PDA

View Full Version : VAN HALEN, JUDAS PRIEST Rumored For SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL

DLR'sCock
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
VAN HALEN, JUDAS PRIEST Rumored For SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL - Nov. 20, 2007

VAN HALEN and JUDAS PRIEST are among the bands who are rumored to be playing next year's Sweden Rock Festival, set to take place June 4-7, 2008 in in Sölvesborg, Sweden. It should be noted, however, that neither of these acts has been officially confirmed for the event and their possible participation in the festival should be treated as nothing more than speculation.

The organizers of the Sweden Rock Festival will announce the first 20-25 bands confirmed for next year's event during the kick-off party on November 24 at Tyrol in Stockholm. The party will be broadcast live on the Stockholm radio station 106.7 Rockklassiker beginning at 7:00 p.m. local time and will be available for streaming worldwide via www.rockklassiker.se.

This year's Sweden Rock Festival kick-off celebration will feature performances by GOTTHARD, SABATON and HAZY/DIZZY. In addition, a one-off all-star band has also been put together featuring:

Uli Jon Roth (SCORPIONS, ELECTRIC SUN) - Guitar
Mark Boals (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, RING OF FIRE) - Vocals
Mats Levén (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, AT VANCE, THERION) - Vocals
Liz Vandall (SAHARA, Uli JON ROTH) - Vocals
Janne Stark (OVERDRIVE, BALTIMOORE) - Guitar
Ule Ritgen (ZENO, ELECTRIC SUN, FAIR WARNING) - Bass
Thomas Broman (ELECTRIC BOYS, JOHN NORUM, 21 GUNS) - Drums

The group will perform vintage SCORPIONS and ELECTRIC SUN material, along with other "nice surprises."

(Thanks: MelodicRock.com)

Vinnie Velvet
11-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Fuckin' A!

BITEYOASS
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
It sucks that we can't get any decent fuckin rock festivals in the US. :mad:

DavidLeeNatra
11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

binnie
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Come to the Fuckin' UK!!!!!

You BASTARDS!

VAiN
11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Pretty cool, but VH doesn't belong in that line up... it's a bunch of crap bands. How about that 'all star' band?
Here's to hoping they headline.

saint
11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
HEY, Sammy Hagar headlined 2005. Cool If The Mighty came and restored som cred.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
It sucks that we can't get any decent fuckin rock festivals in the US. :mad:

They tried to at Woodstock '99, but of course that turned into a looting and raping fest....

You'll never see anything resembling that again....

Certainly nothing as magical as Heavy Metal Day at the US Festival...

binnie
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
That's a pretty standard metal festival line-up on the European continent. Lots of very METAL bands! A good mixture of older and newer bands....

saint
11-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by VAiN
Ehh... maybe I'm picky... 85% of the bands listed are crap to me.

That leaves 15% and that’s about what you have time for in between you have to drink and meet the ladies. The good thing is that there are 15% none crap for everybody, there is a wide range of bands from the likes of Journey to Entombed. But if Van Halen comes 2008 that alone is worth the ticket.

BITEYOASS
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
They tried to at Woodstock '99, but of course that turned into a looting and raping fest....

Certainly nothing as magical as Heavy Metal Day at the US Festival...

That reminds me, I need to put on my list of things to do: Kick Fred Durst in the nuts! :D

bueno bob
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

It's unfortunate...there could be extremely cool festivals going on in the U.S., such as there are in Europe, but because of the Woodstock II corporate nightmare fuckall sponsored by Pepsi and Nike :rolleyes:, 90% of my favorite bands rarely (if ever) set foot on American soil to tour anymore because there's FAR too much money playing festivals overseas then to try and have a succesful tour with all the fucking one hit wonder artists dominating the radio/retail/promotional market over here.

Thus, no festivals (which COULD pay off big time for everybody), rock/metal bands can hardly tour here succesfully anymore by themselves, and meanwhile Miley Cyrus outsells Van Halen by a margin of 6 to 1, at least.

No wonder rock and metal are fucking dead in the U.S. The record companies killed them.

rustoffa
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Farm Aid has turned into a complete snoozefest. Anyone with half a fucking promotional brain should have booked VH. Stay with me....breathe some new life into a beaten to death premise! Is it still Willie's gig?

That's exactly my point.

All these fucking festivals are spoon-fed crap. Metal....Bonaroo...Lollapaloser.

