PDA

View Full Version : FrankenStrat • Chip Ellis

VAN HLN CA
01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Had a chance to hang with him at 2nd Anaheim show and have to say he is a pretty cool cat.

We talked about his 300 custom built gems and now I want one more than ever. They are all distributed and I asked if he got one as a gift. He had to buy one, company cost at least.

He does have the prototype though and that must be priceless.

Can not wait to see it, maybe hold it?

Anyone here have a chance to play one of the 300 or buy one?

One guy bought 3 as an investment, shit I'd be happy with one. Probably would seal it and never play it so for now it's a dream.

letsrock
01-05-2008, 05:28 PM
bump

hideyoursheep
01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by letsrock
My bumps, my bumps, my lovely lady bumps. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e371/KateRhoda/valtrex.jpg:eek:

Diamondjimi
01-05-2008, 07:50 PM
bump

Whew !

Good thing ya bumped this for us. Seeing as it was posted TODAY!
Threads tend to get away fast sometimes...:rolleyes:

indeedido
01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I played one. It was funny because when I opened the case, it looked like a bigger piece of shit than I thought it would. However, it did play like a dream. It is a great, easy playing guitar with nice low action. Not worth that much ca$h, but a chance of a lifetime as I'm sure I'll never see one again.

jhale667
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
For $25k, it better play well...:D

jhale667
01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
:D Of course, if I was a gazillionaire or something, I might buy one for the heck of it.

http://e.photos.cx/EVH_Frankenstein_Frontsm-b44.jpg

They are cool..:rolleyes:

letsrock
01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
bump

VAN HLN CA
01-06-2008, 02:03 AM
letsrock,

bump and grind your open mind.

How much time did it take to bump the whole board? Is it some sexual thrill or do you just need to get outta the house?

VAN HLN CA
01-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by indeedido
I played one. It was funny because when I opened the case, it looked like a bigger piece of shit than I thought it would. However, it did play like a dream. It is a great, easy playing guitar with nice low action. Not worth that much ca$h, but a chance of a lifetime as I'm sure I'll never see one again.

What do you mean? Not accurate detail or just precise and true to the worn original.
Guitar Center here wont even let you touch them or display. You have to roll the dice and buy first.
Play through a EVH amp? Brown?

Nitro Express
01-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by indeedido

I can just see someone telling people who don't know what a Frankenstrat is that they spent $25,000 on such a piece of shit with cheap truck stop reflectors on the back and no pickguard. LOL!

jhale667
01-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Yeah, that's debated on the guitar boards too..and there is the irony of paying that much for a (not even exact?) replica of something someone built themselves from factory seconds and painted with spray cans...
But if I had the ridiculously disposable income, or was a hardcore collector maybe...
Still would kinda rather build one myself...would be more in the spirit of replicating the original to me, if that makes sense...

Not a stab at Fender or Chip Ellis at all :) I just like buildin' my own guitars...:D

jhale667
01-06-2008, 03:14 AM
And I need a drill-press, dammit! :lol:

letsrock
01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
bump

chi-town324
01-06-2008, 04:35 PM
bump :asshole:

Diamondjimi
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jhale667

Still would kinda rather build one myself...would be more in the [u]spirit[/i] of replicating the original to me, if that makes sense...

Agreed ,Bro.

Spirit is the word here. Inspiration is everything.

VAN HLN CA
01-08-2008, 01:24 AM
My son asked him to make him his first axe, Chip smiled in a funny way. My teen has no concept of what request he made.

ELVIS
01-08-2008, 04:22 AM
My brother and I held and examined one for about thirty minutes here at the Guitar Center in the New Orleans area...

First of all, it had terrible action...

The neck was extra wide...

The rust was WAY overexaggerated, as was the corrosion on other metal surfaces...

The neck has this odd greasy feel to it that made me want to immediately wash my hands...

But the overall feel of the neck was junk... High action, strings not centered down the neck with the high E string almost touching the edge towards the body...

I was not very impressed to say the least...

:elvis:

Big Troubles
01-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

The neck has this odd greasy feel to it that made me want to immediately wash my hands...

I was not very impressed to say the least...

:elvis:

Sure it was a guitar you were handling? :D

IMO there's too many cig burns and scuffs on it for $25.

:D

cdwillis
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
It is the antithesis of what the original guitar represents to me. The original was made of seconds that nobody wanted and slapped together because there was nothing like it. It was painted with spray cans with EVH having no idea what he was doing just to be original. It completely lacks the spirit that lies at the core of why the guitar even exists. Shit, I'm glad they made it $25,000 so rich jackasses can spend a bunch of money and not even know what they are really missing out on. It's more of an art piece than a musical instrument. Guitars are made to be played not displayed and I'd never shell out my hard earned money for some garbage like that.

EDDIEVRULZ
01-09-2008, 02:26 AM
i dig mine:D

jhale667
01-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
The neck was extra wide...

That's a good thing (especially for someone with hands as large as mine),
but from the rest of your description, not so much...:D
I found it odd the EVH art series has the girly-man 1 5/8" nut width, when Frankie and all his old ones supposedly were 1 3/4"...which are manly-man width necks, and the only width I'll use...:cool: