PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this racist

scamper
01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Mr. Obama was asked at last night’s debate whether Mr. Clinton was “the first black president,” as Toni Morrison, the novelist, has said. Mr. Obama replied that he would first have to see whether Mr. Clinton can dance before calling him a brother. It was a brief moment of levity in a contentious slug-fest of a debate with Senator Hillary Clinton and former Senator John Edwards.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/dance-off/

In a world where Kelly Tilghman is getting crucified for a joke about lynching everyone thinks this is funny. She said it not even thinking about race, Obama said it directly about race. This is not a slam against Obama because I thought it was funny too, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.

scamper
01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by scamper

In a world where Kelly Tilghman is getting crucified for a joke about lynching everyone thinks this is funny. She said it not even thinking about race, Obama said it directly about race. This is not a slam against Obama because I thought it was funny too, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.

Oops I said crucified, who is that going to piss off.

Hollywood Jesus
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Oops I said crucified, who is that going to piss off.

Any time you reference the good Lord in conversation, it's a good thing. Keep the visibility high.

As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it. Neither case you reference sound like malicious intent to me. Now, I have an uncle who can't even say the words "watermelon" or "fried chicken" without dripping malice--these are the scary people. Not Don Imus.

VanHalener
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Whitey can't dance?

I'm gonna sue that bastard!

Nickdfresh
01-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Why would it be racist? Dude, you're way too uptight...

Blacks can get away with more of these types of jokes, but then again, they're the minority whose ancestors were slaves and had their continent raped, although certainly not just by white people....

VanHalener
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I thought Obama's reply was spot on and quite funny.

scamper
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Why would it be racist? Dude, you're way too uptight...

Blacks can get away with more of these types of jokes, but then again, they're the minority whose ancestors were slaves and had their continent raped, although certainly not just by white people....

The point I was trying to make is that one is considered racist and one is not. I don't consider either one racist but alot of people said the lynch remark was. This lady was suspended because of it.

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it.

I agree with this comment point.

VanHalener
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBh-YDP06m8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBh-YDP06m8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

jhale667
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
The point I was trying to make is that one is considered racist and one is not. I don't consider either one racist but alot of people said the lynch remark was. This lady was suspended because of it.

I'm amazed you're even making the comparison...

dancing....LYNCHING....

Anybody ever been killed by dancing?

scamper
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
I'm amazed you're even making the comparison...

dancing....LYNCHING....

Anybody ever been killed by dancing?

Both said as jokes....thats the comparison. When I first heard of the lynching remark I was amazed they made it a race thing. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear lynch is the old west, and I'm originally from the south.

jhale667
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Both said as jokes....thats the comparison. When I first heard of the lynching remark I was amazed they made it a race thing. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear lynch is the old west, and I'm originally from the south.

Maybe so, but one is a joke about gauging someone's dance skills, and one is about KILLING someone....and I'm from the south too, and that's not the first analogy that pops into my mind....:rolleyes:

scamper
01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Maybe so, but one is a joke about gauging someone's dance skills, and one is about KILLING someone....and I'm from the south too, and that's not the first analogy that pops into my mind....:rolleyes:

So you're saying that it's what you're joking about not who you're joking about?

blonddgirl777
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
So you're saying that it's what you're joking about not who you're joking about?

In the case of Dancing Vs Lynching...

The blacks have good reasons to be offended by lynching jokes... Some of their ancestors DID get lynched and as everyone knows, those crimes against humanity and the humiliation can be hard to forget.

But it always comes down to the same fact; WHITE MEN are the ones who have to watch everything they say or do... There will always be a woman or an ethnicity to come back and cry o'sexism/racism... sometimes being reasonable, sometimes not!

blonddgirl777
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Some black people must be sick and tired to hear everyone assuming that blacks can dance, run or jump better...

It's like saying that they are only good at the physical stuff, due to their natural body structures. Because the "important" intellectual matters are mostly left in the hands of white men!

And until now (soon to change, maybe), we still see the colour differences between what goes on in the white house and the professional basketball courts.

LoungeMachine
01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
[

, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.

That would be me.

