

Panamark
11-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Has Zakk really become a hack, or is it more that his style has
become over accepted, and no longer fresh ??

Terry
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Totally agree with you on the lyrics, and I also think that
DIO and Gillan are awesome singers, but I actually like
Ozzy's voice (or did) its a very unique style, Ive heard
singers that sound like DIO and Gillan, but not Ozzy..

Ozzy has a unique voice, no doubt.

Unlike, say, Roth, who was the only voice of Van Halen for me, Ozzy was never the only voice of Sabbath for me. RJD and Ian did some pretty fucking amazing shit with the band. Stands up just fine alongside Sabbath's first four studio albums with Ozzy, and easily outpaces anything Sabbath did with Ozzy from Sabotage up to Never Say Die, IMO.

Panamark
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Ozzy has a unique voice, no doubt.

Unlike, say, Roth, who was the only voice of Van Halen for me, Ozzy was never the only voice of Sabbath for me. RJD and Ian did some pretty fucking amazing shit with the band. Stands up just fine alongside Sabbath's first four studio albums with Ozzy, and easily outpaces anything Sabbath did with Ozzy from Sabotage up to Never Say Die, IMO.

Yes, I can see your point for sure, and mostly agree with you.
(Just quietly I agree with 90% of your posts ...lol)
What irks me about all of this is I've seen RJD solo (around
Holy Diver era) Ozzy solo (No more tears era) but never
seen Ozzy with the original Sabbath line up..

H&H are actually going to tour Australia. To me its probably
the last ever chance Australia would have had, of seeing
the original Black Sabbath.. But Ozzy wont be there.

So its a bit bitter sweet. Im sure it would be an awesome
gig too,( DIO, Iommi and Geezer still bring it home big time..)

But this old original Sabbath fan would feel a little dissapointed
that it wasnt with Ozzy...

Terry
11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Never got the chance to see Ozzy with Sabbath either.

Got to see Ozzy solo with Jake E. Lee in 1984; Motley Crue opened and blew Ozzy off the stage.

Got to see Ozzy solo with Jake E. Lee in 1986; Metallica opened and blew Ozzy off the stage.

Got to see Black Sabbath with Ian on the Born Again tour in 1983; Quiet Riot opened and in no way whatsoever blew Sabbath off the stage.

My advice to you regarding the Heaven and Hell tour coming your way is to FUCKING GO SEE IT!! Caught it here in Tampa pretty much as a last minute lark, and it was fucking incredible. Dio was phenominal, and this is coming from someone who saw him in 1984 and 1985 (both times with Vivian Campbell).

In fact, the whole fucking H&H unit was pretty spectacular, not just RJD.

Don't even bother wishing it were Ozzy and Bill Ward up there instead of Dio and Vinnie when you go to see it, either. I have a visceral, gut feeling that even if Ozzy and Ward WERE there instead, the results wouldn't be as good. Not these days. Ozzy is just tapped now.

Fuckin' shame, innit? But there you go.

Panamark
11-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Was forgetting old Bill too..
Actually that makes it less guilty for me to see..
Coz it definately aint sabbath without ward and osbourne...

Kinda like the "Other Half" except decent.. lol.. :D

binnie
11-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Has Zakk really become a hack, or is it more that his style has
become over accepted, and no longer fresh ??

It's that he's no longer fresh, and he has become a parody of himself by not doing anything new. He overdoes the pinch harmonic and has been playing the same solo since 1988.

I'm a big Zakk fan: I love Pride and Glory and BLS, but his work with Ozzy has become stale.

Ozzy's current backing band is solid rather than spectacular, even if Mike Bordin is a legend.

Sirion
11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I can only judge Lee on the two Ozzy videos featuring him. On Bark at the Moon, he is divine, he is playing Rhodes songs with far more confidence that I've seen Randy ever do, and at the same time, he is jumping around as if the songs are too easy for him. I can barely think of a more charismatic, extroverted guitarist than Jake E. Lee on that video.

On the Ultimate Sin tape, he is still good, but it looked like he was asked to tone it down a bit. Also, the band itself, now featuring Soussan and Castillo, is quite a bit weaker, and Ozzy is spaced out on alcohol and drugs. The material is weaker as well. I like the Ultimate Sin, but it is a step down from the first three solo albums. However, in my opinion it is still better than the things Zakk played on.

I guess you must have seen Lee on a bad night during BatM, because mostly everyone I've spoken with who saw them on that tour confirms the impression I get from the live tape.