PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

David Lee Rocks
11-29-2007, 09:01 AM
according to www.melodicrock.com looks like Zeppelin is on the next cover!! www.rollingstone.com

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?

Vinnie Velvet
11-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?

True, however, I can half understand why they are taking this stance and IMO it has nothing to do with keeping Dave's mouth shut.

See, the Van Halen brothers have said a lot of bullshit over the past 22 years, since the breakup of CVH. Whether it was saying how great Sam is to the band in 1986 to saying how great it is to have Gary in the band back in 1998.

All bullshit.

So much has been said in the press, good or bad, I just think that the whole band, DAVE INCLUDED, decided that they wouldn't be doing any press 'cause you know they will be asked stuff like:

- Mike
- Sam
- The breakup in '85
- the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

Everything they say regarding those things will be scrutinized in a way that Dave, Ed and Al just wouldn't win. People would be like, "oh they are bullshitting the fans again with all this stuff about how they are getting along better than they have been."

They said what they wanted to say at the Press Conference and that's it.

As far as this tour goes.

Now if they were to promote a new album, then yeah, they'd have to do more press.

binnie
11-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Didn't the Halen's refuse to do any press in 2004? Probably just the same policy again - ie, "we can't be bothered with the hassle...".

If they have an album though, they will probably need the press. It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?

VAiN
11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway.

David Lee Rocks
11-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by VAiN
I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway. exactly

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
And, for me, as a fan, yeah, I want to see and read about the band in the rock mag of record, no matter how lame it is these days (political reporting can be solid at times, otherwise, yeah, it reeeeally can be drek).

Would it affect ticket sales? No, sold out is sold out. Might it make the difference in terms of if I buy the hat to go with the t-shirt, or to whet my appetite even more for an upcoming album or DVD? You bet.

David Lee Rocks
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
they dont need em. they are getting lots of press in Dallas after announceing the second leg, Radio and the newspaper have gone bonkers talkin about this show

Vinnie Velvet
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by binnie

It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?

I don't think that is the case based on the Press Conference where Dave was leading the charge as he did in the old days.

That was a very different scene compared to the 1996 MTV Awards appearance.

Also, when the tour plans were announced in February of this year (before it was postponed due to Ed's rehab stint), Dave did an interview with Rolling Stone, talking about the new tour and the RARHOF.

Vinnie Velvet
11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.

I see your point.

Maybe Dave doesn't care about being on the cover of RS as he may have once did (he made the cover by himself in '85).

The tour has been a huge success regardless.

And maybe that's what lies in the power of CVH. Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.

Polk High
11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.

Well said, let the playing do their talking

bantonelli
11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
.....and besides, Dave answered all the "IMPORTANT" questions on everyone's minds at the Press Conference.

An Interview by the media can only bring up negative crap and not focus on the success of the tour.....the band wants to stay POSITIVE.

Whether or not Dave is staying low-key due to an agreement with the Sisters, who cares? These guys are making $1.5 million a pop per concert....I'd stay quiet too.

bueno bob
11-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, I can see both sides of the argument, but The Beach Boys don't do any press when they go out and tour, either. I honestly think the reason Miley Cyrus is kicking their ass nightly boils down to the fact that they're not doing any press out of fear of being asked tough questions. I think those tough questions SHOULD be asked and I think the Van Halens oughta step up to the plate and answer them. Were they doing press, answering questions and getting themselves "out there", so to speak, I might be more positive that this thing is going to stretch out long term.

Personally, and I may be Mr. Negativity here, but I don't think it bodes well for the future at all. As it stands, I'm still calling it as I see it - a greatest hits tour cash grab that's not going to go the distance and will implode as soon as the tour's over. Ed & Al will slip back into obscurity, Dave will go do something on TV and Wolfgang (surprise) will have a foot up in the music industry.

A blurb on their website? A press conference in a hotel lobby? A no show at the RNRHOF by anybody that mattered? Now saying "No" to the RS cover? Saying "No" to interviews and/or promotion at all?