Let me know how I can help. :cool:

:gulp:

blonddgirl777
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
... Let me know how I can help. :cool:

O.K., could you tell these guys to stop degrading women, calling them bitches and hores right and left?
;) :p

blonddgirl777
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I guess I'm just gonne have to go find an old made's knitting circle forum somewhere!
L.O.L.

Broncos Garage
01-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Say, Haven't there been more than a few white people that were Lynched throughout history as well?

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Broncos Garage
Say, Haven't there been more than a few white people that were Lynched throughout history as well?

Yes, and...???

jhale667
01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Broncos Garage

Either you're confusing the difference between hanging and lynching, or you're just trying to be a moron. :rolleyes:
And even if it did happen, how lopsided ya think THAT statistic is there, sparky?

Originally posted by blonddgirl777

But it always comes down to the same fact; WHITE MEN are the ones who have to watch everything they say or do...

Ain't payback a bitch? :lol:

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 12:39 AM
There has been haulocaust and plenty of wars due to religious differences but whites have never been as closed to be victims of racism in such massive ways!

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 12:47 AM
... Ain't payback a bitch? :lol:

Yyyep! :lol:

I am always fair to the younger generation who was brought up by feminist mothers to respect women as equal and all...

But shall I stumble on a old chauvinist pig... man, he surely gets a taste of B.G.'s :wow2: :gun: and :elvis: he diserves! :D

I am not an opportunist, hard core feminist but I won't bargain with the ones that still exagerate in their actions and words!

WACF
01-25-2008, 01:12 AM
And so it goes that we must pay the price for our fathers mistakes....

Quite frankly...I think it is all bullshit and out of control.

We have spent so much time being told we are equal then enforce quotas and special rights...therfore saying we are not equal.

I don't care what colour your skin is or what type of gear ya got going on in your pants...assholes and opportunists exist in every shape colour and form.

WACF
01-25-2008, 01:15 AM

Ain't payback a bitch? :lol:

And that right there is why we do not advance very quickly...

WACF
01-25-2008, 01:20 AM
There has been haulocaust and plenty of wars due to religious differences but whites have never been as closed to be victims of racism in such massive ways!

I think there are millions of Jews during the 30s to 40s that would disagree with that.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
01-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Any time you reference the good Lord in conversation, it's a good thing. Keep the visibility high.

As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it. Neither case you reference sound like malicious intent to me. Now, I have an uncle who can't even say the words "watermelon" or "fried chicken" without dripping malice--these are the scary people. Not Don Imus.

I never understood that stereotype.

I'm not black, but I will flat out DESTROY a piece of fried chicken and watermelon. That's just good eating, you know? Racist hicks should learn it's a southern thing, not a brother thing.

Also, why are we still classifying people based on how much of a chemical they have in their skin?

You guys might not like reggae, but if you consider Marley as just a wise man, take these lyrics for thought:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwd_aqvDqZM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwd_aqvDqZM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Until the philosophy which hold one race superior
And another
Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned -
Everywhere is war -
Me say war.

That until there no longer
First class and second class citizens of any nation
Until the colour of a mans skin
Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -
Me say war.

That until the basic human rights
Are equally guaranteed to all,
Without regard to race -
Dis a war.

That until that day
The dream of lasting peace,
World citizenship
Rule of international morality
Will remain in but a fleeting illusion to be pursued,
But never attained -
Now everywhere is war - war.

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes
That hold our brothers in angola,
In mozambique,
South africa
Sub-human bondage
Have been toppled,
Utterly destroyed -
Well, everywhere is war -
Me say war.

War in the east,
War in the west,
War up north,
War down south -
War - war -
Rumours of war.
And until that day,
The african continent
Will not know peace,
We africans will fight - we find it necessary -
And we know we shall win
As we are confident
In the victory

Of good over evil -
Good over evil, yeah!
Good over evil -
Good over evil, yeah!
Good over evil -
Good over evil, yeah!

jhale667
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by WACF
And that right there is why we do not advance very quickly...

Yes, sarcasm is a terrible thing...:rolleyes:

WACF
01-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Yes, sarcasm is a terrible thing...:rolleyes:

It can also be brilliant.

My point is...You are right...sarcasm or not...people believe in payback and never move on.

jhale667
01-25-2008, 02:16 AM
It can also be brilliant.

My point is...You are right...sarcasm or not...people believe in payback and never move on.

