PDA

View Full Version : Mistrial in Sears Tower Sham

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Mistrial for six in Sears Tower conspiracy case
Thu Dec 13, 2007

MIAMI (Reuters) - A judge declared a mistrial on Thursday for six men accused of plotting to blow up America's tallest skyscraper, Chicago's Sears Tower, after a jury failed to reach verdicts on them but acquitted one other man.

The decision was a setback for the U.S. government, which had touted the arrests as an important victory in its war on terrorism. U.S. District Judge Joan Lenard scheduled a new trial for January 7 for the six.

The verdict came after the 12-member Miami jury deliberated over nine days and twice told the judge they could not agree on any of the four charges against the men, known as the Liberty City Seven after the poor Miami neighborhood where they met.

Lyglenson Lemorin, 32, described as a soldier in the plot, was cleared on four terrorism conspiracy charges including the charge of plotting to wage war on the United States.

"The jury cannot reach a verdict regarding the remaining defendants," Lenard said.

The men had faced up to 70 years in prison if convicted on all four counts, which included allegations they took an oath of allegiance to Osama bin Laden's Islamic militant group and plotted to blow up FBI offices and the 110-story Sears Tower.

At the time of the arrests in June 2006, federal agents said the group's plans were "aspirational rather than operational," and posed no real threat because they had neither al Qaeda contacts nor the means of carrying out attacks.

Defense lawyers dismissed the charges as "nonsense" and said the entire plot was orchestrated by paid FBI informants. Continued...
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1325182420071213

Deklon
12-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Congratulations Lounge....a victory for you. Curious as to why you haven't yet posted today's story about the Algiers terrorists who killed 37 people. The had been released as part of an amnesty program. I say, and I'm sure you'll agree, we should release all suspected terrorists. It's only fair.

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Care to explain what one has to do with the other?

Remember the old days when those who terrorized us were convicted and jailed/executed?

Remember Usama Bin Laden?

Remember "Dead or Alive" ?

Your cowboy pResident doesn't have much of a track record now, does he?

Deklon
12-14-2007, 02:46 PM
He sure does have an incredible track record. I'll get to that in a minute. But first, the two stories have a lot to do with each other. You choose to post the Sears tower story because it fits in to you agenda that the US Gov't led by President Bush is a bunch of fools that is "scaring" us to believe threats that aren't real. This story makes your side look good. Yet though they were unable to prosecute, the story still states they were "aspiring" to commit terrorist acts. You should be glad they are looking for guys like this.
I mention the Algiers story to show that finding and keeping potential terrorsists is not as cut and dry as you believe.

Now, Bush's track record:

1) No terrorist attacks on US soil in over 6 years.
2) Numerous attacks on US soil have been foiled by the very policies that you rant against. How about the plan to blow up several planes in mid air foiled by....read this closely...WIRETAPPING OF PEOPLE IN AMERICA SPEAKING WITH KNOW TERRORISTS OVERSEAS.
3) The capture or killing of thousands of KNOWN Al Qaeda and other KNOWN terrorists.
4) The capture or killing of many high ranking Al Qaeda LEADERS including the mastermind behind 9/11.
5) Rendering Bin Laden and his number two man virtually harmless excpet for their figurehead status.
6) Turning Libya and Khadafi in to a non-nuclear, non-threatening country.
7) Capturing, ousting, and executing Saddam. Remember him? He's the guy who EVERY intel agency in the world, John Kerry, Bill CLinton, and just about every other Democrat felt was a current or future HUGE threat to America.

Lastly, you foolish refernce to Bin Laden not neing caught yet is remarkably silly. He lives in a remote mountain area protected by regional tribes who think he is God. Yes, we almost had him and I agree we probably could have got him. Clearly a mistake. And I'm not even talking about President Clinton's failure.

