• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

CIA Destroyed Interrogation Tapes

C.I.A. Destroyed 2 Tapes Showing Interrogations

Doug Mills/The New York Times

By MARK MAZZETTI
    Published: December 7, 2007

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 — The Central Intelligence Agency in 2005 destroyed at least two videotapes documenting the interrogation of two Qaeda operatives in the agency’s custody, a step it took in the midst of Congressional and legal scrutiny about its secret detention program, according to current and former government officials.

The Sept. 11 commission releasing its report on July 22, 2004.
    The videotapes showed agency operatives in 2002 subjecting terrorism suspects — including Abu Zubaydah, the first detainee in C.I.A. custody — to severe interrogation techniques. The tapes were destroyed in part because officers were concerned that video showing harsh interrogation methods could expose agency officials to legal risks, several officials said.

In a statement to employees on Thursday, Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the C.I.A. director, said that the decision to destroy the tapes was made “within the C.I.A.” and that they were destroyed to protect the safety of undercover officers and because they no longer had intelligence value.

The destruction of the tapes raises questions about whether agency officials withheld information from Congress, the courts and the Sept. 11 commission about aspects of the program.

The recordings were not provided to a federal court hearing the case of the terrorism suspect Zacarias Moussaoui or to the Sept. 11 commission, which was appointed by President Bush and Congress, and which had made formal requests to the C.I.A. for transcripts and other documentary evidence taken from interrogations of agency prisoners.

The disclosures about the tapes are likely to reignite the debate over laws that allow the C.I.A. to use interrogation practices more severe than those allowed to other agencies. A Congressional conference committee voted late Wednesday to outlaw those interrogation practices, but the measure has yet to pass the full House and Senate and is likely to face a veto from Mr. Bush.

The New York Times informed the intelligence agency on Wednesday evening that it was preparing to publish an article about the destruction of the tapes. In his statement to employees on Thursday, General Hayden said that the agency had acted “in line with the law” and that he was informing C.I.A. employees “because the press has learned” about the matter.

General Hayden’s statement said that the tapes posed a “serious security risk” and that if they had become public they would have exposed C.I.A. officials “and their families to retaliation from Al Qaeda and its sympathizers.”

Current and former intelligence officials said that the decision to destroy the tapes was made by Jose A. Rodriguez Jr., who was the head of the Directorate of Operations, the agency’s clandestine service. Mr. Rodriguez could not be reached Thursday for comment.

Two former intelligence officials said that Porter J. Goss, the director of the agency at the time, was not told that the tapes would be destroyed and was angered to learn that they had been.

Through a spokeswoman, Mr. Goss declined to comment on the matter.

In his statement, General Hayden said leaders of Congressional oversight committees had been fully briefed about the existence of the tapes and told in advance of the decision to destroy them. But the two top members of the House Intelligence Committee in 2005 said Thursday that they had not been notified in advance of the decision to destroy the tapes.

A spokesman for Representative Peter Hoekstra, Republican of Michigan, who was the committee’s chairman between 2004 and 2006, said that Mr. Hoekstra was “never briefed or advised that these tapes existed, or that they were going to be destroyed.”

The spokesman, Jamal Ware, also said that Mr. Hoekstra “absolutely believes that the full committee should have been informed and consulted before the C.I.A. did anything with the tapes.”

Representative Jane Harman of California, the top Democrat on the committee between 2002 and 2006, said that she told C.I.A. officials several years ago that destroying any interrogation tapes would be a “bad idea.”

“How in the world could the C.I.A. claim that these tapes were not relevant to a legislative inquiry?” she said. “This episode reinforces my view that the C.I.A. should not be conducting a separate interrogations program.”

In both 2003 and 2005 C.I.A. lawyers told prosecutors in the Moussaoui case that the C.I.A. did not possess recordings of interrogations sought by the judge. Mr. Moussaoui’s lawyers had hoped that records of the interrogations might provide exculpatory evidence for Mr. Moussaoui, showing that the Qaeda detainees did not know Mr. Moussaoui and clearing him of involvement in the Sept. 11, 2001, plot.

Paul Gimigliano, a C.I.A. spokesman, said that the court had sought tapes of “specific, named terrorists whose comments might have a bearing on the Moussaoui case” and that the videotapes destroyed were not of those individuals. Intelligence officials identified Abu Zubaydah as one of the detainees whose interrogation tape was destroyed, but the other detainee’s name was not disclosed.

General Hayden has said publicly that information obtained through the C.I.A.’s detention and interrogation program has been the best source of intelligence for operations against Al Qaeda. In a speech last year, President Bush said that information from Mr. Zubaydah had helped lead to the capture in 2003 of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Staff members of the Sept. 11 commission, which completed its work in 2004, expressed surprise when they were told that interrogation videotapes had existed until 2005.

“The commission did formally request material of this kind from all relevant agencies, and the commission was assured that we had received all the material responsive to our request,” said Philip D. Zelikow, who served as executive director of the Sept. 11 commission and later as a senior counselor to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

“No tapes were acknowledged or turned over, nor was the commission provided with any transcript prepared from recordings,” he said.