This is not how Van Halen does business.

(Ducks for cover from the oncoming bullets...)

VanHalener
11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
... but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.

I agree with Vain about this waste of paper mag.
Most Rolling Bone-Sucking Mag issues are rags meant for ass wiping.

In turn, I disagree with EMAhole about Rolling Bone Gobbler being the "Brass Ring" and a legitimizer for the "Reunion."
What legitimizes Van Halen is Van Halen's actions, not reviews written by some over paid opinion publisher sitting at his or her desk with a deadline to meet and pages to fill.
Dave and Ed go a long way on their prowess as Rock Gods without the assistance of any one entity such as Rolling Bone Swallower. I say avoid this publication at all costs, Van Halen. Release info through some other media and leave these fucks in the dust where they belong. They didn't give you the cover before 1984, so FUCK 'EM! They cram their issues full of crap, so FUCK 'Em! Burning is too good for them! Hang 'Em High and dry, show them your asses and demand a kiss on each cheek, then snub them like they snubbed you.

I saw Van Halen in D.C. earlier this month and had the time of my life with them, but I did not see Bass Player there. Make no mistake, this is not a reunion of CVH. I loved it, but as a purest I cannot accept this tour being called a reunion. Some say Dave is Van Halen, but I have to disagree. (walking softly here) Without David Lee Roth there is no Van Halen. In contrast, should there be an absence of Eddie Van Halen there is no Van Halen. Alex, well he's a given. Not to put Wolfie or his performance down, I enjoyed his contribution, but Bass Player was in the line up from the beginning and I miss his back up vocals. There, I said it and lit the fuse.
Classic Van Halen is:
Dave
Alex
Mike
Eddie

What we have now is just like Dave said, "Three parts original." I'll continue to see Van Halen throughout this rebirth of greatness and I'll sing and rock my guts out at every show I make it to, but this cruel ass world is still denying me and all of you a CVH reunion.

I digress...

Rolling Bone Jugglers mag is a joke, much like many groups that make the cover and inside pages.

KUDOS to you VH for telling them no!

Hummarstra
11-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Rolling Stone is a worthless waste of a tree. Fuck 'em.

Coyote
11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Rolling Stone never gave VH the time of day, so why shouldn't VH tell 'em to fuck off?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Rolling Stone never gave VH the time of day, so why shouldn't VH tell 'em to fuck off?

Because it's an industry "thang". Getting the cover of RS - like winning an Oscar, or whatever - provides much, MUCH more clout. And Bob articulated very well that the band SHOULD be answering the tough questions (and how tough is it REALLY to answer "Where's Mike?", when in a matter of hours 20,000 people are going to be screaming back every lyric you've written in your life and going apeshit for you putting a hat up over your dick during the guitar break in "Dance the Night Away"?)

Say what you will about Rolling Stone - and it's ALL totally legit - it's still a means for the band to reach and communicate with the general public.

Coyote
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Say what you will about Rolling Stone - and it's ALL totally legit - it's still a means for the band to reach and communicate with the general public.

True, but it's "A" means, not "the". And it certainly ain't "the only". Savvy?

And "award-winner" don't sound as cool as "nominated for", if you ask me... Mileage may vary, though.

RogueHorseman
11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Vinnie is on the mark here, and Dave stated outright at the start of this thing that they were going to let the music do the talking and I think it serves the situation well. Sometimes the less you talk (promote), the more talk you create.

Dave knows that, and to me the marketing of this has his fingerprints all over it.

See ya at the bank, Rolling Stone, and be sure to tell the world... spread it all around that we turned you down.

LoungeMachine
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Bet Wolfie's pissed :D

binnie
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Bet Wolfie's pissed :D

His fat ass would never have fitted on the cover anyway....

:D

jero
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Now I think this is Dave's way to keep the spotlight! We won't talk to anybody, just you wait and see what we have for the near future. Now everybody is wondering why don't they wanna talk to us, what are they hiding! Dave style all the way

franksters
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
there building momentum...roth style imo.

