PDA

View Full Version : A very interseting look on VH today

drgong
12-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Neil Zlozower among others has some pretty intersting points here:

Can Van Halen come back from mediocrity?

Rockers acknowledged as one of the best bands ever are attempting to rehabilitate their tattered image, writes Heath McCoy.
Heath McCoy, The Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, December 13, 2007
CALGARY - By all rights it should have been a shining moment for Van Halen last March when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
At last they were being vindicated, acknowledged as one of the greats by that elite club of critics and music industry highbrows who had written them off for so long as just another Los Angeles metal band -- the lowest form of hard rock trash.
Van Halen should have ruled the day. Instead they had their umpteenth meltdown. A wasted Eddie Van Halen checked himself into rehab days before the ceremony and if the legendary guitarist wasn't making an appearance, neither would his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen.
View Larger Image
David Lee Roth, left, and Eddie Van Halen are back together again after the original band was torn asunder during the 1980s in a raging battle of egos.

The band's reinstated original vocalist, flamboyant David Lee Roth, also backed out over a conflict with the Hall as to what song he was going to sing at the ceremony.
Instead, the group's likable but recently fired everyman of a bassist Michael Anthony showed up along with his pal, singer Sammy Hagar, who led the band down a commercially successful but largely generic road after Roth left in 1985.
Pop culture critic Chuck Klosterman echoed the sentiments of many a bummed-out fan when he stated: "I used to think Van Halen would have a legacy like Led Zeppelin in that Zeppelin was not critically accepted in the '70s, but a new generation of critics came of age and understood them as one of the best bands of all time. The exact opposite has happened with Van Halen."
After more than two decades of mostly lacklustre albums, infighting, vocalist firings, bizarre behaviour, and, more recently, complete inactivity, Van Halen had become a joke.
A new generation was hardly even aware of Van Halen's glory days when its high-velocity visions of endless summers, willing babes, debauched fun and belligerent optimism made their music stand out as a sort of hard rock promised land for teenage males across North America.
Van Halen's new tour then, with Roth, is the band's last shot at reclaiming their turf among rock's finest.
"(It's about) stopping the hemorrhaging," says Ian Christe, author of Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga. "It's really all about them preserving their legacy right now.
"The good ship Van Halen is in danger of becoming the Titanic and they're responding to the emergency in style. I just wish they thought about it years ago."
Rock photographer Neil Zlozower, who was a close friend of the group in its prime, as well as their unofficial photographer, is releasing a book next year called Van Halen, A Visual History: 1978 to 1984.
"I think they were one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands of the 20th century," Zlozower says. "The songs they wrote, the visuals, their sense of humour, I don't think there was any other band quite like them.
"In the David Lee Roth years that is. I think Dave is the greatest frontman that ever lived."
But today?
"This isn't Van Halen," Zlozower gripes. "It's three-quarters of the original band. I'm 100 per cent disappointed that Michael Anthony isn't with them. Michael was an integral part of that band. He did all the high harmony background vocals."
Anthony has been replaced by Eddie's 16-year-old son with actress Valerie Bertinelli, Wolfgang Van Halen. "I can see Ed wanting his kid in there ... but no one wanted that, as far I'm concerned," says Zlozower. "I look at it as Ed and Al being selfish."
But despite the skepticism that faced Van Halen as they went on the road with Roth for the first time in 23 years, the tour has been garnering rave reviews.
Even Zlozower has to admit he's liked what he's heard.