I see your point too, but you have to realize - in a way it's like white society is paying off a 400-year debt.
A pretty substantial one at that. You're actually managing to pay off your principal, not just your interest ;) but it still takes time...

I could make a joke about only half-believing that, but I'm not going there tonight...:D

scamper
01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
That would be me.

Let me know how I can help. :cool:

Can we change the rule that says men can never win an argument, and also the one that says the Atlanta Falcons can never ever have two winning seasons in a row?

LoungeMachine
01-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Can we change the rule that says men can never win an argument,

Sorry, man. Impossible.

the one that says the Atlanta Falcons can never ever have two winning seasons in a row?

Sure I could, but where's the fun in that?
:D

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I think there are millions of Jews during the 30s to 40s that would disagree with that.

Maybe you should read my post again, 'cause we're on the same page here...

Unless it's been decided otherwise lately, Jews are of the same RACE than the W.A.S.P... Just different religion. And that's what I was reffering to, mentionning the haulocaust of the 30's and 40's.

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
And so it goes that we must pay the price for our fathers mistakes....

Not ONLY for your father's mistakes... but also for the ones of thousands of people that still talk and act like your fathers and fathers before them...
to this day!

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
... My point is...You are right...sarcasm or not...people believe in payback and never move on.

Call it "payback" or whatever you want, the offended ones by injustices (at every levels) actually call it... to MOVE ON!

How do you think equal rights came to what they are today? Certainly NOT by waiting for the racist and/or chauvinist males to hand it out freely!!!

And there is still a lot of work to be accomplished... to get to FULLY equal!

If you can't see that, then it means that you (the comfortable one) do not want to move on!

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry, man. Impossible...

I see that your wife/girlfriend has trained you very well! ;)
L.O.L. :p

VanHalener
01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Now is this comedy, or a store camera?

:rofl: "...I'm gonna blow this muthafuker up if I don't get my muthafuken change."

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVA85chGq70&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YVA85chGq70&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I think it's comedy... why arguing with a stupid kid, when you can just throw him out of your store?
He'd have been out on his butt, at the first insult!

WACF
01-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe you should read my post again, 'cause we're on the same page here...

Unless it's been decided otherwise lately, Jews are of the same RACE than the W.A.S.P... Just different religion. And that's what I was reffering to, mentionning the haulocaust of the 30's and 40's.

I may not quite get what you mean(I can be quite dense).

I think racism can be tied to religion, regardless of race...even during the black plague Jews were singled out as the ones that did it.

WACF
01-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Not ONLY for your father's mistakes... but also for the ones of thousands of people that still talk and act like your fathers and fathers before them...
to this day!

Well...they are all our fathers...and they long dead and gone...how long do we pay for?

For idiots that keep it up today...there are laws in place to stop some of what they do...and it is up to us when we meet them to keep them honest in todays world.

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Well...they are all our fathers...and they long dead and gone...how long do we pay for?

For idiots that keep it up today...there are laws in place to stop some of what they do...and it is up to us when we meet them to keep them honest in todays world.

I agree...

My father, all of my uncles, all of my male friends and my husband are good guys that always treat women with respect. They are the kind if guys who would stop at the side of a freeway to help a lady with a flat tire without any bad intentions at all...

I totally understand men's frustration when women put them all in the same basket... I don't do that.

But because of a bunch of ass holes and some maniacs, girls are raised to trust no-one. And it is too bad...

The good ones (wich I beleive are in majority) get to pay for the bads! :(

WACF
01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Call it "payback" or whatever you want, the offended ones by injustices (at every levels) actually call it... to MOVE ON!

How do you think equal rights came to what they are today? Certainly NOT by waiting for the racist and/or chauvinist males to hand it out freely!!!

And there is still a lot of work to be accomplished... to get to FULLY equal!

If you can't see that, then it means that you (the comfortable one) do not want to move on!

Naturally racists and chavinists did not make change...I can only imagine the stone wall they would put up.

It took brave forward thinking people to do so...does more work need to be done?

I do not know how more...but I do not doubt it.

My point is...if you need to take away someone's rights to elevate anothers...you are saying we are not equal.

I think what you do not see is this.

If we are truly equal...then your sex or race should never be on a job application.

You should get the job based on qualifications.