I remember reading a review about Radiohead playing Bonaroo. Who in their right fucking mind is gonna wanna watch that after a day filled with Gwen Stefani and a buncha neo screamo?

Holy fucking shit....The Police headlined Bonnieroo this year, right? Lemme guess, Dave Matthews sat in during an acoustical performance of one of Sting's solo songs. This is after a full day of all kinds of pure shit.

The concept of a metal fest is way better. Just keep it to three bands. Opeth, Mastodon, and Lamb Of God. There ya go....everyone's happy at the end of a 6 hour day.

IMO, this version of VH should be left to it's own devices.....

And probably will be.
:)

jharp84
11-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Fuckin' A!

Dude! FUCKIN A!!!! Gotsta have AUTHORITY MO-FRAIL! :)

Panamark
11-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Halen, Priest and Zep are the reunions I most
want to see. Seperately or in a festival, I'm not fussed,
just want to see it !!

binnie
11-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Halen, Priest and Zep are the reunions I most
want to see. Seperately or in a festival, I'm not fussed,
just want to see it !!

You ain't missing much with Priest, they were dogshit when I saw 'em. Took themselves WAY too seriously. The only concert I've ever been too where people were actually leaving in significant numbers after about 20 minutes. Crushingly disapointing.

naturochem
11-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by binnie
You ain't missing much with Priest, they were dogshit when I saw 'em. Took themselves WAY too seriously. The only concert I've ever been too where people were actually leaving in significant numbers after about 20 minutes. Crushingly disapointing.
Thats surprising... :confused:
Can you elaborate further?

Panamark
11-21-2007, 05:31 AM

Rob Halford can still sing and KK and Tipton can still
play.. That would be enough for me, they have a
catalog as big (if not bigger) than CVH....

I couldnt give a toss if they were all serious...
I dont particularly want em tickling each other
whilst playing "Screamin for Vengeance" or some
other equally killer metal classic..

binnie
11-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Rob Halford can still sing and KK and Tipton can still
play.. That would be enough for me, they have a
catalog as big (if not bigger) than CVH....

I couldnt give a toss if they were all serious...
I dont particularly want em tickling each other
whilst playing "Screamin for Vengeance" or some
other equally killer metal classic..

Sorry, I didn't explain what I meant. They believed their own hype, especially Halford who seemed to think that this was the equivalent of The Beatles reforming of something. When you have a guy singing about "metal" and "robots" it has to be done in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way, and that wasn't the impression I got at all: it was all done with quite a pretentious tone.

Halford can certainly still sing: he struggled at times, but that's forgivable for a guy in his mid 50s. However, watching him getting boosted around the stage in a giant metal life was laughable: the reason that the VH reunion is great is because those guys have accepted that they are 50 and not 25, Dave is not wearing spandex, he's not trying to things his body can no longer do as well; but Halford and co were dressed like they were in 1984, and had a similar stage set, and it made them look a little old and foolish, it lacked class.

Whilst they can all still play exceptionally well, they had a shitty sound which was all distorted. It wasn't all bad: "Victim of changes" and "Beyond the Realms of Death" were worth the price of the ticket. Don't get me wrong 'Mark, I LOVE Priest, they are one of my favourite bands, and all time metal greats - but I was sorely disappointed with the spectacle on display, which I can only describe as being like a bad pantomime. I saw Maiden on their last tour and Priest couldn't hold a candle to 'em, plain and simple.

Vinnie Velvet
11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
The Priest show I saw in '05 was fucking great.

Maybe it was an off night.

Oh and as far as Preist's look goes, they'll never change that.

Hell Bent for Leather!

DLR'sCock
11-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I saw Priest in 2004 on Ozzfest and in 2005 on thier own and they were fucking awesome.

Binnie, I don't know if you know this, but Priest have always been very serious about thier performance, it's just who they are, I saw them in 86, 88, and twice in 90, and in 91, they always perform the way they do.....look at the old footage.

Some people enjoy the show of the band being Metals Gods.

It's just a show, and not abotu being arrogant.

Sorry your sound was bad.

I also saw Halford on the fight tour in 92 and Halford opening for Maiden in 2000.

I also saw Priest in 98 with Ripper and in 2002 with Ripper.

DLR'sCock
11-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Iron Maiden at this point are playing on a level better than most perhaps every live act out there.

