PDA

View Full Version : Mukrazy Reopens Wiretapping Probe !?!?

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Mukasey promises independent justice
By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Attorney General Michael Mukasey pledged to evenhandedly apply the U.S. Constitution on Wednesday as he takes over a Justice Department accused of trampling on civil liberties to fight terrorism under his predecessor.

Just days after Mukasey was confirmed by the Senate last week and began work, the Justice Department said it was proceeding with an investigation into a warrantless domestic wiretapping program launched by President George W. Bush after the September 11 attacks.

Many Democrats have called the program illegal and unconstitutional, and a federal court ruling against it was overturned on appeal. But Bush had stalled the department's probe by refusing to grant security clearances for investigators.

The Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility told Congress on Tuesday that "we recently received the clearances and are now able to proceed."

Democrats in control of the U.S. Senate voted heavily against Mukasey's confirmation last week, but failed to block it. Opponents cited concerns over Mukasey's ability to maintain independence from the White House on issues such as the legality of tactics in the war on terrorism, including the simulated drowning interrogation technique known as "waterboarding."

Mukasey said at a ceremonial swearing-in on Wednesday he wanted to go beyond his formal oath and offer a pledge: "To continue to protect the freedom and the security of the people of this country and their civil rights and liberties through the neutral and evenhanded application of the Constitution and the laws enacted under it."

Bush also spoke, saying Mukasey "must ensure that we do everything within the law to defend the security of all Americans, while at the same time protecting the liberty of all Americans."

Mukasey succeeded longtime Bush friend Alberto Gonzales, who resigned amid charges he had overly politicized the Justice Department and lied to Congress. Continued...

continued at : http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1418620720071114

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Is this a head fake ?

Is this in hope it keeps the Dems from pushing the Torture Debate?

I would have thought he would have spent the next 6 months redecorating and filling the 80% vacancy rate in DOJ positions...

WTF?

Nickdfresh
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Dupe: http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51289

Hyman Roth
11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Its a headline grab for PR. Its fodder for right-wing talk-radio hosts and Fox News to spin their web of woefully thin deceit. Bush knows with Mukasey as the AG (like Gonzales before him), if the AG's office bumps into real evidence of any more serious atrocities, the same may be shredded, post haste. Bush probably wants Mukasey to see what's under all the stones yet to be unturned, anyway. :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Hyman Roth
Its a headline grab for PR. Its fodder for right-wing talk-radio hosts and Fox News to spin their web of woefully thin deceit. Bush knows with Mukasey as the AG (like Gonzales before him), if the AG's office bumps into real evidence of any more serious atrocities, it can be shredded. Bush probably wants Mukasey to see what's under all the stones yet to be unturned, anyway. :rolleyes:

Probably right.

Jim Shetterlini
11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I propose to figure out a way to wiretap or eavesdrop on a good waterboarding session and then jam it onto al-jazeera propaganda network, I think we could put all of this terrorism, torture, illlegal wiretaps to fuckin rest. MAN I would be all For it. In fact, Shetterlini for President!!!! Let's balance the ticket: Lounge will you.....ah nevermind.

Jim Shetterlini
11-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Its a headline grab for PR. Its fodder for right-wing talk-radio hosts and Fox News to spin their web of woefully thin deceit. Bush knows with Mukasey as the AG (like Gonzales before him), if the AG's office bumps into real evidence of any more serious atrocities, the same may be shredded, post haste. Bush probably wants Mukasey to see what's under all the stones yet to be unturned, anyway. :rolleyes:

Or could it be an even better conspiracy: Schumer and Feinstein got him through the "process" working behind closed doors with Mukasey, so they can get all the "goods" on Bush to bring him down. Only to find out as we all have known for about 3 yrs now is that the only wiretapping that has been done was with incoming calls from known terrorist hotbeds overseas.......The plot thickens!!!

Nickdfresh
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I should have closed this fucking dupe thread! :mad:

Lounge, why are you avoiding my question?

Nickdfresh
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM

The funny thing is, this could bite his ass like Nixon's was bitten on the hand he was feeding with...

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The funny thing is, this could bite his ass like Nixon's was bitten on the hand he was feeding with...

weird.

I keep thinking about all of the parelells between Nixon/Ford/Carter and where we're headed now...

It just seems like we're about to revisit recent history.

On a side note, John Dean has been a fucking GOD SEND lately.....

Brilliant guy.

:gulp:

Hyman Roth
11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
Or could it be an even better conspiracy:.......The plot thickens!!!

lol...that's pretty thick! But is that all the wire-tapping that was done? You sound pretty confident (in a humorous way) ;) .

sorry - I wasn't sure where to post. If there is any question, I usually go with the thread with the most recent activity.

It does seem this Administration has a tough time learning lessons from recent history and a penchant for political irony, eh?

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 05:50 PM

LMAO

Yeah, sorry I missed your original thread.

To answer your question...... I dont know. :cool:

I wanted to trust Shumer, as I like the guy.

But I just can't help but think King George is playing a game of 3 card monty with this Mukrasy guy.

You know him better than anyone of us. What do YOU think about him?

Obviously WarPIG is onboard with him, which makes me want to buy canned goods. :(

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM

sorry - I wasn't sure where to post. If there is any question, I usually go with the thread with the most recent activity.

Nah, anytime I dupe Nicky, go with my thread.... :D

Nothing pisses him off more. ;)

Remember when the US Marshal shot the passenger in Fla?

Nicky and I were like AP / UPI trying to beat each other to the thread. :D

But I won. :cool:

LoungeMachine
11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
Or could it be an even better conspiracy: Schumer and Feinstein got him through the "process" working behind closed doors with Mukasey, so they can get all the "goods" on Bush to bring him down. Only to find out as we all have known for about 3 yrs now is that the only wiretapping that has been done was with incoming calls from known terrorist hotbeds overseas.......The plot thickens!!!

You are now an official Left-Wing Moonbat.

Congrats.

Your jacket will be shipped 4-6 weeks.

Hyman Roth
11-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
LMAO

Yeah, sorry I missed your original thread.

To answer your question...... I dont know. :cool:

I wanted to trust Shumer, as I like the guy.

But I just can't help but think King George is playing a game of 3 card monty with this Mukrasy guy.

You know him better than anyone of us. What do YOU think about him?

Obviously WarPIG is onboard with him, which makes me want to buy canned goods. :(

http://i12.tinypic.com/86rrojn.jpg

:cool: