PDA

View Full Version : Getting tired of the crap said about Dave's current look, clothes, etc.

Vinnie Velvet
11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Since the tour began, I've been reading crap about Dave's current look and choice of clothes.

Critics and even fans have been complaining about his 'matador' jacket, short hair, etc.

The dumbest thing I read was that it wasn't "rock and roll".

Since when did Dave EVER really dress "rock and roll"???

I mean, since day one, Dave has always been referred to as the 'Liberace of Rock'. He was colorful and being colorful, IMO, was never 'rock and roll'.

He wore stuff that singers back in the day would never go out on stage with. Robert Plant certainly didn't dress like that, not even Mick Jagger.

Remember the leg warmers?? How about those classic ass-less chaps???

Dave dressed more like a wrestler from WWE than a rock singer!

Oh and in 1988, Dave was sporting the same matador jackets during the Skyscraper era. I don't remember fans complaining about it back then.

Now in 2007, he has certainly toned down the flash and I think it looks great on him.

Now, name me a rock and roll singer who covered a Frank Sinatra song! :D

If people are complaining about Dave looking like a lounge singer or "Vegas", gimmie a break.

Dave has always been like that.

Just a Gigilo anyone?

Roy Munson
11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, who gives a flying fuck what he's wearing? The guy is a living legend.

jgdrag
11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
No shit!

binnie
11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I would agree that it's total BS. Some folks just can't get over the fact that it's not 1984 anymore; and equate being a great frontman with the ability to do high kicks.

Diamondjimi
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Dave's got class. People who complain about his attire most likely have ZERO fashion sense themselves. It's 2007 for fuck sakes!

Do they actually expect him to dress like this...

http://www.rikfedyck.com/pages/entertain/images/DavidLeeRoth02.jpg

:rolleyes:

11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Dave looks great with short hair and so does Ed. The short hair cuts make them look "with it". Dave`s always dressed a little eccentric, thats part of his image.

jgdrag
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 113
Dave`s always dressed a little eccentric, thats part of his image.

Exactly!

LoungeMachine
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Since the tour began, I've been reading crap about Dave's current look and choice of clothes.

?

Welp, I'm sure this thread complaining about the complaints will go a long way to stop the complainers from complaing about the things you're complaining about.

Vinnie Velvet
11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Welp, I'm sure this thread complaining about the complaints will go a long way to stop the complainers from complaing about the things you're complaining about.

I think this thread is a lot better than those threads complaining about moderators.

No?

:D

LoungeMachine
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I think this thread is a lot better than those threads complaining about moderators.

No?

LOL

God Bless those threads complaining about mods...

They never fail to bring a smile to my face.

But don't worry about me.

I'm not complaining about your thread complaining about those complaining threads started by those complaining.

I got no complaints. :cool:

ELVIS
11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I do...

I think the premise of this thread is basically made up...

:elvis:

LoungeMachine
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
It pales in comparison to the STELLAR thread asking about Dave's backbends, that's for sure...

Vinnie Velvet
11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
It pales in comparison to the STELLAR thread asking about Dave's backbends, that's for sure...

HA!

No kidding.

Nickdfresh
11-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Get my matador outfit - you infidels!

LoungeMachine
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLC3uT3aCoE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLC3uT3aCoE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:gulp:

Vinnie Velvet
11-13-2007, 01:45 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLC3uT3aCoE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLC3uT3aCoE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:gulp:

Alrighty then.

I stand corrected.

haha
11-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Yes, Dave is like Liberace in MANY ways, it seems we are all in agreement there. Yes, Dave bends way back, and way forward, OK. Chaps need to be assless, or else they're pants, it also seems some of you fellows would like to see DLR bust out the old chaps again, good for you for stepping up and breaking loose! It's not '84 or '96 anymore, let Dave be Dave. Oh yeah, the intro to "Icecream Man" is taped, too. I think the reason some of this stuff comes up is that there ain't a whole lot else to say. It is what it is.

bueno bob
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Short hair and matador jackets are patriotic.

bueno bob
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
So are those incredible tits.

brianjayy
11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I mean, since day one, Dave has always been referred to as the 'Liberace of Rock'. He was colorful and being colorful, IMO, was never 'rock and roll'.

He wore stuff that singers back in the day would never go out on stage with. Robert Plant certainly didn't dress like that, not even Mick Jagger.

Dave boosted the sale of hankies alone in the early 80's...I remember in high school, after VH started appearing on MTV, almost everybody took Olivia Newton-John and Loverboy's headband hankies off and tied them around their wrists, their thighs, made belts out of 'em and tied 'em around their necks...just like uncle Dave...and who else could have made the white gloves work...

Matt White
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
HA!!!

Bandanna around the neck in the early eighties?!?

GUILTY AS CHARGED

:rockit2:

Nitro Express
11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Dave looks fine. At least he''s not trying to be the Rock and Roll Clown whith his butt hanging out anymore. Dave finally grew up.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fk_1dKLZ0Ng&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fk_1dKLZ0Ng&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

FORD
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
If you have a problem with Dave's "matador jackets", go see Bette Hagar in his second hand surgical scrubs....

http://s.yottamusic.com/i/acKm.6UbC

ELVIS
11-13-2007, 09:02 PM
"Headband hankies" ??