TVGUY
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
True, however, I can half understand why they are taking this stance and IMO it has nothing to do with keeping Dave's mouth shut.

See, the Van Halen brothers have said a lot of bullshit over the past 22 years, since the breakup of CVH. Whether it was saying how great Sam is to the band in 1986 to saying how great it is to have Gary in the band back in 1998.

All bullshit.

So much has been said in the press, good or bad, I just think that the whole band, DAVE INCLUDED, decided that they wouldn't be doing any press 'cause you know they will be asked stuff like:

- Mike
- Sam
- The breakup in '85
- the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

Everything they say regarding those things will be scrutinized in a way that Dave, Ed and Al just wouldn't win. People would be like, "oh they are bullshitting the fans again with all this stuff about how they are getting along better than they have been."

Now if they were to promote a new album, then yeah, they'd have to do more press.

BINGO... Dead on correct sir!!!

LoungeMachine
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
And, for me, as a fan, .

fag.

But you're right....

and Vinnie's right....

and I'm right...........[which is all that matters]

But I also find it hilarious and ironic that spED hires his gash as the new PR Rep for the band........ and then issues a fucking GAG order as far as press is concerned.

All it would take is one fucking "this aint about your fucking hip" comment in the rags for all hell to break loose.

But back to Wolfie, every one of us at 16-17 wanted to be on the cover of RS. You just know he's thinking "fucking drama queens, first the Hall of Fame and now this"

But, better safe than sorry. Let the music speak.

They'll will be plenty of time for further sniping and backstabbing later.

:gulp:

PlexiBrown
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa319/samelowlife/17439402.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Coyote

EXACTLY !!!!

Some of you guys surprise me....

After 30 years of Rolling Stone fucking them over, it's time for Van Halen to say FUCK YOU to them !!!

LoungeMachine
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
EXACTLY !!!!

Some of you guys surprise me....

After 30 years of Rolling Stone fucking them over, it's time for Van Halen to say FUCK YOU to them !!!

Umm, for 23 of those 30 years, spEDCO did a fine job of fucking themselves over.....

Didnt need much help there :D

And now they have their shit together [relatively speaking] and they choose to snub RS out of spite ?? :rolleyes:

I dont get it personally. But then I was pissed they were such Manginas over the RNRHOF too.

Va Beach VH Fan
11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
And now they have their shit together [relatively speaking] and they choose to snub RS out of spite ?? :rolleyes:

Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying....

Like the others have said, you really don't expect them to say anything, do you ??

topjimmy1984
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Someone said dave was on the cover of Rolling Stone in 1985/ It was Spin magazine, it was their first issue, dave with the straw hat.

naturochem
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
I believe it's fairly obvious that there is some sort of agreement in place which includes the entire production team NOT doing any press whatsoever. Given the fragile history & ego's involved, AND the tour's success thus far -- hence, refuting the naysayer's IMPLOSION theories -- I believe the no press agreement was a most wise decision on band counsel's part...

Now when the issue of new material comes up, we will have an interesting dilemma indeed!!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-29-2007, 05:54 PM
VH1 will have to carve out 3 hours for that Behind The Music, that's for sure... ;)

LoungeMachine
11-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying....

Like the others have said, you really don't expect them to say anything, do you ??

Me personally?

I don't "expect" anything anymore....

But would I tell them to do the cover? yep.

But they stopped asking for my opinions long ago. ;)

Hell, I'm shocked spED didnt want to do it wearing a "Who's this Mike you keep asking about?" T-Shirt. :D

But whatever....

I like the "RS Cover Fuck You" better than the "We're not doing RS" Fuck you...

LoungeMachine
11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
VH1 will have to carve out 3 hours for that Behind The Music, that's for sure... ;)

9 part mini-series that would put Roots to shame...

Hell, 1984 alone is 3 hours.

