PDA

View Full Version : Yeah Bitches!!!

Ozzy Fudd
12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
NEW YORK(AP) After weeks of insisting they wouldn't cave in, NFL officials did just that Wednesday. Now all of America can see the Patriots' shot at history.

Saturday night's game between New England and the New York Giants on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs, will be simulcast on CBS and NBC.

The Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement after the league announced it was reversing course. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."

NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky said officials would have no further comment Wednesday.

The NFL had claimed that the onus of making the game widely available fell on the major cable providers with which the league has bitterly feuded. Companies such as Comcast and Time Warner have declined to carry the network as part of basic packages.

But lawmakers have pressured the NFL to ensure more viewers could see the game. Last week, two prominent members of the Senate Judiciary Committee sent a letter to Goodell threatening to reconsider the league's antitrust exemption.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who co-wrote the letter with Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he was "delighted" by the NFL's concession.

"I think it was a smart move on their part," he said in a phone interview.

I got my Christmas Wish:cool:

Little Texan
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
"What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network.

It's not that there has been a high demand for the NFL Network, but that the NFL Network has had exclusive broadcasting rights to some huge games that people wanted to see, and could only see if they had the NFL Network.

Redballjets88
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
well all i can say is, Go Giants!

and I'm a Cowboys fan.

Ozzy Fudd
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm gonna tell ya's i was bummed out big time until i seen that on our local Road Runner Page. i just hadda share this wonnerful news. Go Giants....cuz i'm a fan. but i hope the pats get the win settin a record for the NFL. truthfully i want them in the SB to win. makin it a undefeted season....com-on we all do, don't we?

knuckleboner
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
nothing to do with caving.

the ONLY reason the NFL wanted the game exclusively on the NFL network was to get subscribers to encourage their cable companies to carry the NFLN.

however, the NFL looked at the possible benefits of that and weighed it against the CERTAINTY of cash payments from NBC and CBS to carry this game, and said, let's just take the couple million up front.

and, who cares about the pats/giants? i just need the skins to beat the cowgirls...;)

Little Texan
12-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
well all i can say is, Go Giants!

and I'm a Cowboys fan.

Yep. This is one of those rare times when I'll be rooting for the Giants!

Little Texan
12-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
but i hope the pats get the win settin a record for the NFL. truthfully i want them in the SB to win. makin it a undefeted season....com-on we all do, don't we?

Uh...

NO.

BITEYOASS
12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
And why the fuck the NFL wanted to start their own damn cable network is beyond me. Especially since it would only be able to earn revenue for half of the year, whereas most sports oriented cable networks operate 24/7. Guess the league would rather have it's collective head stuck up it's ass rather than show their games on Fox Sports or ESPN.