PDA

View Full Version : The FBI Crime Lab May Have Put Innocent Behind Bars

Nickdfresh
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Legal groups to probe FBI bullet forensics
Published: Nov. 19, 2007 at 7:28 AM

WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- The FBI's use of discredited bullet-matching forensics will be investigated by two independent lawyers' groups, The Washington Post reported. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/15/DI2007111501575.html)

The announcement came after CBS News and the Post reported Sunday the agency had been using a technique of matching fired and unfired bullets up until two years ago, which was found to be scientifically flawed.

Late last week, the FBI said it would conduct an internal review of prosecutions and search for any convictions that might have been made based on bad evidence. After Sunday's report, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Innocence Network announced New York defense attorney Barry Scheck would spearhead the independent probe.

"We are going to conduct our own vetting process and try to get down to the cases where there might be injustices," Scheck told the Post.

Scheck's Innocence Project has helped free more than 200 wrongly convicted defendants since the early 1990s using DNA and other forensic evidence.

© United Press International (http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/11/19/legal_groups_to_probe_fbi_bullet_forensics/5271/). All Rights Reserved.

Baby's On Fire
11-19-2007, 06:33 PM
People like Barry Scheck are real heroes.

He is a lawyer decent human being first, and a lawyer second. He's not cashing in, just doing the right thing, probably for what amonts to a massive pay cut over what he could be making if he were a typical blood sucking lawyer.

FORD
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
If I heard correctly on 60 Minutes, the FBI began this now proven-false practice of lead matching when they were trying desperately to link Lee Harvey Oswald to the murder of JFK.

Now that the process has been proven ineffective, will it open up the books on the assassination once again.

Well.... not NOW, of course. But maybe when we get a non-BCE head of the FBI??

Nickdfresh
11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't know much about it, but if JFK was only hit by Mannlicher Carcano 6.5mm ammunition, I doubt it matters all that much...