Fairwrning
11-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by topjimmy1984
Someone said dave was on the cover of Rolling Stone in 1985/ It was Spin magazine, it was their first issue, dave with the straw hat.

Actually..it was Rolling Stone

http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c2/f3/7111_1.JPG

78/84 guy
11-29-2007, 06:11 PM
FUCK ROLLING STONE !!!

naturochem
11-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 78/84 guy
FUCK ROLLING STONE !!!
In multiple orifices...

Or would the plural be orifi(?)
:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Rolling Stone gave VH plenty of space and time in the day. One of the funniest comments Dave ever made was in an '84 article. It was the height of Born in the USA mania, and it was mandatory for the world to discuss Springsteen's shows, for their endurance, length, and excitement. The exchnage was something like this:

RS: Have you seen Springsteen's concert?

DLR: Yeah, it was great. I was very happy.

RS: Did you find it to be transcendent?

DLR: What do you mean "transcendent"?

RS: Well, was it the most awesome thing you've ever seen?

DLR: Honey, I can go to White Castle, look in the bag, and say, "This is the most awesome thing I've ever seen".

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by topjimmy1984

Wrong. Madonna was on Spin's first cover. Dave appearred within the first year to promote EEAS, and while RS gave Van Hagar their endorsement, the ethos and approach of Spin at the time was custom made for Dave (hey, Bob Guccione's kid was the publisher...you can imagine them sitting around together talking trash and doing blow, right?)

Dave was indeed on RS's cover to promote CFTH, in an interview done, I believe, by Lisa Robinson, a veteran of rock journalism, who was one of the first to promote and bring attention to the ramones and the entire CBGB/NY punk scene.

Matt White
11-29-2007, 08:44 PM
DAVE & the boys should have done the RS cover...and answered the questions.......

pussy move

And I'm DAMN sure which "pussy" made the call.....

EVH.......would he have had half the impact he had if the public knew what a raging asshole he really is?!?

Baby's On Fire
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
1. Everyone is forgetting that 10 months ago VH was going to be on the cover of Rolling Stone........so this has zero to do with any moral principles.

2. Someone needs to tell Robert Plant 1973 is over and it's time to change his hairdo. He looks like Sammy..............

rustoffa
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Fairwrning
Actually..it was Rolling Stone

http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c2/f3/7111_1.JPG

I remember that!

Anyone remember RS lambasting EVERY other Dave solo effort?

I bet Dave hates those Birkenstocking motherfuckers!!
:cool:

Baby's On Fire
11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I remember that!

Untrue. RS has labeled EEAS as one of the best rock albums of all time. They praised it.

Doesn't mean they're not douches however.

Matt White
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
2. Someone needs to tell Robert Plant 1973 is over and it's time to change his hairdo. He looks like Sammy..............

Spammy Haggis isn't a dried up dog turd under ROBER PLANT's heel..........

And...PLANT is 50+ as well...who care what he looks like?!?:confused:

rustoffa
11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Untrue. RS has labeled EEAS as one of the best rock albums of all time. They praised it.

Fuck, did they really? I'm gonna go check that list!!

naturochem
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Spammy Haggis isn't a dried up dog turd under ROBER PLANT's heel..........

And...PLANT is 50+ as well...who care what he looks like?!?:confused:
59 a few months back actually... not a small feat that he still has such a mop at that age!!

Nitro Express
11-30-2007, 01:42 AM
The Rolling Stone is published by a bunch of psuedo intellectuals who know nothing of reality, the world, or music.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I remember that!

Untrue! When EEAS first came out they praised it, and said of Vai's playing that he was, quote, embellishing on what Eddie V built.

Skyscraper got a lukewarm review (which is, frankly, more than it deserved), and after that, who even remembers?

In '86, the RS readers poll DID give Van Hagar a massive thumbs up and DLR's solo career a beating. It was that years "HOT" issue and the cover said something to the effect of "Van Halen is Hot, David Lee Roth is Not".

Still, sfw? The magazine trashed Zep for longer and harder than they ever beat up Dave or VH, and look who's on the cover now?

