X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianjayy
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jun 2004

I can't afford Jack Daniels...

As Vito Corleone found he enjoyed wine more as he grew older, I've found myself acquiring a taste for Kentucky whiskey again. I drank so much Jack around my high school years that I couldn't stand the smell of it for quite a while...but some beers and a shot or two of Kentucky have been goin' down good as of late...I know Jack's the best, but it's so friggin' expensive. Jim Beam's half the price. What other brands are palatable, and aren't a waste of money?...
    Last edited by brianjayy; 11-30-2007, 12:36 AM.
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...rofileGood.jpg
  • naturochem
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2004

It's the holiday's... try Jack Daniel's Single Barrel for a truly unique experience... Every barrel sports a uniquely subtle taste difference, and bears a neckband with its rick, barrel number and individual bottling date.

The dark amber colored whiskey, though priced even higher than #7, or even Gentleman Jack, is worthy of special occasions for some, and a true requirement for others!!

CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Heaven Hill.

Sweeter Than Jim Beam And Goes Down Like Water.
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• jslav06
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2006

Carstairs, Wilson's, Or Evan Williams. Anything that cost less than ten dollars. Add to coke, and you'll never know the difference.
        http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/jslav06/pbf.gif
        I rule because I make the Rules.

Comment

• naturochem
          Head Fluffer
          • May 2004

Adding anything more than ice to good whiskey is sacrilege...
          CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• naturochem
            Head Fluffer
            • May 2004

Originally posted by jslav06
            Carstairs, Wilson's, Or Evan Williams. Anything that cost less than ten dollars.
            Per shot..?

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

JIM BEAM!

Smoother than Jack at a better price. Best when straight from the bottle in a shot glass at room temperature. (I hate my whiskey chilled, it waters it down)

None genuine without my signature...James Beam
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by naturochem
                Adding anything more than ice to good whiskey is sacrilege...
                Can I get an Amen?
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Jim Beam Choice! Smoother than Jack and more flavor than regular Jim Beam. It's almost half the price of Old Number 7 Jack and superior to it. I do believe Jim Beam Choice is charcol filtered.

For the best cheap burbon I give the award to Ancient Age. Evan Williams isn't bad either. Both straight shoot just fine.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    Can I get an A Man?
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• naturochem
                      Head Fluffer
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      Jim Beam Choice! Smoother than Jack and more flavor than regular Jim Beam. It's almost half the price of Old Number 7 Jack and superior to it. I do believe Jim Beam Choice is charcol filtered.
                      I worked in a distillery in high school (w/ a slight age embellishment..), in fact we used to bottle Everclear, 190 proof grain alcohol (now illegal in CA).

The "Charcol mellowed" process was a crack up, we'd roll a barrel up the ramp, pull the center cork & dump the barrel through a screen containing large chunks of charcol... and with that, whiskey earned the right to include "charcol filtered/mellowed.." on the label...

I'm relatively certain the Lem Motlow family & the good folks in Lynchberg go about the "charcol mellowing" process using slightly more sophsticated methodology in the distilling of anything from the "Jack" factory...

I also like good really clean Vodka, but there's nothing like true aged, properly distilled Sour Mash Tennesee Whiskey, & IMO no mass marketed company even comes close to Jack Daniels...
                      Last edited by naturochem; 11-30-2007, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I used to drink my Jack neat...

Or if in the middle of an Aussie Summer, you had to
                        add ice. We have really pure water, yet still it seems
                        wrong.. Necessary Evil, I love Jack, but not physically warm....

I dont drink it these days, sadly its a past wonderful
                        memory. Great stuff. I did enjoy Jim Bean too, Beam's
                        Choice Green label would seem a good alternative..

For something different (and maybe its cheaper in the US)
                        try some Drambui... Scotch Whiskey Liqueor...
                        Really nice to drink straight up...
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by naturochem
                          I worked in a distillery in high school (w/ a slight age embellishment..), in fact we used to bottle Everclear, 190 proof grain alcohol (now illegal in CA).

The "Charcol mellowed" process was a crack up, we'd roll a barrel up the ramp, pull the center cork & dump the barrel through a screen containing large chunks of charcol... and with that, whiskey earned the right to include "charcol filtered/mellowed.." on the label...

I'm relatively certain the Lem Motlow family & the good folks in Lynchberg go about the "charcol mellowing" process using slightly more sophsticated methodology in the distilling of anything from the "Jack" factory...

I also like good really clean Vodka, but there's nothing like true aged, properly distilled Sour Mash Tennesee Whiskey, & IMO no mass marketed company even comes close to Jack Daniels...
                          Jack Daniels is owned by Brown-Forman. A large publicly traded corporation. Jim Beam is owned by Master Brands that also owns Moen Faucet, Master Cabinets, and Titlest Golf.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Anyone that thinks Jack Daniel's is some little distillery in Lynchberg Tenn. and independently owned might be interesting in who really owns Jack Daniel's and what other brands of hooch are in the family.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

I've never thought that Jack was particuarly expensive, but given that lacohol is far more expensive in the UK anyway maybe it's all relative.

Jim Bean is a good substitute. Fuck it, any whiskey is good.

God I miss drinking....
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...