"Don't get me wrong," he says, "I saw one rehearsal at the L.A. Forum, before they left town to go on the road, and Dave probably sounded better than I've heard him in my whole life. Eddie sounded great ... and Wolfie was fine. Musically it was great, but to me there was something not right about this."
The Van Halen brothers were neurotic control junkies who micro-managed the band to a standstill in the last decade, he says.
"I hate to say it, but it seems like Ed and Al are always pissed off at someone," Zlozower says. And even though he remained close to Roth after the split, Zlozower acknowledges that being in a band with spotlight-hogging Diamond Dave had its challenges. "There's Dave, who's the greatest guy in the world, and then there's David Lee Roth," he says. "David Lee Roth can be hard to be around. (Eddie and Alex) hated him for years."
The original Van Halen was torn asunder in a raging battle of egos. Zlozower doesn't buy the public face Van Halen's putting on today that they've mended fences for this tour. "You can't fix the past," he says.
That said, returning with Roth was the only way Van Halen could regain a fraction of their former magic. "The last Van Halen tour was a monstrosity," says Zlozower of the band's acrimonious 2004 tour with Hagar and a heavily drinking Eddie at the helm. "What were they gonna do if they didn't get Dave back? Get Gavin Rossdale from Bush? That guy from Soundgarden, Chris Cornell, I heard they were looking at him. But I think Dave held the cards."
Now that Roth's back in the fold though, some say he's been tamed. "You've got three Van Halens against one Roth and I don't think he's in a position to make waves," says Zlozower.
Christe agrees.
"Roth definitely seems more subdued," he says. "You're still watching a world-class showman, but there's not as much of that animal energy anymore. I think there must be some very clear communication to him that this is not his radio show and the microphone is simply used to deliver a few lines and get into the next song."
While he's doubtful that Van Halen will be able to recapture "the fury of a bunch of frizzy-haired 20-year-olds from Pasadena," Christe believes the original band is still capable of musical magic.
"The simple route they're taking now, not talking to the press, just playing music one night after the next with minimal frills or production, I see that as very healthy," Christe says. "If that's what it takes to continue without getting in each other's hair and hating each other's guts -- I'm all for that."

The way Christe sees it, the infectious spirit of original Van Halen has nearly been forgotten, overshadowed by years of mediocrity -- after 1986, when the band essentially became Van Hagar, achieving pop success but also compromising its rock credibility.
"With Hagar, (Van Halen's fan base) moved from the corner outside the school where the kids cut class and smoked cigarettes, to the gym class. (Van Hagar) is the kind of music your gym coach puts on while you're running laps."
The Van Halen brothers also seemed to do all they could to suppress the Roth years, as if they wanted to pretend the band never existed before Hagar. It didn't help Dave's case that by the 1990s his solo career had tanked.

There was always a substantial core of rock fans who longed for Roth's return. The vaults are full of long-lost videos and live footage of Van Halen in their glory, but for years the brothers seemed determined that these treasures would go unreleased. They surfaced instead on the Internet, where they were devoured by the fans.
If it's successful, and thus far it has been, Christe says the new Van Halen tour will remind the world, and a new generation of fans, about what made this band special so long ago.
"In their first act, this band was like the sporty American version of Led Zeppelin," Christe states. "There was so much more to them (than people realize) with the shmaltz and the textures in the music. The energy was so positive and life affirming. That's what attracted people. Where do they stand today? They need a bit of refurbishment and they'll be on that Mount Rushmore of rock with the likes of (Jimi) Hendrix and Zeppelin."
Van Halen is expected to play Ottawa but a date has yet to be announced.

Here´s the link

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=989ee6ac-b023-460c-8b09-a8b7275a5f4b

drgong
12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I really hate spelling mistakes, especially my own!
INTERESTING is the word..

DavidLeeNatra
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by drgong
INTERESTING is the word..

definitaly...

12-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I don`t think Dave is being controlled by Ed and Al, regarding his stage performance. Van Halen are simply presenting themselves in a different way. They need to preserve the legacy. It`s all about the music this time. As Dave said, at the beggining of one show, "I won`t shit you about". The real test will come after the tour, when they begin to create a new studio album. This will result in creative arguments and tension.

ThrillsNSpills
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I couldn't agree with Neil more.

Would Cornell jump to be in this band? For him it would be like being in a cover band.

Does anybody think these guys will be chomping at the bit to jump into the studio after all this roadwork if they're making 1.5 mil a night?

If it WAS about the music and not the money, then why no original product after so long?

I still think this is tour is frighteningly anti-climatic after all this time.
Still I'd love a new album but christ, what are the chances of that actually taking place ?
Just some thoughts; thanks for posting Gong.

binnie
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
The author is most definitely a CVH fan - that was pretty damn accurate.

m_dixon1984
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow, there were a lot of words to read before getting to the most important part of the article..."Van Halen is expected to play Ottawa but a date has yet to be announced.".

Can't wait to see an Ottawa date confirmed. That would be fantastic!!!

