PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen 1984 Transfusion into 2007

thome
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I have been waiting -Several Months- now ,for one of the wordsmiths around here, (University or at least High School graduated ).

To -Confligrate- the -Comparisons- to this -Sceensceen- time related discussion.

I never post in -The Main- cause ,most of what popps thru my Brain is BS.

OK ...

In the year 1984 Van Halen had a certain look and sound it was as it had allways been, Dave, Ed, Alex, Mike,and the extras that make things happen.

There were -Fans- galore and much smiling of the masses.

Then Dave left or was asked to fukk off, who really knows.

The band was split up.People were unhappy because -Things- were not as they should be.... or as -Normal- as to not disturb the wants of so many.

Dave went on to his Gig and VH had Spamuel Gror Raybar as a New Singer.

There was a big split in the fan base also.

Some said,( read this sentence well),"Fukk it, it is still Van Halen ."

That is when the big discussion began -Who is Vah Halen-," is it still a vialble VH."

With Sam.

Then Spam was out and Dave was back. (fukk all the in-between).

Is this Incanation of VH the exact same thing to so many.As the 84 split was to -ALL-

CVH is still locked in 1984 but they have a new bassplayer.

It's like the last twenty years never happend....or did it...?

Dave never left what happend was a new bassplayer was hired this is what we have now.

Would the -FAN SPLIT-(a world wide talking point of historically recorded magnitude) have been as """"Important to Music History""" as the loss of, THE FRONT MAN.

There are Haggis fans who say this is not VH because of thier Want of how it should be.

There are CVH fans who say this is not VH without MA.

Is this the healing of the original wound or is this just another Dave fronted band.?

What I am unable to relate to you is -This Wound- that was created in the fan base in 84 in anyway over?

It will never be CVH in CBGb's in 77 or Max's KC or at the US Fest.

We had (2) TWO camps in 85 do we still have 2 camps or -Are- thier a even more diverse complication of VH fans now.?

CVH ...........VHagar..........VanCherone.......VHWOLF Mode....?

Is -This Incarnation- of the band that Roth Fronted in 84 in anyway even close to what we wanted back.?

Is the SPLIT in the fans here at this board even half as Rabbid as the
Split of 84........?

Is this -ENOUGH CVH- to be called Classic Vah Halen is BACK?

This thread is not about Van Halen it's about the people who went off with Van Hagar and just brushed Roth fronted VH off.

Are the fans who say Roth was VH Happy without Mike?

If Mike was replaced in 84 and Roth -NEVER LEFT VH- would there have ever been -The Great Van Halen Controversy-.

One of the most important Musical talking points in the history of music.

Or would the ones of us who went- Violently with PASION- with Roth have simply said what most CVH fans said, Vah halen with Sam is still VH.

Are WE the ones who say Dave is back and without Mike is still VH.

Are we those guys who stayed with VH and Sam exactly the same as them .

If we are all for this -Band-are we 2007 version of the Fukk Dave crowd of 1984?

12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Michael Two Faced Anthony is Van Halen history!

thome
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 113
Michael Two Faced Anthony is Van Halen history!

Roth is Van Halen!

thome
12-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Roth and Ed -ARE- Van Halen.

thome
12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
This band is so hot who cares who is van halen .

Are we looking for it to be 1984 again?

Who here who has seen th 2007 show wouldn't want to see another?

hideyoursheep
12-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by thome
In the year 1984 Van Halen had a certain look and sound it was as it had allways been, Dave, Ed, Alex, Mike,and the extras that make things happen.
Not to me. That was when things were changing. The fans of Sam Huggies jumped on the VH bandwagon @ that time. It was a different energy prior to 1984-period. Those who came to the party late were more accepting to the downgrade. That's my opinion.

CVH is still locked in 1984 but they have a new bassplayer.
It's like the last twenty years never happend....or did it...?Locked in '84? Not quite. The balls are back, but hardly like taking a step back into the time machine. Ed just don't have it like he used to. Still better than any version since 86, however.