They should've done it

DavidLeeNatra
11-30-2007, 10:38 AM
as long as I'm afraid to read the words "baby steps..." in an interview, I'm just happy the way it is...

Baby's On Fire
11-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Fuck, did they really? I'm gonna go check that list!!

It's in the top 50 or 100 list or whatever.

I forget what number, something like # 14.

rustoffa
11-30-2007, 11:55 PM

Doesn't mean they're not douches however.

Untrue! When EEAS first came out they praised it, and said of Vai's playing that he was, quote, embellishing on what Eddie V built.

Skyscraper got a lukewarm review (which is, frankly, more than it deserved), and after that, who even remembers?

In '86, the RS readers poll DID give Van Hagar a massive thumbs up and DLR's solo career a beating. It was that years "HOT" issue and the cover said something to the effect of "Van Halen is Hot, David Lee Roth is Not".

Still, sfw? The magazine trashed Zep for longer and harder than they ever beat up Dave or VH, and look who's on the cover now?

They should've done it

What's untrue?

Anyone remember?
:confused:

diamondsgirl
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
according to www.melodicrock.com looks like Zeppelin is on the next cover!! www.rollingstone.com

and man, do THEY look old!!! :D

bru87tr
12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
you said it.

I think its a good move. although it would have been nice for fans.

All bullshit.

- Mike
- Sam
- The breakup in '85
- the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

diamondsgirl
12-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I remember that!

Yes! I hope he personally got to hang up on their ass when they called BEGGING for the interveiw.

diamondsgirl
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM

yup...fuck them and their gayass readers who prefer Hagar. :mad:

Halen High
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone, but a cover story would have been great global publicity for VH. I'm sure Dave wanted to do it. Perhaps the journalist insisted on asking the brothers too many hard questions.

bueno bob
12-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by bru87tr
although it would have been nice for fans.

Heheheh...ask Ed in one hand, shit in the other...

Redballjets88
12-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, I can see both sides of the argument, but The Beach Boys don't do any press when they go out and tour, either. I honestly think the reason Miley Cyrus is kicking their ass nightly boils down to the fact that they're not doing any press out of fear of being asked tough questions. I think those tough questions SHOULD be asked and I think the Van Halens oughta step up to the plate and answer them. Were they doing press, answering questions and getting themselves "out there", so to speak, I might be more positive that this thing is going to stretch out long term.

Personally, and I may be Mr. Negativity here, but I don't think it bodes well for the future at all. As it stands, I'm still calling it as I see it - a greatest hits tour cash grab that's not going to go the distance and will implode as soon as the tour's over. Ed & Al will slip back into obscurity, Dave will go do something on TV and Wolfgang (surprise) will have a foot up in the music industry.

A blurb on their website? A press conference in a hotel lobby? A no show at the RNRHOF by anybody that mattered? Now saying "No" to the RS cover? Saying "No" to interviews and/or promotion at all?

This is not how Van Halen does business.

(Ducks for cover from the oncoming bullets...)

hanna montana is selling out because all girls in the nation between the ages of 4 to 14 love her. I fuckin stupid. And the fact that she is on tv non stop and backed by disney. I work with kids (it sucks) and they eat that shit up. It's sickening.

bueno bob
12-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
hanna montana is selling out because all girls in the nation between the ages of 4 to 14 love her. I fuckin stupid. And the fact that she is on tv non stop and backed by disney. I work with kids (it sucks) and they eat that shit up. It's sickening.

Exactly my point. She PROMOTES herself.

"Van Halen" has not.

Thus, your difference.

Matt White
12-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
and man, do THEY look old!!! :D

LOL JIMMY PAGE is as old as my MOM:D

And...his oldest child is closing in on 40

;)Sorry Scarlet

DavidLeeNatra
12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone, but a cover story would have been great global publicity for VH.

what for? sell out sold out shows?

Terry
12-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Van Halen 2007 just doesn't need to bother with a lot of traditional press to sell tickets.

