PDA

View Full Version : Mods to a 5150?

VAiN
11-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I have a 5150 half-stack and was wondering if there are any mods that I could do it myself... I have no experience with building amps, but i'm pretty handy with tools and whatnot... any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Eddie's Booze
11-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by VAiN
I have a 5150 half-stack and was wondering if there are any mods that I could do it myself... I have no experience with building amps, but i'm pretty handy with tools and whatnot... any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Nitro Express knows about that stuff.

:)

cdwillis
11-04-2007, 06:30 PM
What exactly do you want to modify about the amp?

I used to have a site bookmarked that did mods to lots of different amps, 5150 included. One of the mods was a bias mod and they also redid the tolex to snakeskin on the head.

VAiN
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by cdwillis
What exactly do you want to modify about the amp?

Not sure, really.. just curious to know how tune-able these amps are... if there's anything that I can do to it that's different then a stock sounding 5150...

VAiN
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
Nitro Express knows about that stuff.

:)

Thanks! I'll contact him and see what he thinks...

cdwillis
11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I found that old site, never dealt with them before but here it is:

http://www.fjamods.com/5150.html

Nitro Express
11-05-2007, 04:00 AM

The only mod a 5150 head needs in my book is to have a wide sweep adjustable bias pot added. 5150's tend to sound cold and harsh because Peavey underbiases their amps to make the power tubes last longer and to make it so the average Joe can replace the power tubes himself.

The 5150 is a modern circuit board type amp with a faily compllicated circuit. Not the best amp for a first time mod and for what it would cost you in tools, it's would be better to ship the amp off to a reputable mod shop.

Nitro Express
11-05-2007, 04:02 AM
This outfit in Syracuse, New York knows the 5150 amps inside and out and can do any mod you want.

http://www.fjamods.com/

Nitro Express
11-05-2007, 04:19 AM
Ive used the 5150 II head for a bass power amp and it sounded great. I just plug a SansAmp RBJ into the effects loop and run a 8 ohn 300 watt 4x10 off the poweramp. The pressence and ressonance controls allow you to dial in the sweet spot on your speaker cab which is cool for bass! :D

VAiN
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
This outfit in Syracuse, New York knows the 5150 amps inside and out and can do any mod you want.

http://www.fjamods.com/

Thanks for the info!

Eyes of the Night
11-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Not sure, really.. just curious to know how tune-able these amps are... if there's anything that I can do to it that's different then a stock sounding 5150...

It's all about the tubes Vain, ... at least with my 5150II head that's what I did ... then I got a Marsh 1969A cab, line 6 modulators(green and blue), ed's phase and flanger ... that's what I have come up thus far to sound NOT like Ed ...

Nitro Express
11-22-2007, 04:12 AM
I like the 5150 II myself. You are right. It's the tubes and I'm running Elextro-Harmonix 6L6 in mine but also the amp improves gobs with a propper bias. For Norwegian death metal, a cold bias gets that cold death and doom sound kids like today but us classic rock dudes hate that.

All the 5150 needs is to have the power tubes draw more idle current and you start to get into Classic Eddie territory.

I can nail classic VH tones on the crunch channel with good tubes and a propper bias. That's all the 5150 needs.

They like either a Peavey 5150 cab or a Marshall 1960 cab. They sound cool with greenbacks but the peak voltage is 150 watts and you can blow your speakers.

Nitro Express
11-22-2007, 04:17 AM
One thing about 5150 amps. Fucking reliable as hell! I've seen them come out of fires, some of the knobs missing, beer spilled in them, and they still work! That's damn good for a modern circuit board contructed amp. People poo poo the modern construction techniques but if done right, I think they are as durable as the old point to point.

I've never had a problem with mine. Ever.

VAiN
11-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
One thing about 5150 amps. Fucking reliable as hell! I've seen them come out of fires, some of the knobs missing, beer spilled in them, and they still work! That's damn good for a modern circuit board contructed amp. People poo poo the modern construction techniques but if done right, I think they are as durable as the old point to point.

I've never had a problem with mine. Ever.

I agree.. I've had mine for close to 10 years with no problems. I've had the tubes replaced a few times. I've used the Sovtek (?) tubes and been pretty happy... I tried something new at the recommendation of the amp guy and now I don't really like the sound :( Guess that's what I get for listening to the amp guy at the music store.

Nitro Express
11-25-2007, 06:33 AM
I agree.. I've had mine for close to 10 years with no problems. I've had the tubes replaced a few times. I've used the Sovtek (?) tubes and been pretty happy... I tried something new at the recommendation of the amp guy and now I don't really like the sound :( Guess that's what I get for listening to the amp guy at the music store.

They are deffinately tube and bias sensative. The knobs also have a lot of control over the sound. A lot of guys are used to amps that the basic amp sound is always there if you set the knobs at 12:00. You tweak a 5150 a tab on one setting it goes from sugar to shit. The knobs actually do a lot.

I always thought the amps got ragged on because people didn't know what they were doing with them.