There are Haggis fans who say this is not VH because of thier Want of how it should be.:lol:
WHo cares what THEY think!

There are CVH fans who say this is not VH without MA. Well, it's not CVH. It's really never going to be,but it's much more digestable than being fronted by Sammy Buffet.

Are WE the ones who say Dave is back and without Mike is still VH.If the bassplayer situation happened in 85 with
DLR still up fron no one would have given two shits. But ED keeps fucking with the chemistry, and that pisses alot of CVH fans off.
I don't blame any of them for feeling that way, but whaddya gonna do?

I gotta take a dump..

thome
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Grab Me a Beer on your way back .lol

Good post.
-------------------------------------------
If the bassplayer situation happened in 85 with
DLR still up fron no one would have given two shits. But ED keeps fucking with the chemistry, and that pisses alot of CVH fans off.
--------------------------------------------

I have been searching old posts and most were deep and dark when it came to the thought of the reunion, never happening.

The last 3 or 4 months have really made me feel great.

I do feel great that these guys are really showing that with great effort, no doubt, we can't even see.

This Meld of Dave and Ed was and is no hack BS.

Being a Roth fan and seeing Ed wailing away on the same stage.

Words fail me .....

The Past is gone.

The Quality of this Tour crushes all doubt.

Terry
12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Van Halen in 1984 was still considered to be a band with a future ahead of them in terms of continued musical output with the CVH members.

1984 was also a year that the instrumentation continued to shift in subtle and not so subtle ways (Jump, I'll Wait) towards what eventually became the Van Hagar sound.

The only time I got to see the band was in 1984, and the live show was astounding in some aspects (the size of the stage production, the sheer spectacle of seeing the band who were on top of the rock heap performing live) and not so great in others (extended bass, drum and guitar solos along with a lot of lengthy Roth stage raps - a lot of self indulgence by ALL the band members, to the point where they would only do a few songs at a time live before someone took a solo turn).

Live, Ed was still at the top of his game in 1984, as far as his guitar playing went. Roth wasn't putting as much effort into his vocals as he was into his physical showmanship.

From what I've seen and heard of the 2007 tour so far, Roth is making a concerted effort to get the vocals down as best he can. The band is serving up a lot more songs and keeping the waffle down to a minimum. Ed clearly is not playing as well as he used to back in those end days of CVH, but he's playing well enough...better than I thought he was capable of. The stage show isn't over-the-top to the point of distracting from the music.

I don't really see the "band" as one with much of a future in terms of putting new music out there. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but it doesn't feel that way. In some ways it feels like a business arrangement, but the upside is the endeavour has been well-rehearsed enough to bring a pretty good bang for the buck, which is an earmark of good business practices.

These days, I don't really have much concern about what's going to happen musically for the group down the line, or what the future is going to bring. Of course, it isn't Classic Van Halen. I'll agree with anyone who asserts that era of the band is gone forever; this goes a bit beyond Anthony being there or not.

At this stage of the game, it's really a chance for the band to end it in an upbeat manner, rather than dissolving amidst a bunch of alcohol-fueled and ego-driven acrimony, which is pretty much where have been at for the last ten years among just about ALL the members of the group (past and present). Hagar and Anthony may have problems with how things ended and what the band is doing these days, but none of that really matters much anymore.

Van Halen 2007 is a chance to listen to a set full of what (to me) are some of the greatest rock tunes, ever, served up by the only less-than-total CVH lineup configuration that has been remotely acceptable since the 1985 split. In some ways, it IS settling for less, but in other ways what is happening with the group is more than I could have reasonably hoped for or expected even as recently as ten months ago...so I'm gonna get some while the gettin's good, before I can't get this stuff no more.

hideyoursheep
12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately, I had to miss the '84 tour when it came to town. I caught the daytime Monsters Of Rock (without the full set or setlist) version on Labor Day weekend in Europe behind AC/DC. Definitely not the same, I'd bet.

I'd give that post 5 stars, Terry, but it appears I already gave 'em to ya.