M

jgdrag
12-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
Wow, there were a lot of words to read before getting to the most important part of the article..."Van Halen is expected to play Ottawa but a date has yet to be announced.".

Can't wait to see an Ottawa date confirmed. That would be fantastic!!!

M

Another road trip coming up,hopefully?

TVGUY
12-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Great read... hit the nail on the head too.

Diamondjimi
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by TVGUY
Great read... hit the nail on the head too.

My thoughts exactly.

VAN HLN CA
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Zeil ALWAYS plays it straight.

Tomorrow we do a podcast for his boo and I'm sure he's gonna have alot of cool stories and insight. It will be on eVanHalen.com in less than a week.

78/84 guy
12-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Good stuff !! I agree with Neil that something is missing. And that it is Mikey. Maybe if the band would have toured with him this time around and then replaced him on the next tour with Wolfie (if there is one) we would all be more happy because we would have seen the original band at least one more time before A change after all these years of waiting !! I still don't have A problem with Ed wanting his kid in his band it just would have been cool to see the original lineup aftr 22 years !! But I do remember Mike saying he didn't want Dave in the band again back in 96 so screw him !! GIVE ME A NEW CD AND I'LL ROLL WITH IT BOYS !!

topjimmy1984
12-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Zloz nails this current situation. dave has another book in him, he has to tell the story of how this reunion went down. Dave is one of the smartest people around, he knows they had one more shot at this, if it implodes, there is no second shot. These guys do not see eachother, I talked with a former security guard for dave, he runs a major venue now, he told me after the show, ed, al, wolf run to a van with towels around their neck, and head to the hotel or tour bus. dave sits in his own dressing room, 300 yards away from EVH room. I would love to know on day's off, do they eat together, have their been any sightings. Zloz thinks they are faking it onstage, I have seen 3 dates so far, any they look genuinely very happy.

VAN HLN CA
12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
As much as this story has it's strong opinions. Zloz points were not valid and definitely not accurate quotes. The clown writer took liberty to misinterpret and write out of context without conducting an interview.
Unfair to Zloz and in this case completely unmerited to be taken as fact.
Unless you hear it from the man it is hearsay.

Terry
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with a lot of what was said, but I don't think Roth is necessarily that much more subdued in 2007 than he's been during his last few years on the road as a solo act (the 2002 Sam and Dave tour to one side, where Dave was kinda verging on becoming a caricature of himself at times).

It is a shame that Anthony isn't there, but I must say two years ago (hell, even ten months ago) it didn't look like these guys a hope in hell of pulling this off in terms of even getting TOGETHER, much less sounding as well as they do. If it took having Ed's kid in the band to make it happen, as opposed to nothing at all. well, then sadly that is the price.

The Van Halens (Ed and Al) are still a couple of class-A dickheads in my book for letting things go as they did from 1996 onward (I'll give them a pass for 1985 to 1996; Roth bailed in 1984, and it wasn't like ALL sides weren't complicit in the back-and-forth guttersniping in the press). Fact of the matter is Roth wanted to make the reunion happen for the past decade, and the Van Halens were just plain stubborn, lazy and laden with control issues. Even lower than Van Halen 3 was the 2004 tour, which was the path of least resistance...

However, I doubt I'm gonna spend any time at the show I'm going to see being pissed off at the Van Halens for botching things up all these years; I'm gonna be happy to see and hear a great show with 3/4s of the only lineup that ever mattered (and after seeing a couple of full-length boots of the tour, I didn't find myself missing Anthony all that much, truth be told).

The key for them now is to know when to bow out. Against some pretty long odds, they've been able to put enough of the sound, lineup and spirit of the band back together in a way that will enable them to end on a positive note (unlike KISS, who just dragged out the Farewell Tour WAY too fucking long).

