PDA

View Full Version : 2008 setlist

VAiN
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Anyone think they'll mix up the setlist for the 08 leg? I'd be happy if they added one or two different tunes in there... or even changing up the order... anything.

Apocalypso
01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by VAiN
Anyone think they'll mix up the setlist for the 08 leg? I'd be happy if they added one or two different tunes in there... or even changing up the order... anything.

I'd be surprised if they did change the set in any fashion at all for the Spring leg. I think the band is really comfortable and happy with the setlist and the current pacing the running order gives each member key times to breath.

I've always thought some songs are in odd spots and pairings on the '07 set (Mean Street/Pretty Woman, Unchained/I'll Wait/Cradle?!?), but when you see the show, you can see there's practical reasons why some songs which thematically don't work well together,do work for band member pacing reasons. The simple reason I'll Wait and Cradle are together is they both use sampled keyboards and they're not tough songs for Eddie to play, thus he gets a decent break extended off Alex's solo spot before launching into a run of guitar-intensive tunes for the last 3rd of the show.

I think the bigger question is going to be how consistant will Eddie's playing be this leg considering the last couple shows in Las Vegas and the fact many of the Spring '08 shows are going to be in secondary markets where the band, notably Eddie has slacked off on past tours and not really brought his "A" game.

You can be sure Eddie and the band will be at the top of their game for certain high profile shows like MSG and Chicago, but other cities like Sunrise, FL and Milwaukee, WI which are unquestiobably secondary markets at the end of long runs of the Spring leg I would bet are going to get substandard shows from a tired, burned out Eddie.

T.B.

VAiN
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Apocalypso
You can be sure Eddie and the band will be at the top of their game for certain high profile shows like MSG and Chicago, but other cities like Sunrise, FL and Milwaukee, WI which are unquestiobably secondary markets at the end of long runs of the Spring leg I would bet are going to get substandard shows from a tired, burned out Eddie.

T.B.

Well, I'll be sure to let you know what goes down at both Sunrise gigs... I'm hoping they won't be viewed as secondary markets - especially considering they added a second date. I fully expect 2 killer shows. Don't let 'Sunrise' fool you - it's actually the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach markets...

Vinnie Velvet
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I think they could switch around some songs --- maybe even change the opener.

But I would really welcome Hear About it Later and Secrets to the set.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, I would like to hear it changed up a little, but here's the thing....

The majority of fans that are going to see them on this second leg are NOT like us fanatical idiots....

They're going to see this show for the first time, so here's my retort to your question....

If you were one of those fans, would you rather hear a "changed up" setlist, or the one they played on the first leg ??

Just thought I'd throw you guys a screwball.... ;)

Fairwrning
01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
They will be opening with "Unchained"..complete with flying split from the drum riser...Have a nice day.

I doubt they will change anything..but how cool would it be to be expecting "YRGM" and get something completely different. They have enough songs and ability to "wing-it"...no need to keep it the same night after night after night.

BALLYJUNKIE
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
hey .... i think dave could still do a split of the drum riser ...... its the landing fom 20 feet in the air that might hurt him ,he still looks in shape enough to do it ...... and while were at it ,i want alex to light his gong ON FIRE 'AT THE END OF UNCHAINED OR AINT TALKIN ABOUT LOVE ......... as far as changing the set list ,i want hear about it later and the full bug ,but we all know they only did those songs on fair warning tour and diver down ......what van halen should do his a internet fan poll of what songs the fans most want to hear THAT THEY HAVENT PLAYED YET AND PLAY THE TOP 2 VOTES .

Antman
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm wondering if the set list has anything to do with Wolfie being able to learn the songs in enough time.

78/84 guy
01-08-2008, 11:39 PM
No chance they change a thing !!!

Big Troubles
01-09-2008, 06:59 AM
if they did change, Id like to see them put in:

Secrets
Hear about it Later
Sinners Swing
Drop Dead Legs
Hang 'em High
Feel Your Love

and include Happy Trails for Christ sakes!

get rid of:

Little Guitars
Jump
I'll Wait

MAX
01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

Feel Your Love

Ehhh? :confused:

Little Guitars

You're kidding?

Oh well to each their own. :)

Happy New Year.

binnie
01-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Well, I would like to hear it changed up a little, but here's the thing....

The majority of fans that are going to see them on this second leg are NOT like us fanatical idiots....

They're going to see this show for the first time, so here's my retort to your question....

If you were one of those fans, would you rather hear a "changed up" setlist, or the one they played on the first leg ??

Just thought I'd throw you guys a screwball.... ;)

Excellent post. There will undoubtedly be a lot of "hear the hits" folks going to the concerts.....

TVGUY
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
No changes

Jim Shetterlini
01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Add, On Fire and Hear About It Later and Fools but do not remove any.

More More More!!!

Big Troubles
01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Ehhh? :confused:

You're kidding?

Oh well to each their own. :)

Happy New Year.

Feel Your Love Tonight for sure!

I would only replace Little Guitars with Secrets because I feel Dave can sing Secrets better. He seems to struggle with Little Guitars. Great tune tho.