That's an old-model mentality at work.

Plus, the demand for this has been around for a long time. Specifically, the demand for Roth and EVH to be playing together onstage, which has been more than enough to overcome any fallout from Anthony's absence.

They did a press conference, announced the reunion and upcoming dates, and the rest has been taken care of by YouTube fan/concertgoer clips of various shows.

Turning down Rolling Stone these days isn't even close to the big deal it would have been twenty + years ago, even putting the bands relative standoffish nature with the mag to one side.

Fact of the matter is, Van Halen 2007 just plain don't need RS to get the visibility needed to fill arenas, so why bother?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Terry

Fact of the matter is, Van Halen 2007 just plain don't need RS to get the visibility needed to fill arenas, so why bother?

As if Led Zeppelin need the publicity??? Just do the fucking cover. It's a PRIVILEGE to be in such a position. And the publicity goes far beyond the reaches of the already existent fan-base. It resonates through the WORLD.

Look, if nothing else, it would piss the fuck out of Hagar and his fans. For that alone, wouldn't it be worth it?????

Halen High
12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
what for? sell out sold out shows?

No. They don't need any more press to sell out shows in North America, but if and when they take this show around the world then a mag like RS, with it's global readership, would help generate a lot of interest for a band whose profile has greatly diminished in many markets.

In Australia, it's almost impossible to buy a VH t-shirt, while t-shirts for bands like Kiss, GNR, Led Zep, Motley Crue, Ozzy are EVERYWHERE! You have teenagers buying them. And the only CVH stuff on the radio is Jump, Panama and You Really Got Me. Outside of their core fanbase, VH's profile here is very poor.

Some people here would still think Hagar is fronting them!!!

After the press conference there was a great burst of publicity in Oz for VH. Now it needs another shot. Mainstream print feature cover stories would be great for them to do.

Terry
12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
As if Led Zeppelin need the publicity??? Just do the fucking cover. It's a PRIVILEGE to be in such a position. And the publicity goes far beyond the reaches of the already existent fan-base. It resonates through the WORLD.

Look, if nothing else, it would piss the fuck out of Hagar and his fans. For that alone, wouldn't it be worth it?????

Hey, matters not to me if the band do the cover or not.

Part of my point is that people don't need RS to get any info about the band. Print publications are going the way of the dinosaur. In addition, why is it a privilege to currently grace the cover of Rolling Stone? Take a good, hard look at some of the people who have made the cover over the last decade; dubious honor nowadays, at best.

Far as Hagar and his fans go, I just don't give a toss. Not a hate scene. Just an indifference vibe. Got no use for him or his music. Subsequently, it matters not to me what Sammy thinks about Roth being back in the band. Wasted enough negative energy over Hagar and the whole Van Hagar vs. Van Halen nonsense. Big waste of time.

hideyoursheep
12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone, but a cover story would have been great global publicity for VH. I'm sure Dave wanted to do it. Perhaps the journalist insisted on asking the brothers too many hard questions.

I have a feeling RS needs Van Halen more than Van Halen needs

RS at this point in history. :cool:

hideyoursheep
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Van Halen 2007 just doesn't need to bother with a lot of traditional press to sell tickets.

That's an old-model mentality at work.

Plus, the demand for this has been around for a long time. Specifically, the demand for Roth and EVH to be playing together onstage, which has been more than enough to overcome any fallout from Anthony's absence.

They did a press conference, announced the reunion and upcoming dates, and the rest has been taken care of by YouTube fan/concertgoer clips of various shows.

Turning down Rolling Stone these days isn't even close to the big deal it would have been twenty + years ago, even putting the bands relative standoffish nature with the mag to one side.

Should have read that first.. :D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
12-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey, matters not to me if the band do the cover or not.

Part of my point is that people don't need RS to get any info about the band. Print publications are going the way of the dinosaur. In addition, why is it a privilege to currently grace the cover of Rolling Stone? Take a good, hard look at some of the people who have made the cover over the last decade; dubious honor nowadays, at best.