But I have to say, once you've seen the real deal like I did in '80 and 81, you're spoiled. It ruins any chance of accepting any other frontman in VH.

That's why we're all here.

That and the tits in BuenoBob's sig. :)

Terry
12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
The tits in buenobob's sig are quite astounding, agreed

letsrock
12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
I enjoy the spinning Ohio State helmet, just as LSU will leave them.

NATEDOG001976
12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
From the live stuff I've seen on DVD VH was a lot better in 1980 than 1984, I think. Dare I say they sound better now than they did in 1984? Yes!

Romeo Delight
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by thome
This band is so hot who cares who is van halen .

Are we looking for it to be 1984 again?

Who here who has seen th 2007 show wouldn't want to see another?

That is about it Thome.

If it sounds good, then it is good.

People not seeing the show and critisizing it for lack of a bassplayer is pretty funny actually.

bueno bob
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
75% of Van Halen just doesn't interest me, I don't give a shit who's singing or what they're playing.

But on the plus side, yes, my sigs are grate.

:)

letsrock
12-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Van Halen 1998 sounded best.

Romeo Delight
12-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
75% of Van Halen just doesn't interest me:)

Actually, more like 85-92%

bueno bob
12-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Wake me up when it's back to 100%, then. ;)

I know it's not exactly a popular viewpoint around here, but I've always been more of a "Roth Van Halen" fan than a "DLR whatever" fan. As far as my feelings about Van Halen are concerned, well...with a lot of bands, I can be forgiving about lineups, but with Van Halen, I personally think they're worth being persnickity about.

I wouldn't really care who was missing - for years it was Dave and I was very adamant about that. Now it's Mike and I find myself equally as adamant. I'd be the same if it was Eddie missing or Al missing.

Take away one aspect and the whole outcome changes - it's still the Eddie Van Halen Band.

I guess I could bake a cake without flower, but why bother?

NATEDOG001976
12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
75% of Van Halen just doesn't interest me, I don't give a shit who's singing or what they're playing.

But on the plus side, yes, my sigs are grate.

It's about Dave and Eddie.

bueno bob
12-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
It's about Dave and Eddie.

And Mike and Alex.

letsrock
12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Alex who?

Romeo Delight
12-29-2007, 01:12 AM
All I know is Bob, being at the show, I can't believe anyone - even a casual fan - could possibly miss it.

It was that good.

See them now, AND when Mike returns.

Life is just too short.

letsrock
12-29-2007, 02:02 AM
If they ever let MA back. Right.

DLRISVH7884
12-30-2007, 07:08 AM
1978-1984, Who wore the most Talked about members of Van Halen? Wasn't it Dave and Eddie? Did anyone give a shit who MA or who played Bass?

So 2007, why does so many people care about MA or the Bass player? At longs the main members "Dave and Eddie" are in the band that's all it matters.

12-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Fat Mullet is Van Halen history, and he will never return to the band. Ed hates the sight of Two Faced Anthony, even more than he does Sam. Eddie mocked Mullet`s two faced persona, in an interview last year saying "You can`t be in two bands" Lol.

Terry
12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Wake me up when it's back to 100%, then. ;)

I know it's not exactly a popular viewpoint around here, but I've always been more of a "Roth Van Halen" fan than a "DLR whatever" fan. As far as my feelings about Van Halen are concerned, well...with a lot of bands, I can be forgiving about lineups, but with Van Halen, I personally think they're worth being persnickity about.

I wouldn't really care who was missing - for years it was Dave and I was very adamant about that. Now it's Mike and I find myself equally as adamant. I'd be the same if it was Eddie missing or Al missing.

Take away one aspect and the whole outcome changes - it's still the Eddie Van Halen Band.

I can understand the "all or nothing" position with regards to CVH. I agree with it, actually.

I don't really see Van Halen 2007 as a band, though. That was my biggest obstacle in deciding to try and catch a concert from this series of shows or not, as I wanted all the CVH members there, and wanted new music as a precursor to all of it.