1 2 Next Page » at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/07/wa...hp&oref=slogin
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Hyman Roth
    Veteran
    • Nov 2006

That's some fucked up shit right there.
    Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
      Head Fluffer
      • Aug 2007

Good! Keep interrogating and keep destroying! 6.5 yrs no attacks shows this is a winning combination.

Comment

• Hyman Roth
        Veteran
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
        Good! Keep interrogating and keep destroying! 6.5 yrs no attacks shows this is a winning combination.

Take your pick.
        Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Hyman Roth
          Veteran
          • Nov 2006

Hey, Jim, we're Americans. We don't torture people. That's what terrorists do.

And we're not supposed to destroy evidence and lie about its existence under oath. Where I come from you get in a shit-ton of trouble for doing that. You go to prison and your career is over when you do that.
          Last edited by Hyman Roth; 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM.
          Trollidillo-T

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Under BushCO, we have become everything we've despised about others since WWII.

Stolen Elections
            Preemptive Wars
            Corporate Welfare and Graft
            Torture
            Nullifying Habeus Corpus
            Warrantless Spying on own Citizens
            Leading By Fear

The Bush Administration should be labelled a Terrorist Organization

Comment

• Hyman Roth
              Veteran
              • Nov 2006

The irony is not lost on me.

And now you can add intentional destruction of evidence of the comission of war crimes.
              Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Deklon
                Roadie
                • Jul 2007

Hyman,

With all due respect, this is a much different world now. We are not fighting a country that plays by rules. If you don't accept the fact that there is a real enemy that wishes and plans for our demise, than our disagreement on policy can't even begin. I subscribe to the belief that the enemy exists and will/would try to acquire weapons to kill unimaginable amounts of Americans. If you were in charge and felt the responsibilty of protecting your citizens, I would hope that you would do everything possible to protect your country now and for the future. I don't argue that laws or previous principles have been bent or broken, but the ultimate goal for this president isn't to change everything we always have been. His goal is to PROTECT you, me, and our families. If this could be done to perfection without things such as torture, wiretapping (of people in this country corresponding with KNOWN terrorists), or a preemtive war, than it would be done that way.

In short, it is my opinion that if the president needs to break some rules and hurt some people's feelings and even go against traditional American principles (all hopefully temporary) to make the country safer now and in the future, I can be OK with that. If he is doing it unneccesarily, than I would side with you.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

hasn't beaten clinton's record of 8 years of no attacks on the continental U.S....

does it mean that clinton's tatics post 1993 were so outstanding? or is it also possible that the terrorists aren't always quite as organized as we might think?...

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Aug 2007

Good God, I don't have time for all this bleeding heart shit today You like a lot of americans on your side, seem to have forgot what started all of this. 3000 americans fucking died. So to me any and all means necessary to protect all of us including Hyman and Lounge(maybe) LOL
                    Because as we all know they will use any means necessary to KILL any and all of us at random. So as I said 6.5 yrs no attacks no americans have died from an attack. So, I will take the interrogating and waterboarding to get info which we have, over Hyman, Lounge or any of the Roth Army being killed by these phanatic fucks.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Deklon
                      Hyman,

With all due respect, this is a much different world now. We are not fighting a country that plays by rules. If you don't accept the fact that there is a real enemy that wishes and plans for our demise, than our disagreement on policy can't even begin. I subscribe to the belief that the enemy exists and will/would try to acquire weapons to kill unimaginable amounts of Americans. If you were in charge and felt the responsibilty of protecting your citizens, I would hope that you would do everything possible to protect your country now and for the future. I don't argue that laws or previous principles have been bent or broken, but the ultimate goal for this president isn't to change everything we always have been. His goal is to PROTECT you, me, and our families. If this could be done to perfection without things such as torture, wiretapping (of people in this country corresponding with KNOWN terrorists), or a preemtive war, than it would be done that way.

In short, it is my opinion that if the president needs to break some rules and hurt some people's feelings and even go against traditional American principles (all hopefully temporary) to make the country safer now and in the future, I can be OK with that. If he is doing it unneccesarily, than I would side with you.

I don't even know where to begin with this tripe.

Let me guess. You BELIEVE we're "fighting them over there so we dont have to fight them over here"

Jesus

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Good God, I don't have time for all this bleeding heart shit today You like a lot of americans on your side, seem to have forgot what started all of this. 3000 americans fucking died.
                        Is that where you think it "started" ??

Oh, boy.

That's the problem with you Ditto Heads.

Short memories.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Good God, I don't have time for all this bleeding heart shit today You like a lot of americans on your side, seem to have forgot what started all of this. 3000 americans fucking died. .
                          And what did IRAQ have to do with this?

Hmm?

This should be good.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

. So as I said 6.5 yrs no attacks no americans have died from an attack. .

American Military Casualties in Iraq

Date Total In Combat

American Deaths
                            Since war began (3/19/03): 3886 3189
                            Since "Mission Accomplished" (5/1/03) (the list) 3747 3081
                            Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03): 3426 2883
                            Since Handover (6/29/04): 3027 2555
                            Since Election (1/31/05): 2449 2293
                            American Wounded Official Estimated
                            Total Wounded: 28582 23000 - 100000
                            Latest Fatality Dec. 5, 2007

Comment

• Hyman Roth
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2006

Wanna post more...gotta run...maybe later. Peace out.
                              Trollidillo-T

Comment

Working...