PDA

View Full Version : Led Zep 'Song Remains the same' butched again!

katie
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I just got myself the new remastered and expanded version of Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same", ran home with it, popped it in the stereo full of anticipation. It was the biggest deception since I got the real story about Hyman!

As soon as it started I knew we were in for trouble...Rock & Roll started...It was the film version, not the old soundtrack album version, but we soldiered on thru it, No Quarter is again the film version (butchered to death, guitar solo sliced and diced...that wonderful crescendo gone!..full 2 minutes shorter!!!) idem for Dazed And Confused...And people what happened to the whistle in Stairway To Heaven... I grew up with this album... that whistle is part of my youth!!! And by the way... what the fraq is that flanger on Moby Dick?

Plus points... Over The Hills And Far Away, Heartbreaker and The Ocean...That's ear candy, and then again why did they stick The Ocean at the end of disc one instead of leaving it where it belongs as an encore...

I guess this new remastered edition will be great if you are new to Led Zeppelin, and by all means it sounds great!, but if you grew up with the original version and you can air guitar that No Quarter solo note by note, no let me refrase that... If you can air guitar that whole original album note by note (and even worse if you are an anal retentive collector of Zeppelin live recordings like I am) then the new remastered and expanded The Song Remains The Same will be a painful affair.

One last piece of advise... do not throw that old version away!

Katie
x

Diamondjimi
01-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by katie

And by the way... what the fraq is that flanger on Moby Dick?

It's always been there . Have you been listening to it with your big toes in your ears all this time?

Plus points... Over The Hills And Far Away, Heartbreaker and The Ocean...That's ear candy, and then again why did they stick The Ocean at the end of disc one instead of leaving it where it belongs as an encore...

Because the soundtrack is arranged in the concerts original running order.

I guess this new remastered edition will be great if you are new to Led Zeppelin, and by all means it sounds great!, but if you grew up with the original version and you can air guitar that No Quarter solo note by note, no let me refrase that...

Let me rephrase..... I've always loathed the sound and sequence of the original. Like your post's , it's just dull...

If you can air guitar that whole original album note by note

Holy fuck you can "air guitar" that whole original album note for note???
No wonder you're pissed at the new version . Guess it's back to "air guitar" school for you....Pity!

then the new remastered and expanded The Song Remains The Same will be a painful affair.

Much like your Beavis like rant of a thread!

One last piece of advise...

Yeah , here's some advice .Try the goddamn spell check button some time.....

:rolleyes:

katie
01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Just a bit of fun.

silly boy

x

ODShowtime
01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
the cuts in Black Dog and No Quarter fucking suck

jero
01-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

Understatement

DeadMan1984
01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I have the album myself and I've own both versions. Ethier way they're just substandard performances from a substandard 3-night stand at MSG.

They should issue a complete Earls Court '75 (these have to be the best recorded Zeppelin shows ever) set on DVD and CD to wash away the grimmace that the Song Remains the Same was and is.

I know that the Led Zeppelin DVD and How the West Was Won was supposed to do that and it almost did, but I think a whole concert experience would be a better idea.

Matt White
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
TSRTS is just a glimpse at LED ZEPPELIN....

No one recording does them justice....

KEZAR STADIUM from the early 70s is a killer show...and the list is beyond massive....

take it for what its worth & enjoy it......

a least they aint like VAN HALEN.......that is NO original live footage commercialy available

Apocalypso
01-11-2008, 04:20 AM
When it was supposed to come out back in early December, Warner Bros for some unknown reason pulled the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray home video releases of TSRTS. I got lucky and managed to score the blu-ray release from a dvd store that obviously didn't get the memo before the release date. Because the live footage is pretty dark and grainy, it's not the best disc to show off a hi-def home theater but the sound is the best this movie has ever sounded on home video. It includes the extra songs and some other cool stuff that's never been on any previous release as well.

T.B.

katie
01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I think Zep in 73' were at the top of their game.

Even though there are alot of fuck up's onstage 1973 and in the 2007 edits etc

This is still a great snapshot of an awesome rock band in their prime.