Happy New Year to you too Max

Big Troubles
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwRavTPD-P4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwRavTPD-P4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Howlin' Wolf
01-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Confucious says, 'Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.'

The setlist remains the same...,,,

bueno bob
01-10-2008, 01:01 AM
How about opening with SOMETHING FUCKING NEW?!?!?

:mad:

Polk High
01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Could you imagine opening w/ a new song

ODShowtime
01-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I was not happy to see VH's crappiest song ever, "I'll Wait" in the setlist, but now that I think about it, I'm gonna need a pee break at some point, so why not?

binnie
01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
They're never going to get rid of Jump......

bueno bob
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by binnie
They're never going to get rid of Jump......

Honestly, bin, I don't think they should, either...it's akin to asking Ozzy to go out and not do Paranoid, or Iron Maiden not to do The Number of the Beast or Priest not to do Living After Midnight...Jump is, like it or not, their signature song and what most of the non-diehard audience knows Van Halen from...

It just is...

PETE'S BROTHER
01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Honestly, bin, I don't think they should, either...it's akin to asking Ozzy to go out and not do Paranoid, or Iron Maiden not to do The Number of the Beast or Priest not to do Living After Midnight...Jump is, like it or not, their signature song and what most of the non-diehard audience knows Van Halen from...

It just is...

or queensryche not to do "silent lucidity"

i don't know where the fuck that came from. i hate quittin' cigarettes.:mad:

chi-town324
01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
give us something different....PLEASE!...for those of us who have been to multiple shows!

jharp84
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by 78/84 guy
No chance they change a thing !!!

Dude- you Fuckin Nailed it! UNFORTUNATELY! :confused:

jharp84
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM

BOB! Even though I am a "leper"on this site now, I would like to say thanks for all your sigs, and belated congrats on mod - status! :cool: I FUCKIN TOTALLY AGREE WITH A NEW OPENING TUNE, ANYTHING DIFFERENT, POR-FA-VOR!

I mean playing major markets 3 fuckin times with the same show? :eek:

VAiN
01-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jharp84

I mean playing major markets 3 fuckin times with the same show? :eek:

Exactly... how can they roll into MSG and put on the same exact show as last time?? Or, for example, when I see them in Sunrise - they added a 2nd show and I know it'll be just like the 1st show... And I don't buy into the idea that 'well, it's for people who didn't see the 1st night' - fuck them, they should have went to both shows..

SNIPER
01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
I was not happy to see VH's crappiest song ever, "I'll Wait" in the setlist, but now that I think about it, I'm gonna need a pee break at some point, so why not?

they should change the name of that song to "I Cant Wait Any Longer" then go take a fucking piss while they play it.

BALLYJUNKIE
01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
they should break down a little "me wise magic " in the middle of romeo delight instead of magic bus ........ and play yankee rose .

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Apocalypso
I'd be surprised if they did change the set in any fashion at all for the Spring leg. I think the band is really comfortable and happy with the setlist and the current pacing the running order gives each member key times to breath.

I've always thought some songs are in odd spots and pairings on the '07 set (Mean Street/Pretty Woman, Unchained/I'll Wait/Cradle?!?), but when you see the show, you can see there's practical reasons why some songs which thematically don't work well together,do work for band member pacing reasons. The simple reason I'll Wait and Cradle are together is they both use sampled keyboards and they're not tough songs for Eddie to play, thus he gets a decent break extended off Alex's solo spot before launching into a run of guitar-intensive tunes for the last 3rd of the show.

I think the bigger question is going to be how consistant will Eddie's playing be this leg considering the last couple shows in Las Vegas and the fact many of the Spring '08 shows are going to be in secondary markets where the band, notably Eddie has slacked off on past tours and not really brought his "A" game.

T.B.

i will let you all know about the milwaukee show.

alsip
01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I would love to hear them add "Fools" and "DOA" to the setlist.

Beauvoir
01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I'd love to hear "The Full Bug"....

Terry
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, but this "secondary" markets theory doesn't quite hold water for me, because the first leg wasn't all that comprehensive far as I could tell...

As to how well Ed will play on any given night, well, that part is ALWAYS up in the air, far as I'm concerned...

I doubt there will be much change in terms of the setlist. Van Halen gigs, even with Roth back in the day as far back as 1981, were pretty structured affairs in terms of setlists; they'd mix up a couple of tunes here and there, but the setlists weren't radically altered or anything like that.

The current setlist and running order initially was confusing to me, but made some sense once I thought about it...

Still, I'd just as soon see I'll Wait dropped from the setlist. That tune drags the show to a near-halt. It did back in 1984 and hasn't gotten any better with age, either.

Hell, I'd personally like to hear them rip into Sinner's Swing!, but would bet at least half the people at the shows wouldn't have the foggiest idea what they were playing if they did so; there's always gonna be some obscure tune the diehards love that the general population has no clue about.

Matt White
01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
HEAR ABOUT IT LATER

matt19
01-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
HEAR ABOUT IT LATER

EGGFUCKINGSACTLY!!!

col5150
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I may be wrong hear but, why havent they played 'light up the sky'

i;d love to hear Eddie doin a Dave track like 'big trouble' just to hear his take on the solo. Think theres two chances of vh doin anything by dave tho