I think Iron Maiden are the live touring band out there, and Bruce sounds great live.

The only thing is, they should overdub the vocals for the live recordings, it doesn't translate as well.

BITEYOASS
11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
No wonder rock and metal are fucking dead in the U.S. The record companies killed them.

So let's kill the record companies by purchasing only stuff from bands we give a shit about, buy used from local record stores and most of all PIRACY!!! :D

binnie
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Oh and as far as Preist's look goes, they'll never change that.

Hell Bent for Leather!

I agree entirely, I don't think that they should change their look entirely, but it looked a lot like self-parody to me. And I wasn't alone, people were actually leaving in disgust where I was (maybe because of the sound.) It was the ridiculous lift that Halford kept getting in and out of that was silly....

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
I saw Priest in 2004 on Ozzfest and in 2005 on thier own and they were fucking awesome.

Binnie, I don't know if you know this, but Priest have always been very serious about thier performance, it's just who they are, I saw them in 86, 88, and twice in 90, and in 91, they always perform the way they do.....look at the old footage.

Some people enjoy the show of the band being Metals Gods.

It's just a show, and not abotu being arrogant.

Sorry your sound was bad.

Maybe it was an off night, or maybe it just didn't do it for me (my expectations may have been too high...)

I recognize that they've always taken their performances seriously, but there was a little bit of believing their own hype I think. I remeber thinking "you're signing about robots for Christsake, it's not fucking Wagner!"

Still love Priest though, always will. Maybe my expectations were just too high, or maybe it was an off night. I dunno, most of the reviews were positive and I accept that I am in the minority.

Coyote
11-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
VAN HALEN, JUDAS PRIEST Rumored For SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL - Nov. 20, 2007

VAN HALEN and JUDAS PRIEST are among the bands who are rumored to be playing next year's Sweden Rock Festival, set to take place June 4-7, 2008 in in Sölvesborg, Sweden. It should be noted, however, that neither of these acts has been officially confirmed for the event and their possible participation in the festival should be treated as nothing more than speculation.

Lord/Satan/your favorite deity, make it happen!

J Curling
11-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Being Swedish, I'll tell you why Van Halen does NOT belong at Sweden Rock Festival:

It's a Metal/Hard Rock Festtival in the middle of nowhere. The audience are all about leather jackets and jeans vests with band patches. There's nothing of the Van Halen spirit there.

This was my worst fear, and that's also why I flew in for the premiere in Charlotte. That VH spirit canot be found in Sweden. Sorry.

I don't see Van Halen as a classic rock band. Most of VH's material still stands out as interesting and musically innovative. It's BIG ROCK hey.

The only venue worthy of Van Halen is the Stockholm Globe Arena in the capitol of Sweden. That's where all big bands go. That's where Springsteen or U2 would play...

Well if it'll be at the SRF I guess I'll just have to go anyways.. By the way, Sweden can be cold as hell a June evening... I have been freezing on many festivals that time of the year. No Cali spirit.. But, OK, it's still VH.. Happy I went to the US!

J Curling
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Btw Bueno Bob, you have stellar picture material in your posts, love it :-)

jero
11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by J Curling
Being Swedish, I'll tell you why Van Halen does NOT belong at Sweden Rock Festival:

It's a Metal/Hard Rock Festtival in the middle of nowhere. The audience are all about leather jackets and jeans vests with band patches. There's nothing of the Van Halen spirit there.

Van Halen dealt with that before and allways won

Coyote
11-21-2007, 05:04 PM

No problem. That spirit has the potential to spread like a virus.

And if your jävle countrymen don't get it, that's more reinforcement to the stereotype... :D

Shaun Ponsonby
11-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Am I the only person who enjoyed the Priest tour?

I'll admit that the Scorps overshadowed them a bit, though...

saint
11-21-2007, 08:34 PM

I really don’t think that there will be any lack of spirit, Dave pulled it of on his own a few years’ back and fronting the mighty Van Halen it will be awesome. Of course Van Halen aren’t as big over seas as they are in the US. But if they come (and I have to see them up on that stage before I believe it), I’m sure they would do just as great as the last time in 1984 at Monsters Of Rock. Maybe even better, Dave’s more laid-back stage persona I think will work even better with the festival crowd.

This was my worst fear, and that's also why I flew in for the premiere in Charlotte. That VH spirit canot be found in Sweden. Sorry.