I got a soundboard 3CD boot of their last night and Bonham plays another drum solo at the end of 'Whole Lotta Love'

I have since read that they had a fire eater up on stage throught that solo as part of the big finnish of 3 nights at the garden.

......then they return with The Oceoan, organ solo & Thank you (should never have dropped this song) Why they did not put TY in TSRTS is a crime.

indeedido
01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Supposed to be the whole show. Where is "In between this time and last time, we managed to get an album out called houses of the holy. This is a thing called, the song remains the same"

katie
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by indeedido
Supposed to be the whole show. Where is "In between this time and last time, we managed to get an album out called houses of the holy. This is a thing called, the song remains the same"

You are right!

I missed that one, I am waiting for Eddie Edwards to update his site
http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

ThrillsNSpills
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Does Plant sing Over The Hills And Far Away the way it should be sung like the studio version and the version on How the West was Won (CD) ?

Terry
01-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Ended up buying the Collector's DVD Edition of the recent TSRTS release, but for some reason just gave buying the new CD release a pass. Mostly because I already had the traditional TRSTS audio soundtrack release on CD anyway, and honestly there really wasn't gonna be enough that could be done in terms of Page tweaking the audio that was gonna be worth paying for it all over again.

Although I still have TSRTS in standard VHS format as well as the first TSRTS dvd release that came out in 1999, and that didn't stop me from buying the "new" dvd set, but whatever...

Think I'd rather see another release along the lines of the 2003 release, with perhaps an entire Knebworth show, an entire Earl's Court show and some 1977 pro-shot footage thrown on there. In fact, I'd have rather bought that than seen the new TSRTS release put out there.

ODShowtime
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan1984
I have the album myself and I've own both versions. Ethier way they're just substandard performances from a substandard 3-night stand at MSG.

They should issue a complete Earls Court '75 (these have to be the best recorded Zeppelin shows ever)

It's my opinion that the MSG 73 shows were played with much more fire than the Earl's Court shows. The new CD shows more of this, but still falls short because of the bullshit cuts. The No Quarter (cuts aside), Rock and Roll, TSRTS, and Stairway are all superior to me.

I've heard the last two nights Earl's Court in their entirety and they are boring to me for the most part. Then again the mix sucks. The DVD sounds more exciting, but the meat of the show is missing.

ODShowtime
01-14-2008, 06:37 PM

See I can live without that. I want the fucking chorus to Black Dog.

DeadMan1984
01-15-2008, 03:51 AM
It's my opinion that the MSG 73 shows were played with much more fire than the Earl's Court shows. The new CD shows more of this, but still falls short because of the bullshit cuts. The No Quarter (cuts aside), Rock and Roll, TSRTS, and Stairway are all superior to me.

I've heard the last two nights Earl's Court in their entirety and they are boring to me for the most part. Then again the mix sucks. The DVD sounds more exciting, but the meat of the show is missing.

I have the first night on DVD and it's probably the most amazing Zep show I ever heard. I never heard so much fire in Sick Again, In My Time of Dying, and The Song Remains the Same before. Seems like Jimmy put down the heroin needle that night.

ODShowtime
01-15-2008, 06:37 AM
I have the first night on DVD and it's probably the most amazing Zep show I ever heard. I never heard so much fire in Sick Again, In My Time of Dying, and The Song Remains the Same before. Seems like Jimmy put down the heroin needle that night.

Then I'm sure you've heard Madison Square Garden 2-12-75 as well. To me that is the ultimate '75 show for sound and performance quality. Definitely the best Sick Again and Kashmir I've ever heard, period. The No Quarter and OTHAFA are stellar too. The quality is pretty much perfect, especially the matrix. Have you heard that show? It immediately sunk Earl's Court in my ears once I heard it.

ace diamond
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM

They should issue a complete Earls Court '75 (these have to be the best recorded Zeppelin shows ever) set on DVD and CD to wash away the grimmace that the Song Remains the Same was and is.

I know that the Led Zeppelin DVD and How the West Was Won was supposed to do that and it almost did, but I think a whole concert experience would be a better idea.

i would recommend the Seattle 1977 show. killer stuff.

Terry
01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
i would recommend the Seattle 1977 show. killer stuff.

Really?