Far as Hagar and his fans go, I just don't give a toss. Not a hate scene. Just an indifference vibe. Got no use for him or his music. Subsequently, it matters not to me what Sammy thinks about Roth being back in the band. Wasted enough negative energy over Hagar and the whole Van Hagar vs. Van Halen nonsense. Big waste of time.

Good points one and all.

But think of it in terms of the Stones. jagger once commented in regards to being asked why they bother having corporate sponsorship, without it they know they can sell out the first two nights of a stadium, but whether or not the thrid night...who knows? the sponsorship gives it that extra boost.

And, fuck yeah, I would love to see them do the cover. if for no other reaosn, look who's been on it for the past several years! (Though it must be said, Vh IS presenting themselves as a nostalgia act, if for no other reason, that they're doing no new material, maintaining the same setlist night after night, etc etc. At least the Stones ALWAYS bring a new album out on the road and play a handful of songs from it at each concert.)

GreenBayLA
12-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Fuck Rolling Stone, they're irrelevent, useless, lame.

jharp84
12-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Fuck rolling stone FOREVER! When the "MIGHTY" is ready! It sure ain't gonna be a fuckin "hip-hop-d-fresh" half ass fake rock n'roll rag!

BrownSound1
12-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Rolling Stone panned Van Halen so many times it isn't even funny, so fuck them. The tour is doing just fine without any traditional press, so fuck it. Plus, there's less chance of someone's words getting twisted around and causing WWIII if they don't do any press.

Steve Savicki
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Plus, there's less chance of someone's words getting twisted around and causing WWIII if they don't do any press.
I believe there's already enough of that regarding the current political cabinet.:p

David Lee Rocks
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
most people get their news from the internet now anyways, and the day the tour was announced, it was on the cover of my yahoo page, still i would totally buy a copy of Rolling Stone If VH were on the cover!!

BlimpyCHIMP™
12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
WITHOUT NO NEW CD AINT NO NEW INTERBLABBS NKAY

SWAY IT BE
SWAY IDDIZ

DLRISVH7884
12-14-2007, 04:59 AM
In Australia, it's almost impossible to buy a VH t-shirt,

Couldn't they just buy a CVH T-shirt off the internet? I think there are a few US web sites that will ship out there.

DLRISVH7884
12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
I think it's a good idea for VH to keep it a low profile, no need to disrupted the harmony in the band!

Only good thing could come out of a Rolling Stone cover/ interview is VH recording an new album and they want to use it to increase sales by annoucing the release to general CVH fans or anyone who might want to check out!!

12-14-2007, 10:19 AM
What I don`t understand is that, Van Halen and Dave did interviews for rolling stone, this time last year, after their first rehearsal. During this tour, there has been no interviews at all. I hope this is just a ploy, to stop the press opening old wounds and stirring shit, to ensure the tour is completed. Maybe, there will be no futher press until a new album is complete.

DLRISVH7884
12-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by 113
What I don`t understand is that, Van Halen and Dave did interviews for rolling stone, this time last year, after their first rehearsal. During this tour, there has been no interviews at all. I hope this is just a ploy, to stop the press opening old wounds and stirring shit, to ensure the tour is completed. Maybe, there will be no futher press until a new album is complete.

I think this has alot to do with it!

Why fix something thats' not broken?

Halen High
12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DLRISVH7884
Couldn't they just buy a CVH T-shirt off the internet? I think there are a few US web sites that will ship out there.

True that...but walking into all these music stores, or cool underground style clothing retailers like Mid-West Trader, and seeing no VH t-shirts amongst the rows of tees for other bands......pissess me off!

Apparently VH have no distributor here.

VanHalener
12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Just a reminder

http://i12.tinypic.com/87lazyc.gif

FUCK YOU Rolling Bone Gobblers Mag.

VH has no need for your lame ass mag.

http://i13.tinypic.com/715ikjo.jpg