Lets just hope Van Halen can bring some then, We sure need it, SRF need it. Especially since they let Sammy headline 2005.

That being said I don’t think it’ll match some 20 000 screaming fans at MSG, so I’m glad I got to experience that.

I don't see Van Halen as a classic rock band. Most of VH's material still stands out as interesting and musically innovative. It's BIG ROCK hey.

The only venue worthy of Van Halen is the Stockholm Globe Arena in the capitol of Sweden. That's where all big bands go. That's where Springsteen or U2 would play...

There aren’t that many hardcore classic Van Halen fans left in Sweden. Sammy Hagar really ruined the band and it’s reputation here in Sweden. The change of spirit that ass clown brought to Van Halen didn’t sit too well with the Swedish fans. And they haven’t played here since 1984. The return of the real Van Halen with Roth fronting hasn’t got that much press. So I’m not sure that Van Halen would sell out Golben.

I’d rather see them do there own thing in Ullevi or Globen, but if SRF is what we gonna get, then I’ll be there.

Well if it'll be at the SRF I guess I'll just have to go anyways.. By the way, Sweden can be cold as hell a June evening... I have been freezing on many festivals that time of the year. No Cali spirit.. But, OK, it's still VH.. Happy I went to the US!

Eddie shirtless in early June, he’ll have to scissor-kick throughout the entire show to keep warm.

Antman
11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Sans VH, this festival is a real suck fest.

bueno bob
11-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
So let's kill the record companies by purchasing only stuff from bands we give a shit about, buy used from local record stores and most of all PIRACY!!! :D

By and large, I have ZERO problems with that... ;)

binnie
11-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Am I the only person who enjoyed the Priest tour?

I'll admit that the Scorps overshadowed them a bit, though...

The Scorps were definately stronger.

However, I think that I am in the minority for NOT liking the Priest tour: nearly all of the reviews were positive, and everyone I know who went loved it.

So maybe I'm just a grumpy cunt :)

Shaun Ponsonby
11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

I hate to sound like an arrogant "I know more about your home country than you do " kind of cunt...but didn't Meat Loaf play this year?

If Meat Loaf can play a festival with an audience that are all about leather jackets and jeans vests with band patches, then I'm pretty sure VH can.

Also, I seem to recall Dave playing the festival in 2004 (unless I'm much mistaken, which is very possible), and Spammy playing in 2005...

saint
11-23-2007, 07:12 PM
The fat unnameable one headlined in 2005 Dave played there in 1999

Dan
11-23-2007, 07:30 PM

So maybe I'm just a grumpy cunt :)

:D

J Curling
11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Ok, 20 minutes to the announcement of the headlining band... I'll post it here...

J Curling
11-24-2007, 05:48 PM
These bands have just been announced for SRF:

JUDAS PRIEST (UK)
BLUE ÖYSTER CULT (US)
SAXON (UK)
ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA (UK)
TESLA (US)
AT THE GATES (S)
DERRINGER BAND (US)
HAVANA BLACK (FIN)
THE BLUES BAND (UK)
MINISTRY (US)
CARCASS (UK)
COHEED & CAMBRIA (US)
HENSLEY/LAWTON & LIVE FIRE (UK)
DARE (UK)
ULI JON ROTH (S)
SHAKIN' STREET (FR)
GOTTHARD (CH)
MUSTASCH (S)
SABATON (S)
BONAFIDE (S)
LIZZY BORDEN (US)
AXEWITCH (S)
ASTRAL DOORS (S)
VOLBEAT (DK)
NEGATIVE (FIN)

J Curling
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Ok, read some replies to my post on the festival. To clarify. Sweden Rock Festival is imo a great festival for hard rock. And if VH would play there, they would certainly deliver and bring their spirit to the festival. No doubt.

I just feel that Van Halen is about more than hard rock, Dave has said it a milion times and I agree. When I saw Van Halen now in Charlotte and Greensboro I knew that I was right. In the US it's about a party an attitude, a full night out, the soundtrack of the college days, the songs comin' out of the pick up truck in the drive in.. smiling faces... It was 50/50 guys/girls.. pure fun with a lot of confidence and most and foremost magic music.

At SRF I would guess 80% are men and 20 girls, and it's just not the same. But what the hell, I would be there if VH played it...

Roth N ROll!