Got that show on video, which was put together using footage from the cameras filming the band during the show and projecting their images onto movie screens above the stage while they played, and I didn't think there was much in the way of fantastic going on at that show.

Wasn't awful, but nothing outstanding...

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
well, i really liked it. presence is my favorite led zeppelin record. i have it on dvd. earls court and knebworth are great shows as well, but i will still stck with the seattle 1977. mainly because it is the only presence video I know of that is of decent quality.

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Really?

Got that show on video, which was put together using footage from the cameras filming the band during the show and projecting their images onto movie screens above the stage while they played, and I didn't think there was much in the way of fantastic going on at that show.

Wasn't awful, but nothing outstanding...

i just got a dvd of the december 10th,2007 show.audience film, but excellent quality. video and audio are crisp.
fucking awesome. has the encores too.

DeadMan1984
01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I have Seattle 77 and I like that show alot too. But during the course of the show it seems like the band is really worn out, still it's a good document of the infamous '77 tour.

DeadMan1984
01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Then I'm sure you've heard Madison Square Garden 2-12-75 as well. To me that is the ultimate '75 show for sound and performance quality. Definitely the best Sick Again and Kashmir I've ever heard, period. The No Quarter and OTHAFA are stellar too. The quality is pretty much perfect, especially the matrix. Have you heard that show? It immediately sunk Earl's Court in my ears once I heard it.

Nah, man, can't say that I have yet. I've actually been looking for it recently but haven't found a place that has it.

I have a TX show from April of '75 that's pretty damn rocking if I say so myself.

It's shows like these that we mention though that make you ethier wanna play guitar or drums even more to better yourself. Just amazing musicianship heard there.

katie
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Everything would have been FINE if they would have released what they said they were going to release (A Re Issue of TSRTS soundtrack album).
Which this is definitely NOT!!!

I knew as soon as R&R started, that it was the FILM version, and NOT the TSRTS soundtrack album version...I wanted to turn it off then, sensing what was ahead, but I waited patiently until NQ came on....I knew Instantly that it was again the FILM version, and NOT the TSRTS soundtrack album version...What did I have to lose then, I put in the second disc and went to track 2, rewound a few seconds and heard "Jimmy Page Electric Guitar"...I Knew then that the D&C was the 3 version edit from the FILM, and NOT the one from TSRTS soundtrack album....
Funk section in WLL, "I'm just looking for the bridge". That's gone, replaced by clumsy edit.

"ahhh dig it dig it" gone from TSRTS

IMHO they've tarnished the image of a great Rock Album!

ace diamond
01-16-2008, 11:04 PM
katie........i agree with you. i was not really happy with any of it either after it got "JIMMY-FIED".

ODShowtime
01-17-2008, 07:08 AM
It's shows like these that we mention though that make you ethier wanna play guitar or drums even more to better yourself. Just amazing musicianship heard there.

When you tune to DADGAD and play Kashmir along with that MSG show, you will sound like the biggest badass on the planet. It's so much fun. It sounds so goddamn awesome. Huge pedal tones ringing out. You start to snear like Jimmy does. I just wish I knew exactly how to play the crescendo, but I can fake it at least.

Then you can retune and get right back into it with truly evil No Quarter. That matrix is one of the best bootlegs to jam to because the sound is good enough to stand up to a real guitar.

DISCLAIMER:
I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but do not seek out Seattle '77. It's one of the band's worst performances EVER. Ask Loungemachine, he was there.

ODShowtime
01-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Everything would have been FINE if they would have released what they said they were going to release (A Re Issue of TSRTS soundtrack album).
Which this is definitely NOT!!!

IMHO they've tarnished the image of a great Rock Album!

I think the sound quality is definitely an improvement over the old album, and I am very pleased to have a full beginning to a 73 set in perfect quality. That would be R&R through Since I've been Loving You. That section is a like freighttrain and it's great to be able to push play and jam along the whole way.

That said, the edits are just atrocious. Jimmy has plenty of time and money and shouldn't have to compromise with us on products that should stand the test of time.