Terry
11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Critics and even fans have been complaining about his 'matador' jacket, short hair, etc.

Oh and in 1988, Dave was sporting the same matador jackets during the Skyscraper era. I don't remember fans complaining about it back then.

Now in 2007, he has certainly toned down the flash and I think it looks great on him.

If people are complaining about Dave looking like a lounge singer or "Vegas", gimmie a break.

Just a Gigilo anyone?

Shit, most of the stuff Roth wore from about 1984 to 1988 was...well...a bit much. Over the top to the point of overkill, 'specially with the spandex.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Roth's demeanor, stage presence and dress style on this tour have (if anything) been toned down from what I expected. Just as well, because circa 2002 Roth was starting to slide into what could almost be called self-parody, witting or not.

The dude is up there singing more of the verses live now than I recall him singing with Van Halen live THE FIRST TIME AROUND, and (let's face it) putting more effort into the vocals than ever before (regardless of being able to hit all the high notes/screams).

Far as him not leaving the ground very often with the martial arts moves onstage like he used to, well, those days are behind him. Just like the days Hagar could look down and see the shoes he was wearing without the aid of a mirror are gone (tubby little red bitch!).

Dave's fine, Ed's playing well, Wolfie's doing well, Al is keeping the beat; all in all it looks and sounds WAY better than I thought it would.

Guess if some folks don't like what they see on the youtubes, well, fuck it. Don't go. Plenty of others will scoop up those tickets.

In a fucking heartbeat.

Nickdfresh
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Dave would be better off dressing like he did in 95.'

rustoffa
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Nobody liked the way he was dressed in 1988. Remember the suit from Boston Pops? He wore that shit in every photo op forever!

It's show business, with a more-than-eccentric flair for the anti-climactic.

I'm sure most of us would agree that Dave isn't dumb. Gee, I wonder if he's ever read a scathing article.....about anything?

He never wandered around with holes in his boots. That's right, he was too busy throwing 5 thousand dollar mountain bikes off his bus.

Who the fuck cares?

With the burgeoning expansion of tour dates, I'm looking forward to April 1...IN ATLANTA!!!

Dave in a unitard....Ed in the Mime outfit, and Wolfie busting out a garage coverall!!!

Al 'ell probably set a gong on fire!!!!
:cool:

BALLYJUNKIE
11-14-2007, 01:23 AM
were not complaining were laughing !!! some of his outfits over the years are pretty funny .

brianjayy
11-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
"Headband hankies" ??

Uh, yeah, wearing a hanky around your head like Mike Reno in Loverboy, and dozens of other acts in the early, EARLY 80's. Rolled up bandanna so your feathered hair stuck out, knotted in back, as opposed to the biker style which still works today, wearing the whole bandanna like a hat, knotted in back.

Dan
11-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
were not complaining were laughing !!! some of his outfits over the years are pretty funny .

Holy Shit,No Caps Lock On.:D

Nitro Express
11-14-2007, 03:26 AM
I certainly don't want Dave in his mid 50's dressing like it was 1980 again. :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEeqS7CfRMc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEeqS7CfRMc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

kastco
11-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Just a Gigilo anyone?

Man I couldn't agree with you more. You hit the nail on the head. If someone is that worried about Daves cloths than they should stay off this board and go watch the fashion channel. The bottom line is Dave is singing his ass off and sounding better than even I expected and I think he has sounded great the last few years. The bitches that are complaining are the same ones who said this tour wouldn't last a week In reality the tour is getting stronger by the day. They're already setting dates well into 2008. If you're worried about cloths than go over to spammys site and drool over his yellow knickers. Good post Vinnie Velvet

bueno bob
11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I certainly don't want Dave in his mid 50's dressing like it was 1980 again. :D

It would be kinda cool, though...c'mon, admit it... :D

diamondsgirl
11-15-2007, 09:44 PM

I think I saw Lounge attempting a backbend years ago...when he was still playing bass for Love and Rockets. :D

Nickdfresh
11-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by FORD
If you have a problem with Dave's "matador jackets", go see Bette Hagar in his second hand surgical scrubs....

http://s.yottamusic.com/i/acKm.6UbC

More like gay nurse scrubs...

Drumvike
11-20-2007, 09:47 AM

Now this reminds me of a quote I once made regarding commercial television: It's drama being broadcasted by drama stations with way too many diapers-tampons-peanutbutter-dramablocks inbetween aformentioned broadcasted drama! ;-D

(Gotta inform you peeps though that me, coming from Netherlands, actually remember a time when we had 2 (!!) public TV channels and NO commercial TV, so when the first commercial TV stations came and all of a sudden we got commercial blocks right in the middle of your fav show...well, let's say that 'instant shock' doesn't even cover half of the public reaction at first LOL)