But this really isn't a band, as much as it is a temporary business proposition. The same was true in 2004. And what the Van Halens and Roth did together in the summer of 1996 was the same thing. The last time Van Halen made any attempt at being a band was in 1998.

Even more shocking than seeing Roth rejoin the Van Halens after it looked like it would never happen would be seeing Roth and the Van Halens actually doing anything in terms of new music once the tour ends. Yes, they may do another tour and perhaps put out a box set of CVH material at some point, and possibly Anthony may play with the group again at some point...

This feels more like a case of both Roth and the Van Halens having a lack of acceptable career options, both (finally) concluding with one another that reforming was a viable option, and basically making the inference to the fans, "Well, this isn't 100% of what you have wanted to see all this years, but it's as close as you're gonna get. Take it or leave it."

The personalities of those involved are such that it would be difficult to see the stability needed to be a successful band with a future beyond merely conjuring up what has already happened.

That's my two cents, anyway. As is with most things, it took me awhile to figure out what it was rather than trying to fit it into the slot of what I had hoped it would be. Once I did, the rest was easy.

hideyoursheep
12-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
I enjoy the spinning Ohio State helmet, just as LSU will leave them.
You're from Ohio, and you're pulling for LSWho?

Must be a Michigan fan...:rolleyes:

How 'bout a spinning Appalachian St. helmet? :D

hideyoursheep
12-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Always has been, post-'86.

That says it all right there. MA was NEVER that important an ingredient.
Nor is he now.

I kinda get where you're coming from on the 100% CVH angle, at the same time, VH will never be 100% again-with or without Mike Hagar.

Ed will make sure of that.

Dave belongs with VH we all agree.
As does obviously Ed and his brother.

MA I can do without.
Had MA quit/been fired after '84, I doubt you would insist he be there,yes?

BUT-
if Dave left in '85 and Mike followed HIM, who would need to come back the most?

KnowhutI'msayin?

vegas81
12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
you are thinking way to hard , either go to the show or don't , accept it or ignore it , like it or not , it is what it is.......

stop the multiple thoughts before your head explodes.

hideyoursheep
12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by vegas81
you are thinking way to hard , either go to the show or don't , accept it or ignore it , like it or not , it is what it is.......

stop the multiple thoughts before your head explodes.

1)My head is fine. Trying to get a feel as to why MA is so important
is what I'm doing.

2)I am going.

Unless Dave leaves before they get here.:p

jgdrag
12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
After everything, even if bassplayer was there, it still would not be CVH

hideyoursheep
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Very true, sir!

letsrock
12-31-2007, 12:37 AM
I would love to see a spinning App State helmet. that would be funny for some other forums i go to.

I actually Love Ohio State, i just get tired of the media whores that they are. But after traveling all over the USA while in the Air force, i will say this. OSU fans are the biggest cry babies in sports.

12-31-2007, 06:50 AM
" You can`t be in two bands"
Ed, mocking Fat Mullet`s two faced personality in 2006. LOl

hideyoursheep
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
I would love to see a spinning App State helmet. that would be funny for some other forums i go to.

There are other forums???:p

OSU fans are the biggest cry babies in sports.
I don't see why-we have nothing to cry about. There seems to be more crying from the SEC thinking only they have the right to be in the NC this year-all because of 1 game last year that OSU took for granted.
We'll see.

Enough sports.

letsrock
01-02-2008, 01:06 AM
At least Michigan beat the National Champion today.
Lets see Michigan was unranked for the Bowl game and Florida was #9.

Amazing.

letsrock
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
http://www.buckeyes247.com/

here is the main site.

http://fans247.com/forums/

http://www.fans247.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

This last one goes straight to Ohio State.
The other 2 above are just there. So you can see everything.

http://www.fans247.com/forums/index.php?showforum=194

Hope those help, these moderators do not allow any cussing over there. I know.

letsrock
01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
bump

thome
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Could be the greatest first post for a thread eva.