When you preach equality...then make special privilages and rights...then we really are not equal are we.

I have 2 daughters...I want them to have every opportunity they can have...and they will have to work for it...just like everyone else.

I think we are all equal(though I will always open a door for the fairer sex)...yet you think I have not "moved on"...I do not know where you are coming from.

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 06:06 PM

I agree...

My father, all of my uncles, all of my male friends and my husband are good guys that always treat women with respect. They are the kind if guys who would stop at the side of a freeway to help a lady with a flat tire without any bad intentions at all...

I totally understand men's frustration when women put them all in the same basket... I don't do that.

But because of a bunch of ass holes and some maniacs, girls are raised to trust no-one. And it is too bad...

WACF
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree...

Maybe your last sentence is my sticking(sore) point...that is how I feel.

I do not like paying for someone else's mistakes...I will help out...but at some point it needs to stop.

Nickdfresh
01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I may not quite get what you mean(I can be quite dense).

I think racism can be tied to religion, regardless of race...even during the black plague Jews were singled out as the ones that did it.

Actually, I think a lot of what passes for racism is actually classism, and is about money...

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
... My point is...if you need to take away someone's rights to elevate anothers...you are saying we are not equal.

I think what you do not see is this...

Yes I do...

This site is so fuck'n slow and acting weird, I was answering you at the same time and it posted twice...
I have no patience for this anymore!
(The slow thing, that is...)

Is it my internet provider or what?

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe your last sentence is my sticking(sore) point...that is how I feel.

I do not like paying for someone else's mistakes...I will help out...but at some point it needs to stop.

I agree that more women and ethnicities that feel threatened need to take matters into their own hands and stop blaming others!

When I hear those girls complaining about their husbands treating them like shit (on and on and for years...) it's like... get a fuck'n grip and get the respect you diserve!
Whatever it takes!!!

WACF
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes I do...

This site is so fuck'n slow and acting weird, I was answering you at the same time and it posted twice...
I have no patience for this anymore!
(The slow thing, that is...)

Is it my internet provider or what?

No...I was having major issues myself at the same time.

I always enjoy your point of view...

WACF
01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Actually, I think a lot of what passes for racism is actually classism, and is about money...

Nice point, I did not really consider that...I am not sure off hand but, are the end results the same?

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
No...I was having major issues myself at the same time.

I always enjoy your point of view...

Hey, I appreciate reading you too!

blonddgirl777
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't quite understand that...
I know that 99.99999% of what goes on in life is about money but, racism :confused:

Nickdfresh
01-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Because the typical racial stereotypes are not about blacks in general, but about POOR blacks. That's where crime, family breakdowns, lack of education, and unemployment come from. Not from the articulate, educated Sidney Poitier's or Barrack Obama's...

blonddgirl777
01-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I see.

I also notice a difference in attitude between the generations...

My husband's father, an 82 yrs old black man who lived in the southern U-S in the 50's and early 60's has never complained or talked bad once (in front of us, anyway) about whites. He has no harsh feelings nor does he refuse to see how far he came from and the work that has been accomplished.

And HE was the one that had to sit in the back of the bus, not those angry Rappers and other idiots that prefer to bitch and moan instead of using those resources that are offered to them nowadays and... move on!

Angel
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear lynch is the old west, and I'm originally from the south.

Oh, come on. The first thing I think of is a black man being kidnapped and hung... and I'm from fucking Canada, man!

Jim Shetterlini
01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
First thing that comes to my mind is "Blazing Saddles"

blonddgirl777
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Angel
Oh, come on. The first thing I think of is a black man being kidnapped and hung... and I'm from fucking Canada, man!

First thing that comes to mind is "get back at them"... and I'm not eaven black!

I can't eaven watch a movie like: "Amistad" or "Deadly Voyage" without feeling rage and extreme sadness...

scamper
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Angel

Since the start of this thread I've done some research on the subject of lynching, and although it's true most of the lynching in this country occured in the conferate states and involved blacks, the majority of people lynched in the other parts of the country were not black. They made up many different races. In fact only six of our current states have never reported a lynching. When they put all the states together it turns out that it was about a 60/40 percentage. As far as what pops into my head when I hear lynching maybe I've seen to many westerns.

scamper
01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
conferate.....confederate