Look, there is no manual or playbook that shows how to win a war against terrorism. It's a fight not yet seen by history. It's consantly changing and will continue to change. But people like you who focus solely on the parts that haven't gone perfectly, and refuse to recognize that this President is doing what he feels best tp protect YOU, and can't even recognize the many successes he's had, are the one's with no credibility.

knuckleboner
12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
i bring this up from time to time, however, are we SURE it's bush's policies that have kept us safe over the last 6 years?

because in 1993 somebody (islamic radicalists) tried to blow up the WTC, and succeeded in killing like 6 people.

we went a full 8 years before somebody attacked the U.S. homeland again.

credit clinton? or acknowledge that terror suspects are not exactly overly coordinated nor overly high in number?...

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Let's also not forget who it was FIGHTING AGAINST the forming of a Dept. of Homeland Security. ;)

I also love how Tom Ridge is now working for a firm with big contracts with the DHS :rolleyes:

The most blatantly corrupt administration in history?

Yeah, but Nixon would be a close second.

:gulp:

Deklon
12-14-2007, 03:09 PM
A classic reponse right out of the Democrat playbook. Completely change the subect! You made an argument, I shot it down with facts, and you bring up Tom Ridge. Priceless.

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 03:37 PM
LMMFAO

Yes, Dek, you shot me down with "facts" :lol:

Dude, I have no interest whatsoever debating you on this. You will never change you mind, and neither will I.

You think Bush has done wonders for this country, and I think he's the WORST president in 230 years, and has ruined our credibility in the world. Never has the Middle East been worse off.

I post my threads for my own enjoyment, not to change your mind.

History will prove one of us terribly wrong. I'm certain Bush will be remembered as the idiot son he is.

I'll "change the subject" any fucking time I want. In fact, along with Tom Ridge, I'll bring up all of the OTHER scams this administration has foisted upon you sheep if I want.

I've seen plenty of you Busheep come and go in here. You bring nothing new, trust me.

Why did we go to Iraq, again? :wtf:

Why are we DEMANDING Iraq turn over their oil to US Companies?

Why aren't we scouring Pakistan for OBL?

Don't bother. They're all rhetorical for my own amusement.

Who's on Rush and Sean today?

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Deklon

6 years post-9/11

How's our borders? protected?

How's our Nuclear plants? protected?

How's our food/water supplies? protected?

How's our ports/containers? protected?

I wonder who you'd blame if we were hit tomorrow. The Dems in congress?

What protections did the Republicans put in place in their 6 years?

Sure, they wanted ports sold to Dubai. Sure, they encouraged Halliburton to move to The Middle East. Sure they awarded no-bid contracts.

See how fun, yet pointless this is?

Check out my Meat The Press Thread. It's stickied even. :D

I'll be at the bar. :gulp:

Deklon
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Look Lounge,

I have plenty of respet for you and anyone else who pays attention, studies, and voice opinions. But why am I a "Busheep" because my study has lead me to believe much of what he's doing will prove to be successful? My opinions are well thought out and have required countless hours of study.

But the fact remains, you want to be able to post your thoughts, yet when I contradict your accuracy, you say you have no desire debating?

I don't listen to Rush or Sean, so you'l need to ask someone else. Though I agree with much of what they say, I don't care for their style and fel in many ways they are counterproductive.

Again, if you have the right to post your thoughts, I certainly have the right to counter, no?

LoungeMachine
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes, you do.

And I encourage it.

Provided that you know I'm not trying to win "internet debate camp" with you.

Hell, most Busheep have skulked away with their tail between their legs lately. Most recent casualty being Jim Shitonme.

I applaud you going down with the ship ;)

Carry on.

Blackflag
12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
He sure does have an incredible track record.

Dude, stop drinking the kool aid. It's pretty universally accepted at this point that he has been a failure in every aspect.