Timing is everything. So is knowing when to quit when you're ahead.

drgong
12-15-2007, 11:34 PM
I truly believe that had it not been for Wolfgangs pushy enthusiasm this tour would never have taken place.
I´m pretty sure that he is the only reason Ed considered hooking up with Dave in the first place for doing this tour. Wolf was - and is a HUGE CVH fan (check his myspace page since long before the tour ever was planned) and I believe that he is the the main drive behind getting back with Dave. However, I also believe that he did not push to become the next VH bassplayer, I believe he actually hoped for a Classic CVH reunion, but that his father & uncle insisted on having him on bay for all the right & wrong reasons... and name one bright 16 y/o who would say NO to a CVH tour...
This is just my personal view of the situation, seeing it all from a distance it makes sense, I might be wrong... what do you guys think?

rustoffa
12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Lemme get this straight:

A touring scenario involving Michael Anthony would have put the touring scenario over the top? Personally? I don't have the need for high level validation from any source. Alright zolowzer, you made your case regarding all the historical deep-seeded hate.

It's currently current events brougham.

Currently? Ed hates Sammy Hagar. Michael Anthony loves Sammy Hagar. This dynamic basically prevents Michael Anthony from performing with Ed.

I know, I know....LIVE NATION had nothing to do with the lesser of two evils.
:rolleyes:

In a perfect world, the original band would be performing together in perfect harmony. So much for that, eh?

Cliff notes for mass media exposure?

Shake that shit off.....go mend.
:monkey: :gun:

DavidLeeNatra
12-17-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't see dave "turned down" a single step...if I compare him with the youtubes from the last years he's just the same...but with the "real" band in his back and in front of the audience he deserves...

WACF
12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
That was a good read.

Knowing the history of this band...I would be amazed if Dave was not under some control.

Whether it be him keeping it together by holding back or from the Brothers laying out some guidlines.

From what I saw live...the band looked like they are really getting along.
I would of loved to have seen Mike there but Wolfie pulled it off good enough.

Dave and Ed are sharing smiles and having some physical contact....I just can not help but think Dave is taking one on the chin so to speak for this tour.

I guess knowing the history...it is hard to think this is sincere....and not just about making some stellar cash.

DavidLeeNatra
12-18-2007, 05:16 AM
it's showbiz...so what...

Nitro Express
12-18-2007, 05:35 AM
It seems to be working. Even with fat, zit faced Wolfie that has the stage pressence of a slug.

Antman
12-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I don't think VH ever playe in perfect harmony. Only we didn't know about it at the time. So let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts boys.

DLRdelight!
12-19-2007, 12:23 AM
one day they will play with mike again so w/e. for now lets just enjoy it for those of us who can

letsrock
12-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Well said, cant wait for MA to be back in the fold.

letsrock
01-06-2008, 07:12 AM
bump

kastco
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 113
I don`t think Dave is being controlled by Ed and Al, regarding his stage performance. Van Halen are simply presenting themselves in a different way. They need to preserve the legacy. It`s all about the music this time. As Dave said, at the beggining of one show, "I won`t shit you about". The real test will come after the tour, when they begin to create a new studio album. This will result in creative arguments and tension.

Yeah I agree with you 100%. Another thing people don't mention is the fact that Dave and the brothers aren't 30 anymore. These guys are in their fifties so they are bound to mature and slow down a wee bit. Considering theirs ages these guys astound me. I could only wish to be in the same shape as Dave at 53.

kastco
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Another thing, some seem to think that Ed and Dave getting along is just an act. I doubt it. Granted they know they need each other inorder to hope to return to any level of respect (which they are doing quite nicely) but in my opinion it has always seemed like you could read EVH like a book when he wasn't happy. It was very evident during the 2004 tour. IMO I think they have probably come to an understanding, put the shit behind them and are now friends.

saintbarry
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't care if they have Fu Man Cue playing bass,but on the next album Van Halen needs Mikes background vocals to sound like Classic Van Halen.The Classic Van Halen sound is what people want to hear!The Classic Van Halen sound is what made Van Halen the greatest rock band ever.The next Van Halen Album needs to sound like Classic Van Halen. Van Halen needs Mike to sound like classic Van Halen .

dave_is_vh
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Van Halen needs Michael Anthony like The Beatles needed Pete Best.

kastco
01-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I think everyone would agree that having MA in the line up would have been ideal but in my opinion they have proved 10 times over that the present lineup with Wolfie kicks ass and puts on a show that even the critics are saying is awesome. Some may give a shit, others like myself could care less about the MA, Wolfie situation. The bottom line is that these shows are displaying awesome musical talent all around from DLR excellent singing to the VH clan playing their asses off. All I want at this point is some studio work and the release of new material.