Not having the rights to edit the motion picture is worse. Fuck Warner Brothers. What do they lose by not letting Jimmy add to the film? How many goddamn movies had Director's cuts, yet we're forced to have Celebration Day and OTHAFA on the bonus disc instead of in the movie where they belong! It's fucking bullshit. I'm never going to watch that.

The project has been cursed ever since that moron director tried to film it and fucked it all up.

katie
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I think what has actually happened is that this version of TSRTS is the actual soundtrack to the movie.

Where on the old soundtrack CD the recordings used on that were not from the performances from actual movie (remember they where slated for this back in the day...)

maybe....

Fuck it i will wait for the garden tapes website to give us a answer.

The project has been cursed ever since that moron director tried to film it and fucked it all up.

True, but JPJ didn't help matters by refusing to wear the same clothes each night for continuity.......

I think Peter Grant summed up the movie quite well when he described it as 'The most expensive home movie ever made' or something like that

ODShowtime
01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
True, but JPJ didn't help matters by refusing to wear the same clothes each night for continuity.......

I think Peter Grant summed up the movie quite well when he described it as 'The most expensive home movie ever made' or something like that

The real problem was the director running out of film and batteries and shit like that. Not getting enough light in shots. Straight incompetence.

It's a sore subject for me because they had a chance to capture the magic and fucked it up.

Terry
01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
TSRTS, even with the original film and soundtrack audio, was such a mish-mash of edits...always kinda irked me, 'specially with the film, where there are so many instances where the audio and the footage don't synch up. Why the band didn't just put out the movie and soundtrack warts-and-all was beyond me; in trying to clean up all the loose ends via editing trickery they were, well, less than successful.

It's like a parlor game watching the film, trying to spot the parts where the footage and the audio were clearly taken from the same concert date.

Terry
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond
well, i really liked it. presence is my favorite led zeppelin record. i have it on dvd. earls court and knebworth are great shows as well, but i will still stck with the seattle 1977. mainly because it is the only presence video I know of that is of decent quality.

It is a useful show in that it's full length from one date, pro-shot and obviously hasn't been subjected to much if any post-performance editing.

I seem to remember seeing some clips from Achillie's Last Stand that were used in the VH1 Doumentary Legends: Led Zeppelin, and they appeared to be pro-shot and I THINK (for some reason) were taken from the 1977 Madison Square Garden gigs...

I wonder how many 1977 shows were filmed by the band for projection onto large video screens, and how much of that footage was kept...

katie
01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Terry

It's like a parlor game watching the film, trying to spot the parts where the footage and the audio were clearly taken from the same concert date.

Very true!

Also seeing which parts were re-filmed at Shepperton Studios UK a year or so later.
This is an easy game as Page is a little fatter in the face,
In mid 73 he went through his blender diet where everything he ate went in the blender LOL

Also the lighting and film stock quality on the close up's are SO much better.

After all the edits/cuts from 70's to 2007 this is quite farcical akin to an old Ealing comedy.
Maybe TSRTS should be renamed 'Carry On Zeppelin' :D

Maybe not.....

Cuts & edits aside this still rocks a BIG ONE!

ace diamond
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
i have the video for the december 2007 show.
if you want it, pm me.

Terry
01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Very true!

Also seeing which parts were re-filmed at Shepperton Studios UK a year or so later.
This is an easy game as Page is a little fatter in the face,
In mid 73 he went through his blender diet where everything he ate went in the blender LOL

Also the lighting and film stock quality on the close up's are SO much better.

After all the edits/cuts from 70's to 2007 this is quite farcical akin to an old Ealing comedy.
Maybe TSRTS should be renamed 'Carry On Zeppelin' :D

Maybe not.....

Cuts & edits aside this still rocks a BIG ONE!

It was always peculiar watching, say, the Bring It On Home intro to TSRTS, where they have those onstage closeups, before I found out about the post-concert reshoots...and various other spots in the movie, where all of a sudden the color and picture tone is different...

I'd really enjoy just hearing one of those 1973 MSG shows unedited, from start to finish.

That's why I like boots much better than official live releases. Even though many times the sound quality is poor in comparison, at least with boots there is a true representation of the live show.

ace diamond
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
agreed

78/84 guy
01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Page should be ashamed for the cut job. Bootlegs are the way to go with Zep.