Deklon
12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Not at all drinking kool aid. Far from it. I have been and will continue to be critical of the President. As with all Presidents, this one has done some things right and some things wrong. Face the fact that the national media despises this man and does not report on him fairly. If you don't see that then you're on the kool aid.
My point continues to be that nobody can declare him a failure yet. What he is doing now can only be judged fairly in many years, if not decades.
With undeniable and significant progress being made in Iraq, and apparent success at keeping Iran and North Korea in check, the President's strategy MAY work. If you don't choose to believe that the future MAY be better as a result of Bush's strategy, you have that right. And I conced that history may prove that BUsh was a failure. But making that call now is way premature. If in ten or 20 years, terrorism is largely defeated, we have "democracies" in the Middle East, and the US is at peace with the world, I will argue that the loss of life and money was worth it.
Last question. Do you think Al Qaeda, Saddam, Khadafi, Iran, Syria, and North Korea think Bush has been a failure? I believe the answer is unequivacly no.

Blackflag
12-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Last question. Do you think Al Qaeda, Saddam, Khadafi, Iran, Syria, and North Korea think Bush has been a failure? I believe the answer is unequivacly no.

Are you serious? AlQaeda is is more powerful now than it was in 99. They say it has more members and their douche leader is still on the loose.

Saddam a failure? Tough call. $500 billion, 3000 US lives, and Iraq is in a civil war with no plan.

North Korea has a nuclear weapon now, and they didn't in 99.

And who really gives a fuck about the irrelevant others? You don't have to wait 20 years to determine this guy is a complete failure. Every aspect of the country is worse off. He couldn't have done a worse job if he tried.

And you're "unequivacly" a homo.

:fucku2:

Deklon
12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
"And you're uneqivacly a homo". LOL! Guess I'll stick to debating with grown ups.

Blackflag
12-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Get over yourself, douchebag.;)

Nickdfresh
12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
[B]He sure does have an incredible track record...

Yeah, an incredible track record of fucking up...

1) No terrorist attacks on US soil in over 6 years.

After the one that killed over 3000. Congratu'fuckin'lations!

2) Numerous attacks on US soil have been foiled by the very policies that you rant against.

NAME ONE!!!

How about the plan to blow up several planes in mid air foiled by....read this closely...WIRETAPPING OF PEOPLE IN AMERICA SPEAKING WITH KNOW TERRORISTS OVERSEAS.

How about getting a fucking clue? That was in the United Kingdom, and the Brits were pissed because the Admin pressured them to prematurely round up a bunch of people that had NO weapons, plans, or any real evidence of terrorist training...

3) The capture or killing of thousands of KNOWN Al Qaeda and other KNOWN terrorists.

Among the Iraqi insurgents we created while invading their country?

4) The capture or killing of many high ranking Al Qaeda LEADERS including the mastermind behind 9/11.

But only for a period of about six months after 9/11...

5) Rendering Bin Laden and his number two man virtually harmless excpet for their figurehead status.

Well he and Bush have much in common then...

6) Turning Libya and Khadafi in to a non-nuclear, non-threatening country.

HURRAY! The fascist, terrorist dictator gets off after killing over 300 mostly Americans over Lockerbie, Scotland by merely "playing balls!"

7) Capturing, ousting, and executing Saddam. Remember him?

Yup! I remember he's the guy that never sponsored a successful terror attack against Americans...

The one we sold chemical components and equipment too during the Reagan years. Praise be glory God! Freedum is on the march!

He's the guy who EVERY intel agency in the world, John Kerry, Bill CLinton, and just about every other Democrat felt was a current or future HUGE threat to America.

Orelly? Who said he was a "HUGE" threat?

Lastly, you foolish refernce to Bin Laden not neing caught yet is remarkably silly...

Dude, are you done choking on Bush's cock yet?

4moreyears
12-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Dude, are you done choking on Bush's cock yet?

I am away for a for a few months and you are still talking about sucking dick, What a homo.

Nickdfresh
12-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
I am away for a for a few months and you are still talking about sucking dick, What a homo.

Well, it brought you back...

Nitro Express
12-17-2007, 06:58 AM
I thought Bush sheep were an exctint species because of all the inbreeding.